> 2nd Annual DDT Winter Scrimmage!!, IT IS HAPPENING
TinDefacto
post Dec 21 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Turtlemaster

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 235,284

Hey everybody,

Nick and I are pleased to announce the 2ND ANNUAL DEMIDECTALK WINTER SCRIMMAGE!! biggrin.gif cool.gif jay.gif yahoo.gif

Info:
* Friday, January 6 through Tuesday, January 10
* May test on any one day in the window, though all 7 tests must be taken on one day
* Open to any team in the world that has not used DemiDec Gold tests (which we will be taking), regardless of DemiDec subscription or whether you have a DDT account
* As many students as who want may participate (i.e. not only the final team members)
* Tests will be proctored by coaches with scores input into a separate Google Doc per team
* All scores will be shared between teams only after all testing is complete & awards PDF completed

So excited to do this again -- we got ten teams last year when we pulled everything together last-minute, so hopefully we'll have even more this year. smile.gif (Next year though we'll announce much earlier!!)

Love,
Nick & Sebastian
Reason for edit: Using Gold rather than Silver now

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Dec 21 2016, 11:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 671,637

Morton + my monster varsity will be competing smile.gif

--------------------
Nicholas Welch
MRHS Scholastic 2013-2016
E-Nats Scholastic Score Record Holder

+Quote Post
Alex Ballard
post Dec 22 2016, 01:10 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 680,812

You can count Trabuco Hills in!

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 22 2016, 02:55 AM
Post #4

Turtlemaster

I will do so once you fill out the signup form. tongue.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
fyzics
post Dec 22 2016, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30,249

Wow, this is awesome!

It will be a challenge for us for a couple of reasons:

1. We don't go back to school until the 9th
2. We have our Speech/Interview/Essay competition on the 12th

But who can pass up an offer like this one? Thanks so much for putting this together.

Gaby from Stockdale in Bakersfield, CA

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Dec 22 2016, 10:58 PM
Post #6

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

Although we have a real scrimmage on Jan. 6 and 7, CDO will probably take these tests on Jan. 14 or so.

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
ridgepoint_acdec
post Dec 22 2016, 11:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 687,513

Thanks for organizing this. A couple of questions: 1) will you be emailing the coaches the tests? (I purchase DemiDec materials, but not the level that includes the silver tests) and 2) is it open to schools of all levels or just the "elite" schools? We're hoping to have our first-ever team score of above 40,000 (came close last year at regionals) and this kind of additional testing environment could help us get closer to that goal.

--------------------
Ridge Point HS (Texas) AcDec Coach
State Meet Qualifiers in 2016 and 2017

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Dec 23 2016, 12:06 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ridgepoint_acdec @ Dec 22 2016, 05:47 PM) *
Thanks for organizing this. A couple of questions: 1) will you be emailing the coaches the tests? (I purchase DemiDec materials, but not the level that includes the silver tests) and 2) is it open to schools of all levels or just the "elite" schools? We're hoping to have our first-ever team score of above 40,000 (came close last year at regionals) and this kind of additional testing environment could help us get closer to that goal.

You will be getting emailed the tests closer to the actual date of testing, and this is for anybody and everybody. Morton is not exactly what I'd call an elite school haha, this is open to everybody to function as both a progress-check for Winter Break while also serving as a having-fun scrimmage before stuff gets serious on the 20th (for us Texans).

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 23 2016, 05:52 AM
Post #9

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Dec 22 2016, 07:06 PM) *
QUOTE (ridgepoint_acdec @ Dec 22 2016, 05:47 PM) *

You will be getting emailed the tests closer to the actual date of testing, and this is for anybody and everybody. Morton is not exactly what I'd call an elite school haha, this is open to everybody to function as both a progress-check for Winter Break while also serving as a having-fun scrimmage before stuff gets serious on the 20th (for us Texans).

Indeed!! Schools of all levels are absolutely welcome and invited to compete. smile.gif Tests will be emailed a couple of days before the start of testing.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 27 2016, 02:49 AM
Post #10

Turtlemaster

List of (likely) competitors so far:
Berkmar (GA)
Drake (CA) (only half the team can make it)
Irving (TX)
Morton Ranch (TX)
Ridge Point (TX)
Stockdale (CA)
Trabuco Hills (CA)
Earl Warren (TX)

Keep 'em comin'! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
ridgepoint_acdec
post Jan 2 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 27 2016, 02:49 AM) *
List of (likely) competitors so far:
Berkmar (GA)
Irving (TX)
Morton Ranch (TX)
Ridge Point (TX)
Stockdale (CA)
Trabuco Hills (CA)
Earl Warren (TX)

Keep 'em comin'! biggrin.gif

Did you see my private message about the meet? If not, I can re-send it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Jan 3 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #12

Turtlemaster

BUMP

It's not too late to sign up! biggrin.gif

Berkmar (GA)
Irving (TX)
Morton Ranch (TX)
New Fairfield (CT)
Ridge Point (TX)
Rockwall (TX) (*maybe*)
Stockdale (CA)
Trabuco Hills (CA)
Earl Warren (TX)

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jan 4 2017, 06:04 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Hey all! As Sebastian said in the previous post, it is not too late to sign up for the scrimmage! For any teams that may be on the fence, I can say with complete honesty that this scrimmage last year was perhaps the biggest wake-up call for Morton that allowed for us to finish 8th in Texas at R2. If you have the opportunity, take this scrimmage! You will not regret it!!! smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
melanie98
post Jan 4 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,712

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Jan 4 2017, 12:04 AM) *
Hey all! As Sebastian said in the previous post, it is not too late to sign up for the scrimmage! For any teams that may be on the fence, I can say with complete honesty that this scrimmage last year was perhaps the biggest wake-up call for Morton that allowed for us to finish 8th in Texas at R2. If you have the opportunity, take this scrimmage! You will not regret it!!! smile.gif smile.gif

Agreed. We did it last year and it was great. Just signed us up! Yay! More tests!

--------------------
Melanie Atkinson
Summit High School
Mansfield ISD

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Jan 6 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 284

Ah, we were are so close, but can't get the testing in until the 14th.

+Quote Post
ridgepoint_acdec
post Jan 7 2017, 12:23 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Starting to take these tests and will continue to post online as scores come in. I'm having 11 kids take the tests (still trying to figure out who my #3 scholastic will be) although it might just be nine take all seven tests. Quick question for anyone who might have insight. How do the DemiDec gold tests typically compare in difficulty to either Round 1 or the Regional tests? (these seem tough based on my team's early scores compared to what they did at the district meet which used Round One)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Ballard
post Jan 7 2017, 12:52 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 680,812

QUOTE (ridgepoint_acdec @ Jan 6 2017, 04:23 PM) *
Starting to take these tests and will continue to post online as scores come in. I'm having 11 kids take the tests (still trying to figure out who my #3 scholastic will be) although it might just be nine take all seven tests. Quick question for anyone who might have insight. How do the DemiDec gold tests typically compare in difficulty to either Round 1 or the Regional tests? (these seem tough based on my team's early scores compared to what they did at the district meet which used Round One)

We are taking ours Monday, but I looked through them, and I agree that the level of difficulty seems much higher than Round 1 or Regionals last year. I would be interested to see how others think these compare.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Jan 7 2017, 01:59 AM
Post #18

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (Alex Ballard @ Jan 6 2017, 07:52 PM) *

We are taking ours Monday, but I looked through them, and I agree that the level of difficulty seems much higher than Round 1 or Regionals last year. I would be interested to see how others think these compare.

The DemiDec Gold tests are very hard, so don't worry if your scores seem low!! smile.gif When the competition is over and everybody's scores are shared, it should put everything into better perspective.

Also, those competing were supposed to get Silver tests rather than Gold, but there was a slight mixup with links and I accidentally sent everyone Gold. Too late to change now, though, so I guess we'll have to continue using that. I am very sorry for the error and hope it doesn't inconvenience anyone!!

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jan 7 2017, 02:46 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Katherine will be starting in 20 minutes. Will update with how she felt about each test afterwards. I'm excited smile.gif

Good luck to everybody competing! I look forward to seeing your scores as they come in biggrin.gif

--------------------
Nicholas Welch

+Quote Post
Allan21996
post Jan 7 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 83,395

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Jan 6 2017, 05:59 PM) *
QUOTE (Alex Ballard @ Jan 6 2017, 07:52 PM) *

The DemiDec Gold tests are very hard, so don't worry if your scores seem low!! smile.gif When the competition is over and everybody's scores are shared, it should put everything into better perspective.

Also, those competing were supposed to get Silver tests rather than Gold, but there was a slight mixup with links and I accidentally sent everyone Gold. Too late to change now, though, so I guess we'll have to continue using that. I am very sorry for the error and hope it doesn't inconvenience anyone!!

Demidec Silver and Bronze are also pretty dang difficult. I don't think we've broken 34k ever on one of those sets(though we haven't taken one this year). Whatever we get on one of those DD sets we add 2-4k. Usually our scores in Econ, Math, and Science go up a good amount from those Demidec sets. We love to practice with Demidec Math and Econ and just seeing the scores rise on competition day.

--------------------
The Allan Aguirre
Former 4 year Decathlete.
Former Coach of some decent teams.
Just out here for the memes.

If you're truly passionate about Decathlon(or anything), money, resources, ability, should never hold you back. It should only drive your passion further, because than you're truly achieving something.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 07:38 AM