Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Meeting of the Minds, ITT: Mental Sumo Wrestling
zzzptm
post Jan 1 2011, 02:28 AM
Post #41

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Hmmm... then that runs into a question of how it should be organized. The main issue I see with it is getting everyone online at the same time.
Alternatively, we know everyone takes turns, so once I've ordered the captains, then they just post in turn and we wait until everyone's chosen. If a captain doesn't post within, what, 24 hours? 12 hours? after the captain immediately before him in the order, he loses a choice that round.

Sound good?

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Disturbed_*
post Jan 1 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #42

Guests

I know I'm new here and what not, plus i have to study, so definitely going to spectate for now, but would there be a new selection of teams with every new round of questions? or keepers and just add in new comers with each new set of questions?

+Quote Post
Guest_eric..._*
post Jan 1 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #43

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ Jan 1 2011, 04:18 AM) *
also: i can still see the judging topic, but once i click on a topic, it can't be read (even one i made myself).

same here. well, except for the 'still' part.

cant wait for the first blockbuster trade.

oh... and feel free to pick me last.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 1 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #44

The Fisher King

QUOTE (Disturbed @ Jan 1 2011, 01:19 AM) *
I know I'm new here and what not, plus i have to study, so definitely going to spectate for now, but would there be a new selection of teams with every new round of questions? or keepers and just add in new comers with each new set of questions?

New teams and new captains each round. I don't want EVER to have people give up on this because they think "Team X" has a lock on a win each round.

And, yes, don't skip on reading your packets for this or your coaches will KEEEEEELLL YOOOOO!

You should be able to see the topics in the judging area, but not read them. This way, each team can submit stuff there that nobody else will see. Once all the topics are in, I change it to all access with a password so I can judge, then it's all access w/o password with the submissions locked for the appeals process.

YAY ADMIN CP!!!

Setting up a secure area for captains to do their draft would work out. I'd want a record of it, just in case a dispute arose.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 2 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #45

The Fisher King

UPDATE: Changed 2.13 "Team Selection" to now be a draft. I hesitate to make it public, but if you would all prefer it to be so, I'll allow that. But webcasting comments about the draft MUST be in a separate thread.

What say you all?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 2 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #46

Guests

We should probably set up a chatroom somehow (i.e. AIM) for a draft; threads that end up like the nationals webcasts of old with 50 pages of posts in three hours are pretty annoying.

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post Jan 2 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #47

Guests

This is what Google Wave was made for.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 2 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #48

Guests

Actually that's a good idea, should we all post or PM someone our gmail accounts?

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Jan 2 2011, 01:14 AM
Post #49

Guests

don't have a gmail. Just use irc or something

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 2 2011, 01:43 AM
Post #50

The Fisher King

If it wasn't axed, what is Google Wave?

I'll do it on the boards for this round, but if the captains want to experiment with a draft in a different format, I'll all for you folks to do some research as to what works best. This is by us and for us, after all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 2 2011, 02:02 AM
Post #51

Guests

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Jan 1 2011, 06:14 PM) *
don't have a gmail. Just use irc or something

Not everyone has IRC. Some people would have to download something, or make a new e-mail address and the latter is probably easier.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 2 2011, 04:38 AM
Post #52

The Fisher King

I'd still want some sort of record here. Remember, if this works out, it could get very big and I'd want to have as formal a framework as possible.

IRC communication is pretty easy: I use IceChat for my IRC needs. Not much of a download and it logs every conversation by default.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Disturbed_*
post Jan 2 2011, 05:59 AM
Post #53

Guests

suggestion, for later drafts, so that you could still have a record here, the captains could agree on some form of chat (whatever they decide) and then you could set up a topic here, with one or two posts, with the teams on it, and as the draft progresses every few rounds update the posts so then everyone can see it, its on here, we don't have the 50 million posts. Just a possible idea

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post Jan 2 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #54

Guests

Wave actually saves the entire history of the document, literally every change that's made to it. Just saying. I'm open to IRC too, or any other idea. Just seemed like a pretty ideal tool to use, given the object of the competition.

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Jan 5 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #55

Guests

"What are the possible implications of a roboticized society?"

Sounds plenty broad and interpretive to me

Actually, sounds slightly more broad and interpretive than "How does humanity react to death?," which sounds more like a paper by an anthropology student. I'll admit though, after spending so much time on evolutionary biology, nothing to do with humanity other than speculation on the future sounds very broad or interpretive to me...

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 5 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #56

The Fisher King

Sounds like we need a steering committee on question topics... But I do think Japan is a sort of test case for the rest of the industrialized world, in that all industrialized nations will be facing a situation similar to Japan in the future. Japan just gets hit with it first. Does their culture make them more receptive to robots than, say the USA or UK?

It's still doable, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 5 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #57

The Fisher King

I like the breadth, as well, but I wanted to hold off on that until we're out of beta. I'm saving up the good ones for later... (AHA! SO YOU ADMIT THIS IS CRAP!)

I am looking at activity in the team areas... would you guys prefer the topic being simply, "Robotics" and allowing a wider range of research. I thought it went well with Japan, but I can see some of the frustrations that's causing...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Jan 5 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #58

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Jan 5 2011, 03:44 PM) *
I like the breadth, as well, but I wanted to hold off on that until we're out of beta. I'm saving up the good ones for later... (AHA! SO YOU ADMIT THIS IS CRAP!)

I am looking at activity in the team areas... would you guys prefer the topic being simply, "Robotics" and allowing a wider range of research. I thought it went well with Japan, but I can see some of the frustrations that's causing...

I've already committed to going back over way more anime than I'd ever like to admit to, so...

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Jan 5 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #59

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Jan 5 2011, 04:34 PM) *
Sounds like we need a steering committee on question topics... But I do think Japan is a sort of test case for the rest of the industrialized world, in that all industrialized nations will be facing a situation similar to Japan in the future. Japan just gets hit with it first. Does their culture make them more receptive to robots than, say the USA or UK?

It's still doable, right?

1. Maybe another closed board, with access only given to non-competitors sworn to secrecy? Or just coaches.
Maybe have the committee comprise of the team captains from the last round?

2. I was about to post a similar reply. Japan does make an excellent test case with its aging population, technocetric society, and struggling economy. From what I know of it, the country as a whole is several years, if not a full decade (I doubt it), ahead of the rest of the world in utilization of robotics. Sweden's probably ahead of the game with general technology, but Japan's where the robots are at. Will not elaborate for sake of competitive advantage.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 5 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #60

The Fisher King

OK, let's make this one work, then.

As for steering committee, I think tossing out ideas in the open is fine and then we'll kind of have a pot of questions to choose from. People could read up on what sounds interesting to them and if it becomes a topic, great, they're readier than someone that didn't have his or her interest piqued.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2018 - 07:41 AM