Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The End
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Apr 28 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #41

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Apr 28 2014, 02:31 PM) *
Now we have the Decademy boys.

I believe they volunteered as speech/interview judges at Nationals. We could conceivably do that and have a DDT party!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Apr 29 2014, 01:05 AM
Post #42

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Apr 28 2014, 12:31 PM) *
Nationals has changed. USAD has made it very clear that Daniel isn't welcome and he didn't even try to come this year. The Deans are no longer involved in AcDec. Now we have the Decademy boys, and who knows what the future will bring. Regardless, it is quite an interesting experience.

I found out over the past year that AcDec competitions in general are far less friendly to alumni than I expected. Even judging turned out to be quite disappointing, especially at Regionals - the AZ state rules really sucked most of the fun out of the process.

Certainly it's quite a shame that no one makes the effort to make it more meaningful for older members, but life goes on.

+Quote Post
Guest_nixonotis_*
post Apr 29 2014, 01:39 AM
Post #43

Guests

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Apr 28 2014, 03:23 PM) *
QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Apr 28 2014, 02:31 PM) *
Now we have the Decademy boys.

I believe they volunteered as speech/interview judges at Nationals. We could conceivably do that and have a DDT party!

Good idea! Let's all judge at nats and go to Disneyland next year smile.gif

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Apr 6 2016, 09:25 PM
Post #44

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Today, I got an email from someone that had an admin request at this board, and I came back to help the guy out...

I sit in a cubicle, no longer a high school teacher or Academic Decathlon coach. That all ended in 2013, three years ago. Yet, I look to my right, and I see the photos of all the teams I took to state. People compliment me on the llamas I have on top of my bookshelf, and I tell them that they're alpacas. Mementos of AcDec-inspired trips dot my workspace and my home. Slides of trips I took because of the curriculum make my wallpaper photo roll. When I look at 500-page technical manuals, I tell myself that it's not much different from the stack of papers I had to read every year as a competitor and as a coach. When I interviewed for this job, I used every interview trick in the book that I could summon up - and they worked, I'm happy to say.

I re-read my original post and, yes, my coaching days did end. They ended because my teaching days ended and I had to move on. But I am still learning.

It goes on forever.

It goes on forever, even as the world around us changes.

It goes on forever.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2018 - 03:03 AM