Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Future Texas Competition Changes
nil
post May 17 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 76

I don't know if anyone else is aware, but I just stumbled on some information that may be interesting for Texas coaches.

After this competitive season ends, Texas regional competitions will be held the 2nd weekend of February, rather than January. Texas state meets will be held in March instead of February. Also, it appears Frisco will be a new, permanent site for medium/small schools.

http://www.txacadec.org/documents/2018/Upd...%20Calendar.pdf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 17 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #2

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (nil @ May 17 2017, 06:30 PM) *
I don't know if anyone else is aware, but I just stumbled on some information that may be interesting for Texas coaches.

After this competitive season ends, Texas regional competitions will be held the 2nd weekend of February, rather than January. Texas state meets will be held in March instead of February. Also, it appears Frisco will be a new, permanent site for medium/small schools.

This is half and half for me. I don't mind regionals being in January- I mind only have a month between regionals and state. I think state should be after spring break.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post May 17 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

Also, 2019 Nationals are back in Minneapolis?

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 17 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ May 17 2017, 07:55 PM) *

Is that where USAD is? I wonder if they just can't afford to set it up in other places.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 17 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #5

Turtlemaster

Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (nil @ May 17 2017, 01:30 PM) *

Holy frap, that's big news. I wonder how much of the scheduling change is due to wanting to be more competitive with California -- and whether it will actually have any such effect. This is so weird to me. But it could be really cool.

The Medium/Small meet being in Frisco, though... as a Friscan, I find this really saddening. Making the road trip down to State with everyone in the little vans and staying in a hotel and checking out the Riverwalk was always the tradition. State was so much fun. And now we're going to be literally across the street from one of the Frisco ISD campuses. Probably not even going to get a hotel at all. Takes a lot of the fun out of it. :/ I wonder if we'll see a resulting drop in FISD's State performances.

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 17 2017, 03:02 PM) *
QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ May 17 2017, 07:55 PM) *

Is that where USAD is? I wonder if they just can't afford to set it up in other places.

I don't think it's a question of money -- the way things are set up now, I think it's essentially someone volunteers their state or it's Minneapolis.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post May 17 2017, 10:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 252,079

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 17 2017, 01:38 PM) *
QUOTE (nil @ May 17 2017, 06:30 PM) *

This is half and half for me. I don't mind regionals being in January- I mind only have a month between regionals and state. I think state should be after spring break.

And obviously the districts don't have their school calendars set yet for 2018-19, but if that's the weekend leading into Spring Break for most districts, it certainly will lead to some unique challenges. For many districts, it's usually the end of a grading period so while I don't think that's a huge issue, it just leads to more headaches for coaches to make sure all grades are done or even to request the off days to travel with the team to state. I know in my district you have to get special permission at the district level to take off the day (or two days) leading into spring break. I'm sure it would be granted, but it's just more emails and even paperwork to be filed.

+Quote Post
Phil Cerami
post May 18 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 265

One of these days when I am no longer coaching as heavily as I am now, I'd love to work on a Philadelphia committee. Seeing the NFL draft here convinced me that it would be a wonderful place to do it.

--------------------
Coach and Founder of Souderton HS Academic Decathlon
Eastern PA Academic Decathlon Regional Director
www.mrcerami.com

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 22 2017, 02:53 AM
Post #8

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ May 17 2017, 03:34 PM) *
The Medium/Small meet being in Frisco, though... as a Friscan, I find this really saddening. Making the road trip down to State with everyone in the little vans and staying in a hotel and checking out the Riverwalk was always the tradition. State was so much fun. And now we're going to be literally across the street from one of the Frisco ISD campuses. Probably not even going to get a hotel at all. Takes a lot of the fun out of it. :/ I wonder if we'll see a resulting drop in FISD's State performances.

Book a hotel or campsite or SOMETHING, but definitely keep the kids together during competition. It really REALLY helps.

I hated when state was at Plano ISD one year. We really missed out on the camaraderie.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 23 2017, 03:39 AM
Post #9

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 21 2017, 10:53 PM) *

Book a hotel or campsite or SOMETHING, but definitely keep the kids together during competition. It really REALLY helps.

I hated when state was at Plano ISD one year. We really missed out on the camaraderie.

I also just realized, if Highland Park takes State again next year, they'll have to do State AND Nationals in Frisco... which is a half-hour drive for them. That'll be quite fun for them.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 23 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ May 23 2017, 03:39 AM) *

I also just realized, if Highland Park takes State again next year, they'll have to do State AND Nationals in Frisco... which is a half-hour drive for them. That'll be quite fun for them.

dry.gif

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 State champion

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 23 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #11

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 23 2017, 08:50 AM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ May 23 2017, 03:39 AM) *

dry.gif

I SAID "IF"! tongue.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 23 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #12

To be fair they're definitely the favorite

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 State champion

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 10:13 PM