Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2014- 2015 Topic
Guest_Academic Dekatherine_*
post Feb 22 2014, 01:43 AM
Post #1

Guests

The new topic for the 2014- 2015 academic decathlon season will be revealed soon (hopefully)! Any conjectures? I personally think it will be something to do with the Middle East, South America (with an emphasis on Peru?), or some English era.

This post has been edited by Academic Dekatherine: Feb 22 2014, 01:45 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_VorlonTVC15_*
post Feb 22 2014, 02:11 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (Academic Dekatherine @ Feb 21 2014, 05:43 PM) *
The new topic for the 2014- 2015 academic decathlon season will be revealed soon (hopefully)! Any conjectures? I personally think it will be something to do with the Middle East, South America (with an emphasis on Peru?), or some English era.

I'm really hoping for something not country focused. That year with Russia was horrible. Maybe WWII or some other major event would make life a little more enjoyable in my opinion.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 22 2014, 06:09 AM
Post #3

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (VorlonTVC15 @ Feb 21 2014, 09:11 PM) *
That year with Russia was horrible.

I disconcur with extreme vigour.

Russia = <3

This post has been edited by TinDefacto: Feb 22 2014, 06:19 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_VorlonTVC15_*
post Feb 22 2014, 06:38 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 21 2014, 10:09 PM) *
QUOTE (VorlonTVC15 @ Feb 21 2014, 09:11 PM) *
That year with Russia was horrible.

I disconcur with extreme vigour.

Russia = <3

But Russia's so... Russian.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 22 2014, 06:49 AM
Post #5

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (VorlonTVC15 @ Feb 22 2014, 01:38 AM) *

...You don't say. tongue.gif

But exactly!!! It was all so fascinating and holy frap, my favourite topic of all four years by far. Russian history/culture is the best/most interesting. I wasn't at all so psyched about WWI, so I'm really glad they held that off until after I graduated. I'm hoping for another culture-centred one!

+Quote Post
Guest_VorlonTVC15_*
post Feb 22 2014, 06:50 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 21 2014, 10:49 PM) *

But exactly!!! It was all so fascinating and holy frap, my favourite topic of all four years by far. Russian history/culture is the best/most interesting. I wasn't at all so psyched about WWI, so I'm really glad they held that off until after I graduated. I'm hoping for another culture-centred one!

I'm pretty much the exact opposite! WWI is awesome this year. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 22 2014, 06:54 AM
Post #7

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (VorlonTVC15 @ Feb 22 2014, 01:50 AM) *

Well, whatever floats your boat. tongue.gif As long as you enjoy it, that's what counts. biggrin.gif

Are you returning next year?

+Quote Post
Guest_VorlonTVC15_*
post Feb 22 2014, 06:58 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 21 2014, 10:54 PM) *

Well, whatever floats your boat. tongue.gif As long as you enjoy it, that's what counts. biggrin.gif

Definitely. I got hooked on Acadec maybe a week after I joined last year! Most of my team is graduating, so I'm gonna have to help the newbies get acquainted. biggrin.gif How many years were you involved with Acadec?

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 22 2014, 07:20 AM
Post #9

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (VorlonTVC15 @ Feb 22 2014, 01:58 AM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 21 2014, 10:54 PM) *

Definitely. I got hooked on Acadec maybe a week after I joined last year! Most of my team is graduating, so I'm gonna have to help the newbies get acquainted. biggrin.gif How many years were you involved with Acadec?

YAYY so glad to hear it!! biggrin.gif I did Octathlon my freshman year and then attempted to make the team for two years until I finally decided to actually put the "try" in "try out" and, like, study.

+Quote Post
Guest_kdarrow_*
post Feb 22 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (Academic Dekatherine @ Feb 21 2014, 07:43 PM) *

I agree with this. Maybe India, Siddhartha? If not this then English era. We have not done Shakespeare in nearly ten years.

+Quote Post
Guest_misterv_*
post Feb 23 2014, 05:30 AM
Post #11

Guests

WWII will have been ended for 70 years next year...how about a look at the post-war world?
India/Central Asia has never been done, right? Not a bad topic.
The Emerging World? A look at post-colonial Africa?
Medieval Times of Europe
The Age of Exploration: 1492-1890?

Who knows. Still think they should select a list and let us vote on the topics.

+Quote Post
Guest_Academic Dekatherine_*
post Feb 23 2014, 05:50 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (misterv @ Feb 22 2014, 09:30 PM) *
WWII will have been ended for 70 years next year...how about a look at the post-war world?
India/Central Asia has never been done, right? Not a bad topic.
The Emerging World? A look at post-colonial Africa?
Medieval Times of Europe
The Age of Exploration: 1492-1890?

Who knows. Still think they should select a list and let us vote on the topics.

The Age of Exploration/ Scientific Age would be a great one!

+Quote Post
Guest_me194_*
post Feb 23 2014, 09:54 PM
Post #13

Guests

With WWI this year, I can't see WWII being the next choice. Would be too similar. My money is on either the Middle East or India. However, I had heard the Civil Rights movement suggested -- which also seems like a possibility. I just think it will be a non-Western topic.

As far as we know, the topic will still come out March 1, right?

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Feb 23 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #14

Guests

I often find the country/culture ones too broad and the time-period ones too narrow. "European Renaissance" struck a nice balance: broad geographic area, restricted to a 200-year or so time period but not to a 4-year period like the Civil War or World War I. But that is just my opinion, not a guess as to what will happen.

+Quote Post
Guest_redhawk2015_*
post Feb 24 2014, 02:30 AM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (Phil Cerami @ Feb 25 2013, 09:23 AM) *
Before 2004, themes were largely idea based and conceptual. There were some specifics, but there were six years of two three-year "superthemes":

1998-1999-2000: Looking Outward, Looking Inward, Looking Forward
2001-2002-2003: Understanding the Self, Understanding Others, Understanding the Natural World

Since 2004, the themes have been, for lack of a better term, more concrete and specific and point to specific countries, regions, time periods, and events in areas that have no pattern.

2004 - USA (America: The Growth of a Nation)
2005 - Global (Exploring the Ancient World)
2006 - European (The European Renaissance)
2007 - Global (China)
2008 - USA (The Civil War)
2009 - Global (Latin America)
2010 - European (The French Revolution)
2011 - USA (The Great Depression)
2012 - European (The Age of Empire)
2013 - Global (Russia)
[2014 - European (World War I)]

To "predict" a theme based on regional patterns I think is folly. I think that if you are to predict something, I would concentrate on historical periods, countries, regions, etc. If you want to make a pattern from this, we likely will see a USA-type of theme this time around. Just my guess.

"The Industrial Revolution" sounds typical. "Islam" would not probably be a theme. "The Middle East" is more likely.

Mr. Cerami posted this when we were doing this same thing a year ago; reposting it here for reference.

Something like "Gilded Age" or "Progressive Era" seems likely; just don't know if they could pull an entire curriculum out of it. My personal preference would be "India". A lot of my friends think that it'll be a more recent US time period - maybe "The 1970s" or something like that.

This post has been edited by redhawk2015: Feb 24 2014, 02:30 AM

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 25 2014, 07:27 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

Something like "The 1970s" sounds utterly amazing. It would mark a wise move in USAD's new direction of attempting to modernize.

+Quote Post
Guest_KurdishLiberator_*
post Feb 25 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #17

Guests

As a muslim, I would hope it's not Islam. Certain followers of Islam have memorized the Quran word for word and Music in Islam tends to be frowned upon by groups. It's too controversial and grants too big of an advantage to other students.

Middle Eastern History would be great considering it really is extensive and extremely interesting. From Babylon to Modern Day Iraq, so much has happened. It would avoid a lot of the issues with an islamic based topic.

I'm hoping for something global. Latin America would be great as well, I could finally put use to the random "Art in the Spanish and Portuguese Colonies" class I took last semester.

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Feb 25 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (KurdishLiberator @ Feb 25 2014, 12:30 PM) *
As a muslim, I would hope it's not Islam. Certain followers of Islam have memorized the Quran word for word and Music in Islam tends to be frowned upon by groups. It's too controversial and grants too big of an advantage to other students.

Middle Eastern History would be great considering it really is extensive and extremely interesting. From Babylon to Modern Day Iraq, so much has happened. It would avoid a lot of the issues with an islamic based topic.

I'm hoping for something global. Latin America would be great as well, I could finally put use to the random "Art in the Spanish and Portuguese Colonies" class I took last semester.

We already did Latin America so I'm pretty sure it won't be that one. They did ancient civilizations so much of the Middle East in antiquity was part of it. Whatever it turns out to be I hope they pick something interesting, and pick a really good novel to go with it. Don't settle. This year's music is plain, the novel is blah. Give us the best and most interesting works from the time, whatever it may be.

+Quote Post
Guest_Phil Cerami_*
post Feb 25 2014, 10:01 PM
Post #19

Guests

I never get it right, but it's fun to guess.

I think it will be an American theme. I do think that we are due soon though for a shift in philosophy... perhaps this will be the year?

Wartime is too recent. I've been guessing "The Industrial Revolution" for a while now so I think I will try that again.

That or the Progressivism/Populism movement. [EDIT: not this as it's too close to WWI]

This post has been edited by Phil Cerami: Feb 25 2014, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Feb 25 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 21 2014, 10:49 PM) *

Great Depression was so cool, but I was a freshman so I had no clue how awesome it was. I really enjoyed imperialism, although it is always awkward to say outloud. Russia was so bleh. World War I has been my favorite theme, because I have found each subject to be balanced.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2018 - 06:13 AM