Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017 Nationals, April 20 - 22, 2017
Allan21996
post Apr 20 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 83,395

When it comes to individuals, once so many people get so good, it's just a subjective game of who was good that day, or who didn't get screwed

--------------------
The Allan Aguirre
Former 4 year Decathlete.
Former Coach of some decent teams.
Just out here for the memes.

If you're truly passionate about Decathlon(or anything), money, resources, ability, should never hold you back. It should only drive your passion further, because than you're truly achieving something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Apr 20 2017, 11:16 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 671,637

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Apr 19 2017, 10:09 PM) *
Individuals:

Individuals are always hard to predict but it's still fun.

DI:
H1. Melissa Santos, Granada Hills Charter, CA
H2. Michael Xie, Highland Park, TX
H3. Aishah Mahmud, Granada Hills Charter, CA
S1. Peter Shin, Granada Hills Charter, CA
S2. Mark Aguila, Granada Hills Charter, CA
S3. Christopher Lo, Granada Hills Charter, CA
V1. Wyatt Hill, Highland Park, TX
V2. Jordan Barretto, Granada Hills Charter, CA
V3. Sebastian Gonzalez, Granada Hills Charter, CA

It'd be cool if Jonathon Marek broke into the top three Honors like Tim You in 2015. Piper Gray/Brady Lybarger also have good shots at being top 3 in terms of non-Texans/Californians.

DII:
H1. Yongyuan Huang, Bishop Hendricken, RI
H2. Miki Hansen, Parsippany, NJ
H3. Dylan Temel, Bishop Hendricken, RI
S1. Isaac Bruley, Wilmot Union, WI
S2. Emily Heckel, Wilmot Union, WI
S3. Alden Pratt, Bishop Hendricken, RI
V1. Samantha Steiner, Wilmot Union, WI
V2. Ryan Brady, Bishop Hendricken, RI
V3. Will Chen, Parsippany, NJ

Honors is anyone's game -- only one DII competitor that I know of scored over 8k at State (Miki Hansen). Many in the mid-7k range, but I have the feeling Hendricken will end up holding up pretty well. Wilmot's freshman Honors are starting too low to probably make it in the cut, but we'll see. I feel like there's a good chance Dreher will have an Honors up there, but I'm not sure.

Scholastic too is pretty up for grabs, I think, except for the top spot, which I think will almost certainly go to Isaac Bruley. I don't know the exact balance of Wilmot's team, but I think their S2 was likely around 7k at State (and will as such probably rise a bit), and I think Hendricken will hold up pretty well in general. Rohan Singh of Parsippany or the two Scarborough Scholastics may also be in there, as well as a surprise from one of the other teams.

Varsity though looks strong in DII -- we've got Hendricken and Parsippany with 7k Varsities at State as well as two Wilmot Varsities, a Scarborough kid, and a Lathrop kid near there. It could be anyone's game.

DIII:
H1. Will Janning, Oakwood, OH
H2. Rey Arcenas, Oakwood, OH
H3. Henry O'Callaghan, Mount Michael, NE
S1. Clay Goertemiller, Oakwood, OH
S2. Drake Oberholtzer, Madison Academic, TN
S3. Kawika O'Connor, Kamehameha, HI
V1. Jacob Perry, Kamehameha, HI
V2. Matt Koch, Oakwood, OH
V3. John Jones, Oakwood, OH

As good as Oakwood is, I feel like the other schools will have good chances to break into the top 3 here -- particularly, I think Madison Academic has two very strong Scholastics, and Mount Michael's top Honors is super strong. But also, back to Kamehameha again -- I don't know if Jacob Perry is still a Varsity, but if he is, he should have that top spot in the bag. Kawika also has a good shot at being in the top three Scholastics, if he is a Scholastic again. But I don't know what to make of them right now -- as I said above, they could be 40k, or they may be 36k. We shall see.

Whatever the case: to everybody competing tomorrow, BEST OF LUCK, AND YOU'RE AWESOME!! biggrin.gif (And also say hi. xD)

If you're counting individual competitors in this, you certainly shouldn't count Mark Saving out for top Honors--he laid waste to everybody at Texas State. Also, if Wyatt Hill is seeded first, Mitchell Jackson should certainly be in contention for top 5, at the very least.

This post has been edited by Scholastic Underdog: Apr 20 2017, 11:19 PM

--------------------
Nicholas Welch
MRHS Scholastic 2013-2016
E-Nats Scholastic Score Record Holder

+Quote Post
madcap
post Apr 21 2017, 01:16 AM
Post #43

Alpwaaca

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Apr 19 2017, 09:09 PM) *
It'd be cool if Jonathon Marek broke into the top three Honors like Tim You in 2015.

Marek already did this in 2016, as a junior. He was third DI honors last year. Are you thinking it will be harder to do that this year?

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.

+Quote Post
Honourable Honor...
post Apr 21 2017, 01:27 AM
Post #44

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 690,310

Thanks for the vote of confidence Nicholas. Now time to study more.

--------------------
Mark Saving
Texas State Meet High Scorer 2017
All-Time Highest Objective 7-Event Score at Nationals and/or Enats (6,802.9)
2nd Highest Score Nationals 2017 (9,250.9)

+Quote Post
madcap
post Apr 21 2017, 01:30 AM
Post #45

Alpwaaca

Individual competitors have never received Nationals overall recognition, no matter how much higher they scored than everybody else. See the top varsity last year, for example. He was an individual competitor but did not receive overall recognition.

Does anybody know whether USAD is open to changing that, even if not this year?

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.

+Quote Post
Allan21996
post Apr 21 2017, 01:41 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 83,395

There are so many individuals, why isn't there just an individual bracket at this point?

--------------------
The Allan Aguirre
Former 4 year Decathlete.
Former Coach of some decent teams.
Just out here for the memes.

If you're truly passionate about Decathlon(or anything), money, resources, ability, should never hold you back. It should only drive your passion further, because than you're truly achieving something.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Apr 21 2017, 02:00 AM
Post #47

Turtlemaster

Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (madcap @ Apr 20 2017, 08:16 PM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Apr 19 2017, 09:09 PM) *
It'd be cool if Jonathon Marek broke into the top three Honors like Tim You in 2015.

Marek already did this in 2016, as a junior. He was third DI honors last year. Are you thinking it will be harder to do that this year?

Ahhhh you're right!! For some reason I had forgotten about that. Eep!! This means there's a good chance the top three DI Honors will be the exact same as last year...

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Apr 20 2017, 06:16 PM) *
If you're counting individual competitors in this, you certainly shouldn't count Mark Saving out for top Honors--he laid waste to everybody at Texas State. Also, if Wyatt Hill is seeded first, Mitchell Jackson should certainly be in contention for top 5, at the very least.

Oh yeah, was definitely not counting individuals (don't even know the divisions of all of them) --I could definitely see Mark in the top three otherwise, and same for Mitchell.

Speaking of which --
QUOTE (Honourable Honors @ Apr 20 2017, 08:27 PM) *
Thanks for the vote of confidence Nicholas. Now time to study more.

Get off DDT! tongue.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Apr 21 2017, 02:03 AM
Post #48

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (madcap @ Apr 20 2017, 08:30 PM) *
Individual competitors have never received Nationals overall recognition, no matter how much higher they scored than everybody else. See the top varsity last year, for example. He was an individual competitor but did not receive overall recognition.

Not this year. A lot of people don't like this format, so we'll see in the future.

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Apr 20 2017, 08:41 PM) *
There are so many individuals, why isn't there just an individual bracket at this point?

That's what would be really cool, but I think people are concerned about medal costs as well as awards ceremony running time. (It'd be like adding a fourth division, and if we're doing that, we may as well do International too!)

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Apr 21 2017, 02:24 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (madcap @ Apr 20 2017, 08:30 PM) *

Wrik destroyed Varsity, Wes destroyed Scholastic... While I understand their reasoning for why it isn't the case, at least to an extent, I wish there were a way for these individuals to get the recognition they deserve (outside of scoremonger discussions, of course tongue.gif)

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
Dave C
post Apr 21 2017, 03:09 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 233,229

The coaches meeting today was pretty contentious regarding the new speech format (5 or 6 kids in a room instead of just being with judges). Some strongly felt that it would be unfair to those going last (since they had to sit there as "active listeners" to the speeches before them, while the one going first got to keep studying right up to the moment they started). Also, it meant that many large meeting rooms in the convention center were divided up with curtains to create smaller rooms, meaning that speech rooms could hear each other. Some coaches did not like this because of possible distractions with applause and even just hearing others speaking.

So, coaches who are here...what did your kids say? Regarding distractions, a couple of mine said they were so tunnel-visioned that they didn't hear a thing. Several said they heard it but they didn't find it distracting. A couple didn't like it, but only one said that it was really horrible and he found it very distracting. As far as having an extra audience, I'm not sure it mattered. Those who are comfortable with public speaking can do it with or without an audience, and those who are not comfortable don't like it with or without an audience. So no one complained about that part of it. I'm curious what others said.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Apr 21 2017, 03:28 AM
Post #51

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (Dave C @ Apr 20 2017, 10:09 PM) *
Also, it meant that many large meeting rooms in the convention center were divided up with curtains to create smaller rooms, meaning that speech rooms could hear each other. Some coaches did not like this because of possible distractions with applause and even just hearing others speaking.

There would have had to be the same number of rooms regardless of whether we did group speech or not; the format did not impact the number of rooms needed. That being said, the pipe-and-drape setup (which was also done in Alaska last year) was definitely suboptimal, and I've heard a lot of complaints about it. I'm hoping that they learn from this and don't try to do it in Frisco next year.

As for the group speech, the students I've heard like it for the most part, so that's pretty neat. If we did a poll or something and most people thought it was better, we may consider doing it in Massachusetts.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Apr 21 2017, 06:19 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Apr 19 2017, 11:37 PM) *
Pre-E-Nationals team leaderboard on ADSIC here!

E-Nationals predictions are hard since some schools take it much less seriously than others. Nonetheless, here goes:

LARGE:
1. El Camino Real Charter, CA
2. Dulles, TX
3. McDowell, PA
4. Hamilton, AZ
5. Lincoln Pius X, NE

MEDIUM:
1. Edgewood, CA (anyone dare to disagree?)
2. Collegiate Academy, PA
3. Watertown, WI
4. Seton Catholic, AZ
5. Reitz Memorial, IN

SMALL:
1. St. Helena, CA
2. BASIS Chandler, AZ
3. Lourdes Central Catholic, NE
4. South Central Calhoun, IA
5. Clarion-Limestone, PA (or, hopefully Austin Prep from MA can break into the top five! #notbiased)

In essence, I think the top five per size will remain the same except for:

- McDowell jumping Hamilton in Large: Hamilton had hella subs, but McDowell had higher objs, at State
- Reitz Memorial jumping Turner in Medium: I feel like Reitz Memorial, who's been to National recently, will take the competition more seriously
- BASIS Chandler jumping Lourdes Central Catholic in Small: BASIS Chandler put up a huge increase at E-Nats last year. (Nebraska is also at a disadvantage due to their 25-question Math tests and only doing Social Science as Super Quiz.) Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped St. Helena too.

I just want my score record to hold for one year sad.gif

Jokes aside, my only predictions are that ECR wins Large and Edgewood crushes Medium. Even with a complete and total lack of preparation for E-nats, Edgewood may still be able to break their own record (again).

This post has been edited by Scholastic Underdog: Apr 21 2017, 06:19 AM

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
schwartzy18
post Apr 21 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 230,734

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Apr 20 2017, 05:41 PM) *

I think the real question is why aren't there wildcards?!?!?
USAD first said it was about the money and size, but now they're inviting foreign teams and increasing the individual competition.
While it's great that those individuals who put in a lot of time and effort get to go through to nationals, I'm sure they would prefer going with their TEAM!
This is a team sport. So start inviting more deserving teams.

+Quote Post
Phil Cerami
post Apr 21 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 265

QUOTE (schwartzy18 @ Apr 21 2017, 03:29 PM) *
QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Apr 20 2017, 05:41 PM) *

I think the real question is why aren't there wildcards?!?!?
USAD first said it was about the money and size, but now they're inviting foreign teams and increasing the individual competition.
While it's great that those individuals who put in a lot of time and effort get to go through to nationals, I'm sure they would prefer going with their TEAM!
This is a team sport. So start inviting more deserving teams.

What I heard through the grapevine is that when they decided to invite international teams, that the hotel considerations were such that they already reserved for 50 teams. As a result, wild cards were tossed.

Frisco is the first competition where they have been able to actually plan for international teams. I wonder if we will be back to 50 US teams plus international. It's what they should do.

--------------------
Coach and Founder of Souderton HS Academic Decathlon
Eastern PA Academic Decathlon Regional Director
www.mrcerami.com

+Quote Post
kdarrow
post Apr 22 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 122

Math just broke the awards ceremony. 100+ medals?

--------------------
"Nevertheless, I think Mr. Kurtz is a remarkable man."

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Apr 22 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #56

Don't compare my beat with his...

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (kdarrow @ Apr 22 2017, 03:56 PM) *

With the China teams getting medals but not taking them away from U.S. kids, they seemed to dominate but it also made it so the U.S. kids ALSO had to get awards. Good god must have been a lot of 943, 971, and 1000

Anyone know when E-Nats tend to get their results? I felt it took a while in the past.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
acadecker
post Apr 22 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 168

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Apr 22 2017, 08:36 AM) *
QUOTE (kdarrow @ Apr 22 2017, 03:56 PM) *

With the China teams getting medals but not taking them away from U.S. kids, they seemed to dominate but it also made it so the U.S. kids ALSO had to get awards. Good god must have been a lot of 943, 971, and 1000

Anyone know when E-Nats tend to get their results? I felt it took a while in the past.

I have hot heard a peep. I would hope that they let us know, somehow . . .

--------------------
Still coaching Academic Decathlon after 28 years!

+Quote Post
madcap
post Apr 22 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #58

Alpwaaca

http://usad.org/Home/2017-Preliminary-Nati...Unofficial.aspx

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Apr 22 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Through some preliminary calculation, Mark Saving won in obs with 6,802.9. Freaking crazy stuff.

Melissa Santos also was likely 9.5k... again

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
Honourable Honor...
post Apr 22 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 690,310

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Apr 22 2017, 03:55 PM) *
Through some preliminary calculation, Mark Saving won in obs with 6,802.9. Freaking crazy stuff.

Melissa Santos also was likely 9.5k... again

I guess looking at ddt didn't stop me smile.gif

Anyone know when I get my overall score? And how? Someone posted a really low score for me on the acadecscores website but I have no idea where that number came from. I certainly hope I didn't get 750 on interview and essay.

--------------------
Mark Saving
Texas State Meet High Scorer 2017
All-Time Highest Objective 7-Event Score at Nationals and/or Enats (6,802.9)
2nd Highest Score Nationals 2017 (9,250.9)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 07:29 AM