+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Dec 20 2017, 03:25 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

Seems impossible to tell topic based on this. The ww2 year was so easy sad.gif

I ask this every year but has anyone done the conceptual and automatic quiz stuff? Demidec has been great but they are definitely written by kids
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Dec 20 2017, 05:53 AM
Post #3

Guests

It's obvious the theme is the color green.

+Quote Post
Guest_Scholastic Underdog_*
post Dec 20 2017, 06:15 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Dec 19 2017, 09:25 PM) *

I ask this every year but has anyone done the conceptual and automatic quiz stuff? Demidec has been great but they are definitely written by kids

Are you referring to the materials available on usad.enlyght.com?

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoinths_*
post Dec 20 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #5

Guests

About to start today's finals so I'm too lazy to answer this for myself and was hoping someone could research it more quickly... Are the prices the same for materials or are there any changes worth noting?

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 20 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #6

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Dec 19 2017, 11:25 PM) *

The same pages on the 2018 order form are that exact same design/color (pure green). Looks like no playful hinting this time around. D:

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Dec 20 2017, 09:29 AM) *
About to start today's finals so I'm too lazy to answer this for myself and was hoping someone could research it more quickly... Are the prices the same for materials or are there any changes worth noting?

The digital curriculum package is still $700. Literally everything else has gone up in price. :/

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Dec 20 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Dec 20 2017, 12:53 AM) *
It's obvious the theme is the color green.

No. This is the year of Delaware and Podiatry. I feel it and I'm going to look up the odds for it on offshore betting sites.

Hmmm...

No wagering on USAD topics, but I did drop a fiver on Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle of The Philippines becoming the next pope after Francis I.

Also noticed same shop was giving same odds for Bono and Father Dougal Maguire, 500-1... I lol'd...

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Dec 20 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I guess I am but more of referring to the PDF I guess but yea. Glad yo see USAD learned from video game companies- keep the base thing the same but everything else costs more.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Dec 20 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Watch out for all the DLC expansions!

+Quote Post
Guest_nixonotis_*
post Dec 20 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Dec 20 2017, 12:03 PM) *

Coming soon: Loot Boxes! $10 per box, and you have a 1/1000 chance of getting one of the Round 2 test questions ahead of time!

*cries*

+Quote Post
Guest_fyzics_*
post Dec 21 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #11

Guests

This thread just made my day laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Peter Cao_*
post Dec 23 2017, 05:21 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (nixonotis @ Dec 20 2017, 11:42 AM) *
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Dec 20 2017, 12:03 PM) *

Coming soon: Loot Boxes! $10 per box, and you have a 1/1000 chance of getting one of the Round 2 test questions ahead of time!

*cries*

Of course, it's not a problem if you do some hard-core grinding!

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Dec 23 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

They'll also have content flavor packs that you can install on your decathletes to give them distinctive period costumes.

+Quote Post
Guest_txthomas_*
post Jan 21 2018, 04:20 AM
Post #14

Guests

I would love it if USAD picked The Civil Rights Movement as a topic. With the Black Lives Matter trend, it would be a relevant historical topic. I'm not sure what the science topic would be, but the SS, art, music, and literature would be great!

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Jan 21 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

We were thinking about "60s in America" which would be super cool- Civil Rights, Vietnam, Kennedy, Space Race (could recycle a science again), Cold War, pop art, brutalism, tons of great music (licenses may be hard).

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 22 2018, 05:26 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

The topic will be...

THE FORGOTTEN PRESIDENCY: The US Executive Branch 1876-1898

It'll be just questions on who the presidents and vice-presidents were during that time. No packet, all independent study. Consequently, it will have the lowest Social Science scores in YEARS.

"Sorry, coach, I just totally blanked on all of them and just guessed B. I have no idea who was president in 1891."

+Quote Post
madcap
post Jan 23 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Dec 23 2017, 06:17 PM) *
They'll also have content flavor packs that you can install on your decathletes to give them distinctive period costumes.

Burbank in California is ahead of us! They all wore Darth Vader costumes in 2012 for the Age of Empire theme; they were pilots for the 2014 WWI theme, and what were some of their other recent costumes?

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 24 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Next year's topic will be...

ACADEMIC DECATHLON

That's right! The competition *is* the topic! The packets will focus, thusly:

ECONOMICS: Special focus on printing costs and getting budget for competitions.

MUSIC: "The Songs of Decathlon", featuring the worst songs of each year that the decathletes have loved to hate. There will also be a special John Cage-inspired composition, "ABCDE", which will be a piano played by a Varsity guessing answers to the objective tests from 2008. Lots of C in that one, but there will be enough variety to keep it random.

ART: Emphasis on photography, particularly group photography. Works studied will be a survey of Academic Decathlon team photos from 1984 to the present. Both standard as well as "wacky" photos will be included.

LANG and LIT: The novel will be "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," which is pretty much guaranteed to be something everyone has read, but we're sure there's at least one varsity per team that hasn't read it and, in fact, will not read it. Or even see the movie. Because varsities.

MATH: Same old math, nothing more to see here, move along. Well, there will be a look at using probability in making multiple-choice exams and the distribution of "C" as a correct answer through the history of the multiple-choice test.

SCIENCE: Aerodynamics. As in paper airplanes and "other creative missiles". Independent study will involve finding out about some of the more legendary AcDec airborne antics.

SOCIAL SCIENCE: Academic Decathlon. That's right, the whole competition, from then until now. Know the teams, know the scores, know the coaches, know the topics. Read this packet, and you'll be ready to kick back with the coaches and complain about the terrible subjective judging back in 2007.

ESSAY: In a twist, Decathletes will be presented with essays from past competitors and have to grade *them*. Let's see how accurately they can score 10 essays, ranging in quality from an Honors magnum opus all the way down to the semi-literate ramblings of a Varsity apologizing why he didn't read anything at all this year but please don't tell his coach, he doesn't want to make her mad. Until after she sees the scores...

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoinths_*
post Jan 24 2018, 11:52 PM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Jan 24 2018, 09:07 AM) *

ACADEMIC DECATHLON

MUSIC: "The Songs of Decathlon", featuring the worst songs of each year that the decathletes have loved to hate. There will also be a special John Cage-inspired composition, "ABCDE", which will be a piano played by a Varsity guessing answers to the objective tests from 2008. Lots of C in that one, but there will be enough variety to keep it random.

ART: Emphasis on photography, particularly group photography. Works studied will be a survey of Academic Decathlon team photos from 1984 to the present. Both standard as well as "wacky" photos will be included.

LANG and LIT: The novel will be "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," which is pretty much guaranteed to be something everyone has read, but we're sure there's at least one varsity per team that hasn't read it and, in fact, will not read it. Or even see the movie. Because varsities.

MATH: Same old math, nothing more to see here, move along. Well, there will be a look at using probability in making multiple-choice exams and the distribution of "C" as a correct answer through the history of the multiple-choice test.

SCIENCE: Aerodynamics. As in paper airplanes and "other creative missiles". Independent study will involve finding out about some of the more legendary AcDec airborne antics.

SOCIAL SCIENCE: Academic Decathlon. That's right, the whole competition, from then until now. Know the teams, know the scores, know the coaches, know the topics. Read this packet, and you'll be ready to kick back with the coaches and complain about the terrible subjective judging back in 2007.

ESSAY: In a twist, Decathletes will be presented with essays from past competitors and have to grade *them*. Let's see how accurately they can score 10 essays, ranging in quality from an Honors magnum opus all the way down to the semi-literate ramblings of a Varsity apologizing why he didn't read anything at all this year but please don't tell his coach, he doesn't want to make her mad. Until after she sees the scores...

While I love these suggestions, unfortunately I feel a more likely topic choice is Asia. My hope, though, is we leave geography for a year and go to either a more general theme. Like Andrew, the 60s is something I've hoped for in recent years and this would be the last year to allow students to study a decade which will soon be more than a half-century ago. Another theme along those lines would be women's rights which in the current social climate would be an appropriate choice. And if we're looking for an historical time period that I don't believe has been picked in the past, I would enjoy seeing either the American Revolution or Cold War.

+Quote Post
Guest_Peter Cao_*
post Jan 25 2018, 02:39 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Jan 24 2018, 03:52 PM) *
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Jan 24 2018, 09:07 AM) *

ACADEMIC DECATHLON

While I love these suggestions, unfortunately I feel a more likely topic choice is Asia. My hope, though, is we leave geography for a year and go to either a more general theme. Like Andrew, the 60s is something I've hoped for in recent years and this would be the last year to allow students to study a decade which will soon be more than a half-century ago. Another theme along those lines would be women's rights which in the current social climate would be an appropriate choice. And if we're looking for an historical time period that I don't believe has been picked in the past, I would enjoy seeing either the American Revolution or Cold War.

They do usually leave the geography for a year in a two year cycle. The topics usually alternate between countries/geography and history.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2018 - 06:29 PM