Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2018-19 Topic + Guides Discussion
DemiDec Talk > Curriculum > Academic Decathlon
Pages: 1, 2
ridgepoinths
Does anyone know if USAD is planning on releasing its early information on the 2018-19 topic this Thursday, March 1, as they've done in other recent years? Usually they will have a notice on their web site stating that the topic theme and perhaps the book title will be released on a specific date, which again I know has been March 1 at least the last two years, but I don't see anything about that date on the site this year. Has anyone heard if March 1 is still the date this year? Thanks.
The Evil Dr. Calculus
I've been told numerous times that they always release the preliminary information on March 1. I don't know why this year would be any different. I guess that we'll know for sure on Thursday! smile.gif
Dave C
QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 26 2018, 07:16 AM) *
I've been told numerous times that they always release the preliminary information on March 1. I don't know why this year would be any different. I guess that we'll know for sure on Thursday! smile.gif

They posted on Facebook that it will be posted there at 9 AM central time on Thursday.
https://www.facebook.com/officialacademicde...318436848256994

My stupid prediction: the history of the 20th century as told by Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire."
Lab
Waiting for the topic to be released is literally more stressful than waiting for subjective scores.

ridgepoinths
Thanks for letting me know about the Facebook post. I had missed that earlier. I guess we can add our predictions to this thread. I'm hoping for one of the following:

The Sixties (my top wish list choice)
The Cold War (I'd be fine with that topic)
The Vietnam War (I'd rather have the Cold War, but it would be fine by itself) or
The Harlem Renaissance

I don't want a geographic location and am hoping it's not anything 200 years-or-older to keep the music, literature, art and economics a little more modern.
melanie98
QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Feb 26 2018, 01:59 PM) *
Thanks for letting me know about the Facebook post. I had missed that earlier. I guess we can add our predictions to this thread. I'm hoping for one of the following:

The Vietnam War (I'd rather have the Cold War, but it would be fine by itself) or
The Harlem Renaissance

I don't want a geographic location and am hoping it's not anything 200 years-or-older to keep the music, literature, art and economics a little more modern.

Any of those would be great. I like Sixties and Harlem Renaissance the best but would take the others too. Good predictions.
Dave C
The Harlem Renaissance

Just for the record, We Didn't Start the Fire would cover three of those things.

But I'm hoping for what I hope for every year...the middle ages.
ridgepoinths
QUOTE (Dave C @ Feb 26 2018, 04:44 PM) *
The Harlem Renaissance

Just for the record, We Didn't Start the Fire would cover three of those things.

But I'm hoping for what I hope for every year...the middle ages.

Well if you want We Didn't Start the Fire, you can always consider coaching a World Scholar's Cup team this year - that's one of the 25-or-so songs they need to study! biggrin.gif
stanleytree
They could even go to the Tang and Song era of China- the golden age of art and poetry and an economic boom. Maybe Vikings or Crusades or Rise of Islam, Native American societies of North America, Protestant Reformation, Mesopotamia or Persian Empires, Egypt, Colonial America, South Africa, Southeast Asia...
Distracted Varsity
"South Africa"

plus the 2019-2020 topic of Cape Town cool.gif

Would be an interesting theme, though.
ahundredjarsofsky
QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Feb 27 2018, 02:28 AM) *
They could even go to the Tang and Song era of China- the golden age of art and poetry and an economic boom. Maybe Vikings or Crusades or Rise of Islam, Native American societies of North America, Protestant Reformation, Mesopotamia or Persian Empires, Egypt, Colonial America, South Africa, Southeast Asia...

Southeast Asia would be interesting but I'd probably spend half the social science resource pointing out historical inaccuracies. ("No, Singapore was not founded in 1819 just because the first white man landed here in that year")

txthomas
I have been suggesting this topic for years: The Civil Rights Movement. C'mon, USAD. Let's make it a good one next year!

My favorites: Lewis & Clark Expedition, Great Depression, Civil War, WWI, WWII, and the French Revolution

My least favorites: Africa, China, Russia, India, Latin America, and new alternatives in energy (what were they thinking that year?!)

As you can tell, I prefer significant events and not geographical locations.
zzzptm
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
nixonotis
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Feb 27 2018, 04:44 PM) *
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!

Secretly hoping for this
ridgepoinths
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Feb 27 2018, 05:44 PM) *
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!

So would the literature for this topic include Delaware jokes? Q- What did Delaware? A- A New Jersey (or perhaps there are other answers for that riddle as well...)
zzzptm
QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Feb 28 2018, 04:56 PM) *
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!

So would the literature for this topic include Delaware jokes? Q- What did Delaware? A- A New Jersey (or perhaps there are other answers for that riddle as well...)

Hey man, me and Nixonotis are serious about this! And I think I had the literature posted for this in my original thread on the topic, oh so many years ago... the science is Podiatry, that much I remember.
ridgepoinths
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Feb 28 2018, 10:00 PM) *
QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Feb 28 2018, 04:56 PM) *
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!
DEL-A-WARE!

Hey man, me and Nixonotis are serious about this! And I think I had the literature posted for this in my original thread on the topic, oh so many years ago... the science is Podiatry, that much I remember.

Well maybe if your dreams are realized and this year or a future year's topic is indeed Delaware it can boost participation in that state. Does Delaware even compete in AcDec?
nixonotis
The U.S. Academic Decathlon® is excited to announce that the overall curricular theme
for 2018–2019 will be The 1960s: A Transformational Decade. Following is some
general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.

▪ SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to laser technology and its
applications.

▪ LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long
work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be
the play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard.

▪ ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will
largely focus on an introduction to the art of the 1960s.

▪ MUSIC: The music curriculum will provide an introduction to the music of the
1960s.

▪ SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will cover U.S. history in the
1960s.

▪ ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic
concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic
section on the U.S. economy in the 1960s.

▪ MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover permutations and
combinations, algebra, and statistics.*
TinDefacto
So I guess we get the Vietnam War AND the Civil Rights Movement! (Well, only partially, but still!)
The Evil Dr. Calculus
My kids are pretty excited.
stanleytree
No music fundamentals it seems.
nixonotis
QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Mar 1 2018, 08:08 AM) *
No music fundamentals it seems.

We'll see. That'd be kind of a bummer!
ridgepoinths
Got my top wish choice! My returning team members are psyched too!
Stealer of Souls
I couldn't be much happier with a theme.
reveille93
Mine are pretty excited as well!!
Distracted Varsity
Great theme, wish I could compete again next year. closedeyes.gif
SamKeal
This is also the first time since 2006 that the long work for Literature will be a play. Should be very interesting.
Lab
Our returners and some new recruits are pretty excited.

QUOTE (Distracted Varsity @ Mar 1 2018, 09:54 AM) *

I'm kind of relieved you can't compete anymore... biggrin.gif
zzzptm
Just remember, though... USAD can make U sad...

How could the "Music of the 60s" go horribly, horribly wrong? Consider the following playlist:

https://flashbak.com/listen-to-13-of-the-ab...the-1960s-5495/

Some of the lowest of the low-lights...

"Paralyzed" by The Legendary Stardust Cowboy... not relevant, you say? Dude, David Bowie was his biggest fan! Also, little to no royalties required to secure rights for this bad boy, and I do mean bad.

“Umbassa and the Dragon” by The Turtles... an example of experimental music. As in John Cage experimental. Also, probably available for very little royalties.

“Surfin’ School” by King Uszniewicz & The Usniewicztones... because Surfer Music is so very 60s. Just be glad they didn't take this band's cover of "Little Dead Surfer Girl."

“The Face from Outer Space” by Jeff Barry... this from a guy that wrote some amazing stuff in his career... but this? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

“Who Are Parents?” by The Shaggs... apparently, this band was formed long before Austin Powers was a thing. Or before harmony was a thing. I think the owners of this tune would pay USAD to include this.

Then there's... https://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures...ixties-20111116

Tiny Tim - "Tiptoe Through the Tulips"... oh yeah, this one... And lucky you, it was in the 60s and even noticeably popular during that time period. Put it on the CD. Maybe the guy that owns the royalties won't admit to it and we can play it for free...

"I Got You Babe" - Sonny and Cher... Three chords? How about only TWO! There's a reason this song is the soundtrack to kick off a new day in hell in Ground Hog Day.

"Sugar, Sugar" - The Archies... most popular song of 1969 and will make you pray for shrapnel from an MC5 concert to put you out of your misery.

"I'm Henry the 8th I Am" - Herman's Hermits... Just remember, these guys were so huge that The Who opened up for them when they toured the USA. So here's one of their worst to remember them by.

"Yummy Yummy Yummy" - The Ohio Express... hey, we got "Sugar, Sugar" on there, so why not this one, too?

So, yeah, don't rave until you see the list of tracks on the CD...

nixonotis
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Mar 2 2018, 03:50 PM) *
Just remember, though... USAD can make U sad...

Boo. You're not supposed to remind us about reality. We still have 2 more months of dreaming!
Dave C
Is it a coincidence that "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" starts with a discussion of probability regarding coin flips and the math topic is statistics? I'm betting that cross curricular connections don't happen too often between math and lit...
Allan21996
QUOTE (Distracted Varsity @ Mar 1 2018, 07:54 AM) *

There is no division below varsity, Hanor.
Distracted Varsity
QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Mar 3 2018, 01:44 AM) *
QUOTE (Distracted Varsity @ Mar 1 2018, 07:54 AM) *

There is no division below varsity, Hanor.

excl.gif oof excl.gif

The only thing lower than that blow is my GPA
Peter Cao
What do you think the music will be like? I'm expecting some classic and theater/movie music like most years, but for the other music, I'm think that there will be Beatles, Elvis, and maybe Simon and Garfunkel.
The Evil Dr. Calculus
Buffalo Springfield.
zzzptm
Nancy Sinatra.
Lab
Creedence
zzzptm
Zager & Evans
zzzptm
QUOTE (Peter Cao @ Mar 5 2018, 12:44 AM) *
What do you think the music will be like? I'm expecting some classic and theater/movie music like most years, but for the other music, I'm think that there will be Beatles, Elvis, and maybe Simon and Garfunkel.

MacArthur Park... "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago... "Also Sprach Zarathustra" from 2001... "Goldfinger"... "Everybody's Talkin'" from Midnight Cowboy...
TinDefacto
QUOTE (Peter Cao @ Mar 5 2018, 01:44 AM) *

I highly doubt there will be any Beatles. I can't imagine those licensing fees...

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Mar 5 2018, 11:21 AM) *
"Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago... "

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO <33333333

Still not over the 2013 Russia curriculum. Я люблю Россию.
zzzptm
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Mar 5 2018, 11:40 AM) *
QUOTE (Peter Cao @ Mar 5 2018, 01:44 AM) *

I highly doubt there will be any Beatles. I can't imagine those licensing fees...

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Mar 5 2018, 11:21 AM) *
"Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago... "

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO <33333333

Still not over the 2013 Russia curriculum. Я люблю Россию.

Considering how USAD likes to recycle, that one would not be a surprise to me, at all.

Some others from the list of possibly affordable licenses...

"Telstar" ... "Doo Wah Diddy Diddy"... "Please Mr. Postman"... "Leader of the Pack"... "It's My Party"... and... "LOUIE LOUIE"!!! <-- if that is on the CD, the Varsities will NEVER stop singing it! Beware!
MusicMan
I agree that the Beatles would probably be too expensive. Although Yoko might give it up if Part 4 of the Music Resource is exclusively about her... and written by her.

Maybe a Beatles cover? Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from My Friends" would be nice, plus it has a tie-in to Woodstock. Still too expensive?

They gotta have some Motown!

They should probably have one surf rock tune... maybe Jan and Dean if they can't get Beach Boys.

My jazz choice (trying to fit in with the theme) is "Original Faubus Fables" by Charles Mingus.

"Crazy" recorded by Patsy Cline, written by Willie Nelson would be a nice nod to country and Nashville.

One musical theater nod I'd like to see is "The Sweetest Sounds" from Richard Rodgers' musical "No Strings."

If they expand beyond 1969, I'd like to see something from Leonard Bernstein's "Mass" that was commissioned to open the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in 1971. Also from Leonard Bernstein, possibly one of the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story that he completed in 1960.

Looking at Wikipedia lists of classical works and composers, I wouldn't be surprised if they picked something from Elliott Carter's String Quartet No. 2 (it won a Pulitzer, and it seems perfectly bizarre for USAD). Steve Reich's "Piano Phase" wouldn't surprise me. Other American composers that wouldn't surprise me include Samuel Barber, Milton Babbitt, Roy Harris, Vincent Persichetti, Walter Piston, or a young Philip Glass.

Peter Cao
Will they organize the music resource by genre or by year? I'm thinking by genre, but somewhat chronologically.
Allan21996
QUOTE (Peter Cao @ Mar 4 2018, 09:44 PM) *

St. Louis Blues except in the 60s
Peter Cao
For one of the obligatory classic pieces, I'd say Paul Mauriat - Love is Blue. Please USAD, use a song that many people are at least acquainted to for classical.
MusicMan
Maybe a Michel Legrand/Alan & Marilyn Bergman tune like "Windmills of Your Mind" or "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" Probably shouldn't count out Henry Mancini for film music, either.
ahundredjarsofsky
I'd like Joni Mitchell & Woodstock. Early Pink Floyd?

Curious what the poetry selections will be. I'm rooting for Adrienne Rich & maybe some early June Jordan/ Audre Lorde/ Amiri Baraka.
MusicMan
QUOTE (ahundredjarsofsky @ Mar 6 2018, 04:28 AM) *

Curious what the poetry selections will be. I'm rooting for Adrienne Rich & maybe some early June Jordan/ Audre Lorde/ Amiri Baraka.

I'd like some Joni Mitchell, too. I couldn't find as much of her pre-1970 songs that I like as much as her songs from the 1970s. Maybe "Both Sides Now" or "Night in the City." What are other Joni tunes you would like?
zzzptm
Hey, there's also Vince Guaraldi! "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" would be marvelous, but so would his more well-known "Linus and Lucy".

That's right, he's the "Charlie Brown music" guy.
ahundredjarsofsky
QUOTE (MusicMan @ Mar 6 2018, 05:21 PM) *
QUOTE (ahundredjarsofsky @ Mar 6 2018, 04:28 AM) *

I'd like some Joni Mitchell, too. I couldn't find as much of her pre-1970 songs that I like as much as her songs from the 1970s. Maybe "Both Sides Now" or "Night in the City." What are other Joni tunes you would like?

Yeah, basically just Woodstock. I started thinking of all the mid-late 20c singers/bands I liked and realized their careers all took off/ peaked in the '70s, not '60s - Talking Heads, Annie Lennox, Leonard Cohen, Pink Floyd... tells you the decade in which my father grew up! Although I'd take early Leonard Cohen - Suzanne? Bird on the Wire?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.