IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New SQ format
Super Quiz
Are you in favor of the New Super Quiz format?
Yes [ 16 ] ** [45.71%]
No [ 19 ] ** [54.29%]
Total Votes: 35
Guests cannot vote 
Guest_KurdishLiberator_*
post Mar 24 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #1

Guests

What is your opinion on the new 10,000 point system. I personally think it ought to be revamped in that Super quiz already adds arbitrary values to scores (one person in the bracket of the team knowing all of them while someone else not knowing any). Super quiz is something we all love but it honestly is way to high stakes. 333.33 points per question is overwhelming to any student competeing next year

This post has been edited by KurdishLiberator: Mar 24 2012, 12:29 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Mar 24 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (KurdishLiberator @ Mar 23 2012, 05:28 PM) *
What is your opinion on the new 10,000 point system. I personally think it ought to be revamped in that Super quiz already adds arbitrary values to scores (one person in the bracket of the team knowing all of them while someone else not knowing any). Super quiz is something we all love but it honestly is way to high stakes. 333.33 points per question is overwhelming to any student competeing next year

I voted yes because I absolutely love the idea. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the point value is too high, but I suspect USAD will drop it down to something more reasonable before it's all said and done. I think dropping it down to 5000 or something (165 points per question is reasonable to me) would be a good compromise and still keep it as an aesthetically pleasing number.

+Quote Post
Guest_KurdishLiberator_*
post Mar 24 2012, 12:50 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 23 2012, 07:38 PM) *
I voted yes because I absolutely love the idea. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the point value is too high, but I suspect USAD will drop it down to something more reasonable before it's all said and done. I think dropping it down to 5000 or something (165 points per question is reasonable to me) would be a good compromise and still keep it as an aesthetically pleasing number.

I like the idea of 6 topics its just the value thats irritating. I cant agree with something being so high stakes. It's scary to think that in high stakes states where teams are 200-400 points away from each other that ONE question should have the weight to decide a state champion

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Mar 24 2012, 12:51 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (KurdishLiberator @ Mar 23 2012, 05:50 PM) *
QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 23 2012, 07:38 PM) *

I like the idea of 6 topics its just the value thats irritating. I cant agree with something being so high stakes. It's scary to think that in high stakes states where teams are 200-400 points away from each other that ONE question should have the weight to decide a state champion

As the spectres of Taft and Moorpark chuckle and say, "Get on our level."

+Quote Post
Guest_KurdishLiberator_*
post Mar 24 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 23 2012, 07:51 PM) *

Realistically, the winners of the relay may not even get the most points from it which is pretty weird 0.o

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Mar 24 2012, 01:59 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (KurdishLiberator @ Mar 23 2012, 06:50 PM) *
QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 23 2012, 07:51 PM) *

Realistically, the winners of the relay may not even get the most points from it which is pretty weird 0.o

Well that's how it is right now. The winners of team SQ often are not the winners of the relay.

+Quote Post
Guest_KurdishLiberator_*
post Mar 24 2012, 02:27 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 23 2012, 08:59 PM) *
Well that's how it is right now. The winners of team SQ often are not the winners of the relay.

Yeah its just that this is different in that its completely relay centered, regardless of any written score

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Mar 24 2012, 02:41 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (KurdishLiberator @ Mar 23 2012, 07:27 PM) *

Yeah its just that this is different in that its completely relay centered, regardless of any written score

Well even if there was no written this could always happen...the format of the relay is not changing. Just the points value. Which should be smaller. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Mar 24 2012, 03:46 AM
Post #9

Guests

It hates a lot on my favorite subject, Math, along with the subjectives.
Restructuring I don't mind, but this is way too big. A few points' difference in relay is a massive game changer.

+Quote Post
Guest_KurdishLiberator_*
post Mar 24 2012, 05:26 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 23 2012, 09:41 PM) *

Well even if there was no written this could always happen...the format of the relay is not changing. Just the points value. Which should be smaller. biggrin.gif

Its the points that scare me 0.o

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Mar 24 2012, 06:36 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (KurdishLiberator @ Mar 23 2012, 10:26 PM) *
QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 23 2012, 09:41 PM) *

Its the points that scare me 0.o

Agreed.

And also, why don't they throw math into the mix? Obviously make them really easy questions that take <5 seconds to solve, but why not?

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Mar 24 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #12

Guests

Because math is only fun when it's brutally evil.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Mar 24 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #13

Guests

I've done simple permutation calculation questions for quiz bowl, and they suck balls. Not very many people would enjoy having to do math in the relay. Even pure mental calculation questions are worse when you're on the clock like that.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Mar 25 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #14

Guests

There's good and bad. I like that it makes the SQ relay showcase more than just one subject, and that it vamps up the importance of continuing to study after the written tests are over. And I also like that it adds a component that's purely "team" without counting for individual scores. But as people have pointed out, it means all 10 subjects no longer have equal weight in the team score, which is not ideal.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Mar 25 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #15

Guests

Something else I noticed that I do like about all this is that it increases the importance of working under pressure.
I think the total SQ award should be replaced with the total non-SQ award with this format change. Sure, it might cheapen the moment when the #1 team is announced if someone is a really fast math, but so can so many other things.

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Mar 25 2012, 01:19 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (Herohito @ Mar 24 2012, 05:21 PM) *
Something else I noticed that I do like about all this is that it increases the importance of working under pressure.
I think the total SQ award should be replaced with the total non-SQ award with this format change. Sure, it might cheapen the moment when the #1 team is announced if someone is a really fast math, but so can so many other things.

I don't know what you mean here. You mean have team trophies for just the normal 10 events, and then a separate one for the 10 events + SQRelay?

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Mar 25 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 24 2012, 06:19 PM) *

I don't know what you mean here. You mean have team trophies for just the normal 10 events, and then a separate one for the 10 events + SQRelay?

Yeah. 10+SQ is overall victory as well.
After all, we get trophies for SQ right now, don't we?

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Mar 25 2012, 01:25 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (Herohito @ Mar 24 2012, 06:22 PM) *
QUOTE (BearMan @ Mar 24 2012, 06:19 PM) *

Yeah. 10+SQ is overall victory as well.
After all, we get trophies for SQ right now, don't we?

Alright I see what you're saying. Yeah I agree with you. Plaques for the top 3 teams awarded immediately after the relay based on just total relay score (out of 45), then at the awards ceremony present top 3 teams for normal 10 Events, and then top 3 teams overall including relay. Then if the top 10 events team and the top 10 events plus relay team are different there will be a huge gasp in the crowd as all of the parents go "wtf just happened???"

I always tease my parents because to this day they still don't understand why there are 3 different Super Quiz awards.

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Mar 26 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #19

Guests

Pfft...I won 4 different Super Quiz medals. WHOOOOOO LAUSD MEDAL INFLATION WHOOOOOOOOO

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Mar 27 2012, 01:26 AM
Post #20

Guests

I voted yes because I like that all six test subjects are being combined. I find the idea terrifying, given the ridiculously high scores, but I'm certainly glad Super Quiz no longer counts toward individual scores. It killed me and glorified my teammates this past year.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th November 2018 - 10:52 PM