IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State/Texas/2017, Everything is bigger in Texas Academic Decathlon!
Stanley Tree
post Feb 27 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #21

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Feb 27 2017, 04:00 AM) *
Andrew, what you did this weekend--no, this entire year, is nothing short of amazing. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for Taylor to pull off the win since they're home-team to me, but I'm incredibly impressed with the team you managed to pull together this season. As Robb already pointed out, in case anybody was unaware, your team consisted of 6 Scholastics and 3 Varsities. The fact that you not only made this work, but ultimately managed to WIN with this is mind-blowing.

Coming out of last year, I thought you'd struggle somewhat with getting the kinds of scores you got last year, most notably Allison and Brian's. However, clearly what you lost in stand-out individual talent you made back in team consistency and chemistry (this year's science helped with that, right? wink.gif ). I know I keep saying the same thing, and I'd hate to sound like a broken record, but what you managed to pull off is just incredibly impressive.

Coming out of this weekend, Morton has officially lost its advantage over all of the teams that advanced to state, with everybody now getting prepared to begin anew next year (Except for Highland Park, Dulles, and the other two division winners of course, who will continue on in competition). I've said this before, but I will say it again: I'm not letting my senior year be a fluke. There are a thousand things I could point out that went wrong with Morton this year, but at the end of the day, they lost the drive to succeed. Patrick and I were integral in pushing the team forward my senior year, and I plan on doing everything in my power to re-establish the standards that were lost this year.

An enormous congratulations to everybody who competed at state this weekend, and I can't wait to see you all next year smile.gif

Thank you for the kind words. I just hope we can continue to improve and impress. Morton would have been at state most likely if not for the tough essay scoring in Region VII. I hope it can be corrected going forward- it makes it tough on all the Region VII teams. I am excited to see what you can do and what kind of culture you can create at Morton Ranch.

Something I noticed that I found interesting- we have had a different state champion in Texas across the three divisions each of the last four years. HP won the last two years but as the Large last year and Medium this year.
Large- Dulles, Highland Park, Pearland, Rockwall
Medium- Highland Park, Alice, Heath, Friendswood
Small- Bandera, JPII, Taylor, Lone Star

That's pretty neat smile.gif Also if someone can fill in the Bandera score on DDSIC as I cannot find it.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Feb 27 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 671,637

Does anybody have any more scores they can add to ADSIC? I feel like we had an almost-entirely-full page by this point last year.

--------------------
Nicholas Welch
MRHS Scholastic 2013-2016
E-Nats Scholastic Score Record Holder

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Feb 27 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #23

I heard something about a dead flash drive which is why scores are slow to get out

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Feb 27 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #24

Current list is incorrect. Clear Lake should be higher and some other changes.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
melanie98
post Feb 28 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,712

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 26 2017, 08:22 PM) *
Congratulations, Andrew. You've come so far in such a short time. Wow. Also, congratulations to Melanie at Summit, who has been quietly improving and building a dynasty. And to Ridgepoint: it's hard to medal at state, and it's going to get better every year. It's great to see great new teams finishing in the top ten.

Also, Highland Park. Enough said.

Thanks! Finishing third was so exciting for my students. Our best showing by far! I think they were equally excited to have taken the gold in super quiz relay. While I realize that many dismiss super quiz relay since it doesn't figure into the team score, I know that earning a perfect 36 out of 36 in super quiz relay was one of the highlights of my team's weekend and I'll be able to use that enthusiasm for recruiting for years. smile.gif

--------------------
Melanie Atkinson
Summit High School
Mansfield ISD

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Feb 28 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 252,079

QUOTE (melanie98 @ Feb 28 2017, 10:38 AM) *
QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 26 2017, 08:22 PM) *
Congratulations, Andrew. You've come so far in such a short time. Wow. Also, congratulations to Melanie at Summit, who has been quietly improving and building a dynasty. And to Ridgepoint: it's hard to medal at state, and it's going to get better every year. It's great to see great new teams finishing in the top ten.

Also, Highland Park. Enough said.

Thanks! Finishing third was so exciting for my students. Our best showing by far! I think they were equally excited to have taken the gold in super quiz relay. While I realize that many dismiss super quiz relay since it doesn't figure into the team score, I know that earning a perfect 36 out of 36 in super quiz relay was one of the highlights of my team's weekend and I'll be able to use that enthusiasm for recruiting for years. smile.gif

Wow, 36 out of 36 in Super Quiz is really impressive. If you want to use that as a recruiting tool, you can mention it was the top score this year in the entire state - the best at the large schools in Super Quiz was 35 of 36.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Ridge Point High School, Texas
State Qualifiers 2016 (medium school level) and 2017 (large school level)
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Team Champs, 2014, 2015, 2017

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Mar 1 2017, 03:33 AM
Post #27

Turtlemaster

Member No.: 235,284

Holy frap wow. Congrats Dulles for blowing it out of the park! (I think that's a thing people say; I'm a terrible linguistics major...) There's a lot to talk about here and I do not have the time to go as in-depth as I'd like, but congrats to everyone for another great year with some really outstanding achievements. To Andrew and all of his kids, for taking a small program to win State in three years. To Highland Park and their incredible record-breaking team that shall soon be facing off with California in Wisconsin. To Coppell and Friendswood for their unpredictable rise into the top five; to Summit and Hebron (and probably others) for their best years yet; to Little Elm, for staying strong their second year out the gate; to Bandera for their first-ever State Title; and to everyone who participated this year and got the most out of the program. :')

QUOTE (madcap @ Feb 26 2017, 10:18 PM) *
Others may already know, but this is actually a team of six scholastics and three varsities. Has anybody else ever even heard of that existing before? I'm genuinely curious.

The Connecticut team headed to Nationals has six Scholastics. tongue.gif

Also, so does still no one have Medium/Small scores??

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Mar 3 2017, 12:43 AM
Post #28

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Seriously, someone should have noticed the essay was coded incorrectly and then have done the right thing and graded it in the proper category. How hard can it be to do that? The coding is for convenience, but the graders can still do what is right for the kids.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 07:24 AM