IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AZ Regionals/State predictions, What does the internets say?
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post Aug 9 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #1

Guests

VarsityBoy is back, ya heard.

What, exactly, does everybody think about this coming year, now that school has actually started?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Aug 9 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Guests

Mountain Pointe will definitely qualify for regionals.

That is all I can offer in terms of predictions right now with any degree of confidence.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Aug 9 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #3

Guests

St. Johns will win Region I. That is one of the safest bets in the country. I think Kingman Academy will take second and Prescott 3rd. KA has been on the rise and seems to be the team that will be the biggest challenger to the perennial power house from the county seat of Navajo County. Prescott was a mere 500 points out of third last year and has more depth than we ever dreamt of and the drive to go big this year. Look for high region scores out of the high country this year. The wild cad in this mix is Scottsdale Christian who barley fielder 4 competitors last year, but had the top Honors without studying the SQ at all.

The most interesting point of conjecture, however, is the varsity division. With the top 3 varsities graduating (Widget! 7,7xx, BadgerCam 6,5xx, Kyle [KA] 6,0xx) and the number 4 (Jenna from KA 59xx?) probably moving up to scholastic the division is wide open.

+Quote Post
Guest_gabrielcunha.7_*
post Aug 9 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (VarsityBoy @ Aug 9 2009, 01:44 PM) *
...now that school has actually started

LOL AZ!
Still got two more weeks.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Aug 9 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ Aug 9 2009, 02:57 PM) *
QUOTE (VarsityBoy @ Aug 9 2009, 01:44 PM) *
...now that school has actually started

LOL AZ!
Still got two more weeks.

My old school starts tomorrow. I get a coupe of more weeks too, though.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Aug 10 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (BadgerCam @ Aug 9 2009, 02:17 PM) *
St. Johns will win Region I. That is one of the safest bets in the country.

Ummmm... unsure.gif I wouldn't be so sure of that one...

To be honest, my money is actually on Kingman Academy. I believe Jenna isn't moving up -- but even if she does, she'll still end up as a scoring member -- and beyond her, they're also returning Hannah (Senior 6,4xx), Megan (Sophomore 5,3xx) and possibly Eddie (I think a senior? 5,6xx).

Whereas St. Johns is returning Anthony (Junior 5,3xx) and Stuart (Senior 5,8xx). I mean, I don't want to sell short Mrs. Burdick's ability to consistently build a damn good team, because we have a couple good prospects, like the two Bryce's (One's a senior and a piano prodigy, will kick ass in Music, the other is the quick-witted younger brother of our H2, Blake.) but...

Well, suffice it to say, if the SJHS dynasty is going to fall, next year would be a great year for it to happen.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Aug 11 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Aug 10 2009, 03:42 PM) *
QUOTE (BadgerCam @ Aug 9 2009, 02:17 PM) *
St. Johns will win Region I. That is one of the safest bets in the country.

Ummmm... unsure.gif I wouldn't be so sure of that one...

To be honest, my money is actually on Kingman Academy. I believe Jenna isn't moving up -- but even if she does, she'll still end up as a scoring member -- and beyond her, they're also returning Hannah (Senior 6,4xx), Megan (Sophomore 5,3xx) and possibly Eddie (I think a senior? 5,6xx).

Whereas St. Johns is returning Anthony (Junior 5,3xx) and Stuart (Senior 5,8xx). I mean, I don't want to sell short Mrs. Burdick's ability to consistently build a damn good team, because we have a couple good prospects, like the two Bryce's (One's a senior and a piano prodigy, will kick ass in Music, the other is the quick-witted younger brother of our H2, Blake.) but...

Well, suffice it to say, if the SJHS dynasty is going to fall, next year would be a great year for it to happen.

Last year you where the only returner. My money is still on you guys. Prescott also only has two returners and one of them is an alternate. I will find out how good the other 35 are tomorrow during my first coaching session.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Aug 11 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #8

Guests

Yeah, but I returned with a then-career-high of 7,711 points. The highest score either of our returners has ever posted was in the 5,800's.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Aug 11 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Aug 10 2009, 05:15 PM) *
Yeah, but I returned with a then-career-high of 7,711 points. The highest score either of our returners has ever posted was in the 5,800's.

Good point.

And waht is your opinion on how Scottsdale Christian stands?

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Aug 11 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (BadgerCam @ Aug 10 2009, 05:21 PM) *

Well, they're returning Andrea Loes's little sister, but other than that, I don't know what they have. Then again, considering they don't have to work against the obvious handicap that Evolutionary Biology throws at them, they could manage to bring in some new talent. I don't think they can top Blue Ridge or Northland Prep, though. I say the best they could do is sixth.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Aug 11 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Aug 10 2009, 06:19 PM) *
QUOTE (BadgerCam @ Aug 10 2009, 05:21 PM) *

Well, they're returning Andrea Loes's little sister, but other than that, I don't know what they have. Then again, considering they don't have to work against the obvious handicap that Evolutionary Biology throws at them, they could manage to bring in some new talent. I don't think they can top Blue Ridge or Northland Prep, though. I say the best they could do is sixth.

If that is your opinion who would be your top 3 or 5. My pick is obviously very biased.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Aug 11 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #12

Guests

I figure top five is going to be Kingman, St. Johns, Northland Prep, Prescott and Blue Ridge.

That's a rough order, and is subject to change.

Reasoning:

Kingman: Mr. Suchowierski is a pretty good coach, and seems to be coming into his stride. Moreover, he's got a fairly decent squad coming back, with a whole hell of a lot of potential in Hannah McBride, my pick for top score in-region, as she's the highest-scoring returner by at least two hundred points.

St. Johns: Mrs. Burdick is, by my estimation, the best coach in Arizona. That may be biased, but sixteen of twenty-three Region I wins would stand testament to her ability to mold a good core of students into a winning team. I'm really worried by the fifteen-hundred-point disparity between me & Chris returning last year, and Stuart & Anthony returning this year; but they've got some promising talent to bolster them, and so even in my apocalyptic views, I can't rightfully peg SJ lower than second.

Northland Prep: I have no idea what Northland Prep is returning, but whatever they bring to the table next year is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Their coach is a former SJ decathlete, and I don't think I need to remind you that Luke Malin, their top Honors from last year scored a total of 4875 in six events. (SQ, Econ, Art, Science, Music, and Lang/Lit; the six events that can be taught with the greatest ease.) Despite only coming in fourth last year, the fact that they came in out of nowhere like that on their coach's first year is impressive, and he's there to stay.

Prescott/Blue Ridge: I'm not sure which team will come in for fourth and which for fifth. Blue Ridge came in third at Region last year, but they were completely abandoned for State by their highest-scorers. Their coaching staff is obviously capable, as has been shown in the past, but their talent pool may be low of late. As for Prescott, there's your two returners, and you on the coaching staff. Having been a successful Varsity, I figure you have a good capacity for drawing in new talent, but as your coach is pretty untested, and has yet to have any showings stronger than fifth place, I can't rightly peg Prescott higher in an estimate.

Scottsdale Christian will probably pull off the sixth-place finish, but beyond that, it's a crapshoot. Round Valley's coach and her strongest possible-returner are on the outs (I can't verify the truth of this claim, but Becca claimed to have been told not to even bother signing up for the class, as she would not be on the team. Regardless, Becca not signing up for the class is a harsh blow to a program on the decline.) Show Low is a dark horse, but I was personally impressed by their showing last year. Snowflake might pull off a third year of being slightly-less-shitty than the previous, but that still wouldn't count for a whole lot.

In other words, beyond the top three, a lot of uncertainty enters this.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Aug 11 2009, 02:04 AM
Post #13

Guests

Seems logical. We are going to be disappointed with anything below 3rd, but I think you might be right. Some top notch competition this year. I can promise you one thing. Even if we don't do great this year, we will be a force to be reckoned with the year after. Being know by your school really helps draw in potential talent.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Aug 13 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (j_ernzen @ Aug 12 2009, 05:01 PM) *
QUOTE (BadgerCam @ Aug 10 2009, 07:04 PM) *
Seems logical. We are going to be disappointed with anything below 3rd, but I think you might be right. Some top notch competition this year. I can promise you one thing. Even if we don't do great this year, we will be a force to be reckoned with the year after. Being know by your school really helps draw in potential talent.

So aside from region 1, anyone have any predictions as to how other regions or state itself may go? I don't really know how many people are returning from other teams, but I think we'll at least be better than last year............ hopefully.

I forget. What team are you from?

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Aug 13 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #15

Guests

So aside from region 1, anyone have any predictions as to how other regions or state itself may go? I don't really know how many people are returning from other teams, but I think we'll at least be better than last year............ hopefully.

Returning two 8800 Honors? I think MVM can at least vie for second. tongue.gif

Nah, uhmmm, being a Region I alumni, and therefore being not-from-any-other-region, yeah, I pretty much don't have anything for any other regions.

However, Jordan from CDO will take first Varsity in state. Humza Salim from Highland will probably take first Scholastic. Adil Soubki has a good chance of making the Scholastic race a close one.

I'm tempted to say CDO is going to win state again. I mean, no offense, John, but your team tends to hurt bad when you have to find a whole new core of Varsities, and CDO is returning (I think) two or three. (Can you help me out here, Mr. Yetman? I know you're returning Jordan. Aren't you also returning Rush, and a Scholastic that was actually a Varsity?)

If CDO wins, though, it will probably be close. I mean, we are talking about (pretty much) the two best programs of the last five to ten years, and you seem to be on fairly equal footing. You've got the two highest-scoring returners in the state, and your coaching staff is legendary, but you've got no Varsities. CDO has Varsities, and promising talent elsewise.

If we thought 2009 was an exciting year, what the hell were we thinking, huh?

+Quote Post
Guest_rickshawman_*
post Aug 14 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (j_ernzen @ Aug 13 2009, 11:35 PM) *
QUOTE (Widget! @ Aug 13 2009, 07:56 AM) *

Returning two 8800 Honors? I think MVM can at least vie for second. :P

Nah, uhmmm, being a Region I alumni, and therefore being not-from-any-other-region, yeah, I pretty much don't have anything for any other regions.

However, Jordan from CDO will take first Varsity in state. Humza Salim from Highland will probably take first Scholastic. Adil Soubki has a good chance of making the Scholastic race a close one.

I'm tempted to say CDO is going to win state again. I mean, no offense, John, but your team tends to hurt bad when you have to find a whole new core of Varsities, and CDO is returning (I think) two or three. (Can you help me out here, Mr. Yetman? I know you're returning Jordan. Aren't you also returning Rush, and a Scholastic that was actually a Varsity?)

If CDO wins, though, it will probably be close. I mean, we are talking about (pretty much) the two best programs of the last five to ten years, and you seem to be on fairly equal footing. You've got the two highest-scoring returners in the state, and your coaching staff is legendary, but you've got no Varsities. CDO has Varsities, and promising talent elsewise.

If we thought 2009 was an exciting year, what the hell were we thinking, huh?

Haha, no offense taken. We know CDO will be tough competition as always but we'll definitely be better prepared this year than we were last time - we'd be hard pressed not to be! Haha, and we actually do have one returning varsity (4 of the 6 at state last year were juniors) although he came in at the semester break so he didn't get a chance to get very far with it before competing. But yeah, we'll definitely still have to work on some of our weak points - but state's a long time away so we'll see how things play out.
So anyone else here from region 4 who hasn't graduated yet? I think a lot of the AZ people were seniors now looking back.....

Everyone on Mountain Pointe's team last year, barring Adil, was a senior D:

Okay actually I'm going to vouch for one of my freshman who just joined the team. Honestly, I don't think he'll be a placing contender (Honors) because of performance and just general unfamiliarity to the program, but he'll be one to watch in the coming years, this kid is brilliant and creepy-crazy dedicated. And like Brendan said, Adil looks like he's gonna bring a good showing to the Scholastic division, so it should be interesting to watch. But I'm rooting for Humza too! How could you not, with facial hair like that .. too awesome.

Yeah, um, dunno how the toss up between MVM and CDO will turn out though, they're both so strong, albeit in different ways. It'll be a good competition though :D

+Quote Post
Guest_nguyener_*
post Aug 15 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #17

Guests

i predict that Jordan Kurker-Mraz will turn the rest of the competition into a feces sandwich

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post Aug 16 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #18

Guests

I appreciate the CDO love on here, but our honors need to be afraid of j_ernzen and co. Very very afraid.

smurf, I need to be afraid of j_ernzen and I compete TWO CATEGORIES BELOW HIM.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Aug 16 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (VarsityBoy @ Aug 16 2009, 11:44 AM) *
I appreciate the CDO love on here, but our honors need to be afraid of j_ernzen and co. Very very afraid.

Hey, some of us have faith in your coach's ability to motivate decathletes.

Don't you also have a younger brother of Juhyung Sun?

+Quote Post
Guest_Mr. Tree_*
post Aug 16 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Aug 16 2009, 08:42 PM) *
QUOTE (VarsityBoy @ Aug 16 2009, 11:44 AM) *

Hey, some of us have faith in your coach's ability to motivate decathletes.

Don't you also have a younger brother of Juhyung Sun?

Two I believe...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2019 - 03:27 PM