IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> History of Modern India...
Guest_Dave C_*
post Mar 25 2015, 02:33 AM
Post #1

Guests

So what does everyone think "modern India" means? I'm trying to decide how to start things now, but it's hard to say where or when to begin without guides or even outlines. Mughal Empire? East India Company? 1857? Independence? I'm hoping someone can make a better educated guess than I can.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Mar 25 2015, 03:04 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

I'm guessing decolonization and beyond

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Mar 25 2015, 05:13 AM
Post #3

Guests

I know in college, when they do modern European and US History, it generally starts around 1880.

+Quote Post
Guest_NathanDrake_*
post Mar 25 2015, 05:16 AM
Post #4

Guests

Hmm...let's see....Intro: early European settlement, British East India company, Sepoy mutiny, life under British Raj. Independence movement: Gandhi, Satyagraha, other resistance leaders. Cold War era: the creation of Pakistan, Nehru, the other two Ghandis, Bangladesh. Post Cold War:...contemporary stuff. That's how I would do it.

This post has been edited by NathanDrake: Mar 25 2015, 05:23 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_NathanDrake_*
post Mar 25 2015, 05:22 AM
Post #5

Guests

I am curious to see how Gandhi will be portrayed. Visionary pacifist? Racist nationalist? Imperfect founding father with a few flaws? There is so much contention now over who Gandhi was and his place in Indian history.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Mar 25 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Mar 24 2015, 09:13 PM) *
I know in college, when they do modern European and US History, it generally starts around 1880.

In the context of European history "early modern" usually starts at the end of the Middle Ages, i.e. 15th century. However, I'd agree that USAD's "modern India" will probably focus on the 20th century, as "modern China" did.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Mar 25 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

I definitely see it as British Raj and beyond- that is what really defines India today (I mean, yes all the Aryan and Hindu stuff applies, but that's so long ago)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 12:02 AM