3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The End
Guest_Chloe_*
post May 5 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ May 4 2009, 10:44 PM) *
It is my official goal to attend nationals next year in Omaha. Who can I bum a ride with?

Samesies on that goal. But figuring it all out would be really difficult...especially since I am the worst planner in the world.

This post has been edited by Chloe: May 5 2009, 03:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_gabrielcunha.7_*
post May 5 2009, 03:11 AM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ May 4 2009, 08:06 PM) *
QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 4 2009, 07:59 PM) *
QUOTE (Captaink @ May 4 2009, 08:58 PM) *
QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 4 2009, 09:50 PM) *
Is nationals coming to Texas anytime soon?

Not for two years at least. Should it meander this direction, and assuming I'm still in the area, expect me to make an OCM-like appearance...

What would that be like?

Old. Critical. Drunk.

Overly Critical?

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post May 5 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 4 2009, 08:11 PM) *
QUOTE (Widget! @ May 4 2009, 08:06 PM) *

Old. Critical. Drunk.

Overly Critical?

As surely as the sun doth rise.

@Chloe: Yeah, but it shall happen.

+Quote Post
Guest_gabrielcunha.7_*
post May 5 2009, 03:21 AM
Post #24

Guests

Would it be overly drunk and overly old also?

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post May 5 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 4 2009, 08:21 PM) *
Would it be 1.overly drunk and 2.overly old also?

1. Possibly.
2. This is inherent in it being OCM.

EDIT: Back on topic though, I really am interested in being part of the DemiDec entourage at Nats next year. Seriously, start a list, because I want to be on it.

This post has been edited by Widget!: May 5 2009, 03:23 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_gabrielcunha.7_*
post May 5 2009, 03:25 AM
Post #26

Guests

How exactly would one join the DD entourage?

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post May 5 2009, 03:33 AM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 4 2009, 10:25 PM) *
How exactly would one join the DD entourage?

You don't call DDD, he calls you wink.gif

Actually, a willingness to help tote cheesecakes usually works...

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post May 5 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 4 2009, 07:24 PM) *
HOW TO GO TO NATIONALS AND NOT COMPETE

1. Gotta get a ticket to the awards reception. Sometimes you can crash it, sometimes you can't. Best to get a ticket, so you have a seat at a table somewhere without begging for one. If you have a connection with a team, they may know if someone in their party wasn't able to make it and will let you have their ticket... dry.gif
2. Coordinate with folks on this board that will be going there. We can help find good deals... or have you split gas money...
3. Arrive on Thursday so you can meet up with DDD, Dean #1, ZZZ, and everyone else in the party. You will see some teams, but most will be trying to study.
4. Attend the SuperQuiz relay. Yeah, you know it! Afterwards, congratulate everyone. Talk with everyone, for they are free at last!
5. Later on, there will be a Speech Showcase. If you are not in the cheesecake-gathering posse, you will want to attend speech showcase. If you are in the posse, don't let DDD get into your eggrolls. Also make sure he holds on to his avocado smoothie.
6. Some time after the Speech Showcase, the DemiDec Porkless Cheesecake and Baked Goods Party commences in the lobby of the competition hotel. That is a must-attend.
7. Saturday is the awards ceremony. The best part is AFTER all the awards go out when you can congratulate everyone and talk with everyone. Some teams may have left, some leave soon after, some won't leave until much later. That last group of teams is who you want to latch on with to have a Saturday supper with. They won't buy your dinner, but at least you'll have fun people to chat with.
8. Go home Sunday. Again, coordinate here so we can actually help you get to the airport all right and on time and maybe save you some cabfare.

1. Well, if Prep makes it then I'll be with them, if some other school (who will not be named dry.gif) makes it, I'll either buy one or beg/threaten one from them.
2.I'll be the one to ask about food, and I won't need gas money seeing as how I can bike/walk/bum a ride to the site.
3,4.Gotcha
5,6.I'll probably be with the cheesecake party, sounds fun.
7.Gotcha
8.I'll probably be the one helping others to the airport, etc.

QUOTE (Chloe @ May 4 2009, 10:08 PM) *
It is my official goal to attend nationals next year in Omaha. Who can I bum a ride with?

Samesies on that goal. But figuring it all out would be really difficult...especially since I am the worst planner in the world.

you both need to come! MAKE IT SO!

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 5 2009, 06:43 AM
Post #29

Guests

A bigger ADT/DemiDec mission to nationals definitely needs to happen next year. I really missed seeing DDD, the two Deans, and of course all you folks. Let's make a pact to do proper planning.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post May 5 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

It was a small group this year, and Medema won a contest, so there was really on 5 of us (DDD, Dean, Dean, Sophy, me). It was fun nevertheless.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post May 5 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #31

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 5 2009, 01:43 AM) *
A bigger ADT/DemiDec mission to nationals definitely needs to happen next year. I really missed seeing DDD, the two Deans, and of course all you folks. Let's make a pact to do proper planning.

I agree, I want to finally be able to meet y'all. Except AD_B, iirc she promised to attack/hit me if we ever met laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_rickshawman_*
post May 5 2009, 07:09 AM
Post #32

Guests

Brendan! We should figure out getting to Omaha together, especially cause we'll be in the same starting place :]

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 5 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #33

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

We'll start a thread on Omaha sometime in March.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_JBroms_*
post May 5 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (Chloe @ May 5 2009, 04:08 AM) *

if i find the gas money, patience to drive all the way out there, and you end up going to CMU, maybe me.
MAYBE.

+Quote Post
Guest_Chloe_*
post May 5 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #35

Guests

QUOTE (JBroms @ May 5 2009, 05:52 PM) *

if i find the gas money, patience to drive all the way out there, and you end up going to CMU, maybe me.
MAYBE.

ROAD TRIP WITH JBROMS

(maybe)

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post May 5 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #36

Guests

QUOTE (Chloe @ May 5 2009, 05:01 PM) *
QUOTE (JBroms @ May 5 2009, 05:52 PM) *

MAYBE.

ROAD TRIP WITH JBROMS

(maybe)

For some reason, I see chloe's "maybe" as a "maybe JBroms will forget I said this by next march"...
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Apr 28 2014, 05:39 AM
Post #37

Guests

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

My Academic Decathlon journey ended at State 2014. I could have gone to Nationals as an individual. My coach told me she could have conned the district into financially helping me go to Hawaii. I would get to meet amazing people, have two whole months more to make up for time I had lost not knowing what I was doing, and compete against the best of the best.

I said no. I decided in December that Individual Nationals was not for me. I would keep the option open to myself in case State went poorly and I was desperate for a second chance, but I would not plan on it. Unlike many people who balance Decathlon with school, family, college apps, clubs, and life in general, I strategically dropped everything in my life starting around September, and to do that for two more months would be too much. Because of family vacation plans, I wouldn't be able to study over Spring Break, and AP prep would start intensifying before Nationals. I knew I couldn't succeed by suddenly learning to balance Decathlon and not Decathlon. Besides, I was paced to run out of quizzes a week before State. Stopping in February was so logical.

When I surprised myself at State, stopping there became even more logical. I felt that to go to Nationals would be to say to fate that my score wasn't good enough for me, and I had the distinct sense that I would embarrass myself. I wasn't going to be so foolhardy and ungrateful as to try to do better, especially having run out of resources and no longer being able to blow off everything besides Decathlon. So it was over.

On the plane ride home, I sat with Emily, a junior who was disappointed in her 7.6k as a second-year honors. I read Webb's The End post to her, and despite beginning to sob halfway through, I made it to the end.

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 2 2009, 07:44 PM) *
My days as a competitor were gone, and my days as a coach would one day end, no matter what I had won or lost with my teams. My learning would never end, though. I had won that love, twenty years ago, and remained ever faithful. the events along the way came and went, but the journey toward knowledge never ceased.

When I realized that, I realized I had won. I had won all the prizes Academic Decathlon truly offers. The scholarships and promises of travel are only enticements to trick short-sighted children into partaking of an experience far more beautiful, far more awesome, far more sublime than they could comprehend in their limited experience. The competition is not about a few people winning this scholarship or that medal. The competition is about everyone, yes, everyone, gaining a desire to learn for the rest of their lives. It is about enriching our lives with deep and profound experiences. It is about following the path less taken, and realizing it has made all the difference in our lives.

I had won the same things everyone else had won, whether they made it to nationals, state, regionals, county, or district. Competitions end for all of us and we all return home to look out that window. But we all win the same things, if we but realize it.

If we win, it never has to be over. We can keep learning.

We can keep winning.

I will always remember, most of all, the end of competition. I now have a new way of remembering, one in which after all we've done and all we've studied, we realize there truly is more to this. There is joy in realizing the truth of the next four words:

It goes on forever.

It was a beautiful post, one I'd read many times, yet I could never see just how beautifully true it was until I sat on that airplane and left my last competition. Perhaps it was the good news I'd just learned in the security line, or perhaps my success indicated that I had finally learned to love learning and to love hard work with all my heart. Whatever it was, I knew with certainty that Webb was right. Decathlon doesn't simply end. It never has to be over.

Since State, I have felt an odd mix of elation, relief, nostalgia, pride, and a sense of what-if. As I watched a handful of my friends prepare for Nationals, I kept thinking about whether it was too late to change my mind, even when that became ridiculous. A week of being social and catching up on schoolwork passed. I spent Spring Break in Arizona. The deadline to register individual competitors passed. The day of online art and essay, it hit me that it really was too late, yet I still caught myself wondering if there was any way I could go, any way it could not be over.

Logistics aside, I knew I could not go to Nationals just to have more time as a Decathlete. I had learned from Webb, who thought that if he experienced Nationals, it wouldn't be over, but found the next morning that he'd been wrong. Going to Nationals wouldn't make Decathlon not over. Learning Decathlon's lessons would. Yet I still wondered. I still sometimes missed being a Decathlete. Then this weekend rolled around, and Nationals drew to a close. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, over - but it will never be over. Somehow, I read Webb's post and cried over it and believed him so many times, but it only became fully true to me on that airplane, as I sat in my suit with tears streaming down my face and the teammate I'd intended to comfort holding me in her arms, not understanding that I was crying not out of grief but out of a cathartic joy I'd never known.

It goes on forever.

I don't cry because it's over. Despite missing Decathlon and wondering if I could go back, I never actually wanted to. I finished at the right time, having learned the right lessons at the right moment, and because of that, it never has to be over.

I smile because it happened.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Apr 28 2014, 03:31 PM
Post #38

Guests

Well, this thread sure hasn't seen action in a while, haha.

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 4 2009, 09:43 PM) *

That never happened. I haven't attended any AD competition at all since 2008. Moved on to other things, for the most part.

Still, there may yet be prizes out there that Academic Decathlon has to offer and I can win. And the same is true for you, dear crazy honors.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Apr 28 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Nationals has changed. USAD has made it very clear that Daniel isn't welcome and he didn't even try to come this year. The Deans are no longer involved in AcDec. Now we have the Decademy boys, and who knows what the future will bring. Regardless, it is quite an interesting experience.

+Quote Post
madcap
post Apr 28 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Apr 28 2014, 02:31 PM) *
USAD has made it very clear that Daniel isn't welcome

Do you have any idea why the relationship deteriorated?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 02:11 AM