Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017-18 topic
stanleytree
post May 1 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

The art looks cool. I think it does a good job of surveying a good chunk of areas and cultures of Africa. I think it would have been tough to either a) cover all of one culture in real detail, or b)cover all of Africa in a lot of detail. This feels like a good survey-level amount, and based on the stuff talked about with each selection they cover some social/cultural history that seems interesting.

Science seems terrible.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoinths_*
post May 1 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #42

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 1 2017, 09:47 AM) *
The art looks cool. I think it does a good job of surveying a good chunk of areas and cultures of Africa. I think it would have been tough to either a) cover all of one culture in real detail, or b)cover all of Africa in a lot of detail. This feels like a good survey-level amount, and based on the stuff talked about with each selection they cover some social/cultural history that seems interesting.

Science seems terrible.

Haven't had time to really look at the early outlines yet in detail, but I don't think I'm going to be familiar with any of the art or music regardless of what is selected (and figured that would be the case for all of the students). I was kind of hoping for Toto's Africa to be in the music selections, but figured that wouldn't be the case. tongue.gif I remember Ladysmith Black Mambazo from the Graceland album with Paul Simon, but that's about it. The lit short selection list looks promising. Is basic music theory completely out for next year?

+Quote Post
Guest_fyzics_*
post May 1 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #43

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 1 2017, 08:47 AM) *

Science seems terrible.

See, and I thought the science sounded AMAZING. It's my ace in the hole to get those non-artsy kids interested in Acadec this year.

El Anatsui was an artist of ours from Imperialism, and we all ADORED his work. Really excited to have him back in the curriculum!

+Quote Post
Guest_Peter Cao_*
post May 2 2017, 04:34 AM
Post #44

Guests

I'm surprised how the Lit outline doesn't include yams, since like half of Things Fall Apart is yams.

+Quote Post
Guest_Scholastic Underdog_*
post May 2 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #45

Guests

QUOTE (Peter Cao @ May 1 2017, 11:34 PM) *
I'm surprised how the Lit outline doesn't include yams, since like half of Things Fall Apart is yams.

If the analysis of the novel does not include at least one page on yams, I will be appalled and upset.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post May 2 2017, 12:22 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (fyzics @ May 1 2017, 08:12 PM) *
QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 1 2017, 08:47 AM) *

Science seems terrible.

See, and I thought the science sounded AMAZING. It's my ace in the hole to get those non-artsy kids interested in Acadec this year.

El Anatsui was an artist of ours from Imperialism, and we all ADORED his work. Really excited to have him back in the curriculum!

I don't know if telling kids "hey would you like to learn about HIV, Malaria, and Ebola in detail?" is a great recruiting pitch, but you have different kids than me. *Back in my day* we had like 8 infectious diseases to study not three! Kids these days have it so easy!

SoSci seems a bit meh to me too- feels like four chapters out of our textbook for World History. Maybe for non-WH teachers it will seem fun, but I much rather prefer the in-depth sosci topics. I learned a lot about WW2 last year.

Could be the beginning of a rotation on music fundamentals between general music fundamentals and the more specific area-based fundamentals which is awesome. Music fundamentals may be the hardest section of reading.

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoinths_*
post May 2 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #47

Guests

I was impressed when listening to the music selections online. It was more modern than I expected and might even feature the first-ever hip hop song in AcDec history (someone can correct me if they've used hip hop in the past). Another video piece for art as well so I was happy to see USAD expanding their selections a bit in those two categories. I don't think my students were too excited initially about the African music and art, but I can definitely promote this material to potential new AcDec team members. And the science will be an easier sell for us as well.

+Quote Post
Guest_fyzics_*
post May 2 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #48

Guests

This science is the same as the one they did in 2007, and one of our former decathletes said recently it's what made him turn to a career in medicine. Fingers crossed that the packets live up to the outlines.

Our AP World History teacher said the same thing - that they cover the SoSci stuff in depth.

I totally agree with your analysis of the music rotating back and forth between culture-specific theory and Western fundamentals.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post May 2 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #49

Guests

I think "The Danger of a Single Story" is a TED Talk. Interesting literature selection.
https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichi...age=en#t-116934

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post May 2 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

We played as many of the music selections as we could find on youtube, today in class. There was a lot of dancing and singing. I think it's going to be a good year.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post May 3 2017, 01:42 AM
Post #51

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ May 2 2017, 04:18 PM) *
We played as many of the music selections as we could find on youtube, today in class. There was a lot of dancing and singing. I think it's going to be a good year.

I think I found and downloaded everything except track 6. Not a huge fan (especially #4), but several of them are pretty good. Can someone please tell me why I have heard Pata Pata before? Is it in a movie, TV show, or what? It's driving me crazy.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post May 3 2017, 01:43 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ May 2 2017, 09:18 PM) *

Some of the music is incredible. Had the team in after school to go through the outline and we started jammin fela kuti

+Quote Post
Guest_korunic_*
post May 3 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #53

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 3 2017, 01:43 AM) *
QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ May 2 2017, 09:18 PM) *

Some of the music is incredible. Had the team in after school to go through the outline and we started jammin fela kuti

3rded on music. Kwame Nkrumah is litty...if you're in AZ, get ready to hear it out the car coming to competitions tongue.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_korunic_*
post May 3 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #54

Guests

Also: rather nicely, in our sophomore English class in our study of TFA, we also read the Achebe Selected Work and listened to that TED talk O.o

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 4 2017, 12:40 AM
Post #55

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Ghana coffins are awesome. Get your varsities started on the team coffin now! smile.gif

Music is AWESOME, and I flipped to see Umm Kalthoum on the list! She's AMAZING. Also, her compositions are usually 30-50 minutes long, with massive introductions, so it's most likely only an excerpt.

For more modern African music, you really owe it to your teams to do some enrichment - get Angelique Kidjo, Amadou et Mariam, some High Life horns from Ghana, and Bisso na Bisso. Especially Bisso na Bisso. That is some 100% fun Congolese rap, right there.

Stanley Tree, you want to get the whole Racines album. Everyone else, listen to at least their song "Bisso na Bisso" which means 'everyone, together.' Trust me, if I was coaching, I'd have everybody at the competition chanting that chorus about 20 minutes before the awards assembly starts because it's that much fun.

For the history, I recommend "Lumumba", a historical drama about the rise and fall of Congo's first president. It's in French with subtitles and no name for the character of the CIA station chief in Congo because of Frank Carlucci's lawsuit against the film's implication that he acquiesced to the murder of Lumumba. For slavery, "Cobra Verde" is a chilling tale about the cruelty of the traffic, told in a very "Heart of Darkness" way, except it's more from Kurtz' point of view.

Both Top Gear Africa specials are great fun. Zimbabwe and Uganda, epic drives.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Lab
post May 5 2017, 11:43 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 721,907

QUOTE (Dave C @ May 2 2017, 08:42 PM) *
QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ May 2 2017, 04:18 PM) *

I think I found and downloaded everything except track 6. Not a huge fan (especially #4), but several of them are pretty good. Can someone please tell me why I have heard Pata Pata before? Is it in a movie, TV show, or what? It's driving me crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8GpMyKN7_U

It's in a Honda Accord commercial. Also it's a song in Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade at Disney's Animal Kingdom. I had 2 students recognize it immediately today when we listened to it.

This post has been edited by LAB: May 9 2017, 03:03 PM

--------------------
Lucas Beville
Rockwall, TX

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post May 11 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #57

Guests

Check this out. I wonder if that's our brass Yoruba head at the center of this.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/10/africa/damie...nale/index.html

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 12 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #58

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 1 2017, 10:47 AM) *
Science seems terrible.

See, I mostly just don't like how it furthers the idea that "Africa = diseases!!" I'm not saying it should be left out of the curriculum altogether, but when it's an entire seventh of what Decathletes will be learning about Africa...

It should have been the languages, man. *sigh* One day!

QUOTE (fyzics @ May 1 2017, 02:12 PM) *

El Anatsuiiiii!<3 I loved his work my junior year; that's awesome we have him back!!

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post May 15 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #59

Guests

Is anyone else refreshing the download page every few minutes to see if the resource guides are available?

+Quote Post
Lab
post May 15 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 721,907

QUOTE (Dave C @ May 15 2017, 09:01 AM) *
Is anyone else refreshing the download page every few minutes to see if the resource guides are available?

I've checked multiple times this morning and have got nothing. They usually get their stuff out at 8 but it doesn't appear so this time.

--------------------
Lucas Beville
Rockwall, TX

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 04:02 PM