Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DDT Zombie Apocalypse Survival Guide
Guest_JBroms_*
post Dec 18 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #21

Guests

Been killing zombies since I was 8 years old, and I've realized through all the years that there's something nobody seems to be ready for.

So all these preparations are fine, but are you prepared for the EMOTIONAL trauma of the apocalypse? If you couldn't do any one of the following things you're not:
Kill the zombie of your mother or some other family member.
Kill the zombie of your significant other.
Kill the zombies of all your best friends, your coach, or any other person you hold close to your heart.
How about if one of them gets infected and is pleading with you not to kill them, but you're low on ammo, and know it would take much more ammo to kill them after they turn, could you bring yourself to do it? Even if you could, would you ever be able to get their final screams out of your head?

Would you like to become a zombie? If not, would you be able to take your own life before you turned?

Also, I would just like to add to everyone discussing weapons, that the only true way to shoot your way out of a zombie apocalypse, is through your own skull.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Dec 18 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (JBroms @ Dec 18 2011, 11:29 AM) *
Also, I would just like to add to everyone discussing weapons, that the only true way to shoot your way out of a zombie apocalypse, is through your own skull.

Also, I found this while doing a GIS

This post has been edited by Jonesy: Dec 18 2011, 07:27 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_JBroms_*
post Dec 18 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Dec 18 2011, 08:26 PM) *

I'm a smart ass.

But you don't have unlimited energy.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Dec 18 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #24

Guests

QUOTE (JBroms @ Dec 18 2011, 01:31 PM) *

I'm a smart ass.

Hole up in the right spot and I don't need it.

+Quote Post
Guest_JBroms_*
post Dec 18 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Dec 18 2011, 10:49 PM) *
QUOTE (JBroms @ Dec 18 2011, 01:31 PM) *

I'm a smart ass.

Hole up in the right spot and I don't need it.

And then you starve to death, run out of water, get overrun in your sleep, or (in the case of Resident Evil 2 or 3) get bombed.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Dec 18 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE (JBroms @ Dec 18 2011, 05:01 PM) *
And then you starve to death, run out of water, get overrun in your sleep, or (in the case of Resident Evil 2 or 3) get bombed.

Also, who's going to bomb Nebraska?

+Quote Post
Guest_JBroms_*
post Dec 18 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Dec 18 2011, 11:29 PM) *
QUOTE (JBroms @ Dec 18 2011, 05:01 PM) *

Also, who's going to bomb Nebraska?

Lighten up? Dude, its a freaking Zombie Apocalypse we're talking about. Excuse me for being a little bit cynical when talking about a situation where everyone I've ever known is being eaten or trying to eat me, and life as we all know it is essentially over. Doesn't sound too bright to me.

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Dec 19 2011, 06:18 AM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (JBroms @ Dec 18 2011, 09:29 AM) *
So all these preparations are fine, but are you prepared for the EMOTIONAL trauma of the apocalypse?

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Jan 25 2012, 04:42 AM
Post #29

Guests

I can list the people I'd have problems shooting on the fingers of one hand.

Also, a .22LR would probably work pretty well. You can penetrate center of mass through clothing at 400 yards, ammo is insanely cheap, reasonably accurate, not very loud so it wouldn't attract attention. This is all assuming slow, stumbling zombies. If you've got I Am Legend zombies, try to get something bigger than .223, like .308. A .45, .357, or 9mm handgun (9mm holds the most rounds, I think, but has the least stopping power) with hollowpoints is probably going to be your best bet, honestly.

+Quote Post
Guest_JBroms_*
post Mar 8 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #30

Guests

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I mean emotional trauma:

--Screencap taken from Resident Evil (the Gamecube remake)

Eventual fate of the guy in the note:

Hanging from the ceiling.

Also, is canned food the way to go, or something else? I had a bit of a discussion with TTTA about this earlier, and I'm personally not a fan of canned food. Too weighty, once you open it you have to eat it (usually), and it just takes up too much space. I'm not entirely opposed to it, but I personally would go for Twinkies (dat shelf life) and pasta (angel hair, thin spaghetti, the more compact the better)

+Quote Post
Guest_Scotty-V_*
post Mar 8 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #31

Guests

QUOTE (JBroms @ Mar 8 2012, 07:56 AM) *
Also, is canned food the way to go, or something else? I had a bit of a discussion with TTTA about this earlier, and I'm personally not a fan of canned food. Too weighty, once you open it you have to eat it (usually), and it just takes up too much space. I'm not entirely opposed to it, but I personally would go for Twinkies (dat shelf life) and pasta (angel hair, thin spaghetti, the more compact the better)

Well, aside from being weighty, you'd also need to carry around a can opener. It'd be too easy to lose and your canned food would end up being useful only as projectile weaponry.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Mar 8 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #32

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 13 2011, 10:38 PM) *
This is srs bsns enough to be n the srs bsns section.

dry.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Mar 8 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #33

Guests

Guys, cans are pretty easy to open. You really only need a knife, and if you're going through the Zombie Apocalypse without a knife, you deserve to starve while staring at your canned food.

Strictly speaking, though, the ideal Zombie Apocalypse food plan is a combination of dry food, canned food, and hunter-gatherer tactics. Dry food for when you're out and about, canned at your base of operations, hunter-gatherer as much as possible.

Also, everyone here knows how to build a still and a carbon filter, right? The latter one is way easier than you think.

+Quote Post
post Mar 9 2012, 07:09 AM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 8 2012, 04:52 PM) *
Guys, cans are pretty easy to open. You really only need a knife, and if you're going through the Zombie Apocalypse without a knife, you deserve to starve while staring at your canned food.

Strictly speaking, though, the ideal Zombie Apocalypse food plan is a combination of dry food, canned food, and hunter-gatherer tactics. Dry food for when you're out and about, canned at your base of operations, hunter-gatherer as much as possible.

Yes and yes. If you're starving to death, you could open up a can of beans with a goddam rock. But there's a finite supply of canned food, and you need to get to work building up the world's agriculture. Plant a garden. Learn how to can food yourself, stuff you can yourself will last on the shelf much longer than it will take for you to actually eat it. You can't survive on just meat from animals you killed, gotta mix in some fruits and vegetables. Plant a few fruit trees; if properly maintained you can get a ridiculous amount of fruit out of just a few trees using technology available during an apocalypse.

Last year, my family harvested something like 100 pounds of peaches from two peach trees, neither of which was over 10 feet tall. We covered them in netting to keep the birds away, used horse manure as fertilizer, covered the ground around it in mulch and change out the mulch every year to keep beetle larvae from developing. We surrounded our gardens with limestone rocks not mortared together, which provide a perfect refuge for a large population of small predatory lizards that help keep the bugs in check. Our neighbor produces more grapefruit than he could possibly consume, again from just two relatively small trees.

EDIT: Oh, and Justin, about those twinkies? Stick with canned food. Twinkies have a shelf life of twenty-five days, not seven years, and certainly not fifty years.

This post has been edited by tryingtothinkagain: Mar 9 2012, 07:20 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_JBroms_*
post Mar 9 2012, 07:59 AM
Post #35

Guests

QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Mar 9 2012, 08:09 AM) *
QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 8 2012, 04:52 PM) *

EDIT: Oh, and Justin, about those twinkies? Stick with canned food. Twinkies have a shelf life of twenty-five days, not seven years, and certainly not fifty years.

Well, looks like I'm sticking with pasta. I'm not entirely opposed to canned food, but I would much rather have the ability to gtfo my base at any time. (I agree with Widget!'s food plan)
Also yeah, you DON'T need a can opener. Scotty-V, if you weren't in Hawaii, I'd say your chances of surviving are almost zero.

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post Mar 18 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #36

Guests

re: can opener - idk is this too heavy? http://www.countycomm.com/opener.html

+Quote Post
post Mar 19 2012, 03:28 AM
Post #37

Guests

QUOTE (VarsityBoy @ Mar 18 2012, 04:34 PM) *
re: can opener - idk is this too heavy? http://www.countycomm.com/opener.html

I've used one of those before. They work. Very well.

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Mar 19 2012, 05:15 AM
Post #38

Guests

Dude anybody watch the Walking Dead? Tonight's finale was godly...

+Quote Post
Guest_JBroms_*
post Mar 19 2012, 05:48 AM
Post #39

Guests

QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 19 2012, 05:15 AM) *

This adds nothing to the discussion.
Zombie survival guide =/= talking about how good a zombie TV show is. GTFO to the TV thread.
/threadnazi

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Mar 19 2012, 06:15 AM
Post #40

Guests

QUOTE (JBroms @ Mar 18 2012, 10:48 PM) *
QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 19 2012, 05:15 AM) *

This adds nothing to the discussion.
Zombie survival guide =/= talking about how good a zombie TV show is. GTFO to the TV thread.
/threadnazi

But if you watch the show, you can learn how to survive zombies biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th October 2018 - 07:51 PM