Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Periodic Table
Abuelo
post Aug 17 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 10

Hot off the press (Net?). USAD will attach a copy of the periodic table to the science tests in all rounds.

cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_The Roman Centurion_*
post Aug 17 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (Abuelo @ Aug 17 2009, 11:00 AM) *
Hot off the press (Net?). USAD will attach a copy of the periodic table to the science tests in all rounds.

cool.gif

Thank goodness.

+Quote Post
teeling
post Aug 17 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

moved to public AD curriculum forum. an interesting development...

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Aug 17 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #4

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

This is a Good Thing. Less memorization for mother.

pianodance.gif

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Aug 17 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #5

Guests

oh that's bull!
it's not that hard to memorize

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Aug 18 2009, 12:01 AM
Post #6

The Fisher King

OK, without looking, write down all the elements in order of their atomic number GOGOGOGOGO!

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post Aug 18 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Aug 17 2009, 07:01 PM) *
OK, without looking, write down all the elements in order of their atomic number GOGOGOGOGO!

The berkner students will be doing that when they miss practice, no?

+Quote Post
Guest_DrSir_*
post Aug 18 2009, 01:25 AM
Post #8

Guests

Thank God noone started memorizing it since the curriculum was announced...hopefully wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Aug 18 2009, 02:27 AM
Post #9

Guests

hydrogen helium lithium beryllium boron carbon nitrogen oxygen fluorine neon sodium magnesium aluminum boobs phosphorus sulfur chlorine argon potassium calcium scandium titanium vanadium chromium manganese iron cobalt nickel copper zinc gallium germanium arsenic selenium bromide krypton rubidium (don't remember) yttrium zirconium and then it gets a little fuzzy after that. but after you pass roentgenium it gets easy again, it's just ununbium, ununtrium, ununquadium, etc, up to ununoctium (and even further, but nothing heavier than ununoctium has ever been made in detectable amounts, last I heard).

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Aug 18 2009, 03:42 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (DrSir @ Aug 17 2009, 06:25 PM) *
Thank God noone started memorizing it since the curriculum was announced...hopefully wink.gif

I dunno, I think memorizing it would be a good thing. I mean, having the periodic table there is nice, but, it's just faster to remember some basic things, like atomic number & symbol, most common isotopes, and molar mass than having to look through a chart to find those things.

I mean, obviously I wouldn't ask someone to remember that about the uncommon elements (Yttrium, anyone?), but the first, say, thirty-six elements should be standard fare for memorizing. All your most common non-metals, and the first line of transitions. And, hell, gold, silver, cadmium, mercury, and the rest of your groups 1, 2, and 18.

That's not even fifty elements, man.

+Quote Post
Guest_katerific_*
post Aug 18 2009, 05:03 AM
Post #11

Guests

Back in my first chemistry class, we had one test on really basic chemistry that he wanted us to remember. That meant no periodic table.

Unless we had a periodic table as a tattoo.

Me? I have a shirt with the periodic table on it.

but seriously, fantastic news, but it's also easier to remember stuff about the more common elements. Less time wasted on going back and forth from test to table.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Aug 18 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (katerific @ Aug 17 2009, 10:03 PM) *

Now I know what I'm getting next.

Also, kater, you might want to change your title, considering the change in avvie.

+Quote Post
Guest_katerific_*
post Aug 18 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Aug 17 2009, 09:06 PM) *
QUOTE (katerific @ Aug 17 2009, 10:03 PM) *

Now I know what I'm getting next.

Also, kater, you might want to change your title, considering the change in avvie.

DONE

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Aug 18 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Aug 17 2009, 04:01 PM) *

Hydrogen
Helium
Lithium
Beryllium
Boron
Carbon
Nitrogen
Oxygen
Fluorine
Neon
Sodium
Magnesium
Aluminum
Silicon
Phosphorus
Sulfur
Chlorine
Argon
Potassium
Calcium
Scandium
Titanium
Vanadium
Chromium
Manganese
Iron
Cobalt
Nickel
Copper
Zinc
Gallium
Germanium
Arsenic
Selenium
Bromine
Krypton
Rubidium
Strontium
Yttrium
Zirconium
Niobium
Molybdenum
Technetium
Ruthenium
Rhodium
Palladium
Silver
Cadmium
Indium
Tin
Antimony
Tellurium
Iodine
Xenon
Cesium
Barium
Lanthanum
Cerium

OK, 58...that's not all of them but pretty good. Damn Lanthanide series is always the hardest to remember.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Aug 18 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #15

The Fisher King

Yeah, so no more of this noise about how easy the periodic table is to remember. Let's celebrate how the kids get to use one on the test.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Aug 18 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Aug 18 2009, 07:55 AM) *
Yeah, so no more of this noise about how easy the periodic table is to remember. Let's celebrate how the kids get to use one on the test.

Well, to be fair, Lanthanides and synthetic elements probably won't be coming up on the tests too often.

+Quote Post
Guest_katerific_*
post Aug 19 2009, 01:23 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Aug 18 2009, 07:55 AM) *

I thought it was supposed to be a joke. But leave it to ADtalk to have the biggest nerds EVER....

+Quote Post
Guest_C.Haines_*
post Sep 14 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Aug 17 2009, 09:27 PM) *
hydrogen helium lithium beryllium boron carbon nitrogen oxygen fluorine neon sodium magnesium aluminum boobs phosphorus sulfur chlorine argon potassium calcium scandium titanium vanadium chromium manganese iron cobalt nickel copper zinc gallium germanium arsenic selenium bromide krypton rubidium (don't remember) yttrium zirconium and then it gets a little fuzzy after that. but after you pass roentgenium it gets easy again, it's just ununbium, ununtrium, ununquadium, etc, up to ununoctium (and even further, but nothing heavier than ununoctium has ever been made in detectable amounts, last I heard).

Nobody else has mentioned it. I assume nobody else read that far?

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Sep 14 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (C.Haines @ Sep 13 2009, 08:43 PM) *
QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Aug 17 2009, 09:27 PM) *

Nobody else has mentioned it. I assume nobody else read that far?

Rofl! I should have noticed that, I always do stuff like that when I have to make obscenely long lists.

+Quote Post
Guest_MasonCv.2.0_*
post Sep 15 2009, 07:07 AM
Post #20

Guests

A likely story....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 12:04 PM