Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DDT Scrimmage 3.0, GET EXCITE
Guest_Dan Z_*
post Jan 13 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Jan 13 2018, 07:14 PM) *
QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Jan 13 2018, 09:38 AM) *
For those of you taking the tests, when do you plan on taking them? I look forward to seeing all y'all's scores biggrin.gif

I had my entire class take the very challenging lit test in class on Friday. I'm having my competing regional team coming in to take most of the tests (not all seven though) on the MLK Holiday. We'll finish the rest by Wednesday as practice. But our scores won't be in that top group (or possibly even the middle group) level. I'm hoping the other tests are easier than the lit test for the kids.

we had a school holiday and took the battery of tests yesterday. Scores were sent in and the kiddos felt humbled. I am unsure as to the level of tests these are but students felt they were tougher than round 1 tests. I wish all a pleasant testing experience.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Jan 13 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Jan 13 2018, 07:38 AM) *
For those of you taking the tests, when do you plan on taking them? I look forward to seeing all y'all's scores biggrin.gif

Edison and University are taking them together on MLK Day.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 14 2018, 03:51 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

CDO is taking them next Saturday. This battery of tests is ridiculously hard. Don't be too disappointed by super-low scores.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Jan 14 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

We already took it, it was not fun.

+Quote Post
Guest_Scholastic Underdog_*
post Jan 14 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Jan 14 2018, 02:09 PM) *
We already took it, it was not fun.

I concur

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Jan 16 2018, 04:29 AM
Post #26

Guests

Ouch. Art killed us and University. Ouch. Have to have the kids bring in their scantrons now that I know there are 8 more corrections to make beyond the 2 we already dealt with. The margin between us was less than 4 questions! Can't wait to see the other scores.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post Jan 16 2018, 03:32 PM
Post #27

Guests

That was a bloodbath. I'll post scores after my guys take social science, but they aren't good.

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoinths_*
post Jan 16 2018, 11:39 PM
Post #28

Guests

Many Texas schools (at least the Houston area) will now have the second straight day of classes cancelled Wednesday due to an ice/snow event in Texas. Anyway, I'll still try to get these All-Star scores (as brutal as the weather for us too) posted, but I'm missing a few test scores and now I'll only have one school day to administer the remaining, missing tests before regionals (which might not be the best use of our time). So I'll see what I can do. I might just have to submit an incomplete team score (not all my honors team members took all the tests - I think I'll have all the scholastic and varsity kids finish the tests though).

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Jan 17 2018, 02:34 AM
Post #29

Guests

QUOTE (Dave C @ Jan 16 2018, 07:32 AM) *
That was a bloodbath. I'll post scores after my guys take social science, but they aren't good.

I'll be the judge of that. I know what our score was in Round 1 and I know what we did on these tests. It makes me feel like the last 2 months were of no value. Are we supposed to keep scores private until everyone taking them takes them or can we give people a good laugh at any time?

+Quote Post
post Jan 17 2018, 02:41 AM
Post #30

Guests

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Jan 16 2018, 08:34 PM) *
QUOTE (Dave C @ Jan 16 2018, 07:32 AM) *

I'll be the judge of that. I know what our score was in Round 1 and I know what we did on these tests. It makes me feel like the last 2 months were of no value. Are we supposed to keep scores private until everyone taking them takes them or can we give people a good laugh at any time?

Once you share your scores with Xathlon's gmail (instructions in the score spreadsheet!), you'll have access to all submitted scores smile.gif Feel free to share here if you'd like!

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Jan 17 2018, 02:47 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

None of the tests were of a normal difficulty, so if you feel you did poorly I guarantee you didn't. It ranged from somewhat difficult (music, sosci, sci) to "would be the toughest in a given set" (math, eco) to unfairly hard (lit, art). If you stayed the same since your last meet that is miraculous and should be celebrated.

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Jan 17 2018, 05:27 PM
Post #32

Guests

I sent my scores in, but haven't heard anything back.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Jan 17 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Check your email there's a Google sheet with all of the teams on it

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Jan 17 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Jan 17 2018, 09:57 AM) *

The email said a link would be sent later, but I clicked on the Xathlon Leaderboard which only showed the results from the 1 and 2 star tests.

+Quote Post
post Jan 17 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #35

Guests

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Jan 17 2018, 01:05 PM) *

The email said a link would be sent later, but I clicked on the Xathlon Leaderboard which only showed the results from the 1 and 2 star tests.

Just messaged Synodis about this—you should get access to the spreadsheet very soon!

+Quote Post
Guest_nixonotis_*
post Jan 17 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #36

Guests

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Jan 17 2018, 12:11 PM) *

Just messaged Synodis about this—you should get access to the spreadsheet very soon!

Done! Stealer of Souls, let me know if you did or did not receive my email smile.gif

I hope everyone has been enjoying the tests, even with the skewed difficulty on a few of them. I know opinions on difficult tests are mixed. I'd love to hear general thoughts on test difficulty, either here or in an email (academicxathlon@gmail.com). On the two tests (Art & Lit) that were what I would call unreasonably difficult, our approach to "turning the difficulty knob" wasn't done quite right. Even on USAD's most difficult tests (excluding USAD Hard), there are always what I call "gimme" questions that pad scores and shift the distribution of scores higher. These tests had too high a proportion of questions that were complex, worded in a difficult manner, or centered on minutiae. While USAD does this as the year goes on, they don't do it to the extent we did!

We'll be improving our processes for test creation next year to better control our difficulty gradient. Still, I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on test difficulty. Currently, we attempt to strike a balance between emulating the official tests as much as possible and making Decathletes think (instead of just regurgitating facts).

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Jan 17 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #37

Guests

QUOTE (nixonotis @ Jan 17 2018, 12:31 PM) *
QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Jan 17 2018, 12:11 PM) *

Done! Stealer of Souls, let me know if you did or did not receive my email smile.gif

I hope everyone has been enjoying the tests, even with the skewed difficulty on a few of them. I know opinions on difficult tests are mixed. I'd love to hear general thoughts on test difficulty, either here or in an email (academicxathlon@gmail.com). On the two tests (Art & Lit) that were what I would call unreasonably difficult, our approach to "turning the difficulty knob" wasn't done quite right. Even on USAD's most difficult tests (excluding USAD Hard), there are always what I call "gimme" questions that pad scores and shift the distribution of scores higher. These tests had too high a proportion of questions that were complex, worded in a difficult manner, or centered on minutiae. While USAD does this as the year goes on, they don't do it to the extent we did!

We'll be improving our processes for test creation next year to better control our difficulty gradient. Still, I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on test difficulty. Currently, we attempt to strike a balance between emulating the official tests as much as possible and making Decathletes think (instead of just regurgitating facts).

It helps to see things in perspective to other teams. Our point drop actually looks very encouraging at this point based on other teams' scores that have been posted. Had I just had my own scores to look at I would have had to do some questioning of heart and such. Having seen our score change in relation to others helps me understand.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post Jan 18 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #38

Guests

I'm sorry, but where are people seeing the scores of other teams? I emailed my scores in and got an automated response, but I have no idea where to look for other results. Probably missing something obvious, but I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

+Quote Post
post Jan 18 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #39

Guests

QUOTE (Dave C @ Jan 18 2018, 10:32 AM) *
I'm sorry, but where are people seeing the scores of other teams? I emailed my scores in and got an automated response, but I have no idea where to look for other results. Probably missing something obvious, but I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

Sorry about that! We’re currently working on getting Synodis back in the driver’s seat, so there’s a bit of lag time on getting things fully functional again—you should get those scores by the end of the day today!

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Jan 18 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #40

Guests

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed. I think this test level too was incredibly difficult mostly because we should have account more for the general decathlete, and I think if you do well on these tests, your decathlete is in the really high levels of decathlon. These were questions written by Decathletes who scored 9k, and generally scored 960+ in their subject of specialty.

You can think as the 10 most difficult questions on most test. I believe almost any decathlete can get an 800 on a general test, but only the great decathletes answer those final ten questions correctly. If you go 7/10 on the 10 hardest ones, you're looking at a 940, which is incredible. This test difficulty was 50 questions of the 10 most difficult ones. Which means could go 7/10, and get 700. Does that mean getting a 500 on these tests means a 900? No. But I think the ones that do get a 700, might be on a really high level, and sometimes they don't have the total mastery that they thought they had.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2018 - 11:31 AM