IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> University World Scholar's Cup: The First Global Tournament, Hosted by Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China. June 4-6, 2010.
AK_WDB
post Oct 7 2009, 04:24 AM
Post #21

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Oct 6 2009, 07:58 PM) *
well, thanks for something resembling a little bit of agreement...
In the future, can we keep the insulting-of-peoples'-intelligence to a minimum on these boards? Most of us on here are of reasonable intelligence, though perhaps lacking in taste a bit.

Yeah, I agree. However, if anyone is making statements that appear to be racist, they will be subjected to a merciless takedown. I didn't really take your comment that way, but I think debator did.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Oct 7 2009, 04:30 AM
Post #22

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

QUOTE (debator @ Oct 6 2009, 09:28 PM) *
and i sincerely believe that geography has a negligible effect on scores. the first year of the program, the top two teams were from the US. the reason we don't do well is, like i said, because most people look at WSC as a priority second to AD, and dedicate their time to the latter program at the expense of the former.

As a former representative of team USA, I'm going to say this is dead on.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
tryingtothinkaga...
post Oct 7 2009, 04:39 AM
Post #23

Pagan god of varsity math and wtf's wrong with you

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 97

I don't really know how it could have been taken as racist...the only way I see for it to be interpreted in a negative manner is insulting the intelligence of asians, which is very counter-stereotypical...possibly making fun China's nationalism? But would that even classify as racist?
QUOTE (debator @ Oct 6 2009, 11:28 PM) *
not racist as much as america-centric.

and i sincerely believe that geography has a negligible effect on scores. the first year of the program, the top two teams were from the US. the reason we don't do well is, like i said, because most people look at WSC as a priority second to AD, and dedicate their time to the latter program at the expense of the former.

To be honest, that was probably more ex-decathlete-centric than anything

I did see that in the first year, the top two teams were indeed American. However, now that we have a university division, financial concerns will be amplified, and we'll have a new group of Americans that don't have AD to put before WSC (however, there are those pesky little bachelor degrees most of us are pursuing to steal our time...).

--------------------
Teddy Roosevelt's ghost 2012!

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

QUOTE (BearMan @ Feb 2 2012, 01:52 PM) *
oO You must have been a godly varsity.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Oct 7 2009, 06:00 AM
Post #24

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

As interesting as being on an ASU team for WSC would be this year, I'm starting to think there are a lot of other opportunities for travel through school that I think I'd be more inclined to take advantage of should I have surplus money to do so.

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Oct 7 2009, 06:00 AM

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Kort Jackson
post Oct 9 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #25

Procurer of vhaoijlhhngnsgagt.

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 58

I may just try to see if we can field a team for The University of Texas at San Antonio.

--------------------
Kort Jackson - Former Husky, Academic Decathlete, and other things. BA-History '12, Current Grad Student, DemiDecTalk commentator and other things.
Other than that, not at all epic.

+Quote Post
alpaca
post Oct 12 2009, 05:32 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Kort Jackson @ Oct 9 2009, 01:49 PM) *
I may just try to see if we can field a team for The University of Texas at San Antonio.

We'd be so honored to see you there, Kort.

+Quote Post
JBroms
post Nov 23 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #27

Connoisseur of Cheese

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 13

So, to give this some kind of a bump after I looked back through things, I have one question, will there be any from of a University-level online tournament?

Because what I see by talking to people and by what was said earlier in this thread, is that plenty of people are interested, but don't have the money to travel to China, myself included.
However, we could all probably scrape up $50 per person for an online tournament entry fee.

--------------------
QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 21 2012, 06:17 PM) *
Good varsities simply are; I'm honestly not sure there's any sort of rubric or trend.

QUOTE (dizzyizzy @ May 19 2012, 11:19 PM) *
"Soda" is the "Acadeca" of slang terms for carbonated beverages.

McDowell RECORD Varsity
I was the third-highest varsity in pa history for all of a month and a half.
....and now I'm just a washed up old gamer.
twitch.tv steam: http://twitch.tv/jbroms
(Self-Proclaimed) Patron Saint of the Varsities

+Quote Post
TheWerg
post Nov 23 2009, 08:04 AM
Post #28

Major Major Major Major

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 48

I'm gonna try to get Duke to pay if I can.

--------------------
"Slowly, I began to see--as if a veil had lifted--the tortured shadow of Cain everywhere, within me and without, his many cultural reincarnations parading through my mind like frames projected on a cyclorama. He was the first city-builder. Perhaps the father of science and philosophy. His war was with God, the Father who spurned him. Of the two--him and Abel--only Cain possessed subjectivity. A complex inner life. It was said that Western man himself was Cain, cursed with the burden of restlessness and the endless quest for selfhood."

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Nov 23 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (debator @ Oct 6 2009, 07:28 PM) *

If you live in the U.S. and do not have gobs of money, traveling to China for the WSC isn't a very affordable proposition. If you live near the venue, it's much more feasible. The reason U.S. teams dominated the first year is because (1) the program was just starting up so current and former Decathletes were the most familiar with it, and (2) most of the teams were made of people associated with DemiDec.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Nov 23 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #30

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

What debator said, but mellowed with age. All travel to WSC will not be cheap.

I can't get WSC taken seriously in my school precisely because it's seen as an also-ran next to USAD. I want to change that, and if WSC Global didn't conflict with my AP Reading, I'd be even more gung-ho about the change.

I've had an awful lot of dreams about China lately, and two extended scenes in the WSC promo video matches EXACTLY with a dream I had about a year and a half ago, so I know I'll be involved with it somehow eventually...

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Nov 24 2009, 02:28 AM
Post #31

QUOTE (debator @ Nov 23 2009, 02:14 PM) *
you know what? you're right. the year nationals was in honolulu, when travel expenses were greatest for all the other teams, kamehameha absolutely killed it.

look. some people see cost as a prohibitive factor, or are unable or unwilling to put the work in and muster the funds to make trip. many of these people are not american. you think a flight from singapore to incheon's cheap? the location isn't hurting the quality of american teams; american teams' lack of commitment to the program is. for a third time: almost every american going to the WSC sees it as a priority secondary to AD. so teams from other countries, who don't, put more time in and do better. this is what you have heard from every person who's actually competed in the world finals, so maybe you could acknowledge the fact that there might be other, non-exogenous reasons why your nationality doesn't dominate the competition.

I'm not saying the location is the reason Americans don't always win the competition, but rather that it's the reason there aren't as many Americans there. Maybe you could stop assuming that people are being racist/nationalist just because they point out empirical facts.

And teams going to USAD nationals get a lot more institutional support than WSC teams; for example, GCI, the sponsor of the Alaska state competition, pays for the winning team to go to nationals. Zzzptm is trying to change that at his school, but at the moment it remains the case across most of this country.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Nov 24 2009, 04:28 AM
Post #32

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Then again, if the WSC had a Solar Challenge on the moon, I doubt even DDD could make it there. Location can factor in.

If the Global Finals were in Garland, TX, I could get a team together, but they wouldn't be all that thrilled. They like a good road trip for a major competition. Something in Memphis would be perfect, because we could drive there in about 8 hours.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 06:06 AM