IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AcDec in Louisiana?
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Oct 11 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Guests

So I just emailed the head of Louisiana Academic Decathlon to talk about any help I could provide in getting some more schools interested in AcDec here in Louisiana, and more specifically in the New Orleans area. I've found some great schools in the area that I think, if given proper training, could easily defeat the reigning champion of Louisiana, which was at 33,1xx at Nationals last year. I'm waiting on a response back from Mr. Benoit to see if he thinks we can revamp some AcDec in New Orleans, so I hope he's on board because I REALLY want to do this. If not, hey I tried. Another thing I've been considering here in New Orleans is starting World Scholar's Cup. It's be easier than starting decathlon teams as well as more cost effective. I'll see what Mr. Benoit and Dan say about each thing, but I just really want to help out with either of these programs while in college here in the Big Easy. Does anyone have any ideas on getting things started at schools, getting schools to revamp their existing programs, etc. or just any motivational lines of inspiration they'd like to share? Haha have a nice day, all. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Tad Walters: Oct 11 2011, 09:54 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Autumn Comet_*
post Oct 11 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #2

Guests

Free food. Lots of it. Use those poor college student skills.

+Quote Post
Guest_Chris Redmon_*
post Oct 11 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Guests

The start of every new organization, whether it be a church, political party, or academic decathlon team, relies heavily upon a charismatic leader. Let your excitement and enthusiasm show and people will respond. Go after kids who wouldn't normally be talked to about academic competition. Get the faculty involved.

...and food...yeah it helps a lot...

+Quote Post
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Oct 14 2011, 01:57 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (Chris Redmon @ Oct 11 2011, 09:31 AM) *
The start of every new organization, whether it be a church, political party, or academic decathlon team, relies heavily upon a charismatic leader.

Well good thing I was so amazingly amazing at subjectives. Jk, I just got lucky at State.

So I emailed the AcDec director here in Louisiana, who actually works at UNO, which is about a 15 minute trip from Loyola, so that's handy. He has yet to email me back. I also emailed the sponsor for Academic Games at the nearby public school to kind of get my foot in the door. But turns out, that even though she's the sponsor(And has yet to email me) that a guy from Loyola(Who I just happen to be friends with people that are friends with him) is the ACTUAL coach over there, so I'm talking to him sometime this week. Also, Abuelo has given me the name of a girl who competed in Cali and is now attending Tulane, and she said she'd be happy to join the effort as well. So my goal is to have ten teams in New Orleans by the time high schools let out for Christmas break. If I can have a full team that's even half as dedicated as most top tier teams are, they can easily break 35,xxx their first year. ALSO, the main school I'm focusing on happens to be a magnet school, so hopefully math will actually be beneficial? We'll see. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Oct 14 2011, 02:04 AM
Post #5

Guests

Find the kid who's sleeping through a math class that he shouldn't even be in for another year or two. There's your star varsity.

"Do you read a lot? Do you remember enough of what you read to be obnoxious? Wanna get some scholarship money out of it?"

This post has been edited by tryingtothinkagain: Oct 14 2011, 02:05 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Oct 14 2011, 04:58 AM
Post #6

Guests

I'm not so much concerned with finding star kids as I am just trying to start a team. Especially not this late in the game, where I'll be lucky to even have teams started before Christmas Break. I'm going to be looking for Nunez-esque Varsities, Bernhard-esque Scholastics, and Xu-esque Honors as soon as possible though. By the end of my four year tenure at Loyola, Louisiana will be in the top 10 at Nationals, possibly even top 5. Bet on it. popcorn.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Chris Redmon_*
post Oct 14 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #7

Guests

Those varsity kids are great at starting your team. Word of mouth is the best way to get more kids involved.

+Quote Post
Guest_JP_Irish_*
post Oct 14 2011, 02:01 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (Tad Walters @ Oct 13 2011, 11:58 PM) *
I'm going to be looking for Nunez-esque Varsities, Bernhard-esque Scholastics, and Xu-esque Honors as soon as possible though. By the end of my four year tenure at Loyola, Louisiana will be in the top 10 at Nationals, possibly even top 5. Bet on it. popcorn.gif

If you find all those kids in the same school, on the same team, you'll be a lot higher than #10 or #5 for that matter.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sherpa_*
post Oct 15 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (JP_Irish @ Oct 14 2011, 09:01 AM) *
QUOTE (Tad Walters @ Oct 13 2011, 11:58 PM) *
I'm going to be looking for Nunez-esque Varsities, Bernhard-esque Scholastics, and Xu-esque Honors as soon as possible though. By the end of my four year tenure at Loyola, Louisiana will be in the top 10 at Nationals, possibly even top 5. Bet on it. popcorn.gif

If you find all those kids in the same school, on the same team, you'll be a lot higher than #10 or #5 for that matter.

(9181*2)+(8917*2)+(8726*2) = 53648 = highest score in history (and that's assuming Xu doesn't get higher this year).

+Quote Post
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Oct 21 2011, 04:54 AM
Post #10

Guests

So I've made contact with 3 students at Tulane that were in AcDec(All of them coincidentally from California as well) and turns out one of them started AcDec at a local high school but the team didn't compete due to improper registration. So I think that as a collaborative effort, we can get maybe 2 or 3 schools to start teams this year, and I kinda want to dethrone the state champion this year. The reigning champion has won since AcDec was started in Louisiana but their score was barely over 33,1xx at Nationals. I think I can help end that streak if I've picked up any study skills or decathlon tips and tricks from my two years at Dobie.

+Quote Post
Guest_Autumn Comet_*
post Oct 21 2011, 06:22 AM
Post #11

Guests

I'm taking that as permission to start breaking things if this doesn't happen. popcorn.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Oct 21 2011, 06:57 AM
Post #12

Guests

Most likey, if we can get a few schools, we're going to basically assign one kid to each school(There are two that I have my eye on) and help coach or actually coach, if need be. I'm excited. IT'S LIKE ACDEC ALL OVER AGAIN.

+Quote Post
Guest_SJacobs_*
post Nov 1 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Tad Walters @ Oct 14 2011, 01:57 AM) *
QUOTE (Chris Redmon @ Oct 11 2011, 09:31 AM) *
The start of every new organization, whether it be a church, political party, or academic decathlon team, relies heavily upon a charismatic leader.

Well good thing I was so amazingly amazing at subjectives. Jk, I just got lucky at State.

So I emailed the AcDec director here in Louisiana, who actually works at UNO, which is about a 15 minute trip from Loyola, so that's handy. He has yet to email me back. I also emailed the sponsor for Academic Games at the nearby public school to kind of get my foot in the door. But turns out, that even though she's the sponsor(And has yet to email me) that a guy from Loyola(Who I just happen to be friends with people that are friends with him) is the ACTUAL coach over there, so I'm talking to him sometime this week. Also, Abuelo has given me the name of a girl who competed in Cali and is now attending Tulane, and she said she'd be happy to join the effort as well. So my goal is to have ten teams in New Orleans by the time high schools let out for Christmas break. If I can have a full team that's even half as dedicated as most top tier teams are, they can easily break 35,xxx their first year. ALSO, the main school I'm focusing on happens to be a magnet school, so hopefully math will actually be beneficial? We'll see. cool.gif

I was wondering if you ever got a response from Andy Benoit. My team competes at UNO. There used to be about 8 teams when it was at LSU. Since Academic Decathlon "followed" him to UNO, the list of teams have dwindled to 3. I have asked him to do some recruiting. The NOLA area is rich schools that would do very well.
Let me know if you hear from him. I don't have much luck with e-mail responses.

Cheers!
Ms. Jay

+Quote Post
Guest_raconteur_*
post Nov 2 2011, 02:15 AM
Post #14

Guests

Hey Sherrie,
At least you guys have a "state director." Ole Miss dropped AcaDec and there doesn't seem to be a replacement on the horizon. I don't know how much that affects us. Maybe we ought to combine the two states. Keep me posted on things in your area.
Debbye

+Quote Post
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Nov 2 2011, 05:41 AM
Post #15

Guests

I never got a hold of him, but that's fine. I'm basically going ahead with my plan to get teams started nearby. Luckily there are many high schools in the vicinity of Loyola and so these are the schools that I'm going to start teams at.

+Quote Post
Guest_SJacobs_*
post Nov 10 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (Tad Walters @ Nov 2 2011, 06:41 AM) *
I never got a hold of him, but that's fine. I'm basically going ahead with my plan to get teams started nearby. Luckily there are many high schools in the vicinity of Loyola and so these are the schools that I'm going to start teams at.

That is GREAT news. When I first began coaching Academic Decathlon back in the 90s....Louisiana had 18 schools competing at State. The Competition was held at Centenary College at that time.
The most I remember competing at LSU ws 8. Now at UNO, the numbers have dwindled to 3-4.

SO....it would be so wonderful to see many other teams. Good luck, Tad!!!

+Quote Post
Guest_SJacobs_*
post Nov 10 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (raconteur @ Nov 2 2011, 03:15 AM) *
Hey Sherrie,
At least you guys have a "state director." Ole Miss dropped AcaDec and there doesn't seem to be a replacement on the horizon. I don't know how much that affects us. Maybe we ought to combine the two states. Keep me posted on things in your area.
Debbye

Hey, Deb,

I wondered why M-C was hosting a combo event this year. :-) I heard from the Caddo Magnet coach that she had to step down because of family matters....no one had come forward to take the team. As of now, there is no coach and no team. I told her I was sure everything would work out. Those last minute reprieves are hell. :-)

Love,
Sherrie

+Quote Post
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Dec 1 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (SJacobs @ Nov 10 2011, 01:04 PM) *
QUOTE (raconteur @ Nov 2 2011, 03:15 AM) *
Hey Sherrie,
Debbye

Hey, Deb,

I wondered why M-C was hosting a combo event this year. :-) I heard from the Caddo Magnet coach that she had to step down because of family matters....no one had come forward to take the team. As of now, there is no coach and no team. I told her I was sure everything would work out. Those last minute reprieves are hell. :-)

Love,
Sherrie

Hi there, for both "Sherrie" and "Deb" who both appear to be coaches here in Louisiana, is there any chance I could get some information on when the State competition will be happening and where, and other information on teams that are competing? Scores from last year would be awesome too, I just want to get a grasp of the state program here. Starting teams in the next two weeks before students get Christmas break!

+Quote Post
Guest_SJacobs_*
post Dec 5 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #19

Guests

Hi,

Deb is Coach for Madison-Central in Mississippi. I am Coach at St. Martinville Senior High in Louisiana.
Louisiana's State Competition is February 24-25 at UNO. If I am understanding correctly, USAD will be
responsible for Mississippi's State Competition this year as the University of Mississippi is no longer hosting.

I do not know if Caddo Magnet will be competing or not. They have no coach and as of this writing no one has
stepped forward to take the lead.

We have had a terrible time receiving scores..our own and the other teams. Right now, I don't know if we have any scores other than our own (and I am not really sure where they are hiding).

I got an e-mail from Mylene (mylene@usad.org)

Mylene Chafe

USAD, Director of Operations

712-366-3700 (office)

712-366-3701 (fax)

712-326-9589 (cell)

Mylene said that there was another school interested in competing in Louisiana. She didn't say who. So far, it will be SMSH, Comeaux and whatever team you bring. Caddo Magnet will probably be there even if things are shaky now. That is a pitiful turn-out, I know.

My e-mail is sherrie_jacobs@stmartin.k12.la.us if you need.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 11:10 PM