Stop sounding so bitter. wub.gif

This post has been edited by overly_critical_man: Apr 17 2010, 04:10 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 17 2010, 04:26 AM
Post #42

Guests

The scholastics on my former's school team are like fifth and eighth in their class of 450. What up with that?

+Quote Post
Guest_J Eberhard_*
post Apr 17 2010, 04:51 AM
Post #43

Guests

QUOTE (laureus @ Apr 16 2010, 11:26 PM) *
The scholastics on my former's school team are like fifth and eighth in their class of 450. What up with that?

probably "weighted" AP classes. if a student gets an 85 in an AP class it shows as such on the transcript. however, for class ranks many (most) schools add weight to the grade. i.e. 10 or 15 pts. it's completely a local decision. thus, the 85 would get calculated into the gpa ranks for the school only as a 95 or 100. our top scholastic is ranked 6th for this reason, as PreAP gets weighted 5 pts and AP gets weighted 15.

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Apr 17 2010, 05:48 AM
Post #44

Guests

Right. My weighted GPA was 3.98 and I was 9th in my class of 2400. This was all due to weighing the AP classes I took.

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post Apr 17 2010, 06:33 AM
Post #45

Guests

Haha you were relatively ranked much higher than me despite being a scholastic while I was an honors. 9th out of 540. My high school had 8 people with a weighted GPA over 4.6. Grade inflation was utterly RIDICULOUS. Now be more impressed with our scores, heh.

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 17 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #46

Guests

I knew it had to do with AP courses and weighting, but last semester, one of the scholastics was fourth and an honors was fifth. They have since changed spots. Also, in my year, someone who was like twentieth was an honors. Used to, scholastics at my school barely cracked the top ten percent. It's getting ridiculous now. Anyone not in the top two or three in their class is no longer an honors.

+Quote Post
Guest_J Eberhard_*
post Apr 17 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #47

Guests

QUOTE (laureus @ Apr 17 2010, 08:50 AM) *
I knew it had to do with AP courses and weighting, but last semester, one of the scholastics was fourth and an honors was fifth. They have since changed spots. Also, in my year, someone who was like twentieth was an honors. Used to, scholastics at my school barely cracked the top ten percent. It's getting ridiculous now. Anyone not in the top two or three in their class is no longer an honors.

the irony in a smaller district is that there are fewer honors to choose from... crazy as that sounds. our top four are honors and then it starts with scholastics. honors can be found further down in the class rank but they are students not taking AP courses or just a few so they aren't really the strongest students.

+Quote Post
Guest_J Eberhard_*
post Apr 17 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #48

Guests

QUOTE (laureus @ Apr 15 2010, 09:35 PM) *
QUOTE (siadmg11 @ Apr 15 2010, 07:32 PM) *
One of my friends, a former state champ in Honors, had a great quote about recruiting, "You get A's by showing them medals, B's by giving them food, and C's by telling them Acadec might give them the chance to make up for bad grades and still get a good college."

(We call Honors "A's", Scholastics "B's", and Varsity "C's", typically)

I think you have your scholastics and varsities mixed up. Food is best for varsities.

if not for the food I can't imagine what would put a varsity into a chair at practice. once you get them in the room it's fine, but I agree, food for the varsities. sholastics are usually there because of a bad subject or two but otherwise a good student. they are the ones who need to be reassured that they can still get into a great college despite some B's

+Quote Post
post Apr 17 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #49

Guests

You guys do realize that scholastics can compete as honors, right? Same for a varsity as a scholastic or...varsity as honors. Although I don't know anyone who would want to do that. lol

This post has been edited by overly_critical_man: Apr 17 2010, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 17 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #50

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Apr 17 2010, 12:58 PM) *
You guys do realize that scholastics can compete as honors, right? Same for a varsity as a scholastic or...varsity as honors. Although I don't know anyone who would want to do that. lol

Yes I realize that. And?

+Quote Post
post Apr 17 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #51

Guests

AND NOW YOU KNOW.

That post was more for the person that said there were "fewer honors to choose from".

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post Apr 17 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #52

Guests

I am a varsity.

I was lured to Decathlon to get into a good school and earn money.

I stayed because I wanted to win.

I ended up getting all three, luckily. (It didn't hurt that EDC and I share gourmand-ish food morals).

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 18 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #53

Guests

What do you mean by earn money?

+Quote Post
Guest_Somedude_*
post Apr 18 2010, 06:36 AM
Post #54

Guests

QUOTE (laureus @ Apr 17 2010, 07:14 PM) *

Scholarships.
Just go one of those tonight.

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 18 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #55

Guests

QUOTE (Somedude @ Apr 18 2010, 01:36 AM) *

Scholarships.

What I meant was scholarships from decathlon itself or scholarships from colleges because decathlon was a resume booster.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Apr 18 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #56

Guests

QUOTE (laureus @ Apr 18 2010, 07:10 AM) *
QUOTE (Somedude @ Apr 18 2010, 01:36 AM) *

Scholarships.

What I meant was scholarships from decathlon itself or scholarships from colleges because decathlon was a resume booster.

In AZ, both.

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post Apr 19 2010, 01:39 PM
Post #57

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Apr 16 2010, 03:06 PM) *
QUOTE (siadmg11 @ Apr 15 2010, 05:32 PM) *
One of my friends, a former state champ in Honors, had a great quote about recruiting, "You get A's by showing them medals, B's by giving them food, and C's by telling them Acadec might give them the chance to make up for bad grades and still get a good college."

Hahahahahaha. No.

You get Varsities with food. You get great Varsities on sheer luck. There is no way to mold a bad Varsity into a good Varsity. You simply teach the bad Varsities to only care about Super Quiz, and then they get to take your V-3 spot for the Relay.

I didn't requre food to join. the program just sounded like something I could to to still prove i'm smart, and continue to do the bare minimum in classes.

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 19 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #58

Guests

QUOTE (dizzyizzy @ Apr 19 2010, 08:39 AM) *
QUOTE (Widget! @ Apr 16 2010, 03:06 PM) *
QUOTE (siadmg11 @ Apr 15 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Hahahahahaha. No.

You get Varsities with food. You get great Varsities on sheer luck. There is no way to mold a bad Varsity into a good Varsity. You simply teach the bad Varsities to only care about Super Quiz, and then they get to take your V-3 spot for the Relay.

I didn't requre food to join. the program just sounded like something I could to to still prove i'm smart, and continue to do the bare minimum in classes.

This is what got our varsities. The food just helped keep them in.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Apr 26 2010, 06:51 AM
Post #59

Guests

uhhhh?

+Quote Post
Guest_ChelseaIsReallyCool_*
post Jun 11 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #60

Guests

"Know your types of kids. Lure in Honors with the promises of 'Great for college admissions!' and show off the binder. Lure in Varsities with promises of Nerf Gun Wars and food."

I did acdec last year because my coach came to my English class and said I would have the opportunity to learn public speaking, compete with others and study the French Revolution. I'm a varsity, and I did pretty well for my first year. I hope my coach continues to recruit people by showing them what acdec really offers, and by letting students know that it's an opportunity for everyone not just kids with high GPAs, and by not treating kids with lower GPAs like they're not as smart or not as willing to work as honors just because they are varsities. The main reason why I have a C average unweighted GPA because I take almost all advanced classes, and because I don't work at things I have no interest in. If my acdec class had been an environment filled with elitism where varsities were seen as lazier than everyone else or not as smart as everyone else and my coach just tried to recruit me with food, I would have dropped just to get away from it. Self fulfilling prophecy, people won't do well if you expect them to suck, and no one likes being seen as stupid or not as capable as an honors, just because they have more A's thn you do.

"Work ethic is more important than intelligence when it comes to varsities."

This statement makes me a little mad. Work ethic is important for everyone, varsities are just students and honors are just students. Anyone who doesn't work won't do well no matter how smart they are, even if they are an honors. Side note: there is a difference between "intelligence" and capability to do well in acdec. We aren't talking about recruiting the "smart" kids and not the "dumb" kids, we are talking about who can do well and who can't. so I think you mean capability.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2018 - 07:24 AM