> Round 1/2018
SamKeal
post Nov 10 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Chocolate Brownies
Member No.: 690,329

Hey all,

Believe it or not, Round One is now upon us!! LAUSD took it last week, and Wisconsin will have their first online Round One (with 7 tests!) on Tuesday. When do you take it? What are your hopes/goals/aspirations? How are things continuing to shape up?

Post your thoughts and musings here. The ADSIC page can be found here.

--------------------
Sam Keal
Sun Prairie High School 2014-2017
Scholastic 2014
Honors 2015-2017
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JakeLHS
post Nov 10 2017, 03:44 AM
Post #2

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 713,395

QUOTE (SamKeal @ Nov 10 2017, 01:52 AM) *
LAUSD took it last week

When will we see LAUSD's results?

+Quote Post
Dave C
post Nov 10 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 233,229

Nebraska round 1 started last week. The eastern half of the state took art, lit, and math last Saturday, and I think it's happening out west this weekend. We will do music, econ, and science on Dec 2. For my team, lit scores were pretty good, but art scores were down a bit. We had the only two perfect math scores at the scrimmage...and yes, Nebraska is taking the full 35 question math test this year, not one shortened to 25 questions. I'm happy with how things are starting this year.

+Quote Post
Hakiobo
post Nov 10 2017, 05:14 AM
Post #4

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 713,161

I'm pretty pumped for Round 1 next Tuesday here in Wisconsin. I'm happy that we're finally taking separate science and social science tests for Round 1 this year!
My ideal score for Round 1 would be above 6000, but I don't think I've studied enough to get to that yet. I'll be content with any score above my objectives scores at State last year: 5382.9.

I'm especially excited to see how well everyone else on my team does. I think we have a lot of potential on all 3 levels, though I'll have a much better grasp on where we all are after we get our scores back. (and compare them to other scores)

--------------------
Jacob Huebner
Rufus King International School
Scholastic Decathlete 2016-17 2017-18
Top Wisconsin State Scholastic 2017

+Quote Post
SamKeal
post Nov 10 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JakeLHS @ Nov 9 2017, 09:44 PM) *
QUOTE (SamKeal @ Nov 10 2017, 01:52 AM) *
LAUSD took it last week

Not sure. It took a little time for them to come out last year, so that might be the case this year as well.

--------------------
Sam Keal
Scholastic 2014
Honors 2015-2017

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Nov 10 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

The only thing the LA scores are good for is to know how hard the tests are this year.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 10 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #7

Turtlemaster

Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (Hakiobo @ Nov 10 2017, 01:14 AM) *
I'm pretty pumped for Round 1 next Tuesday here in Wisconsin. I'm happy that we're finally taking separate science and social science tests for Round 1 this year!
My ideal score for Round 1 would be above 6000, but I don't think I've studied enough to get to that yet. I'll be content with any score above my objectives scores at State last year: 5382.9.

I'm especially excited to see how well everyone else on my team does. I think we have a lot of potential on all 3 levels, though I'll have a much better grasp on where we all are after we get our scores back. (and compare them to other scores)

Ayyyyy, separate Sci and Social Sci, at long last!! xD That's awesome! Super excited to see what comes out of Wisconsin this year. (Also, it took me way too long to realize that Rufus King =\= Richard King, the namesake of the high school in Corpus Christi... I'd thought they were named after the same person!!)

QUOTE (SamKeal @ Nov 10 2017, 02:26 PM) *
QUOTE (JakeLHS @ Nov 9 2017, 09:44 PM) *

Not sure. It took a little time for them to come out last year, so that might be the case this year as well.

Now that Abuelo's retired and there's a new LAUSD Coordinator, it's very possible that we won't ever get them. :/

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Nov 10 2017, 02:44 PM) *
The only thing the LA scores are good for is to know how hard the tests are this year.

There's more teams that just the Big 4, you know. tongue.gif How wil Garfield do this year? Grant? Will Harbor Teacher Prep make it to State again? Will Palisades keep improving? Random students from other schools made it into the Top 10?

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Alex Ballard
post Nov 11 2017, 04:15 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 680,812

Orange County is having their Round 1 scrimmage on November 18th (next Saturday). There should be ~30 teams there, so I will post any results that I have then!

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 12 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #9

Turtlemaster

Some of the scores from LA County from yesterday have come in (thanks to the person who posted the link on ADSIC!). Mark Keppel is having an awesome year with 34k: https://acadecscores.gilslotd.com/wiki/Round_1/2018

Anyone know anything about the Monrovia meet?

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Nov 12 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 284

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 12 2017, 11:24 AM) *
Some of the scores from LA County from yesterday have come in (thanks to the person who posted the link on ADSIC!). Mark Keppel is having an awesome year with 34k: https://acadecscores.gilslotd.com/wiki/Round_1/2018

Anyone know anything about the Monrovia meet?

Come on LAUSD, post your scores. Your biggest competition is in your own district and they already know your score so just show the rest of us how we don't have a chance.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 13 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #11

Turtlemaster

Things I have gleaned from Twitter:

1) Garland ISD took their R1 this past weekend: Rowlett first and Lakeview Centennial second.

2) Keller ISD had their R1, albeit seemingly without Keller HS, and Fossil Ridge came in first.

Anyone have any more information?

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
LAB
post Nov 13 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Bevillathlon

Member No.: 687,553

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 13 2017, 07:25 AM) *
2) Keller ISD had their R1, albeit seemingly without Keller HS, and Fossil Ridge came in first.

Anyone have any more information?

Keller HS is hosting their own 10 event scrimmage sometime in December and are using Round 1 tests at that meet.

--------------------
Lucas Beville
Rockwall, TX

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 13 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #13

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (LAB @ Nov 13 2017, 11:54 AM) *
Keller HS is hosting their own 10 event scrimmage sometime in December and are using Round 1 tests at that meet.

Oh, I thought it was USAD Hard?? Did they change it?

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
LAB
post Nov 13 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #14

Bevillathlon

Member No.: 687,553

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 13 2017, 01:19 PM) *
QUOTE (LAB @ Nov 13 2017, 11:54 AM) *

Oh, I thought it was USAD Hard?? Did they change it?

They did. I think it was originally going to be hard but the email I received this morning said Round 1. It looks like it may be a pretty large meet but I am not sure. Rockwall won't be at Keller because we are headed out to the land of Arizona.

--------------------
Lucas Beville
Rockwall, TX

+Quote Post
Hakiobo
post Nov 15 2017, 04:01 AM
Post #15

Wisconsin took it's Round 1 tests today, and I've been informed that we'll have our scores by at least next week Tuesday, though we'll probably get them around Friday.

Overall, I think the tests went as I expected, so I think my score will be around 5700, which would be an improvement from my objectives score at state last year.
Here are my thoughts on each test, but since I can't say anything about content, I'll merely rank them by difficulty, from 1 easiest to 7 hardest

1: Math (I think it's possible I got 35/35. Maybe. Possibly. Potentially. Hopefully)
2: Literature (It probably helps that I read most of this resource guide the day before the test, I think this score should be 900-980)
3: Economics (Honestly, I felt about equally as good about these 3, and I'm guessing a score around 820-880)
4: Science
5: Social Science
6: Art (Worst recall of subjects I've studied; score should be somewhere from 780-820)
7: Music (only read section I/part of section II, so that really limits how well I'd do. Somewhere from 400-600 depending on guessing skill/luck)

Of course, I could have completely misjudged how well I did, but I think the estimates are good.

I guess these scores won't matter too much, since I'm gonna study more and try to improve all the scores anyway, but it'll be really nice to know exactly where I stand compared to everyone.

This post has been edited by Hakiobo: Nov 15 2017, 05:54 AM

--------------------
Jacob Huebner

+Quote Post
Alex Ballard
post Nov 15 2017, 04:10 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 680,812

QUOTE (Hakiobo @ Nov 14 2017, 08:01 PM) *
Wisconsin took it's Round 1 tests today, and I've been informed that we'll have our scores by at least next week Tuesday, though we'll probably get them around Friday.

Overall, I think the tests went as I expected, so I think my score will be around 5700, which would be an improvement from my objectives score at state last year.
Here are my thoughts on each test, but since I can't say anything about content, I'll merely rank them by difficulty, from 1 easiest to 7 hardest

1: Math (I think it's possible I got 35/35. Maybe. Possibly. Potentially. Hopefully)
2: Literature (It probably helps that I read most of this resource guide the day before the test, I think this score should be 900-980)
3: Economics (Honestly, I felt about equally as good about these 3, and I'm guessing a score around 820-880)
6: Art (Worst recall of subjects I've studied; score should be somewhere from 780-820)
7: Music (only read section I/part of section II, so that really limits how well I'd do. Somewhere from 400-600 depending on guessing skill/luck)

Of course, I could have completely misjudged how well I did, but I think the estimate are good.

I guess these scores won't matter too much, since I'm gonna study more and try to improve all the scores anyway, but it'll be really nice to know exactly where I stand compared to everyone.

So all the tests were fairly easy/fair in terms of difficulty?

+Quote Post
Hakiobo
post Nov 15 2017, 05:23 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (Alex Ballard @ Nov 14 2017, 10:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Hakiobo @ Nov 14 2017, 08:01 PM) *

Of course, I could have completely misjudged how well I did, but I think the estimate are good.

So all the tests were fairly easy/fair in terms of difficulty?

I guess they were. I definitely knew where nearly all the questions came from, though I had barely read music. Hence, it was the exception. There was one Literature question I felt had multiple correct responses based on how the question is interpreted though, but that might just be a 'me' issue.
Had I known every subject backwards and forwards (which I don't), I would've been able to score high 900's on every test.

On Math, I felt it might have been a bit too easy, but I expect those tests to get harder as the season goes along. Last year's state math test was much more difficult than the Round 1 test.

--------------------
Jacob Huebner

+Quote Post
SamKeal
post Nov 15 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Before results come out sometime in the next week, I just want to get my predictions in for Wisconsin Round 1. Early season predictions are tough, so a lot of this will probably be wrong, but oh well. This will be the first year that Wisconsin will be taking all 7 tests, so we no longer have to extrapolate 6-event scores into 7-event scores! It is also the first year that Wisconsin will be taking R1 online.

Overall Team:
1. Wilmot Union – 27k
2. Waukesha West – 25k
3. New Berlin Eisenhower – 24k
4. New Berlin West – 23.5k
5. Watertown – 23k
6. Rufus King – 22k
7. Sun Prairie – 20k
Other teams that could break 20k are New Richmond, Pewaukee, Bay Port, and perhaps Melrose-Mindoro.

--------------------
Sam Keal
Scholastic 2014
Honors 2015-2017

+Quote Post
Hakiobo
post Nov 15 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (SamKeal @ Nov 15 2017, 12:19 PM) *
Before results come out sometime in the next week, I just want to get my predictions in for Wisconsin Round 1. Early season predictions are tough, so a lot of this will probably be wrong, but oh well. This will be the first year that Wisconsin will be taking all 7 tests, so we no longer have to extrapolate 6-event scores into 7-event scores! It is also the first year that Wisconsin will be taking R1 online.

Overall Team:
1. Wilmot Union – 27k
2. Waukesha West – 25k
5. Watertown – 23k
6. Rufus King – 22k
7. Sun Prairie – 20k
Other teams that could break 20k are New Richmond, Pewaukee, Bay Port, and perhaps Melrose-Mindoro.

I'm not going to hazard guessing for all the top teams in Wisconsin, but I think you might be undershooting Rufus King by a few thousand, so I'll my provide predictions about my team (though, based on who scores the highest in each division, not on who we played as normal/alternate)

H1: 5000
H2: 4000
S1: 5700
S2: 4000
V1: 4000
V2: 3500

T: 26.2K

At this point, I really hope I haven't completely misjudged how the rest of my team does, or myself for that matter.

Maybe I should add uncertainty bars.

This post has been edited by Hakiobo: Nov 16 2017, 02:52 AM

--------------------
Jacob Huebner

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 16 2017, 03:41 AM
Post #20

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (SamKeal @ Nov 15 2017, 02:19 PM) *

Overall Team:
1. Wilmot Union – 27k
2. Waukesha West – 25k
5. Watertown – 23k
6. Rufus King – 22k
7. Sun Prairie – 20k

Ooooh. I know way too little pre-season gossip about these teams, but that seems about right... except for Rufus King, of course. I'd move them up a lot. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Hakiobo @ Nov 15 2017, 02:49 PM) *
At this point, I really hope I haven't completely misjudged how the rest of my team does, or myself for that matter.

Maybe I should add uncertainty bars.

Apparently results come out in the morning? Crossing my fingers for y'all! biggrin.gif

-----

Apparently Richardson ISD has now taken their R1. Pearce is at 30,528.5, and Richardson 27,814.3 -- each a bit over 2k gain from USAD Medium on Saturday. Sophie Cope top scorer with 6,414.3. I think this is about the best indicator we'll get of relative test difficulty! See more here. (And thanks to whoever added those scores to the pensieve. smile.gif)

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 06:04 AM