> Random Thoughts About Random Thoughts Topic, Back again
Widget!
post Mar 30 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #3981

Worst Influence

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (Dr. Roffles @ Mar 29 2010, 05:30 PM) *
i read war and peace. i was a literate youngster.

...at two and a half?

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Mar 30 2010, 04:40 AM
Post #3982

Worst Influence

QUOTE (the godfather @ Mar 29 2010, 09:21 PM) *
I feel like I'm at a crossroads in my life. I have always been the so-called "nice guy" I'm always willing to help others, listen to their problems and give advice, and just be there no matter what. I'm talking both about guys and girls although in this situation its more towards girls. I have never expected any reward just being complimented and see someone happy is good enough for me. However, now I'm in college I feel like being the eternal friend. Your the one to listen to a breakup but it just seems that's all you are and you will ever be just a "friend" I don't want to change myself and be someone I'm not but I don't know if I always want to be the "Your a nice guy, but.." guy either. I don't know what I should do sad.gif

This is where I would normally say, "Man up," but that would be hypocritical, as, until about November, I was in the same position.

Ummm, stop letting yourself get forced into the "Friend" role so soon?

--------------------
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

+Quote Post
beregond
post Mar 30 2010, 04:50 AM
Post #3983

Leftenant of the big guns

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 29 2010, 09:40 PM) *
QUOTE (the godfather @ Mar 29 2010, 09:21 PM) *
I feel like I'm at a crossroads in my life. I have always been the so-called "nice guy" I'm always willing to help others, listen to their problems and give advice, and just be there no matter what. I'm talking both about guys and girls although in this situation its more towards girls. I have never expected any reward just being complimented and see someone happy is good enough for me. However, now I'm in college I feel like being the eternal friend. Your the one to listen to a breakup but it just seems that's all you are and you will ever be just a "friend" I don't want to change myself and be someone I'm not but I don't know if I always want to be the "Your a nice guy, but.." guy either. I don't know what I should do sad.gif

This is where I would normally say, "Man up," but that would be hypocritical, as, until about November, I was in the same position.

Ummm, stop letting yourself get forced into the "Friend" role so soon?

Bro, I'm STILL there. I wish I could offer you a solution, but I'm still sorta looking for one. Except at the moment I'm not particularly caring.
But the friendzone is a bad place to get stuck in. Hell, by now I oughta have a smurfin apartment there...

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
debator
post Mar 30 2010, 04:53 AM
Post #3984

Oh, hello Dripping Yellow Madness

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 17

to quote the little girl in 500 days of summer, "it's easy. just don't be a pussy."

--------------------
T-REX THAT'S HORSE RACIST

+Quote Post
Dr. Roffles
post Mar 30 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #3985

Statistician in Residence

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 30 2010, 12:38 AM) *
QUOTE (Dr. Roffles @ Mar 29 2010, 05:30 PM) *
i read war and peace. i was a literate youngster.

...at two and a half?

do not underestimate the capabilities of a man who owns seventeen yachts

but since that doesn't apply to me, don't underestimate doc roffs either

--------------------
#welp

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Mar 30 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #3986

Worst Influence

QUOTE (debator @ Mar 29 2010, 09:53 PM) *
to quote the little girl in 500 days of summer, "it's easy. just don't be a pussy."

I mean, basically, yeah. I was landed gentry in the friend zone, but after a damn lot of liquid courage, I found my metaphorical testicles and asked my girlfriend out. After that, reprising it the next day whilst sober was easy.

EDIT: THIS IN NO WAY ENCOURAGES THE USE OF ILLICIT SUBSTANCES TO GET A GIRLFRIEND, I AM JUST EXPLAINING MY OWN CIRCUMSTANCES.

ALSO, I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A MOMENT TO FURTHER WARN THAT A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION IS MOST LIKELY A BAD WAY TO EVER ASK A GIRL OUT, BUT IF/WHEN IT WORKS, HOLY GOD IT WORKS.

This post has been edited by Widget!: Mar 30 2010, 04:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
beregond
post Mar 30 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #3987

QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 29 2010, 09:57 PM) *
QUOTE (debator @ Mar 29 2010, 09:53 PM) *

I mean, basically, yeah. I was landed gentry in the friend zone, but after a damn lot of liquid courage, I found my metaphorical testicles and asked my girlfriend out. After that, reprising it the next day whilst sober was easy.

EDIT: THIS IN NO WAY ENCOURAGES THE USE OF ILLICIT SUBSTANCES TO GET A GIRLFRIEND, I AM JUST EXPLAINING MY OWN CIRCUMSTANCES.

ALSO, I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A MOMENT TO FURTHER WARN THAT A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION IS MOST LIKELY A BAD WAY TO EVER ASK A GIRL OUT, BUT IF/WHEN IT WORKS, HOLY GOD IT WORKS.

I assume that this is the widget method.
And hypothetical questions do, on occasion, work. More often not, but it's worked!
I may try your illicit substances method in the future when it applies to a future situation, thanks! I'd considered it before, but it never really came up.

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Mar 30 2010, 05:06 AM
Post #3988

Worst Influence

The Widget Method is always the most hypothetical method.

My life is a thought experiment.

My life is Schrödinger's Cat.

My life exists and does not exist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dr. Roffles
post Mar 30 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #3989

The best way of all time to ask a girl out is to start all crazy kissin' with her and pop the question while you are making out because then she has no idea what you said but probably will feel bad and say "sure" and then you got a girlfriend and it's all magical and also you must remember that it is important in such a scenario to have pretty great breath that makes everyone want to kiss you without knowing who you are because that's the best way to get ladies in this world in which we live.

Yeah guys Doc Roffs knows his way around a lady you know it

Wait what am I even talking about guys i have a huge headache and two midterms in the next two days help

--------------------
#welp

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Mar 30 2010, 05:18 AM
Post #3990

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 25

OCM's guide to dating...

Step 1: Be rich
Step 2: Make sure your name is Justin Timberlake or Derek Jeter
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit

...or you know, don't gain 40 lbs in college and become a bitter old man at the age of 21 working for the government, who finds all his dates when they're drunk out of their mind at Asian clubs or all night Korean cafes when they're sobering up.

Happy hunting! ocmyay.jpg

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
Crow
post Mar 30 2010, 05:24 AM
Post #3991

Gadfly

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 11

The dreaded friend zone, much like a gas station lavatory, is something that you will inevitably encounter. Much to our own chagrin, most of us (with the possibly exception of Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site) have been set adrift there at some point.

Some tips for later:

Don't launch into profuse apologies or other weird over reactions. Remain casual; don't be a spazz.
Prepare some witty banter to minimize awkwardness the next time you see her.
Tell her you're part of the Danish royal family.
For Pete's sake, don't brood over it. That's the worst thing you could do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Mar 30 2010, 05:35 AM
Post #3992

See, the Janowski method works until random drunk chicks start talking to you as you're sitting there enjoying your drunkeness. Then you're vulnerable to unwise conversation and you're left with an infinite set of possibilities, the results of which aren't fully understood until you're awoken by several drunk dials 5 years later at 4am.

To avoid this...just hide in a corner. Yeah. Don't sit by a doorway or on a couch or anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
iMatt
post Mar 30 2010, 05:36 AM
Post #3993

Admiral and Love Guru Adama

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 8

You could just be chasing after the wrong girls, I did that all through high school, then I found my wonderful girl. I dunno, it might just have to be something you fall in to.

--------------------

Funk Mission
RIP MYSGSAB Never Forget :p

+Quote Post
Dr. Roffles
post Mar 30 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #3994

Nah, Janowski, when I turn 21 and can actually drink I will go back to the nearest college campus and mad creeper their parties.

(Warning: I will not actually do this.)

For real, though, meeting girls in college is easy. Meeting girls who are actually up to your dating standards (and expressing yourself in a way that makes you attractive) is significantly harder. In general I've found that if you're really hung up about ladies it's time to either significantly lower your standards or significantly improve on the product you're putting out there (in other words, do some combination of getting ripped, getting way more confident in yourself, and becoming more socially desirable). If you are unwilling to do either of those things you either are pretty cool with where you are now or have so many other problems to smurf with before ladies become Your Biggest Problem that it really isn't a big deal.

--------------------
#welp

+Quote Post
beregond
post Mar 30 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #3995

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Mar 29 2010, 10:35 PM) *
See, the Janowski method works until random drunk chicks start talking to you as you're sitting there enjoying your drunkeness. Then you're vulnerable to unwise conversation and you're left with an infinite set of possibilities, the results of which aren't fully understood until you're awoken by several drunk dials 5 years later at 4am.

To avoid this...just hide in a corner. Yeah. Don't sit by a doorway or on a couch or anything.

But the feeling of couches when you're happy-drunk is just heavenly! Not possible to miss said couches, damn the consequences.
My method has never failed me.

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Mar 30 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #3996

QUOTE (janowski_27 @ Mar 29 2010, 10:38 PM) *

But the feeling of couches when you're happy-drunk is just heavenly! Not possible to miss said couches, damn the consequences.

You're a first year, right?

This was a third year problem psy.gif

Don't solve calculus until you've passed geometry. wub.gif

Then again, you're in Berkeley, so I like to assume the level of danger isn't as high as on a campus with attractive girls. (Just kidding, girls of Berkeley...probably)

This post has been edited by overly_critical_man: Mar 30 2010, 05:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Mar 30 2010, 05:46 AM
Post #3997

Worst Influence

QUOTE (Dr. Roffles @ Mar 29 2010, 10:38 PM) *
In general I've found that if you're really hung up about ladies it's time to either significantly lower your standards or significantly improve on the product you're putting out there (in other words, do some combination of getting ripped, getting way more confident in yourself, and becoming more socially desirable).

--------------------

+Quote Post
beregond
post Mar 30 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #3998

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Mar 29 2010, 10:42 PM) *
QUOTE (janowski_27 @ Mar 29 2010, 10:38 PM) *

You're a first year, right?

This was a third year problem psy.gif

Don't solve calculus until you've passed geometry. wub.gif

Then again, you're in Berkeley, so I like to assume the level of danger isn't as high as on a campus with attractive girls. (Just kidding, girls of Berkeley...probably)

tbh, I think the Berkeley girls myth is just that, a myth. I got a model/bartender as my English partner in my first semester, and in general I've found that most girls you see around are at least fair.

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post Mar 30 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #3999

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
with the possibly exception of Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site

Annnnnnd I have a new sig. cool.gif

also, much of the advice so far has been sound. My tl;dr version is as follows, "Man up and don't be subtle."

Or, be like this, minus the Guy Fawkes mask.

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Mar 30 2010, 05:54 AM
Post #4000

QUOTE (janowski_27 @ Mar 29 2010, 10:49 PM) *
tbh, I think the Berkeley girls myth is just that, a myth. I got a model/bartender as my English partner in my first semester, and in general I've found that most girls you see around are at least fair.

Well, to be fair, there has been 100 years of evolution since my era, so I'd like to think there's been some improvement.

Edit: That should be a "10"...but I'm not gonna change it.

This post has been edited by overly_critical_man: Mar 30 2010, 05:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

550 Pages V  « < 198 199 200 201 202 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:03 AM