IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Republican Presidential Primaries, Who are the best candidates?
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post May 21 2011, 02:16 AM
Post #41

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ May 21 2011, 02:51 AM) *
QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 20 2011, 04:42 PM) *
]
Gingrich is an academic and a man of ideas, no question about it,

On this one, you give the man far, far too much credit.

ayep
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 21 2011, 05:32 AM
Post #42

Guests

VarsityBoy - many apologies, I was trying to post a reply to your post, but accidentally edited your post instead. wallbash.gif So I had to delete it, otherwise it would have been my post under your name.

I was saying that I'm very much a policy voter and think personality politics are generally useless, but in this case, "values" overlap with policy because Gingrich claims to have socially conservative principles and his history makes me wonder how well he actually understands those.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post May 21 2011, 05:45 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

If you look at the last time Gingrich was powerful, he decimated the party with his hard-line forcefulness and overcontrol of the House. He can't deal with criticism, he is a foundation of vitriol and he doesn't handle power well. He's also a lightning rod, he finds power in storms but is useless to help control it.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 21 2011, 05:57 AM
Post #44

Guests

"Decimated the party" in what sense? The Republicans maintained control of Congress and took back the White House (though the excessive spending and debt of the Bush years hardly represent my vision for the party, nor Gingrich's, I suspect).

Forgive me, ST, if I'm skeptical that the welfare of the Republican Party is your top concern. But that's not to say you're wrong if you think Gingrich would be a bad president; I just haven't made up my mind, and I don't have to yet.

+Quote Post
Guest_JSC_*
post May 21 2011, 07:30 AM
Post #45

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 21 2011, 12:57 AM) *
"Decimated the party" in what sense? The Republicans maintained control of Congress and took back the White House (though the excessive spending and debt of the Bush years hardly represent my vision for the party, nor Gingrich's, I suspect).

Forgive me, ST, if I'm skeptical that the welfare of the Republican Party is your top concern. But that's not to say you're wrong if you think Gingrich would be a bad president; I just haven't made up my mind, and I don't have to yet.

I don't know if he would be a bad president, but I know he would be a bad candidate (and likely never get to be president). He has good favorables, to be sure, but his unfavorables are through the roof. The Dems could mail it in if Newt got the nomination.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 21 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #46

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

He'd collapse like a house of cards in a debate with Obama. Obama's got smoove on his side. Gingrich is too earnest.

The Republicans need a candidate that doesn't appeal to only the 21 percenters. Unfortunately, that would mean they'd have a Democrat running under their banner, for all intents and purposes.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post May 21 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 21 2011, 05:57 AM) *

Decimated may be too strong of a word, but he setback the Repubs hxc when he was Speaker of the House. The Reps had a huge national mandate off the heels of Clinton's failed healthcare plan, so the fact they lost seats in both the next two elections (with Gingrich being replaced by his own party before the '98 elections) and my opinion that the Contract With America was a big joke says that either Gingrich lost it or Clinton beat him. Either way, Gingrich got pwnd.

It seems clear to me that the Reps have to elect someone more moderate than Gingrich. They're already going to get the Religious Right no matter what happens, but they need someone to attract the ever-increasing independents that isn't living on a platform of abortion, guns, immigration, or any social issues because independents are not usually socially conservative (the typical conservative fiscal, liberal social person seems to dominate the independents). Also, it seems like one thing that just about every American hates is the vitriol and divisiveness of today's politics; if we had Gingrich as prez, it would be worse on a scale of magnitudes. That's my favorite part of Obama, he doesn't implement party baiting and partisanship near as much as he could (minus Healthcare). He's pushed some foundational ideas of the Democratic Party through, but he hasn't made every battle about who will win the partisan interests of the politicians. He's been much more about making sure America is better off than it was without proposed legislation.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 21 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #48

Guests

Gingrich is not a candidate especially associated with the religious right; in fact, many people think that's where he'll have problems in the primaries because of his marital history. Nor is Gingrich's platform focused on abortion, guns, or a hard-line stance on immigration; see the link Crow posted a few back. I'm actually really digging the fact that this campaign is likely to be about deficits, entitlements, and other fiscal/economic issues (though that will come with a corresponding deluge of stupid "job-creating/job-killing" rhetoric).

I agree with you about Obama, and that's largely why I voted for him in 2008; it was all about tone. But if you look under the surface, many of his criticisms of conservative positions are equally wrong, even if they're phrased more nicely. Also, when he says he's willing to work with Republicans, he usually seems to mean "I'm willing to sit down and talk about why my positions are better, but not to accept any of yours." So I feel like I may have given him too many points for that, and in 2012 I'll be voting more strictly on policy.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 21 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #49

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ May 21 2011, 02:29 PM) *
QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 21 2011, 12:00 PM) *
he usually seems to mean "I'm willing to sit down and talk about why my positions are better, but not to accept any of yours."

i'm sorry, have you been asleep for six months?

I suppose you're referring to the tax cut compromise? You're right that Obama conceded to Republicans there, because he basically had no other choice except to let the tax cuts expire for everybody (which is the option I would have preferred, but wouldn't be good for his re-election prospects).

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post May 22 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #50

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 21 2011, 05:32 AM) *
VarsityBoy - many apologies, I was trying to post a reply to your post, but accidentally edited your post instead. wallbash.gif So I had to delete it, otherwise it would have been my post under your name.

As much as I hate identity theft that would have been hilarious.

Though you don't get away without a loladmin

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 22 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #51

Guests

Mitch Daniels isn't running. A bit of a disappointment for me, since I like his policy-wonk style, but the field is really starting to clear up, and that's good for those who want to figure out who to support instead of just worrying about who's running.

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post May 22 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #52

Guests

ninja poast.

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post May 22 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #53

Guests

Fred Karger's entire reason for running is to oppose mormons. His debate against Mitt Romney is what I'm looking forward to.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 22 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #54

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ May 22 2011, 08:49 AM) *
one person i might like the in gop field, who hasn't been discussed a lot, is fred karger. he has almost no chance of winning the nom, being openly gay, but he has a great record, and i'd like to know more about him. also, i cannot wait to see him in a debate with rick santorum.

I met Fred Karger; he came and gave a talk at Dartmouth. Interesting fellow. I think you would like him, since his positions on just about everything seem to line up with the Democrats.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post May 22 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #55

Guests

With extremely limited exposure, I have thus far concluded that I actually don't mind Jon Huntsman.

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post May 22 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #56

Guests

QUOTE (wikipedia)
Huntsman is also a self-proclaimed fan of the progressive rock genre and played keyboards during high school in a band named "Wizard". On July 30, 2007, he attended a concert by progressive metal band Dream Theater. Later that day, Huntsman signed a proclamation creating "Dream Theater Day" on that date for the state of Utah

You can have my vote, and my first-born daughter.

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post May 22 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #57

Guests

QUOTE (dizzyizzy @ May 22 2011, 08:03 PM) *
QUOTE (wikipedia)
Huntsman is also a self-proclaimed fan of the progressive rock genre and played keyboards during high school in a band named "Wizard". On July 30, 2007, he attended a concert by progressive metal band Dream Theater. Later that day, Huntsman signed a proclamation creating "Dream Theater Day" on that date for the state of Utah

You can have my vote, and my first-born daughter.

Dizzy, you disgust me.

Also LETS GO KARGER, LETS GO.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 22 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #58

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (dizzyizzy @ May 22 2011, 01:48 PM) *
Fred Karger's entire reason for running is to oppose mormons. His debate against Mitt Romney is what I'm looking forward to.

Should be full of fun and sport, like watching a Nazi and a Commie mix it up.

FUN FACT: Huntsman and Romney are distant cousins.

ALSO FUN FACT: Varsity Boy hates America.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post May 22 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #59

Guests

Too bad Huckabee's not running. smurf primaries, let's have a rock-off.

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post May 22 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #60

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ May 22 2011, 06:08 PM) *
QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 22 2011, 01:53 PM) *
QUOTE (dizzyizzy @ May 22 2011, 01:48 PM) *

Should be full of fun and sport, like watching a Nazi and a Commie mix it up.

who's who in this scenario?

and to clarify izzy, he's not running in opposition to mormons as mormons, he's running in opposition to the people who are running that are mormons (namely romney, i don't really see anything about him calling out huntsman)

He's running in opposition of the Church of the Latter-Day Saint's support of prop 8 and other anti-gay bills, and using romney as a figurehead for his fight.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2018 - 10:24 PM