IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prospects for 2012-13, What's your team look like?
stanleytree
post Apr 9 2012, 01:14 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

So for most of us, the year has drawn to an end, and we look forward to next year with the excitement of endless possibilities. We can all be optimistic right about now, but who thinks they have a shot at winning a title, whether regional, state, or national? And who thinks there team will improve greatly, or continue to be excellent?

For Pearland, we have three returners from last year's Large School State Champ in Texas: Sophomore honors Shivam Dave (8,995, 3rd in state), and two junior varsities in Levi Nussman (7,384, 3rd in state) and Kyler Plotts (6,8xx, 15th at large state). We have a solid foundation with these three (especially if Kyler actually reads a bit), and all we're really searching for is an h2 and both of our scholastics- they'll have a tough task replacing Evan Parsons-Riddle and Theresa Nguyen from this year's team.

We have about 40 kids trying out, the largest number to ever try out by a large margin. About 15 each of scholastics and honors, with about another 10 at the varsity level. Whether it's Kyler and Levi, or another one of our new varsity recruits, our varsities will once again put us in a position to compete for a state title- our other recruits for varsity are fairly stellar. At the scholastic level, we have TONS of kids trying out, and we have about 2 or 3 I know of that could drop some mad scores, but it's really a mystery for now. At honors, with Shivam returning, we just need a solid honors who can score above 8k- we have a lot of those I would have to believe, including Levi's younger sister (whose got his knowledge level plus a work ethic!). I definitely see us being near the top of Texas again next year, although this year seems to be the most mysterious we've had coming in to the year. I would like to put our chances of a 48k year as pretty high, but you never really know this early.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_KurdishLiberator_*
post Apr 9 2012, 01:31 AM
Post #2

Guests

LHS won't break more than 40,000 (out of 70k)

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Apr 9 2012, 01:33 AM
Post #3

Guests

My school has four returners for this year. I'm a sophomore, and the other three (H2, H3, and S1) are all juniors. We have about ten currently interested Honors and Scholastic, and we're in the process of finding varsities. Sadly, grade inflation is rampant at our school.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Apr 9 2012, 01:34 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

Don't be so down on Liberty! I saw how many kids are beta'ing. And crazy honors, where are you from? Please make sure to let us know who you are biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Apr 9 2012, 01:38 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (KurdishLiberator @ Apr 8 2012, 08:31 PM) *
LHS won't break more than 40,000 (out of 70k)

It just hit me that 10000 points for SuperQuiz is a LOT...holy smurf. That's terrifying.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Apr 9 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #6

Guests

We have some returning, and some not returning. I'm sure we'll throw something respectable together.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Apr 9 2012, 02:12 AM
Post #7

Guests

We've started our meetings and have begun reading Zhivago and this is what we got:
8 Honors: 4 Returners(1 Honors for first time) They are all going to be Juniors next year and 2 of them have 2 years experience. The other 4 are smart as a whip current freshman and one eight grader who will fight to steal a spot from our veterans our try to impress on the junior team for next year. We also have the 3 highest PSAT scores in the school in our returners.
9 Scholastics: 1 Returner. 5 of them are going to be juniors next year and 4 will be sophomores. We hardly recruited the top scholastics and it will be a huge battle to make the team as a scholastic.
6 Varsities: 3 Returners. We've got the all star team of underachievers this year. We are all going to be Juniors and we will be in a dogfight all year. We have our naturally overall smart kids, and the ones who are amazing at certain subjects and will work hard in others.
The school decathlon team has become the best team at Edgewood. It is the most difficult to make already as we have the smartest in school scared of the competition we have. In the LA County Competition i have us ranked at #5 for our finish next year.

Here's the rest of the LA County Power Ranking Top 5 in my mind:
1. West High School(Torrance) After winning four county titles in a row, they are poised to win again as they have won the last few competitions by a good few thousand points. They lose a back to back top 3 finisher in the county in Lisa Beckman, yet West is the powerhouse of the division and will most likely win.
2. Beverly Hills High School After finishing third in last year's competition i think they are going to do well seeing that they ran eight juniors last year.
3. Redondo Union High School Last year's runner up, lost some strong kids, but they've got a bright spot in Luke Murphy a sophomore who finished 3rd overall in the county competition. He will lead them to a strong year.
4. Burbank High School Always a strong team. Always good in relay and wants to see what the new sq format does to them.
5. Edgewood High School(West Covina) Read Above.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Apr 9 2012, 02:22 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

We are returning 6: Jake, Annie, Jakub, Alex, Rose and Jason. We will very much miss Jeannie and Phillip.

+Quote Post
Guest_Lackluster_*
post Apr 9 2012, 02:30 AM
Post #9

Guests

Next year looks deplorable. Out of our nine, H3 and V3 (both are juniors, scored 4,3xx and 4,7xx respectively at state) are the only ones returning along with me (H1, freshman, 6,5xx at state). V1/2, S1, and H2 were the bread and butter of the team for the past three years with their five thousands that got us to state. V3 is the only varsity that shows promise, but he needs to be forced to study. H3 and H4 might be able to break 5k (they both got 4.9 before), but our scholastics look especially abysmal. I doubt they'll break 4,500. Seeing as these scores will barely get us to 29,000, we'll get the 33k we got at state this yearly the skin of our arses.

Ugh. I doubt I'll be going to state any time soon. ;-;
Individually, though, I think I'll be the first one at my school to break 7k next year. Yay?
Edit:
Looks like CDO's set for a year of triumph.
(prepares to sit in corner with dunce cap)

This post has been edited by Lackluster: Apr 9 2012, 02:36 AM

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Apr 9 2012, 02:37 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Actually, Lackluster, you and my son should have a little competition to see how can score higher as a sophomore. You definitely won the freshman year round. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Apr 9 2012, 02:40 AM
Post #11

Guests

Red Mountain is returning 4:

1 Honors (my little brother! biggrin.gif): Scored 7600 at State, ranked 16th
2 Scholastics: Scored 7860 and 7550 at State, ranked 3rd and 5th, respectively
1 Varsity: Scored 6700 at State, ranked 8th

My brother will break 8k (if he doesn't I'll kill him! tongue.gif)
I fully expect the two Scholastics to take 1 and 2 in state next year--their only achilles heel (for both) is their speech and interview. With practice I think both will be at 8k
The varsity was very involved with track this year and still put up 6700. Next year (he's dropping track), I expect at least 7k

If they can get a decent H2 and V8 I think they'll easily break 45k. Whether that will win state or not is always hard to tell XD

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Apr 9 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Apr 8 2012, 07:22 PM) *
We are returning 6: Jake, Annie, Jakub, Alex, Rose and Jason. We will very much miss Jeannie and Phillip.

Looks like a pretty strong team for you.
I heard from some MVM kids I talked to that they were going to be hurt a fair bit by graduation. But MVM always puts something good together.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Apr 9 2012, 05:02 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Apr 8 2012, 07:37 PM) *
Actually, Lackluster, you and my son should have a little competition to see how can score higher as a sophomore. You definitely won the freshman year round. smile.gif

Doooooo it; you know you want a rival.

+Quote Post
Guest_Lackluster_*
post Apr 9 2012, 05:15 AM
Post #14

Guests

Ooh, that sounds fun. :0
As long as I get subjectives up, I can testify that I'll be a worth adversary

+Quote Post
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Apr 9 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #15

Guests

Dobie is returning all 3 honors(Who are all Sophomores) including:
Khoa Truong 8,0xx, 36 honors at State
Tuan Phan Don't know score but it was less than 76xx
Cindy Nguyen Don't know score but it was less than 76xx

We're also returning our top Scholastic, Maria Ferreira who was 22nd at State with 75xx.

Overall, I think the all junior honors category is going to be really competitive with each other and I wouldn't be surprised if Khoa breaks 85xx with the others having a solid 8k score.

As for Maria, she's extremely dedicated and I could see her getting into that 83xx or higher range next year.

As for Varsities, hopefully Higgy can pull some diamonds from the rough to form a decent varsity category. I'm guessing he'll find some mid 7ker and high 6ker/low 7ker for counters.

I vote Higginbotham in the top 5 at State.

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post Apr 9 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 10

At this time, I am still out begging for money in order to have a program in LAUSD for 2012-2013. I am trying to explore other alternatives for our teams to compete as the money is not coming in.

cool.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_me194_*
post Apr 9 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Herohito @ Apr 8 2012, 08:27 PM) *

I heard from some MVM kids I talked to that they were going to be hurt a fair bit by graduation. But MVM always puts something good together.

They graduate nearly their entire team every year and still do amazing. Simply a testament to their program...you can never count them out. See this year as an example.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Apr 9 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (me194 @ Apr 9 2012, 08:18 AM) *
They graduate nearly their entire team every year and still do amazing. Simply a testament to their program...you can never count them out. See this year as an example.

This.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Apr 9 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #19

Guests

Yep. That's what makes them so great.
Still, this and last year were nowhere near as good as their high points, such as 2010.

+Quote Post
Guest_me194_*
post Apr 10 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Herohito @ Apr 9 2012, 04:37 PM) *

Yep. That's what makes them so great.
Still, this and last year were nowhere near as good as their high points, such as 2010.

Yeah...that was my first year competing, and let's just say regionals was...intimidating. Except for Joe Yu, I believe they took the top two individuals in every division and won 40-50 medals. We finished third that year, 50 points behind RM and some 7-8k behind MVM. Of course, that year, they had John Ernzen and Alice Lin both returning from the previous year's team.

Oh, and EDC, you guys didn't help. I'm not sure whether everyone else has really gotten better or not, but at least it was competitive this year. Looking forward to watching the results next year.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 12:00 PM