> Changes at Nationals
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 11 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

According to my sources:

1. The Super Quiz Relay will not count towards team or individual scores at Nationals this year.
2. USAD will award individual medals in all ten events to the top students in EACH DIVISION.

There may be other changes, but I haven't heard of them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_cepae_*
post Feb 11 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 11 2014, 04:45 PM) *
According to my sources:

1. The Super Quiz Relay will not count towards team or individual scores at Nationals this year.
2. USAD will award individual medals in all ten events to the top students in EACH DIVISION.

Oh man...what a horribly long banquet that will be. I'm all for more recognition but Minneapolis' banquet took forever and if my team is in Hawaii, I want to go out and do things after the banquet.

SQ counts in Georgia towards the team score. It's nervewracking to watch and it's one of my favorite parts of AD. While I applauded the switch to an all subject SQ, I don't like this decision at all.

+Quote Post
Guest_Gear_*
post Feb 11 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (cepae @ Feb 11 2014, 03:51 PM) *
According to my sources:

Oh man...what a horribly long banquet that will be. I'm all for more recognition but Minneapolis' banquet took forever and if my team is in Hawaii, I want to go out and do things after the banquet.

SQ counts in Georgia towards the team score. It's nervewracking to watch and it's one of my favorite parts of AD. While I applauded the switch to an all subject SQ, I don't like this decision at all.

Amen to this. Why couldn't they go to a two or three banquet set-up (one for each division)? This is essentially what Texas does for space and time constraints.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 11 2014, 11:50 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Also, the relay may be collaborative, like we did at the CDO Scrimmage this year.

Also, for what it's worth, I would like to go to a collaborative relay that counted for both team and individual scores.

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 12 2014, 01:05 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Gear @ Feb 11 2014, 05:32 PM) *
QUOTE (cepae @ Feb 11 2014, 03:51 PM) *
According to my sources:

Amen to this. Why couldn't they go to a two or three banquet set-up (one for each division)? This is essentially what Texas does for space and time constraints.

USAD is NOT well-staffed enough to run two or three separate awards ceremonies, let alone one.

I wonder how Ohio feels about this awards change. It was thrilling watching them go toe-to-toe with California's finest (especially in scholastic medals!) last year. Big props to Ben Thompson and Cliff Goertemiller (and the guy who carried his photo around because he was gone for medical reasons?) for that spectacular show. We also saw outstanding competition from Nathan Gibbs, Wilson Mullen, Christina Shrefler, Wending Zhu, Daria Sobelva, Heather Brooks (the only non-Granada scholastic to get an Art medal!), and Elissa Lawson. Ohio is awesome for making last year's awards super exciting. Hats off to them.

Scoring Super Quiz is way too risky for USAD. At least, that's probably how they feel.

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Feb 12 2014, 02:51 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 11 2014, 03:50 PM) *
Also, the relay may be collaborative, like we did at the CDO Scrimmage this year.

Also, for what it's worth, I would like to go to a collaborative relay that counted for both team and individual scores.

This is how Fresno County did it when I started coaching, but because it was collaborative there weren't any individual medals. We got pressured to stop doing it this way so we changed to what the state was doing after a while. And now it comes full circle.

+Quote Post
Guest_kdarrow_*
post Feb 12 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #7

Guests

We posted on the additional time and number of awards given last year. AD promised...to try and cut down on the lengthy speeches by random people and make the awards ceremony about the students (fingers crossed). The increase in medals given may not be as significant as you might think. I ran numbers last year and came up with only about a 30-40% increase in medals. This would be due to a decrease in ties. Last year there were over 20 medals given out in Econ alone.

+Quote Post
Guest_cepae_*
post Feb 13 2014, 06:00 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (kdarrow @ Feb 12 2014, 09:29 AM) *
We posted on the additional time and number of awards given last year. AD promised...to try and cut down on the lengthy speeches by random people and make the awards ceremony about the students (fingers crossed). The increase in medals given may not be as significant as you might think. I ran numbers last year and came up with only about a 30-40% increase in medals. This would be due to a decrease in ties. Last year there were over 20 medals given out in Econ alone.

I've been to two nationals - Garden Grove/Anaheim, CA in 2008 and Minneapolis, MN last year. Those are the only gauges I have other than my state's banquet, which is more similar to what MN's was.

Garden Grove/Anaheim seemed to move quickly even with a brownout in the middle of the ceremony. Speech Showcase was its own event so that probably was a big difference. Even with 15-20 more teams in MN than in CA, the medal process seemed a whole lot more drawn out in MN. I feel like there's always a ton of ties, and I hope you're right that AD cuts down on the random speeches. Maybe someone who's been there more often can enlighten me on how the length of the banquet usually is.

(I didn't go to Hawaii my first year helping with AD and I regret it because I had a chance to go. It was my first year teaching, I was feeling burnt out, and I passed on it, so I'm really hoping to go with my team this year.)

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 13 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cepae @ Feb 13 2014, 01:00 AM) *
QUOTE (kdarrow @ Feb 12 2014, 09:29 AM) *

I've been to two nationals - Garden Grove/Anaheim, CA in 2008 and Minneapolis, MN last year. Those are the only gauges I have other than my state's banquet, which is more similar to what MN's was.

Garden Grove/Anaheim seemed to move quickly even with a brownout in the middle of the ceremony. Speech Showcase was its own event so that probably was a big difference. Even with 15-20 more teams in MN than in CA, the medal process seemed a whole lot more drawn out in MN. I feel like there's always a ton of ties, and I hope you're right that AD cuts down on the random speeches. Maybe someone who's been there more often can enlighten me on how the length of the banquet usually is.

(I didn't go to Hawaii my first year helping with AD and I regret it because I had a chance to go. It was my first year teaching, I was feeling burnt out, and I passed on it, so I'm really hoping to go with my team this year.)

Whoa, I remember that brownout in Garden Grove in 2008. It seems like such a long time ago. It is relatively long ago for me, I suppose. =]

In Albuquerque 2012, the banquet seemed fairly quick, perhaps because of fewer ties and the organizers doing a better job than they did in Minneapolis. We listened to the top honors speech (Sean Wejebe from California), the top scholastic speech (a girl from maybe Connecticut), and the top varsity speech (Reece Naukana-Christensen from Hawaii).

My memories of Memphis 2009 are pretty hazy. I would say I didn't feel like it was drawn-out at all, just like I did in Garden Grove and Albuquerque. Speech showcase was separate there too. Charlotte 2011 was the last "Speech Showcase" (as a separate event). I was unhappy they changed it in 2012.

Then again, movies and awards ceremonies and whatnot always feel short when you enjoy it as much as I do, at a fanatical level?

I remember when I went to California State 2012 and they always do many awards for all three divisions. I loved it and probably didn't notice anything about how long it was, but my interpreter friend (who I brought along with me - thank you, DemiDec) was absolutely dying towards the end, especially when the Division III SQ third place team came up for a trophy and pictures, then the Division II SQ third place team, then the Division I SQ third place, then Division III SQ second place, and so on.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Feb 18 2014, 03:20 AM
Post #10

Guests

Hmm, not a fan of the medals-in-each-division thing - although now that two teams are allowed from each state, it might be a bit more reasonable.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Feb 18 2014, 04:08 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

I've been about everywhere Robb has been- Garden Grove, Memphis, Charlotte are the three I've been to (competed at Garden Grove). Went to Arizona and California in 2011 for Demidec. California's took forever and a day, I remember webcasting and just being so tired of it. But man they make it a spectacle. It's truly riveting in California. Arizona's was great, no frills, no nonsense. Texas has been fine, kind of a happy medium between the two.

I don't remember a thing at Garden Grove, I was sick to my stomach the whole time. Memphis was great fun, it was a solid ceremony. Charlotte was intense (Dobie v/ GHC) but was also fine. I do think that this will add to the time, but I'm okay with that if it gives more people more medals. Makes it more worth it for many schools.

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 18 2014, 04:35 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Feb 17 2014, 11:08 PM) *
I've been about everywhere Robb has been- Garden Grove, Memphis, Charlotte are the three I've been to (competed at Garden Grove). Went to Arizona and California in 2011 for Demidec. California's took forever and a day, I remember webcasting and just being so tired of it. But man they make it a spectacle. It's truly riveting in California. Arizona's was great, no frills, no nonsense. Texas has been fine, kind of a happy medium between the two.

I don't remember a thing at Garden Grove, I was sick to my stomach the whole time. Memphis was great fun, it was a solid ceremony. Charlotte was intense (Dobie v/ GHC) but was also fine. I do think that this will add to the time, but I'm okay with that if it gives more people more medals. Makes it more worth it for many schools.

For any alumni who remember / have their Nationals individual breakdown, it might be fun to go look at DDSIC and figure out how the medals you received would have changed with the new awards. I love my hypothetical results! I even get bumped up to gold in Scholastic LangLit! biggrin.gif It makes me enthusiastic about the new system.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 11:12 PM