Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Random Thoughts About Random Thoughts Topic, Back again
Research Monkey
post Apr 15 2013, 01:04 AM
Post #9681

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

Hey, the glass is half full: most of us have actually fared admirably for having just intellect and charm.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 15 2013, 02:11 AM
Post #9682

Chief Duckling

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 232,899

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 14 2013, 08:04 PM) *
Hey, the glass is half full: most of us have actually fared admirably for having just intellect and charm.

What more do you need?

--------------------
Marin Young
Richardson High School Honors 2011-2014

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
-Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 15 2013, 09:05 AM
Post #9683

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Apr 14 2013, 07:11 PM) *

What more do you need?

Discipline.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Apr 18 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #9684

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 15 2013, 02:05 AM) *
QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Apr 14 2013, 07:11 PM) *

What more do you need?

Discipline.

Buttloads of money.

This post has been edited by overly_critical_man: Apr 18 2013, 04:37 PM

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 19 2013, 03:05 AM
Post #9685

Chief Duckling

Any of you guys familiar with Day of Silence?

--------------------
Marin Young

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.

+Quote Post
Lackluster
post Apr 19 2013, 04:33 AM
Post #9686

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 219,718

I think my friend has succinctly stated my thoughts on Day of Silence:

As a queer person, I will not be participating the the Day of Silence tomorrow. Progress is not made through silence, it is made through being heard. Being silent, even for one day, is what the bigots want. "Out of sight, out of mind." If we're not loud, we're not being heard. If the oppressors are comfortable, then we're not being aggressive enough.

I guess it is sort of cute to see "A is for Ally!"s participate, though.

(and plus it's pimped by GLSEN and I am not gay, lesbian, or straight so there's another reason why I wouldn't participate)

This post has been edited by Lackluster: Apr 19 2013, 06:30 AM

--------------------
Carlos Moreno
Sunnyside High School '12-'13 Honor

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 19 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #9687

touha po ztracené

As a queer person, I will not be participating the the Day of Silence tomorrow. Progress is not made through silence, it is made through being heard. Being silent, even for one day, is what the bigots want. "Out of sight, out of mind." If we're not loud, we're not being heard. If the oppressors are comfortable, then we're not being aggressive enough.

This is pretty ill-considered.

--------------------

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 20 2013, 02:32 AM
Post #9688

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 19 2013, 04:46 PM) *

This is pretty ill-considered.

I agree. While silence to fight oppression does seem ironic, silence speaks volumes, especially if silent communication is noticeable - at my school, DoS kids carry small whiteboards all day, for instance; we're pretty loud in our silence. A lot of us also wear rainbow duct tape over our mouths, which is a funny enough sight to be seen schoolwide.
The bottom line is, any peaceful protest is just about being noticed in a way that people care about. If enough people are silent to make a difference in how the day goes, the silence has accomplished what easily ignored lectures and pride t-shirts fail.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Lackluster
post Apr 21 2013, 09:42 AM
Post #9689

Advanced Member

i guess i must be too queer to agree with you

I've participated in the past and ceased doing so because this "silence speaking volumes" routinely elicits no response, from what I've seen. Perhaps it may be because of where I'm from, but putting on colorful tape and having a note with me and a few other students only makes me easier to ignore. One of my teachers, who has made many other students uncomfortable because of his reinforcement of hetero/cisnormativity through microaggressions, doesn't realize what he's doing is wrong because I sit in his classroom looking pretty with rainbow tape. He learns when I confront him about it and discuss this with him (peaceful protest!). The threats to my well-being and others around me aren't resolved by making a mediocre attempt at drawing attention to the concept of our erasure via bullying and social conditioning, but by legitimately attempting to make the struggles that others subject LGBTQI individuals to through directly addressing them. Perhaps enough people are doing it where you are from for people to say "Wow, these kids sure are quiet today. Is that the screaming of young trans* people being abused and thrown out of their homes? How could I not have noticed this before!," but the same is not true for my community's situation.

(I'm sorry that this reeks of condescension, but the variety of farcical "one-day quick fixes" that are inexplicably popular among teenagers and their failure to affect the lives of people that aren't cishets for the better has made their appeal revolting to me.)

(also DoS smells remarkably like "coming out as an ally" which is about as outlandish as wearing a hijab to draw attention to the treatment of muslim women in our society)

This post has been edited by Lackluster: Apr 21 2013, 10:18 AM

--------------------
Carlos Moreno

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 21 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #9690

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (Lackluster @ Apr 21 2013, 02:42 AM) *
routinely elicits no response,

Such is the nature of activism.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lackluster
post Apr 21 2013, 10:05 AM
Post #9691

Advanced Member

especially slacktivism

--------------------
Carlos Moreno

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Apr 21 2013, 01:39 PM
Post #9692

Worst Influence

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 105

I've participated in the past and ceased doing so because this "silence speaking volumes" routinely elicits no response, from what I've seen.

Welcome to Arizona.

We suck.

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Apr 21 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #9693

One Vision, One Purpose

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 579

QUOTE (Widget! @ Apr 21 2013, 06:39 AM) *
I've participated in the past and ceased doing so because this "silence speaking volumes" routinely elicits no response, from what I've seen.

Welcome to Arizona.

We suck.

One case out of many that proves that you're not going to change people's minds by being a half-hearted "activist."

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 21 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #9694

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (Herohito @ Apr 21 2013, 11:00 AM) *
QUOTE (Widget! @ Apr 21 2013, 06:39 AM) *

Welcome to Arizona.

We suck.

One case out of many that proves that you're not going to change people's minds by being a half-hearted "activist."

I'll say what I told my facebook friends when I mentioned being happy to see so many equals signs: sometimes it's not about large-scale change. Sometimes it's about showing your support and feeling hopeful when you see like-minded individuals. Sometimes inspiring just one person to think differently makes a difference to one victim of harassment, which seems like nothing in an argument made by a pseudonymed girl you don't know but everything if that victim was you, your best friend, your partner, your sibling.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 21 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #9695

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (Herohito @ Apr 21 2013, 09:00 AM) *

I'm not sure what more you can hope to do with respect to trying to change people's minds about something as fundamental to culture as sexuality. You can't knock on doors to tell people why the current socio-sexual paradigm's rigidity is repressive and destructive, either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Apr 21 2013, 11:22 PM
Post #9696

One Vision, One Purpose

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 579

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 21 2013, 03:48 PM) *
QUOTE (Herohito @ Apr 21 2013, 09:00 AM) *

I'm not sure what more you can hope to do with respect to trying to change people's minds about something as fundamental to culture as sexuality. You can't knock on doors to tell people why the current socio-sexual paradigm's rigidity is repressive and destructive, either.

A sustained effort, even a small one, would be far more effective.
The problem is that one-off events really don't do a thing for anyone. A good example of this is Earth Hour, which not only doesn't accomplish its goal (of reducing emissions), but also does nothing to support any form of long-term change. Such events are pretty quickly forgotten because a message given so half-heartedly doesn't stick.
Sure, that message may be harder to spread because the issue isn't quite as terrible as some others that have historically existed. But a forgettable one-off event is hardly the right way to go in any case.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 21 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #9697

touha po ztracené

I'd take every chance I could get when it comes to allowable activism in a high school classroom, so one-off or not, I think it's a valuable idea at the right level.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crow
post Apr 21 2013, 11:54 PM
Post #9698

Gadfly

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 11

I interrupt this wholly worthwhile and important discussion to bring you this:

Eels are really cool, in case anyone was wondering. I just found out they have a secondary set of jaws inside their throats which they use to drag food into their stomachs. They don't have limbs so they just EVOLVED MORE SETS OF JAWS FURTHER INSIDE THEIR BODIES to make eating easier. That's awesome and totally metal.

Please ignore my squeals of delight and continue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Apr 22 2013, 12:00 AM
Post #9699

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

Glad this thread got back on topic.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 22 2013, 12:08 AM
Post #9700

touha po ztracené

Psh, I've got like, three jaws.

--------------------

+Quote Post

494 Pages V  « < 483 484 485 486 487 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 10:25 AM