Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Online National Results
fyzics
post May 10 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 30,249

My kids who did the USAD online individual tests just got their scores back. As far as I can tell, my Honors kid earned 4 medals, and my two Varsities cleaned up - second and third place overall, with one earning medals in seven subjects, and the other earning medals in all eight. I am very proud of them, although I note that their scores are not particularly impressive, so I think it's a matter of much less competition, rather than that my kids were so amazing.

I post this with trepidation, as I have not received anything official from USAD. From what I understand, online nationals treats individuals as if they were all competing without any coaching, so no adult receives any copies of any emails. The kids forwarded me the PDFs they got, so this is my understanding of the results. I apologize in advance if I am misinterpreting anything!

That being said, although my kids enjoyed the online competition, I am not sure that I would recommend it for future teams or to anyone else. Being left out of the loop while still being expected to submit paperwork and find a proctor for an entire day of testing makes this an annoying experience. Additionally - and probably in large part because California holds its state competition so late in the year - we were scrambling a LOT to get things done for nationals. Case in point: one of my Varsities got the confirmation email that he was being allowed to compete online at 1:25 PM on the last day that they were allowed to practice logging in, when the login window closed at 3 PM our time. So THAT was exciting....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post May 11 2017, 01:56 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 671,637

QUOTE (fyzics @ May 10 2017, 04:20 PM) *
My kids who did the USAD online individual tests just got their scores back. As far as I can tell, my Honors kid earned 4 medals, and my two Varsities cleaned up - second and third place overall, with one earning medals in seven subjects, and the other earning medals in all eight. I am very proud of them, although I note that their scores are not particularly impressive, so I think it's a matter of much less competition, rather than that my kids were so amazing.

I post this with trepidation, as I have not received anything official from USAD. From what I understand, online nationals treats individuals as if they were all competing without any coaching, so no adult receives any copies of any emails. The kids forwarded me the PDFs they got, so this is my understanding of the results. I apologize in advance if I am misinterpreting anything!

That being said, although my kids enjoyed the online competition, I am not sure that I would recommend it for future teams or to anyone else. Being left out of the loop while still being expected to submit paperwork and find a proctor for an entire day of testing makes this an annoying experience. Additionally - and probably in large part because California holds its state competition so late in the year - we were scrambling a LOT to get things done for nationals. Case in point: one of my Varsities got the confirmation email that he was being allowed to compete online at 1:25 PM on the last day that they were allowed to practice logging in, when the login window closed at 3 PM our time. So THAT was exciting....

I believe that individual online nats should really only be done in situations like my own, where I was too poor to go to in-person nats but was a strong enough Decathlete to be competitive on such a level. Also, fun fact! You do not need a proctor for individual competitors, as USAD just doesn't care enough about it, I suppose.

--------------------
Nicholas Welch
MRHS Scholastic 2013-2016
E-Nats Scholastic Score Record Holder

+Quote Post
fyzics
post May 11 2017, 03:16 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ May 10 2017, 06:56 PM) *

I believe that individual online nats should really only be done in situations like my own, where I was too poor to go to in-person nats but was a strong enough Decathlete to be competitive on such a level. Also, fun fact! You do not need a proctor for individual competitors, as USAD just doesn't care enough about it, I suppose.

They told us we DID need proctors, even though the kids were only registered as individuals, and not as part of my team. Weird.

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post May 11 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (fyzics @ May 11 2017, 10:16 AM) *

They told us we DID need proctors, even though the kids were only registered as individuals, and not as part of my team. Weird.

That is quite weird, as I specifically sent an email inquiring about a proctor and was told I didn't need one. U-SAD maintains great consistency, I see

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 12 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #5

Turtlemaster

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ May 11 2017, 04:54 PM) *
QUOTE (fyzics @ May 11 2017, 10:16 AM) *
Also, fun fact! You do not need a proctor for individual competitors, as USAD just doesn't care enough about it, I suppose.

That is quite weird, as I specifically sent an email inquiring about a proctor and was told I didn't need one. U-SAD maintains great consistency, I see

Maybe they just changed it between this year and last?

Anyway, it is very strange how they're not giving any of this information directly to the coaches. I guess how involved the coach is depends on the school, but I don't see any real reason against keeping them in the loop... in many cases, the coaches are still doing a lot. Whatever the case, congrats to the students from Stockdale for doing so well! smile.gif

Also, results up on ADSIC here!

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
fyzics
post May 12 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

U-SAD was freaking out that my kids hadn't signed their Code of Student Conduct, which said that they needed a proctor.... Also, I would like to point out that they needed to be on computer for however many hours, which means that they had to be in a room on campus. We can't put them somewhere unless it's with a teacher.

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post May 13 2017, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Testing last year all came upon a day in which school was out, so it would have been very difficult to find a proctor had I been told I needed one.

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:25 AM