Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2nd Annual DDT Winter Scrimmage!!, IT IS HAPPENING
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 7 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #21

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

Nathan Bergman of Westwood scored a perfect 1000 on the math test. (And yes, I am aware that one of the math questions is conceptually incorrect.)

pwnt.gif

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jan 7 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 671,637

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Jan 7 2017, 01:25 PM) *
Nathan Bergman of Westwood scored a perfect 1000 on the math test. (And yes, I am aware that one of the math questions is conceptually incorrect.)

pwnt.gif

Which question was that? Katherine got a 971, with the question she missed simply being one of laziness, which means she must have just guessed "right" on that one as well huh.gif

--------------------
Nicholas Welch
MRHS Scholastic 2013-2016
E-Nats Scholastic Score Record Holder

+Quote Post
Allan21996
post Jan 7 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 83,395

1000 an 971 on DD Gold Math? Jesus. CAL TECH BOUND.

--------------------
The Allan Aguirre
Former 4 year Decathlete.
Former Coach of some decent teams.
Just out here for the memes.

If you're truly passionate about Decathlon(or anything), money, resources, ability, should never hold you back. It should only drive your passion further, because than you're truly achieving something.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 7 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #24

Creepy Old Coach

It's the question about a circle. The equation they give is actually an ellipse, not a circle. I'll let you know what number it is.

Nathan's coach says Princeton, btw.

--------------------
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jan 7 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Katherine says Houston Community College. 1.35 GPA tends to hurt your chances at getting into good colleges, apparently. facepalm.gif

I just texted her about that question (she says it was in the 20s she thinks), and she said she wasn't getting any of the answers so she tried an ellipse since that's what the answer choices were. I think she might have just guessed correctly, but who knows? tongue.gif

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jan 7 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Katherine is officially the reincarnation of Kris Sankaran. No words for her scores. Will keep secret until the rest of the scores come in.

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
korunic
post Jan 8 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #27

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 694,862

Anyone know what was up with the science test difficulty? From the Buena Scrimmage, don't remember overall scores but the top honors score was like 720, followed by a 480 or something. I personally got 4th for scholastics with a 380 unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Allan21996
post Jan 8 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 83,395

QUOTE (korunic @ Jan 8 2017, 11:42 AM) *
Anyone know what was up with the science test difficulty? From the Buena Scrimmage, don't remember overall scores but the top honors score was like 720, followed by a 480 or something. I personally got 4th for scholastics with a 380 unsure.gif

Just looked at the test. I didn't read the science guide and am not particularly good at science, but just looking at the test and the answer key it's a test where you just need to know what the guide says well. If you have those direct lines and definition from the guide, you should be fine. Science is something that is going to require a good amount of time this season.

--------------------
The Allan Aguirre
Former 4 year Decathlete.
Former Coach of some decent teams.
Just out here for the memes.

If you're truly passionate about Decathlon(or anything), money, resources, ability, should never hold you back. It should only drive your passion further, because than you're truly achieving something.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 8 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #29

Creepy Old Coach

There were only 3 scores in science at Buena over 500 points. It seems to be a pretty hard test.

--------------------
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jan 9 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

H2 and V1 are missing for Morton sad.gif Scores not horrible thus far, but certainly not great either.

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
ridgepoint_acdec
post Jan 9 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 687,513

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Jan 9 2017, 10:50 PM) *
H2 and V1 are missing for Morton sad.gif Scores not horrible thus far, but certainly not great either.

We have one last score to input (math test for S2) and I'm hoping these tests prove to be a lot tougher than last year's winter scrimmage as our objectives are much lower than what we got in R1 at our district meet. But it was good practice for us and I'm hoping it will help us in two weeks at the region meet. Thanks for running the meet and best of luck to all teams here in the coming weeks.

By the way, science was so, so tough! And my team which has three sophomores also didn't do particularly well on the math test either.

--------------------
Ridge Point HS (Texas) AcDec Coach
State Meet Qualifiers in 2016 and 2017

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 9 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #32

Creepy Old Coach

By the way, science was so, so tough! And my team which has three sophomores also didn't do particularly well on the math test either.

Same here. I feel your pain.

--------------------
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
fyzics
post Jan 10 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30,249

Thanks so much for offering this opportunity! While a part of me wishes it had been next weekend (because we do our speeches, interviews, and essays on Thursday of this week and could use more practice on the subjectives), this is a great way to see what we need to focus on in the next few weeks. Also, because our essay topics are based on lit, SoSci, and science, we are making sure we know what we missed on those three tests, and putting off the others until after the 12th.

I had an alternate B leave partway through the Gold Scrimmage, and also my third C, due to the fact that we pushed it off until Monday. (We had originally agreed to do it Friday, but that was still during winter break, so three of my stronger kids were with family that day.) So I entered zeros for the tests that they missed.

Again, thanks for letting Stockdale in Bakersfield, CA participate!

Gaby

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Jan 11 2017, 07:33 AM
Post #34

Turtlemaster

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 235,284

Aaaaaaaaand results are in!

Congrats to the winner, Stockdale High School! biggrin.gif

Thanks so much to everyone involved!! Due to weather and the timing of everything, several schools ended up not being able to test, but we still had a pretty good showing. I hope everybody enjoyed it, and Nick and I will be planning this much further in advance next year. smile.gif

Overalls below; results PDF attached! (Direct link also here; last year's scores can be found here.)

Overall Team Scores:
1 Stockdale, California 25305.6
2 Canyon del Oro, Arizona 25094.4
3 Summit, Texas 24639.9
4 Trabuco Hills, California 20542.7
5 Irving, Texas 20408.5
6 Ridge Point, Texas 18968.6
7 Earl Warren, Texas 18234.4
8 Morton Ranch, Texas 16894.3
9 Homeschool 6611.4
10 Berkmar, Georgia 5660.0

It was super close at the top, but Stockdale edged out a win over CDO!

(At least Trabuco Hills, Irving and Morton Ranch were missing likely counters; Berkmar fielded an incomplete team.)

Honors:
1 Vedant, Stockdale 5645.7
2 Piper Gray, Canyon del Oro 5454.3
3 Daniel Erickson, Summit 5097.1
4 Uzair Saleem, Summit 4945.7
5 Jake Weaver, Summit 4925.7
6 Karina Akers, Trabuco Hills 4897.1
7 Jenna, Stockdale 4865.7
8 Kush Attal, Trabuco Hills 4840.0
9 Edwin Santos, Trabuco Hills 4325.7
10 Jordan, Stockdale 4251.4

Scholastic:
1 Brady Lybarger, Canyon del Oro 4988.6
2 Sumanth, Stockdale 4397.1
3 Pedro Ortiz, Summit 4140.0
4 Evan Cuillier, Canyon del Oro 3962.9
5 Jesse Burnell, Earl Warren 3882.9
6 Aaron, Stockdale 3877.1
7 Jordan P, Stockdale 3654.3
8 Eduardo Torres, Irving 3577.1
9 Luis Colin, Irving 3505.7
10 Joella Krauss, Morton Ranch 3494.3

Varsity:
1 Katherine Scott, Homeschool 6611.4
2 Caleb Venerable, Summit 4034.3
3 Albert Windes, Canyon del Oro 3651.4
4 Jacob Shotkoski, Summit 3505.7
5 William Shein, Ridge Point 3365.7
6 Nathan, Stockdale 3342.9
7 Patrick Carswell, Canyon del Oro 3208.6
8 Omar Lazcano, Irving 3188.6
9 Braulio, Stockdale 3177.1
10 Paige Dingman, Canyon del Oro 3137.1

Yes, you read that right -- Katherine Scott beat everybody else by nearly 1,000 entire points. No one beat her in a single event (though Piper Gray tied her 1,000 in Social Science). No, I have no idea how on earth that is humanly possible. No, I have not confirmed she actually is human.

These tests were really hard, so I'd say maybe 4-5k may be a good adjustment to make here. Perhaps we will use a different set of tests in the future.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DDT_Scrimmage_2017_Awards.pdf ( 837.31K ) Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 11 2017, 12:51 PM
Post #35

Creepy Old Coach

Thank you for organizing this! It's always fun to see how you stack up against other teams across the nation. Congratulations to Stockdale on their victory.

Now, about Katherine... First, how is a homeschooled person a varsity? In AZ, if you're homeschooled, you automatically become an Honor student, due to the lack of transcripts. However, in the overall scheme of things, that doesn't really matter What she needs, is a school, and I'd like to offer her a place at CDO. We have several students whose families have spare bedrooms, and would be happy to take her in, so she could have a school and a team to compete with. smile.gif

Congratulations to her: those scores are beyond remarkable.

--------------------
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jan 11 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Jan 11 2017, 06:51 AM) *
Thank you for organizing this! It's always fun to see how you stack up against other teams across the nation. Congratulations to Stockdale on their victory.

Now, about Katherine... First, how is a homeschooled person a varsity? In AZ, if you're homeschooled, you automatically become an Honor student, due to the lack of transcripts. However, in the overall scheme of things, that doesn't really matter What she needs, is a school, and I'd like to offer her a place at CDO. We have several students whose families have spare bedrooms, and would be happy to take her in, so she could have a school and a team to compete with. smile.gif

Congratulations to her: those scores are beyond remarkable.

Katherine is a Varsity because she attended Morton Ranch for a little over two years before transferring to various drug recovery high schools and finally just becoming home schooled (this all happened over the course of about three months). We still have her transcripts from when she was at Morton, and USAD said they'd count those when I emailed them since they are from the last two years. A really lucky break, as we thought she'd have to compete Honors, but we're happy she doesn't have to anymore.

This scrimmage was super fun to run and watch, and I'm really glad I had this idea last year and that we went through with it. Congratulations to all of the teams who competed, and good luck on the rest of your seasons! smile.gif

Side note: I don't know if Katherine is human either.

Edit: technically speaking, she isn't home-schooled per se, she goes to some alternative accelerated school next to our outlet mall so that she can finish high school this year (because she's behind schedule and is trying to catch back up). If she ends up being in high school one more year, she's going to have to compete in Honors, simply because her transcript trail is impossible to follow from all of those schools she bounced between.

This post has been edited by Scholastic Underdog: Jan 11 2017, 03:46 PM

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
fyzics
post Jan 11 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

This was a GREAT experience, and I am so glad we got a chance to participate! You can let Katherine know that I MYSELF have a spare bedroom that I would be happy to give her, rent free. Just sayin' smile.gif

Out here in Kern County, we are competing against teams that do not take Decathlon seriously, so these kinds of experiences are invaluable when it comes to keeping my kids motivated to think outside the "box" of our local area. I would love to see Stockdale become a major player in California, up there with the likes of Granada, El Camino, South Pass, and the other amazing schools. I know our kids can do it, but it's been a real challenge to convince THEM that they have what it takes, and that it would be worth putting in their time, energy, and effort. Pushing them to take a really hard set of tests with other teams across the nation really changes their mindset about what it means to be a decathlete, and helps build a culture at our school for the future.

I would love for people to think, "Bakersfield? They have an AWESOME Acadec program!" and not, "Bakersfield? The armpit of California?"

Think big, my friends, think big. laugh.gif

Looking forward to subjectives tomorrow, and then to Round Two on Feb 4th. Hope to see some of you at states - and, someday, maybe, at nationals!

Gaby

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jan 11 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Morton had a pretty disappointing showing at this meet, though they're making small gains from R1, so that's good, I suppose. Our H2 couldn't compete because he is an incredibly busy person and he isn't actually in our class, so we couldn't really get around that fact. Our V1 simply flaked out on us two days in a row, which certainly does not bode well for our future. Morton is currently riding the bubble of top 40, and I fear our season may be coming to a close. If so, I'll shift all my attention to Katherine and try to ensure she's in fighting shape for R3 and Nationals. Seems like last year really was a fluke season for Morton :/

On a way more positive note, you all did awesome at this scrimmage and I'm so happy to see all the participation that we got! On top of that, it makes me really happy that this scrimmage revived the boards again, even if only for a little while. All of you are why I love Decathlon smile.gif

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 11 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #39

Creepy Old Coach

I would love for people to think, "Bakersfield? They have an AWESOME Acadec program!" and not, "Bakersfield? The armpit of California?"

Anyone knows that Oildale is the armpit of California, not Bakersfield...

--------------------
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
fyzics
post Jan 11 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Jan 11 2017, 11:29 AM) *

Anyone knows that Oildale is the armpit of California, not Bakersfield...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

But given that they're our crosstown rivals, we're maybe the lymph nodes of California....

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 07:39 AM