Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017-18 topic
TinDefacto
post Mar 1 2017, 03:00 AM
Post #21

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

Ooh, lots of cool ideas bouncing around here. I personally love the idea of covering The Middle East, and I think, contrary to what some of you have said, that this could even be the best time to do it, but yeah, still probably perceived as too "risky" or controversial by USAD, which I suppose is fair. We shall see.

I just really, really want the Science topic to be linguistics at some point. :3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post Mar 1 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #22

Guests

Africa. It's on the main USAD page.
http://usad.org/Home/Curriculum-Info-2017-18.aspx

This post has been edited by Dave C: Mar 1 2017, 02:03 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_kdarrow_*
post Mar 1 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (Dave C @ Mar 1 2017, 08:01 AM) *

The Science is from 2007-08.
The book is from Scholar's Cup ?.
The theme is from 2011-12 (ish).
The Math is from 2011-12 and 2014-15.

Music will be new. Will western music theory go away again?
It will be interesting to see if Art Fundamentals survives again.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Mar 1 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Our Honors Sophomores read 'Things Fall Apart.' That's helpful.

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoinths_*
post Mar 1 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (kdarrow @ Mar 1 2017, 08:21 AM) *

I'm not familiar with that book (Things Fall Apart), but you are right in that World Scholar's Cup assigned that book to competitors back in 2009. So DemiDec should already have plenty of familiarity with it and be ready to produce quizzes and resource material fairly soon after the full material is released later in the spring. I know there might not be a huge buy-in to World Scholar's Cup from the AcDec coaches here on this bulletin board, but we've competed in both AcDec and WSC for the last five years and I do find more cross-over between the two competitions than folks may realize. (and as a quick plug - my school is hosting the Houston region for WSC on Saturday, May 20th so if AcDec teams here are interested in learning more about the competition, please feel free to PM me).

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Mar 1 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (kdarrow @ Mar 1 2017, 02:21 PM) *

The science is from '07-'08 but the rest is fresh (and maybe different diseases, or ways of covering it? If it's a reprint minus the Civil War stuff I'm gonna not be happy). 11-12 was Imperialism- this is more about the west African kingdoms I'd assume (so Ghana/Mali/Songhai/Yoruba/Benin/Oyo/others I'm forgetting), so I wouldn't say it's particularly close except being about the same region. This was the clearly obvious book they'd pick and I've heard it's great so that beats this year- most people haven't done WSC. The math rotates all the time.

I'm scared they can bungle music and art. I wish the topic was just West Africa- that is a clear region with several cultures. The term AFRICA seems to be baking in a lot of different cultures and saying "yes here's a survey of them" when that is definitely not what they are doing. I think a focus on west Africa would be great- I do not know much about the music of the region and if there is enough variety to warrant a full subject, but there is certainly enough west African art to constitute a viable resource.

I'm excited about the topic. I think it's cool since most kids do not know much about African history at all. I'm sure USAD will do a good job of being culturally sensitive- they have been in the past as far as I remember. The big thing USAD needs to do in my mind is get real about their test writers. This year's science tests were a joke, and many of them are simply too easy. The only set of tests I can look at this year and say that they got it right every time is math- it got more complex as the year went on (at least in Texas), but they have years of stuff to lean on for that. The test writing needs to be harder and more consistent.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Mar 1 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #27

Turtlemaster.

Member No.: 21

It makes me a bit uncomfortable that they're covering an entire continent with as much depth as they've done entire countries -- or time periods within single countries -- in the past. Africa is huge. It's filled with hundreds of smaller cultures and thousands of languages, and it already has a big problem of being constantly thought of as a single homogeneous entity. Plus, the Science being infectious diseases, really? I mean, that's a fascinating topic to be sure, but that's already the first thing to come to mind when someone thinks of Africa. Like seriously, this would have been the PERFECT time to have done linguistics! Ahhhh!!

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Mar 1 2017, 11:05 AM) *
I wish the topic was just West Africa- that is a clear region with several cultures. The term AFRICA seems to be baking in a lot of different cultures and saying "yes here's a survey of them" when that is definitely not what they are doing. I think a focus on west Africa would be great- I do not know much about the music of the region and if there is enough variety to warrant a full subject, but there is certainly enough west African art to constitute a viable resource.

I'm excited about the topic. I think it's cool since most kids do not know much about African history at all. I'm sure USAD will do a good job of being culturally sensitive- they have been in the past as far as I remember.

West Africa would be much more reasonable, I think, and it does say the Social Science will be kind of based around West Africa. Will it be the same for Art and Music? If so, why didn't they just name it that in the first place? There are many other parts of Africa than the west part.

That being said, I am excited about people learning more about Africa, especially from a non-imperialistic standpoint. I hope you're right about them being culturally sensitive -- I think they will be too, but the title of the topic simply being "AFRICA" worries me. I don't know. I guess we shall see.

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Mar 1 2017, 11:05 AM) *
The big thing USAD needs to do in my mind is get real about their test writers. This year's science tests were a joke, and many of them are simply too easy. The only set of tests I can look at this year and say that they got it right every time is math- it got more complex as the year went on (at least in Texas), but they have years of stuff to lean on for that. The test writing needs to be harder and more consistent.

++

+Quote Post
Guest_RachelShafer_*
post Mar 1 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #28

Guests

This topic is ridiculous. Taking on an entire continent in a single year is going to give inaccurate representation of an incredibly diverse continent and will inherently neglect or misrepresent the African experience. This feels orientalist given the precedent of covering a single country, they would never do all of Europe as a topic. Africa is not a homogenous impoverished wasteland the way this topic seems to view it. There are 54 countries that have unique colonial experience, ancient histories, and contemporary cultures. Decathalon allows students to study things they might not cover in depth in the classroom, but this topic glosses over a huge area and will not provide that in-depth coverage. I am extremely disappointed.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Mar 1 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

I agree that the term "Africa" as the topic makes me think they are being dismissive of an enormous amount of cultural diversity. That said...that doesn't really seem to be the topic. Art and Music seem to be survey level, which is what it has been for seemingly forever, especially when you compare era v. region years. Art and Music seem borderline off-topic during era years but fine during region years. SoSci is specific to west Africa. We will see what that means. Seba I agree that science seems like a bit ridiculous, but it is definitely a part of African history. Maybe shying away from it would be just as ridiculous?

If you look at the Latin American year, they basically meant Mexico. Which it seems is what they may be doing here- which is pretty lame. Also they may be cornering themselves on topics by calling this Africa- so what happens when you want to do a topic on the Swahili Coast? Or The Savannah? Or North Africa? Or the Congo River Valley?

I dont want to dismiss USAD as being "culturally insensitive"- I feel we could do that a lot of years if we really wanted to. I do think this title is far too broad.

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoint_acdec_*
post Mar 1 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #30

Guests

Two other notes/questions I have after looking at the 2017-18 brochure. I didn't look at all the material costs, but it looks like the hard copy curriculum package went up from $600 to $618. Digital package remains the same at $700. And there is a reference in the brochure to the Super Quiz being seven events, including math. Does anyone know if that's going to be one of the changes for AcDec competition in 2017-18?

+Quote Post
Guest_NathanDrake_*
post Mar 1 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #31

Guests

I would love to hear the music. African music is notable for complex rhythmic patterns, and polyphonic singing that's been around millennia before the Christian west conceived of harmony. Dk why science is pathology, especially since it looks like a repeat. Biodiversity seems like a more logical choice.

+Quote Post
Guest_Peter Cao_*
post Mar 2 2017, 02:04 AM
Post #32

Guests

I'm glad that they did well with the novel, especially having it be much more known than Transit, for example. I'm also excited because my coach has said that "Things Fall Apart" is her second favorite book, just behind "Great Expectations."

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Mar 2 2017, 06:22 AM
Post #33

Guests

I read "Things Fall Apart" for my African history class a couple years back. It's a pretty good easy read. Read it in like 3ish hours right before the midterm.

Also, 07-08 is ancient times now. Lol.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Mar 2 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Mar 2 2017, 06:22 AM) *
I read "Things Fall Apart" for my African history class a couple years back. It's a pretty good easy read. Read it in like 3ish hours right before the midterm.

Also, 07-08 is ancient times now. Lol.

You shut your mouth.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Mar 3 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #35

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

What's the book on one of the music selections being a John Cage piece of random piano notes inspired by cowrie shells? If I can get 2:1 or better, I'll put a hundred on that action. tongue.gif

There's always the chance that someone at USAD thought that Africa was a country...

And USAD recycles topics? Since when is that news? emot-smug.gif

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoint_acdec_*
post Mar 4 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #36

Guests

I was told by someone from USAD that they are definitely adding math questions to next year's Super Quiz. And I guess they will be live-tweeting the Super Quiz questions from this year's nationals.

This post has been edited by ridgepoint_acdec: Mar 8 2017, 01:04 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_korunic_*
post Mar 20 2017, 03:18 AM
Post #37

Guests

Live twitter superquiz is going to be pretty lit.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post May 1 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #38

Guests

Outlines posted.
http://www.usad.org/Footer-Menu/Resources/...m-Outlines.aspx

+Quote Post
Guest_fyzics_*
post May 1 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #39

Guests

QUOTE (Dave C @ May 1 2017, 08:08 AM) *

Thanks, Dave. I was looking and looking for these, and somehow couldn't find them.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post May 1 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #40

Guests

QUOTE (fyzics @ May 1 2017, 10:15 AM) *
QUOTE (Dave C @ May 1 2017, 08:08 AM) *

Thanks, Dave. I was looking and looking for these, and somehow couldn't find them.

That's the same thing that happened to me last year, and I went to the thread that we had last year (talking about WW2) and found that link posted by the Evil Dr. Calculus...the link is still good, even though it isn't available on the USAD homepage now. I wonder if they know that.

EDIT: I see that the link is now on the homepage. Hopefully everyone can find it now.

This post has been edited by Dave C: May 1 2017, 03:21 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 07:32 AM