Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The (High School and) College Schedule Thread
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 25 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #1

Guests

Talk about your schedules for next semester or quarter here! This may be more interesting now that people have more than 15 AP classes to choose from in their schedule.

I have to pick six of the following, and I'm curious as to what ADT might have to suggest. Perhaps you've taken an analogous class at your school and you can weigh in? Perhaps you see something that makes you want to say "wow, that looks awesome!" Maybe something makes you think "wow, that looks awful!" Whatever it is, this thread should be revived from ye old board.

Classes that I'll almost surely take sometime (requirements for majors or minor):
MAT300- Mathematical Structures (set theory, induction, functions, order and equivalence relations, cardinality, that kinda stuff. All proofs.)
MAT342- Linear Algebra (lol, not Applied LinAlg though)
ECN315- Money and Banking
ECN413- Honors Advanced Macroeconomics (a class of 25, and the only for undergrads taught by a Nobel winner)
ECN416- Game Theory and Economic Behavior
ECN425- Econometrics
ECN450- Law and Economics (taught by my senile intermediate Micro prof)
HON310- Justice and Law (seminar for a certificate I'm trying to get, but the prof is really good, and I only have to walk down two flights of stairs to get to the room)
HON494TOPIC- Philosophy of Crime and Punishment (another seminar for that certificate)
POS301- Empirical Political Inquiry (boo, major requirements)

Classes that would be less useful, but awesome and would fit honors requirements:
HON494TOPIC- Law, Justice & Democracy (actually taught by the law school, but they let three Barrett juniors and seniors in each semester)
HON494TOPIC- Bioethics & Law (as above)
HON494TOPIC- Theories of Enlightenment (class of 10ish, taught by a Barrett professor, tons of reading, but full of legit humanities goodness)

Classes that would probably be useless, but awesome:
ARS 394- Italian Renaissance Art (though art history classes are supposed to be pretty difficult)
ENG 294- Sex, Death, & Snow: Intro to Canadian Literature (my family would be so proud...if they could name a piece of Canadian literature...)
ENG 315- Sin and Sinners in Western Culture
ENG 423- Revenge Tragedies
HST 426- The British Empire (could totally take this with Widget)
PHI 401- Rationalism (if I can put up with hipsters)

Or, I could take "Science and Society" classes, of which I need two to graduate, or a "cultural awareness in the United States" class. For the first one, I'd probably take an honors special topics class about transhumanism or on technology and humanity, and for the latter, I might take a class on African American literature (that's my best option despite dozens of classes...I'll take Langston Hughes over "Los Angeles Movies and Culture," "Gender and Communication," "Latina/Chicana Issues," "Women, Gender, and Society" or "Introduction to Asian American and Pacific Islander Studies"...seriously here, Michael Crow, you want to better ASU's academic image? I think I know some classes that need not exist...).

I'm tentatively leaning right now towards Lin Alg, Hon Adv. Macro, Justice & Law, Game Theory, and Law & Econ, and then something else. Econometrics or Structures would be a lot of math for a semester (Game Theory is quite math heavy), though they'd be useful. I'd almost like to take an overload (more than 18 credit hours), but I'm not sure my GPA would like that idea. I've got about a week to decide.

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Oct 25 2010, 08:24 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post Oct 25 2010, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Guests

It's funny, I really haven't thought of my classes for next semester at all. I'm halfway done with my major after this semester, though. I'll probably take a higher level of statistics, an introductory computer science class, an English class, and I dunno, something else. I need to start looking at things I guess.

I might take a class in English on Milton taught by Reynolds Price (awesome, awesome writer and poet... check his stuff out)

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 25 2010, 08:30 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (TheWerg @ Oct 25 2010, 01:27 AM) *
It's funny, I really haven't thought of my classes for next semester at all. I'm halfway done with my major after this semester, though. I'll probably take a higher level of statistics, an introductory computer science class, an English class, and I dunno, something else. I need to start looking at things I guess.

It seems like a long time in the future, but I know we register for classes in six days. Things really went quickly.

QUOTE (TheWerg @ Oct 25 2010, 01:29 AM) *
I might take a class in English on Milton taught by Reynolds Price (awesome, awesome writer and poet... check his stuff out)

Did he write anything that wasn't Paradise Lost or Paradise Found?

Even if not, that'd be pretty awesome.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Oct 25 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #4

Guests

Next term I'm going to take Econ 20 (Econometrics), and probably also Math 50 (Probability and Statistical Inference). If that turns out to be too much statistics, I might drop Math 50 in favor of Math 42 (Differential Geometry).

The third class is a bit of a dilemma. If I want to complete the Public Policy minor - which seems like a good idea - I have to take Public Policy 5 (Introduction to Public Policy), which is only offered in winter terms. But it would be more interesting to take 48 (Policy Analysis and Local Governance) with the awesome Prof. Andrew Samwick, director of Dartmouth's Rockefeller Center. And I still need another science class and would like to do Earth Sciences 15 (Earth's Climate: Past, Present, and Future), which is also only offered winter terms.

Essentially, I have the same problem as many people: too many interesting classes and not enough time.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Oct 25 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Guests

If you end up taking Revenge Tragedies, I bet you can borrow my girlfriend's dramaturgy notes from the play she's working on now. It's a parody/satire of every Elizabethan revenge tragedy. Actually, it's more just a parody of Elizabethan drama as a whole.

It's called The Revenger's Tragedy.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dr. Roffles_*
post Oct 25 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 25 2010, 04:24 AM) *
MAT342- Linear Algebra = sucky class, but it's required. prepare for ow.
ECN413- Macroeconomics = beware, nobel winner classes are often not taught very well.
ECN425- Econometrics = easy class, not hard at all. good deal.
HON494TOPIC- Philosophy of Crime and Punishment = i envy you
HON494TOPIC- Theories of Enlightenment = usually a decent class. go for it.
ARS 394- Italian Renaissance Art = they're terrible. stay away.
HST 426- The British Empire = do you want to borrow my top hat for next semester dude

some thoughts.

+Quote Post
Guest_Perusse_*
post Oct 25 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Guests

Linear Algebra is awesome.

My schedule for next year is going to look something like:

M325k-Discrete Math
M427k-Differential Equations
Phy316L- E&M physics, have credit from C, but extends to multivariate calculus applications.
UGS303- Sci-Fi in Russian lit and Cinema
FRI (freshman research initiative)- 1 hour lecture time+outside lab time.

I may add another math class, but schedule is probably packed enough as is

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post Oct 25 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #8

Guests

My super fun, graduate with two majors a semester early, schedule...

Spring '11

FINA 30153 Financial Management
MARK 30233 Market Analysis
MARK 30243 Customer Insights
INSC 40343 Supply Chain Strategy
INSC 40303 Demand Planning and Management
INSC 40313 Logistics and Transportation

Summer Study Abroad
INSC 40353 Global Supply Chain Management

Fall '11
INSC 40333 Supply Chain Information Technologies
INSC 40323 Procurement/Supply Management
MARK 40203 Marketing Strategy
MARK 40243 New Product Planning and Brand Management
MARK 40223 Services Marketing
MANA 40153 Strategic Management

Graduate
???
Profit!

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Oct 26 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #9

Guests

Does anyone else think Captaink's classes suggest a rather, uh, narrow focus?

Also @RM: I'd avoid taking too many econ classes at once. I remember one of Dartmouth's top economics professors once saying that he wished he'd taken fewer econ courses in college because after a while he realized they were all the same graphs applied to different situations. Go for some of those history, science, or English ones.

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post Oct 26 2010, 01:38 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Oct 25 2010, 07:01 PM) *
Does anyone else think Captaink's classes suggest a rather, uh, narrow focus?

That's because I took all of the non-business classes freshman and sophomore year.

Also, I'm getting a real degree...

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Oct 26 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Captaink @ Oct 25 2010, 08:38 PM) *

ROFL

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Oct 26 2010, 03:35 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (Captaink @ Oct 25 2010, 05:38 PM) *

What exactly are you suggesting isn't a real degree?

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post Oct 26 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Oct 25 2010, 10:35 PM) *
QUOTE (Captaink @ Oct 25 2010, 05:38 PM) *

What exactly are you suggesting isn't a real degree?

University Studies? General Studies? Majoring in staying eligible?

And isn't the point of a major to take a series of courses in the same general area of study?

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post Oct 26 2010, 04:29 AM
Post #14

Guests

Yeah, but you usually take some other classes too. To diversify your education.

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post Oct 26 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (TheWerg @ Oct 25 2010, 11:29 PM) *
Yeah, but you usually take some other classes too. To diversify your education.

Yeah, like I said:

QUOTE (Captaink @ Oct 25 2010, 08:38 PM) *
I took all of the non-business classes freshman and sophomore year.

Believe me, I wish I could be taking all of the fun, easy electives and core classes now rather than freshman year, and have balanced my schedule out a bit more, but for whatever reason TCU thinks everyone is going to change their major 6 times freshman year, so they won't let you take more than a handful of classes in a given area when you're a freshman...

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 26 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (Captaink @ Oct 25 2010, 06:38 PM) *

I probably shouldn't share what economics professors have to say about supply chain, then...

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Oct 25 2010, 05:01 PM) *
Also @RM: I'd avoid taking too many econ classes at once. I remember one of Dartmouth's top economics professors once saying that he wished he'd taken fewer econ courses in college because after a while he realized they were all the same graphs applied to different situations. Go for some of those history, science, or English ones.

I can see where that would be an issue, but Law and Economics, Econometrics, and to a lesser extent Game Theory are not very graphically intense.

Also, I already basically think (and more importantly, joke) in terms of graphs, so...

QUOTE (Dr. Roffles @ Oct 25 2010, 02:40 PM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 25 2010, 04:24 AM) *
MAT342- Linear Algebra = sucky class, but it's required. prepare for ow.
ECN413- Macroeconomics = beware, nobel winner classes are often not taught very well.
ECN425- Econometrics = easy class, not hard at all. good deal.
HON494TOPIC- Philosophy of Crime and Punishment = i envy you
HON494TOPIC- Theories of Enlightenment = usually a decent class. go for it.
ARS 394- Italian Renaissance Art = they're terrible. stay away.
HST 426- The British Empire = do you want to borrow my top hat for next semester dude

some thoughts.

-342 should be easier than Applied Linear Algebra, and I've heard it's not too difficult here. We shall see.
-Macro will keep me interested because I fundamentally disagree with most everything the professor believes already.
-Yeah I probably won't take Art or History, but I'd totally borrow that hat.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Oct 26 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Take the British Empire class. Prepare for a saga of state-sponsored terror and piracy.

+Quote Post
Guest_Chloe_*
post Oct 26 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #18

Guests

My course schedule is basically me trying to figure out

- how many game design courses I can take from CMU's Entertainment Technology Center without dying

- how to take a freshman art history course that doesn't exist anymore, but is required for my BFA degree

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Oct 26 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #19

Guests

Wow, I'm a lot farther from graduating than I thought I was... yay

+Quote Post
Guest_katerific_*
post Oct 27 2010, 06:17 AM
Post #20

Guests

Tomorrow I register for my last semester as an undergraduate (whaaat).

Senior thesis
???
???
???

I have no idea what I'm doing. I only need the senior thesis for my degree.
2-unit art class on metals (so I can forge like a boss)? Creativity workshop in the occupational therapy program? Theatrical film symposium, where we watch movies every Thursday night?

comments on different topics that people have mentioned:
So far, linear algebra has been hard. Started off really slow/confusing, but it gets better and better each week.
The class on past, present, and future climate sounds cool. But that's also what I, like, do.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 11:12 PM