IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOPA/Protect IP Act, Internet censorship FTW?
Guest_Autumn Comet_*
post Jan 17 2012, 04:25 AM
Post #21

Guests

Congress Shelves SOPA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post Jan 18 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (Autumn Comet @ Jan 16 2012, 11:25 PM) *

But only for like, an hour.

With the blackout today, it's funny watching congress fall all over each other trying to distance themselves from SOPA/PIPA.

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Jan 19 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #23

Guests

So yeah...the feds shutdown Megaupload today.

Masters of timing, they are.

+Quote Post
Guest_JackLosiStrader_*
post Jan 19 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #24

Guests

I have seen MegaUpload used legitimately too many times to believe that's gonna stick. Of course, I'm no expert on copyright law, so we'll see.

+Quote Post
Guest_Autumn Comet_*
post Jan 19 2012, 10:32 PM
Post #25

Guests

Might as well shut down Dropbox while they're at it. dry.gif Sheesh, and I was going to use Megaupload to store the (completely legal) videos we're making in my 3-D animation class.

EDIT: Wait, Megaupload isn't based in the US. So it's still accessible outside the United States, no? Or did we just get a suspiciously timed preview of a possible effect of PIPA?

This post has been edited by Autumn Comet: Jan 19 2012, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_blondie13_*
post Jan 20 2012, 02:42 AM
Post #26

Guests

So much rage right now. Not ok. The government is really ticking me off right now.

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post Jan 20 2012, 03:50 AM
Post #27

Guests

lol:

On megauploads, I'm glad it was taken down. That was the absolute worst site for them to go after. Ever hear about the time Dee Snyder went to congress and they were wholly unprepared for him? He saved music, and the megauploads case will probably go the same way.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Jan 20 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (Autumn Comet @ Jan 19 2012, 03:32 PM) *
EDIT: Wait, Megaupload isn't based in the US. So it's still accessible outside the United States, no? Or did we just get a suspiciously timed preview of a possible effect of PIPA?

Bit of trivia, the US government essentially controls ICANN. This is why it took until late '09 to get around to implementing framework that would allow domain names to be in Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Armenian, Japanese, Korean, or any of the eleven bajillion Indian-Subcontinent scripts. Yeah. It took until smurfing 2009 for HALF OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION to be able to make a website entirely in their native language. ICANN also runs IANA, which operates the DNS root zone on behalf of the US Government, as well as DNS rootservers. What does this mean for the internet? Well, if the US Government wants a website gone--it will be gone, and nobody can bring it back up on the internet.

Now, it is worth noting that there are ways around this, and not even very technologically-involving ways, but, it must be remembered that America has a frightening amount of control over the internet.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 20 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #29

Guests

I don't think the downing of Megaupload will stick. I think under the precedent of Sony v. Universal City Studios it has too much fair use and potential for fair use to be banned.

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Jan 22 2012, 03:29 AM
Post #30

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Dec 23 2011, 10:09 PM) *
It's like Rick Perry being all, "I don't really understand the economy, and economists are mean to me sometimes, so I'm never going to listen to them ever again." Would the citizens of Texas stand for that?

I'd just like to state for the record that a lot of them probably would.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 06:46 AM