Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SQ Relay Rules
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 6 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #1

Guests

I'm curious as to if this has come up in any other region. In Region IV this weekend a team with less than 9 members (they were missing one scholastic member) wanted to have one of their varsities go in the scholastics place. I OK'd this because in the AZAD handbook it says the following:

"If there are fewer than nine members on the team, a team member of the same (or lower) division may be assigned-in advance-a special ID number with which that student may fill-in for the vacant position during the Public Relay only."

However, this caused some confusion among other coaches, as many thought that the person that went twice in the relay had to be a scholastic. So when we double checked this with Anne she said this was not allowed, that the replacement had to be a scholastic. A varsity was not allowed.

Now Anne has obviously been doing this for a lot longer than I have, so I am confident that she made the right call, but I really think we ought to have the rulebook changed, because that wording certainly fooled me. Has this ever happened anywhere else?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Feb 7 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #2

Guests

That's weird; Anne has okayed competing up a division for Relay before.

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Feb 7 2012, 12:27 AM
Post #3

Guests

AFAIK, you don't necessarily need 3 people per category in order to do relay. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard of a team doing this. Is this a common practice during your sq relays?

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 7 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Feb 6 2012, 05:27 PM) *
AFAIK, you don't necessarily need 3 people per category in order to do relay. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard of a team doing this. Is this a common practice during your sq relays?

Yes, I believe it's always been done. It's to keep teams with 9 students from having an unfair advantage over teams with only 8 (or 7, or 6, etc) students.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 7 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

At Nationals, if you don't have a full team, you take a 0 for the round. Note that in CA the SQ is different than in every other state. AZ does it the same way as TX and Nationals.

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 7 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 6 2012, 05:35 PM) *
At Nationals, if you don't have a full team, you take a 0 for the round. Note that in CA the SQ is different than in every other state. AZ does it the same way as TX and Nationals.

Interesting ^^. So is this only an Arizona thing?

+Quote Post
Guest_Cody_*
post Feb 7 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 6 2012, 06:35 PM) *

Is this if you don't have two in each division or all three? As far as I knew, you only technically needed two in each division to compete.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 7 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

You can compete with only two in each division, but you'll get 0s for the rounds that you're missing someone.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Feb 7 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 6 2012, 04:46 PM) *
You can compete with only two in each division, but you'll get 0s for the rounds that you're missing someone.

Yes, but of course, this doesn't damage your team score.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Feb 7 2012, 01:15 AM
Post #10

Guests

Yeah, but that's kinda smurfy nonetheless. I mean, didn't MVM boot their alternates between Region and State '09, or something like that? I know they didn't go to Nats that year, but if they had, they'd have had to decide between taking more people to Nats or getting shafted in the relay.

I know relay isn't really important, but, it's kinda nice to be able to have someone pull double-duty when you don't have any competing alternates.

This post has been edited by Widget!: Feb 7 2012, 01:15 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Cody_*
post Feb 7 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #11

Guests

In Iowa, we have three alternates in addition to the nine team members that are designated as alternates before the competition and are able to compete against the other alternates. In other states, are the bottom three considered the alternate?

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Feb 7 2012, 03:30 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (Cody @ Feb 6 2012, 04:17 PM) *
In Iowa, we have three alternates in addition to the nine team members that are designated as alternates before the competition and are able to compete against the other alternates. In other states, are the bottom three considered the alternate?

We have the same thing in Alaska (but they aren't "alternates" in any meaningful sense because they have to be pre-registered before state and cannot switch in for regular team members at the last minute, nor can they replace team members at nationals due to USAD rules).

+Quote Post
Guest_kplay6809_*
post Feb 8 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Cody @ Feb 6 2012, 07:17 PM) *

It's my understanding that in WI, a student designated as an "alternate", who is not on the competing nine, is eligible for competition. It is for this reason that our Honors and Scholastic alternates (we only have three Varsities) wrote the Regionals essay. This way, if a member of the nine was removed from competition for some reason, these "alternates" would not already start 1,000 points down. They have to sign the honesty code for our competitions as well.

+Quote Post
Guest_Gear_*
post Feb 8 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (BearMan @ Feb 6 2012, 06:29 PM) *

Yes, I believe it's always been done. It's to keep teams with 9 students from having an unfair advantage over teams with only 8 (or 7, or 6, etc) students.

I wouldn't characterize this as an "unfair" advantage. Each team had the opportunity to have 9 members.

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 8 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (Gear @ Feb 8 2012, 09:06 AM) *
QUOTE (BearMan @ Feb 6 2012, 06:29 PM) *

I wouldn't characterize this as an "unfair" advantage. Each team had the opportunity to have 9 members.

Perhaps, but I could argue that it would favor large schools who have a vast supply of students over small schools that might struggle to put together 9 students.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Feb 8 2012, 06:18 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (BearMan @ Feb 8 2012, 08:20 AM) *
Perhaps, but I could argue that it would favor large schools who have a vast supply of students over small schools that might struggle to put together 9 students.

So does the entire structure of the competition.

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Feb 8 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #17

Guests

Meh, ECR and Moorpark often fielded teams with 8 people. I don't see the big deal of needing people to fill spots.

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 8 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Feb 8 2012, 11:18 AM) *
QUOTE (BearMan @ Feb 8 2012, 08:20 AM) *

So does the entire structure of the competition.

Good point sir, good point tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Feb 9 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Feb 8 2012, 10:32 AM) *
Meh, ECR and Moorpark often fielded teams with 8 people. I don't see the big deal of needing people to fill spots.

Edison only has 7 members this year (3 Honors, 2 Scholastics, 2 Varsity). We got 48 on the relay. Honors to Varsity--9,8,10,9,7,5

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 9 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Feb 9 2012, 02:41 PM) *
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Feb 8 2012, 10:32 AM) *

Edison only has 7 members this year (3 Honors, 2 Scholastics, 2 Varsity). We got 48 on the relay. Honors to Varsity--9,8,10,9,7,5

With CA the 9 players aren't critical. In AZ though all 9 members get counted, even if they don't count to the overall team score. So missing 2 people would be an automatic loss of 10 potential points.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2018 - 04:00 PM