Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Round 1/2018
Dan Z
post Dec 3 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #81

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 714,411

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Dec 3 2017, 07:04 PM) *
The large majority of Texas will be this coming weekend. Personally hoping for high 36-low 37, but since I don't think we've seen anyone take this version I'm not sure how hard/easy it is. We've given the kiddos a lot of freedom- we haven't had a real schedule since Thanksgiving so we will see how it goes. We are about to finish the PTB, if anyone else has done it I will post our result. We did it over the course of a week though so the results may vary.

I wish you well at the upcoming week's meet. I noticed the only round 1 scores are from J.J. Pierce, Richardson, L.V. Bernker, and Lake Highlands. Would you happen to know if they travelled out-of-state to take the round 1 test, or has there been meets prior to December that were more than scrimmages? I am too new at this to make any predictions, just know I want the kiddos to perform well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Dec 3 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #82

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Dan Z @ Dec 3 2017, 07:39 PM) *
QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Dec 3 2017, 07:04 PM) *
The large majority of Texas will be this coming weekend. Personally hoping for high 36-low 37, but since I don't think we've seen anyone take this version I'm not sure how hard/easy it is. We've given the kiddos a lot of freedom- we haven't had a real schedule since Thanksgiving so we will see how it goes. We are about to finish the PTB, if anyone else has done it I will post our result. We did it over the course of a week though so the results may vary.

I wish you well at the upcoming week's meet. I noticed the only round 1 scores are from J.J. Pierce, Richardson, L.V. Bernker, and Lake Highlands. Would you happen to know if they travelled out-of-state to take the round 1 test, or has there been meets prior to December that were more than scrimmages? I am too new at this to make any predictions, just know I want the kiddos to perform well.

Most of the state will be this coming weekend on the 9th. Those teams had their district meet very early, and most Texas teams take theirs in December. So you will have a good idea where you guys are after this coming weekend, although most small school teams either don't do these or don't publish their score. Good luck to you too, and thank you smile.gif

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Dec 4 2017, 02:13 AM
Post #83

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Richardson typically had a district scrimmage before Thanksgiving, I guess they moved it up.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 4 2017, 03:00 AM
Post #84

Turtlemaster

Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (Dan Z @ Dec 3 2017, 03:39 PM) *

All four of those are Richardson ISD, who, along with Garland, Klein and Keller ISD's, do theirs in November. As far as I know, they're very much the odd ones out! When does Bandera do theirs? Best of luck! smile.gif

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Dec 3 2017, 10:13 PM) *
Richardson typically had a district scrimmage before Thanksgiving, I guess they moved it up.

Moved up? What do you mean? It looks like their District meet this year was the 14th, so it's still well before Thanksgiving. tongue.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Dec 4 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #85

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

I stand corrected. I must have read into the conversation that they were before December, but were now later in November.

That being the case, then they're still on track with their mid-November round.

Texas state is still the end of January, right?

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Dec 4 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 671,637

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Dec 4 2017, 01:35 PM) *
I stand corrected. I must have read into the conversation that they were before December, but were now later in November.

That being the case, then they're still on track with their mid-November round.

Regionals is at the end of January--State is at the end of February!

--------------------
Nicholas Welch
MRHS Scholastic 2013-2016
E-Nats Scholastic Score Record Holder

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 4 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #87

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Dec 4 2017, 03:40 PM) *

Well, for now, but next year they'll be changing it to Regionals in February and State in March!

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
nixonotis
post Dec 4 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 252,908

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 4 2017, 01:08 PM) *

Well, for now, but next year they'll be changing it to Regionals in February and State in March!

Finally! I think that's a good move. For one, it's nice that they'll have a longer season, and second, it's nice that California/TX/Arizona/etc. will be more of an oranges to oranges comparison when it comes to scores.

--------------------
Nick Synodis
Mountain View Mesa High School

+Quote Post
JakeLHS
post Dec 4 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #89

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 713,395

So, Lubbock High is gearing up for city, we took essay today and I think it went really well. Tomorrow is Lit, Speech, and Interview and the rest is Wednesday. Here are some predictions: top obj score: Nick Watson: 6650; Top total score Selena Sheng (although it could just as easily be Monona Khare) with 9100. Top Scholastic: me with objective 6200-6400; total 8500-9200; probably 8900. Top varsity: Esteban Romero; 6000 obj, and 8800 overall. Team score 35400-37500; probably 36300. Team total probably around 52000.
Keep in mind, I am a known optimist, so it may be safe to subtract 200 points per person except Nick Watson and 1200 for team.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 5 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #90

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (nixonotis @ Dec 4 2017, 05:26 PM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 4 2017, 01:08 PM) *

Finally! I think that's a good move. For one, it's nice that they'll have a longer season, and second, it's nice that California/TX/Arizona/etc. will be more of an oranges to oranges comparison when it comes to scores.

For sure!! I know a lot of people have long felt that California has a big advantage due to the smaller amount of time between their State and Nationals; hopefully this will work to even the gap (in more ways than one) quite a bit.

QUOTE (JakeLHS @ Dec 4 2017, 06:20 PM) *
So, Lubbock High is gearing up for city, we took essay today and I think it went really well. Tomorrow is Lit, Speech, and Interview and the rest is Wednesday. Here are some predictions: top obj score: Nick Watson: 6650; Top total score Selena Sheng (although it could just as easily be Monona Khare) with 9100. Top Scholastic: me with objective 6200-6400; total 8500-9200; probably 8900. Top varsity: Esteban Romero; 6000 obj, and 8800 overall. Team score 35400-37500; probably 36300. Team total probably around 52000.
Keep in mind, I am a known optimist, so it may be safe to subtract 200 points per person except Nick Watson and 1200 for team.

You're expecting 15.7k subs at a district competition? That is the definition of optimism. tongue.gif Don't get me wrong, I definitely think it's plausible for State, given Lubbock's history of being great at subs, but usually -- usually -- local district competitions have deflated/harsher subs. But you certainly know better than I! Whatever happens, best of luck! smile.gif

Teams/competitions to watch out for this week/end:
  • Lubbock ISD schools, which test and finish up on Wednesday;
  • Fort Bend ISD schools, which test and finish up on Saturday; this includes Dulles, Ridge Point, Clements, Elkins & Austin, among others;
  • The CDO invitational, which tests and finishes up on Saturday; this includes some big names in Arizona (like Mountain View Marana, Buena, and, of course, CDO), as well as Highland Park and Rockwall, AND El Camino Real Charter and Granada Hills Charter (now that will be a showdown);
  • The Pearland invitational, which tests on Saturday; not 100% who all will be there, but I'm guessing Pearland, and I think also Friendswood and James E. Taylor/Seven Lakes/Morton Ranch;
  • The Holmes meet, which tests and finishes up on Saturday; will consist of various San Antonio schools, and not sure we'll find out much about it;
  • The Ventura County schools, which tests on Saturday; Ventura County was fun to watch last year, with 2 brand-new teams (La Reina, over 40k, and Calabasas, who won the county with 44k), and should be even more fun to watch this year
  • Frisco ISD schools, who I think are testing this Saturday; I'm obviously always excited to see how they do, and I think there's actually a large change that Lebanon Trail will win handily;
  • The Flower Mound invitational, which tests on Saturday; not sure who all will be there, but I'm hoping most of the teams in the area that don't have their own district meets!

Does anyone know who'll be at Flower Mound? I also know Irving ISD has their own at some point, but I don't know when, and I believe Plano too. What about Little Elm? Coppell? Wylie East? Keller (who didn't go to their district meet)? Whatever the case, I can't wait!!

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
nil
post Dec 5 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 5 2017, 11:57 AM) *
Does anyone know who'll be at Flower Mound? I also know Irving ISD has their own at some point, but I don't know when

The Irving ISD meet was last Thursday, but we used Demidec tests rather than Round 1. We will be taking R1 at Holmes.

The teams that will be at Holmes:
1. Brennan
2. Vela
3. Brandeis
4. Nimitz
5. Harlingen
6. Warren
7. Jay
8. Southwest
9. Marshall
10. Holmes
11. Clark
12. Klein
13. La Porte

This post has been edited by nil: Dec 5 2017, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
Pmhs Coach2
post Dec 5 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 697,063

Pasadena Round 1

10 event scores:
Dobie HS 43002
Pasadena Memorial HS 41047.6
South Houston HS: 28053.5
Pasadena HS: 25137.9
Sam Rayburn HS: 21424.3

As for Pasadena Memorial, our 7 event scores are as follows
Total Score: 26457.1

Honors 1: 5260
Honors 2: 4334.4
Honors 3: 4357.1

Scholastic 1: 4225.7
Scholastic 2: 4254.3
Scholastic 3: 3942.9 (I expect this one to come up a LOT next round)

Varsity 1: 4465.7
Varsity 2: 3865.7
Varsity 3: 3894.3

The exciting part is that all but one (our V1) are sophomores and juniors so we've got a lot of room to improve. I'm really excited to see where this squad goes and what they'll be able to do next year.

+Quote Post
LAB
post Dec 5 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #93

Bevillathlon

Member No.: 687,553

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 5 2017, 11:57 AM) *
Does anyone know who'll be at Flower Mound? I also know Irving ISD has their own at some point, but I don't know when, and I believe Plano too. What about Little Elm? Coppell? Wylie East? Keller (who didn't go to their district meet)? Whatever the case, I can't wait!!

Keller is doing a Round 1 scrimmage of their own this weekend. I think they have 10 schools showing up but I am not 100% certain of the final tally.

These were the schools I saw in the most recent email:

Keller
Manvel
Irving
Liberty
Little Elm
Fossil Ridge
South Grand Prairie
Plano East
Seagoville
Heath

This post has been edited by LAB: Dec 5 2017, 09:10 PM

--------------------
Lucas Beville
Rockwall, TX

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 5 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #94

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (nil @ Dec 5 2017, 04:24 PM) *
The Irving ISD meet was last Thursday, but we used Demidec tests rather than Round 1. We will be taking R1 at Holmes.

The teams that will be at Holmes:
1. Brennan
2. Vela
3. Brandeis
4. Nimitz
5. Harlingen
6. Warren
7. Jay
8. Southwest
9. Marshall
10. Holmes
11. Clark
12. Klein
13. La Porte

Oh, that's awesome! Exciting that Nimitz is travelling down for that! biggrin.gif Did Klein not already take Round 1? (I know Klein ISD did, and that Klein Collins placed second; does that mean Klein Forest or Klein Oak beat them?)

QUOTE (Pmhs Coach2 @ Dec 5 2017, 04:31 PM) *
As for Pasadena Memorial, our 7 event scores are as follows
Total Score: 26457.1

The exciting part is that all but one (our V1) are sophomores and juniors so we've got a lot of room to improve. I'm really excited to see where this squad goes and what they'll be able to do next year.

It's been great watching PMHS's Decathlon program grow over the past couple of years; congrats! smile.gif Definitely very exciting that most of the team will be returning too!

QUOTE (LAB @ Dec 5 2017, 05:07 PM) *
Keller is doing a Round 1 scrimmage of their own this weekend. I think they have 10 schools showing up but I am not 100% certain of the final tally.

These were the schools I saw in the most recent email:

Keller
Manvel
Irving
Liberty
Little Elm
Fossil Ridge
South Grand Prairie
Plano East
Seagoville
Heath

I thought the Keller meet was using USAD Hard? That's what it says on the info sheet on the TAD site! Fossil Ridge definitely already took R1, and I think Seagoville too (I think all Dallas ISD schools have to to qualify for Regionals, and theirs already happened)...

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
JakeLHS
post Dec 6 2017, 01:54 AM
Post #95

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 713,395

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 5 2017, 06:57 PM) *
You're expecting 15.7k subs at a district competition? That is the definition of optimism. tongue.gif Don't get me wrong, I definitely think it's plausible for State, given Lubbock's history of being great at subs, but usually -- usually -- local district competitions have deflated/harsher subs. But you certainly know better than I! Whatever happens, best of luck! smile.gif

It may be a bit optimistic, but I think we'll score close to that. Our speech and interview judges are much harder than our regionals ones, but they're easier on essay, which is our biggest problem. Also, I think essay went really well, and our team may be even better at speech and interview than last year. I do forget though, that many of our best at speech and interview aren't likely to be acorers overall, so that 15.7k is probably more likely a 15.5k or .6k.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 6 2017, 06:02 AM
Post #96

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (JakeLHS @ Dec 5 2017, 09:54 PM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 5 2017, 06:57 PM) *

It may be a bit optimistic, but I think we'll score close to that. Our speech and interview judges are much harder than our regionals ones, but they're easier on essay, which is our biggest problem. Also, I think essay went really well, and our team may be even better at speech and interview than last year. I do forget though, that many of our best at speech and interview aren't likely to be acorers overall, so that 15.7k is probably more likely a 15.5k or .6k.

I'd say 15.7k is way more likely than .6k -- six counters averaging 100 total on subs?! D:

In all seriousness though, you'd be surprised at how hard scoring can stack up! 850s instead of 950s across the board in Speech and Interview gets you 1200 points lower. But averaging 850 instead of 650 in Essay would counteract that. Whatever the case, it only matters in comparison to the competition actually at your meet anyway, so don't sweat it too much. G'luck!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
LAB
post Dec 7 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #97

Bevillathlon

Member No.: 687,553

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 5 2017, 04:17 PM) *
I thought the Keller meet was using USAD Hard? That's what it says on the info sheet on the TAD site! Fossil Ridge definitely already took R1, and I think Seagoville too (I think all Dallas ISD schools have to to qualify for Regionals, and theirs already happened)...

I got an email over Thanksgiving from their coach with that information. My guess is that some schools are only attending to do subjectives. But I really don't know though and I am gonna guess that your information is more accurate than mine because you are usually in the know with all things ACDEC haha.

--------------------
Lucas Beville
Rockwall, TX

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 7 2017, 02:14 AM
Post #98

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (LAB @ Dec 6 2017, 08:37 PM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 5 2017, 04:17 PM) *

I got an email over Thanksgiving from their coach with that information. My guess is that some schools are only attending to do subjectives. But I really don't know though and I am gonna guess that your information is more accurate than mine because you are usually in the know with all things ACDEC haha.

Not true! I get my information from people like you, so I know nothing more than what the original signup said and what you say their latest email said. tongue.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Dec 7 2017, 03:42 AM
Post #99

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

Unfortunately, Granada Hills had to drop out of our scrimmage at the last moment, due to the fires in the LA area. Apparently, some of the kids' families have been evacuated. sad.gif

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 7 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #100

Turtlemaster

Oh god, that's awful. :/ Best wishes to everyone in the area.

This year has been utterly insane in terms of natural disasters, and the sad thing is it's only gonna get worse from here on out. Stay safe, everyone.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 08:17 AM