> Random Thoughts About Random Thoughts Topic, Back again
Jonesy
post May 3 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #3981

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (beregond @ May 3 2010, 04:18 PM) *
Spent most of last night ripping the music from the LOTR: Battle for Middle-Earth games off YouTube and putting it into my iTunes. So nerdy...but so good!

How?

QUOTE (Widget! @ May 3 2010, 04:27 PM) *
QUOTE (beregond @ May 3 2010, 02:18 PM) *
Spent most of last night ripping the music from the LOTR: Battle for Middle-Earth games off YouTube and putting it into my iTunes. So nerdy...but so good!

http://tinyurl.com/2boc69w

Woulda saved you a lot of time.

You're an ass.
A hilarious one, but an ass none the less tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post May 3 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #3982

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Dr. Roffles @ May 2 2010, 05:29 PM) *
QUOTE (laureus @ May 2 2010, 08:10 PM) *
While that may be true, you shouldn't say stuff like that on here.

Also, college students should not be sleeping at 7pm. Someone should tell my roommate that.

Your roommate should start a club with my roommate, they can call it the "Inappropriately Timed Snoozing Union." For real tho, I come home at 4:00 hoping to chill to some music? Roommate is sleeping and I need to be quiet or he will wake up passive aggressively angry and depressed. Start working on some assignments at midnight? Ali storms in, turns off the lights, goes to sleep (and will, until he goes to sleep, creepily breathe heavily at me as he glares through the darkness at my brightness-turned-to-low computer screen that's pointed away from him). Watching an awesome basketball game and on the edge of my seat? Ali walks in, all "I'm going to take an 8:00 nap for my headache please turn that off or use headphones" and goes to sleep angrily fuming at me for refusing to turn the lights off. Ali decides to get up at 6:00 AM on a day when his first class is 3:00 PM? He will go shower and leave his alarm to keep going off while I am trying to sleep. Not to mention the times he leaves and locks me out of the room accidentally while I'm in the shower. The only thing predictable about my roommate's sleeping patterns is that he will sleep exactly when it is least convenient to me, always. I would "get back" at him, but he's a friend, I'm not a dick, and he's going through heavy personal problems. So I don't.

But damn if that bro isn't the worst he could possibly be at picking logical sleeping/waking hours.

Not to nitpick or take sides, but midnight is an appropriate time for people to be sleeping.

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
Widget!
post May 3 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #3983

Worst Influence

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ May 3 2010, 03:13 PM) *
Not to nitpick or take sides, but midnight is an appropriate time for people to be sleeping.

I think it's the inconsistency that's a problem. I'd rather room with a guy who consistently goes to sleep ass-early than room with a guy on whom the concept of "circadian rhythm" is lost.

This post has been edited by Widget!: May 3 2010, 10:16 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post May 3 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #3984

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Member No.: 25

The fact the guy sleeps at all hours isn't lost on me. But once again.

Midnight is an appropriate time for people to be sleeping. It's not exactly an ideal time to "start on some assignments".

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
TheWerg
post May 3 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #3985

Major Major Major Major

Member No.: 48

I agree that that one isn't so strong in his favor, but the rest of the crap there is pretty much a nightmare.

--------------------
"Slowly, I began to see--as if a veil had lifted--the tortured shadow of Cain everywhere, within me and without, his many cultural reincarnations parading through my mind like frames projected on a cyclorama. He was the first city-builder. Perhaps the father of science and philosophy. His war was with God, the Father who spurned him. Of the two--him and Abel--only Cain possessed subjectivity. A complex inner life. It was said that Western man himself was Cain, cursed with the burden of restlessness and the endless quest for selfhood."

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 4 2010, 02:59 AM
Post #3986

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ May 3 2010, 02:33 PM) *
The fact the guy sleeps at all hours isn't lost on me. But once again.

Midnight is an appropriate time for people to be sleeping. It's not exactly an ideal time to "start on some assignments".

Yeah, this. Also, by "come home at 4:00 hoping to chill to some music", I hope you mean PM and not AM.

+Quote Post
Dr. Roffles
post May 4 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #3987

Statistician in Residence

Member No.: 45

No, I clearly come home to hear music at 4:00 AM after partying and doing kegstands, whilst simultaneously copulating with many loose women.

Of course I mean 4:00 PM, jeez. I'm not a prick, coming home at 4 AM and expecting to "chill to music" is a massive dick move and I would never do that to a roommate. Regardless, I'm of the opinion that midnight is a pretty crummy time to sleep as a student here. Five days a week you get constantly woken up by the partying next door. The only way to get a solid night's sleep in this dorm is to sleep at 2-3ish, when the parties/loud hangouts/band practices die down. I mean, granted, if I'm tired enough I'll sleep through anything. So it's not a huge problem for me personally since I go to sleep when I'm tired regardless.

Part of my roommate's problem is his insistence on often trying to sleep while people blast music and refusing to take any initiative to call the RA or deal with it himself. He still angrily glares at me until I go to sleep when I'm just quietly writing notes with the light off and my monitor on super low, but he gets especially pissy when people are being noisy and I'm working without doing anything about it. It's true that four times this year I've either called the RA for him or gone into the hallway, kicked down their door, and furiously intimidated them out of their room to shut them and the hall up. I'm absolutely sick of doing that for him no matter how many times he'll ask me to do it -- it honestly doesn't matter to me usualy, and he needs to grow a spine and deal with it himself if it's a big problem or stop expecting me to not only adhere to his sleeping schedule, but force the entire floor to do the same thing.

Granted, I'm moving out in two days so it is a moot point now, but smurf that was an annoying year sleep-wise.

This post has been edited by Dr. Roffles: May 4 2010, 06:00 AM

--------------------
#welp

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 4 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #3988

QUOTE (Dr. Roffles @ May 3 2010, 08:58 PM) *
Of course I mean 4:00 PM, jeez. I'm not a prick, coming home at 4 AM and expecting to "chill to music" is a massive dick move and I would never do that to a roommate. Regardless, I'm of the opinion that midnight is a pretty crummy time to sleep as a student here. Five days a week you get constantly woken up by the partying next door. The only way to get a solid night's sleep in this dorm is to sleep at 2-3ish, when the parties/loud hangouts/band practices die down. I mean, granted, if I'm tired enough I'll sleep through anything. So it's not a huge problem for me personally since I go to sleep when I'm tired regardless.

That's unfortunate. There's quite a bit of loud partying here too, but my dorm is pretty close to two frats and I don't really notice it too much...still able to sleep by 11 or midnight usually. Of course occasionally people walk right past my window talking loudly, but I can deal with it. But seriously, you can't go to sleep until 2-3 AM? That sounds like a nightmare. I don't know about you, but I have class at 8:45 AM some days, and even if I didn't have it until 10 or 11, that would not be enough sleep. Anyway, hope you have a better year of sleep next year.

+Quote Post
the godfather
post May 4 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #3989

Advanced Member

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 103

Ok I actually have a serious question. I never been tested but I'm pretty sure I have ADD I'm always moving always doing stuff, but I just can't FOCUS!!! Even when I get myself in a good environment to study it starts well but doesn't end well. My brain is always moving and always thinking for some reason it relates one thing I read to something completely irrevelant to the topic. So I'm asking all you people because you are all smart and successful how can I be more focused when I study because I've tried every so-called trick in the book and it has yet to produce results.

--------------------
"If you were to die tomorrow would you be happy with your life? Do you have any regrets? It's easy enough to press backspace and change an answer, but you can't exactly erase a moment in your life and try again. Live each day like you may never see the sunrise again, love like you might never hug or hold someones hand again, don't wait to tell someone how you feel in case you never have that chance, because they might just feel the same way, and wouldn't it be worth taking that chance if it might be your last? Take advantage of every breath and every minute of your life without any regrets, embrace even the pain and the heartbreak, and most importantly the laughter and the smiles you share with those you love."

+Quote Post
beregond
post May 5 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #3990

Leftenant of the big guns

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 277

QUOTE (the godfather @ May 4 2010, 04:56 PM) *
Ok I actually have a serious question. I never been tested but I'm pretty sure I have ADD I'm always moving always doing stuff, but I just can't FOCUS!!! Even when I get myself in a good environment to study it starts well but doesn't end well. My brain is always moving and always thinking for some reason it relates one thing I read to something completely irrevelant to the topic. So I'm asking all you people because you are all smart and successful how can I be more focused when I study because I've tried every so-called trick in the book and it has yet to produce results.

I've intended to study for finals ever since Friday night. No success thus far. I'm pretty certain I can't help you.

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post May 5 2010, 01:24 AM
Post #3991

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (the godfather @ May 4 2010, 06:56 PM) *

Well, you could always GET tested for ADD, that usually helps.

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
dizzyizzy
post May 5 2010, 01:29 AM
Post #3992

Advanced Member

Group: Pink Ladies
Member No.: 63

when I type "t" into chrome's address bar, it suggests I go to trololololololololololo.com

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 5 2010, 02:10 AM
Post #3993

QUOTE (the godfather @ May 4 2010, 03:56 PM) *

I don't know. I am almost the opposite of ADD - ever since I was a little kid I've enjoyed focused activities, long attention span, etc. - and yet I still have a hard time focusing on studying, whether it's for Decathlon (in the past) or for college now. It's just hard, and you often want to do other things. What I try to do is think about how I'll feel after the fact; will I be glad I spent this time studying? The answer is almost always yes. It's not a foolproof method, for sure, but it helps.

+Quote Post
Widget!
post May 5 2010, 02:13 AM
Post #3994

Worst Influence

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (the godfather @ May 4 2010, 04:56 PM) *
My brain is always moving and always thinking for some reason it relates one thing I read to something completely irrevelant to the topic.

Dude, this is how I did well in Decathlon. If you can create an association, use it.

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.

+Quote Post
laureus
post May 5 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #3995

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

QUOTE (the godfather @ May 4 2010, 06:56 PM) *

Effective studying isn't my forte, but I would suggest isolating yourself from everything. No internet, no phone, no anything. And if you get tired of one thing, change to another.

+Quote Post
laureus
post May 5 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #3996

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

QUOTE (debator @ May 4 2010, 10:10 PM) *
does anyone else ever feel like, the more you learn, the more you're alienating yourself from the majority of humanity?

No, but I suppose that makes some sense.

+Quote Post
tryingtothinkaga...
post May 5 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #3997

Pagan god of varsity math and wtf's wrong with you

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (debator @ May 4 2010, 09:10 PM) *
does anyone else ever feel like, the more you learn, the more you're alienating yourself from the majority of humanity?

I've never really put the feeling into words, but yes.

--------------------
Teddy Roosevelt's ghost 2012!

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

QUOTE (BearMan @ Feb 2 2012, 01:52 PM) *
oO You must have been a godly varsity.

+Quote Post
beregond
post May 5 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #3998

Leftenant of the big guns

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (debator @ May 4 2010, 08:10 PM) *

I...suppose, logically, yes? In terms of you know more of what they don't, which alienates your thoughts from theirs.
Perhaps I haven't been learning enough this year, because I feel closer to humanity.

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
tryingtothinkaga...
post May 5 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #3999

Pagan god of varsity math and wtf's wrong with you

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (beregond @ May 4 2010, 09:33 PM) *
QUOTE (debator @ May 4 2010, 08:10 PM) *

I...suppose, logically, yes? In terms of you know more of what they don't, which alienates your thoughts from theirs.
Perhaps I haven't been learning enough this year, because I feel closer to humanity.

that' probably just the hippie air at Berkeley getting to you

--------------------
Teddy Roosevelt's ghost 2012!

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

QUOTE (BearMan @ Feb 2 2012, 01:52 PM) *
oO You must have been a godly varsity.

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 5 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #4000

QUOTE (debator @ May 4 2010, 07:10 PM) *

Not really, no. I am going to be a rather reserved and socially awkward nerd no matter whether I learn stuff or not, so I might as well learn stuff.

+Quote Post

494 Pages V  « < 198 199 200 201 202 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 09:15 PM