IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2010 Winter Olympics, are a serious discussion.
Research Monkey
post Feb 13 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #1

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

All posts must include an American flag to prove your allegiance, but other parts of the post should contain stuff about various happenings in Vancouver.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post Feb 13 2010, 02:58 AM
Post #2

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

Things actually happen in Vancouver?

also, didn't someone already die?

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 13 2010, 03:32 AM
Post #3

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Feb 12 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Things actually happen in Vancouver?

also, didn't someone already die?

Have you ever been to Vancouver, Mr. Nebraska?

And yes, a luger died earlier today, which is pretty frightening. Such is the risk that a lot of sports like that carry, to be sure.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
the godfather
post Feb 13 2010, 04:29 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 103

Yeah the track there for luge, bobsled and skeleton is considered the fastest in the world. Hoping Lindsey Vonn will be ready to dominate, Jacobellis to get redemption after Torino, and Shaun White to be the legend he is. Apollo Ohno to do what he has been doing forever. Also Belbin and Agosto to take the pairs competition, have our men to sweep the figure skating and one of our two girls to pull a nice upset in the ladies figure skating by Rachel Flatt and Mirai Nagasu against Kim Yuna of Korea, Mao Asada of Japan, and Joannie Rochette of Canada. Lastly I know they are young and inexperienced but boy wouldn't it by nice if our hockey team win the gold in Vancouver against Team Canada. USA ALL THE WAY!!!!

Also I'm sure I forgot many great Olympians, but these are the one's I can think of on top of my head.

This post has been edited by the godfather: Feb 13 2010, 04:34 AM

--------------------
"If you were to die tomorrow would you be happy with your life? Do you have any regrets? It's easy enough to press backspace and change an answer, but you can't exactly erase a moment in your life and try again. Live each day like you may never see the sunrise again, love like you might never hug or hold someones hand again, don't wait to tell someone how you feel in case you never have that chance, because they might just feel the same way, and wouldn't it be worth taking that chance if it might be your last? Take advantage of every breath and every minute of your life without any regrets, embrace even the pain and the heartbreak, and most importantly the laughter and the smiles you share with those you love."

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post Feb 13 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #5

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

So I'm a bad person for not caring about the Olympics, right?

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 13 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #6

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Feb 13 2010, 05:03 AM) *
So I'm a bad person for not caring about the Olympics, right?

Nah, it just means you're boring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 13 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #7

Smackdown wallah

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

Vancouver is one of the nicest cities in North America. I also recommend Victoria - they have lots of Canadians there.

--------------------
“Going to another country doesn’t make any difference. I’ve tried all that. You can’t get away from yourself by moving from one place to another. There’s nothing to that.”
― Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 13 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #8

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 13 2010, 06:44 AM) *
Vancouver is one of the nicest cities in North America. I also recommend Victoria - they have lots of Canadians there.

Definitely agreed. I had family who lived there for a long time, before they moved back to New Brunswick recently. I wish they stayed in Victoria unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BadgerCam
post Feb 13 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #9

Typo Sensei

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 4

Who's bright idea was it to a bunch of steel poles next to the luge track?

--------------------

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too
much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
"

"
Where we directed from Washington when to sow
and when to reap, we should soon want bread.
"

"
I own I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.
It places the governors indeed more at their ease, at the expense of the people"

*Thomas Jefferson*

+Quote Post
BadgerCam
post Feb 13 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #10

Typo Sensei

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (debator @ Feb 13 2010, 01:18 PM) *
having been many times to the 2002 olympic sledding track (i can see it from my house), and known many people who have been down it, i can tell you that's not that uncommon. nor do i think two inches of foam would have helped much when you're traveling 90 miles per hour. the track in vancouver is very fast, perhaps irresponsibly so, but no one knows the dangers of the sport better than the competitors themselves. the loss of the georgian athlete is terrible, and the whole of the olympics will be dampened by this tragedy. But let's not trivialize his death by attributing it to some unknown engineer's "bright idea."

In no way am I trivializing his death. It's not his fault the poles where there. I think it would be common sense to place thing like those support beams well away from the track to help prevent accidents from turning into losses of life. I think one of the best ways to remember the Georgian competitor is to take steps to protect others from suffering his fate. And I do think he would probably be alive if the supports where further away so he had a better chance of missing them or at least hitting them at lower speed.

--------------------

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too
much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
"

"
Where we directed from Washington when to sow
and when to reap, we should soon want bread.
"

"
I own I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.
It places the governors indeed more at their ease, at the expense of the people"

*Thomas Jefferson*

+Quote Post
dizzyizzy
post Feb 13 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Pink Ladies
Member No.: 63

he kind of flew over the little wall at the top of the track that was supposed to keep him away from said supports.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 14 2010, 05:08 AM
Post #12

touha po ztracené

Apparently, the South Korean speed-skating squad has been infiltrated by a North Korean spy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
the godfather
post Feb 14 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Feb 13 2010, 11:08 PM) *
Apparently, the South Korean speed-skating squad has been infiltrated by a North Korean spy.

That was ridiculous they were going to sweep, and instead let us get two on the podium. No problem with me. And go Hannah Kearney way to go in winning USA's first gold of the Olympics.

--------------------
"If you were to die tomorrow would you be happy with your life? Do you have any regrets? It's easy enough to press backspace and change an answer, but you can't exactly erase a moment in your life and try again. Live each day like you may never see the sunrise again, love like you might never hug or hold someones hand again, don't wait to tell someone how you feel in case you never have that chance, because they might just feel the same way, and wouldn't it be worth taking that chance if it might be your last? Take advantage of every breath and every minute of your life without any regrets, embrace even the pain and the heartbreak, and most importantly the laughter and the smiles you share with those you love."

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 14 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #14

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (the godfather @ Feb 13 2010, 10:19 PM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Feb 13 2010, 11:08 PM) *

That was ridiculous they were going to sweep, and instead let us get two on the podium. No problem with me. And go Hannah Kearney way to go in winning USA's first gold of the Olympics.

Her run was beastly. I thought the French Canadian had gold for sure, but she topped it.

Wow, that was an impressive luge run by that Swiss guy. He looked like he might be seriously injured, but he actually hung onto his sled and recovered. I was afraid we were going to have another dude die on this track.

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Feb 14 2010, 05:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Feb 14 2010, 06:48 AM
Post #15

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Member No.: 25

Short track speed skating has people crash into each other in like every Olympics. I still remember the one time Ohno and some South Korean skater knocked down like 3 other people and the slow Australian that was dead last just waltzed past everyone to get the gold.

Also...LOL at the failed podium that didn't go up to be lit last night.

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
the godfather
post Feb 14 2010, 07:17 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Feb 14 2010, 12:48 AM) *
Short track speed skating has people crash into each other in like every Olympics. I still remember the one time Ohno and some South Korean skater knocked down like 3 other people and the slow Australian that was dead last just waltzed past everyone to get the gold.

I remember that the Korean totally took Ohno to the ground it was so blantly obvious, but it doesn't matter because a DQ in the finals doesn't do anything. As for the Australian he was last but wasn't that far off the pace.

As for the torch lighting fiasco that is embarrassing for Canada. You spend years preparing for this and have a situation where it malfunctions is unacceptable with the whole world watching. Especially with what China did I know its not the same, but what happened is flat-out embarrassing and a situation that definitely should not happen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 14 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #17

touha po ztracené

I can't imagine Stephen Harper losing any sleep over it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Feb 14 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #18

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Feb 13 2010, 11:45 PM) *
I can't imagine Stephen Harper losing any sleep over it.

I blame video games for your lack of a wild and vivid imagination.

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
rickshawman
post Feb 14 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #19

A Decathlete No More :\

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 56

QUOTE (the godfather @ Feb 14 2010, 12:17 AM) *
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Feb 14 2010, 12:48 AM) *

I remember that the Korean totally took Ohno to the ground it was so blantly obvious, but it doesn't matter because a DQ in the finals doesn't do anything. As for the Australian he was last but wasn't that far off the pace.

As for the torch lighting fiasco that is embarrassing for Canada. You spend years preparing for this and have a situation where it malfunctions is unacceptable with the whole world watching. Especially with what China did I know its not the same, but what happened is flat-out embarrassing and a situation that definitely should not happen.

funny thing, all my korean friends hate ohno because they think he took down the korean guy. its all in perspective, i guess.

--------------------
Mountain Pointe Decathlon 2005 - 2009
Arizona Overall High Scorer 2009

+Quote Post
the godfather
post Feb 14 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Fast forward to about 2:15 and there you can clearly see that on his way down the Korean reached his arm out and grabbed at Ohno's leg. But seriously though although I don't have a problem with Bradbury the Australian winning but he might be the luckiest man ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJAZHsEkb4...feature=related

This post has been edited by the godfather: Feb 14 2010, 10:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 03:57 PM