3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017 Topic- WORLD WAR 2
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Mar 2 2016, 12:18 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (Jr. @ Mar 1 2016, 03:02 PM) *
I figured they'd use WW2 as a topic eventually by didn't think this soon tongue.gif the few remaining 2013-14 competitions would be delighted! Overall looks like a better, more cohesive topic than previous years

TFW your 8k freshman finally becomes a senior. I'm excited that for once we will have a math that we somewhat know going into the competition. Considering we work from 200s to 700s in math, it will be nice to start at 500s.

This post has been edited by Allan21996: Mar 2 2016, 12:25 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Oishik_*
post Mar 16 2016, 05:51 AM
Post #22

Guests

I feel like scores are going to drop substantially sad.gif . I remember WW1 my freshman, that was a tough year in terms of the length of the material. Though I do look forward to the military history! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_NathanDrake_*
post Mar 16 2016, 10:30 AM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (Oishik @ Mar 15 2016, 09:51 PM) *
I feel like scores are going to drop substantially sad.gif . I remember WW1 my freshman, that was a tough year in terms of the length of the material. Though I do look forward to the military history! smile.gif

You thought WWI was long? The year right before that (Russia) we had 150 pages of space exploration and 500 pages of Dcotor Zhivago. Everything else was at least one hundred pages.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oishik_*
post Mar 16 2016, 04:20 PM
Post #24

Guests

Haha true true but that was from an era I never faced wink.gif namely the year right before I became a freshman

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Mar 25 2016, 01:29 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

Had our interest meeting today and I think it went incredibly well. After going over the technical aspects, I had the returners and seniors dispel many of the myths around decathlon and explain the most important things to do well. Looks like we'll be upping our numbers to about 30-35 this year, and we have 10 varsities signed up at least with all but one juniors as well as having at least 5 honors, which is up from this year which was about 3. I think the growing pains we had the last two years are going to be gone with this group.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oishik_*
post Mar 28 2016, 12:56 AM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Mar 25 2016, 02:29 AM) *
Had our interest meeting today and I think it went incredibly well. After going over the technical aspects, I had the returners and seniors dispel many of the myths around decathlon and explain the most important things to do well. Looks like we'll be upping our numbers to about 30-35 this year, and we have 10 varsities signed up at least with all but one juniors as well as having at least 5 honors, which is up from this year which was about 3. I think the growing pains we had the last two years are going to be gone with this group.

How many returners do you have by the way? And the growing organization sounds nice! I talked with the principal at your school right before Super Quiz at Regionals, and he asked me, as an outsider how I thought your school was doing, and I said that you guys were doing great! He looked kind of skeptical, and he talked about how you got your class for the first year, and I was so surprised! Either way, your team taking first probably erased his doubts smile.gif

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Mar 28 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Oishik @ Mar 28 2016, 12:56 AM) *
QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Mar 25 2016, 02:29 AM) *

How many returners do you have by the way? And the growing organization sounds nice! I talked with the principal at your school right before Super Quiz at Regionals, and he asked me, as an outsider how I thought your school was doing, and I said that you guys were doing great! He looked kind of skeptical, and he talked about how you got your class for the first year, and I was so surprised! Either way, your team taking first probably erased his doubts smile.gif

We have four- one honors (8.2k), two scholastics (7.9k, 7.2k varsity moving up), one varsity (7k). It was our first year with both semesters- we've had the class for a while but only the first semester. It seems like it did, I'm just hoping to get in the class myself since I haven't had an off period the last two years. We have over 20 juniors right now so that's very exciting. We have about 12 seniors or so and all of them are returning from last year. I think we will be a more balanced team next year- let's just hope that balance is at a high score level smile.gif the honors category is yours for the taking Oishik.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oishik_*
post Apr 1 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #28

Guests

[/quote]

We have four- one honors (8.2k), two scholastics (7.9k, 7.2k varsity moving up), one varsity (7k). It was our first year with both semesters- we've had the class for a while but only the first semester. It seems like it did, I'm just hoping to get in the class myself since I haven't had an off period the last two years. We have over 20 juniors right now so that's very exciting. We have about 12 seniors or so and all of them are returning from last year. I think we will be a more balanced team next year- let's just hope that balance is at a high score level smile.gif the honors category is yours for the taking Oishik.
[/quote]

Haha, that sounds like strong competition! And honestly that level of growth is amazing. The honors division from what I'm seeing looks really filled next year though smile.gif I was looking at stats and a disproportionate amount of people at the top of honors were sophomores. Additionally, I was looking at the math from my freshman year as that is what they are going to use next year, and it looks much more dense than the past two years of math we've had; do you know for sure whether they are basically just going to use the same math packet? Or are they going to make major changes?

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Apr 1 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #29

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Oishik @ Apr 1 2016, 03:16 PM) *
I was looking at the math from my freshman year as that is what they are going to use next year, and it looks much more dense than the past two years of math we've had; do you know for sure whether they are basically just going to use the same math packet? Or are they going to make major changes?

If it's the same as it's been the past couple of years, it will literally be the exact same packet, just with different style/formatting.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Apr 1 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #30

Guests

Has anyone read the book? Is it good? Is it challenging? Do we have book suited for academic decathlon this year? Nectar in a Sieve was decent, but it was probably better suited for pentathlon. PATC and Heart of Darkness may not have been loved but they were more challenging.

+Quote Post
Guest_Scholastic Underdog_*
post Apr 1 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #31

Guests

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Apr 1 2016, 03:23 PM) *
Has anyone read the book? Is it good? Is it challenging? Do we have book suited for academic decathlon this year? Nectar in a Sieve was decent, but it was probably better suited for pentathlon. PATC and Heart of Darkness may not have been loved but they were more challenging.

It's good smile.gif It's an allegorical novel like HoD, but it's written more as a "normal" plot-driven book. I like it

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Apr 6 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #32

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

WW2 was the topic back in 1985-86. About time they got back to it.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post May 1 2016, 01:49 PM
Post #33

Guests

Well, it's May 1 and I can't help but notice that the subject outlines aren't posted yet. I'm hoping that they will go up about 30 seconds after I complain here...it might make me look stupid, but at least then we will have the outlines.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post May 1 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The outlines are up. The page still says 2015-16, but the links take you to WW2 info.

http://www.usad.org/Footer-Menu/Resources/...m-Outlines.aspx

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post May 1 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #35

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ May 1 2016, 12:50 PM) *
The outlines are up. The page still says 2015-16, but the links take you to WW2 info.

http://www.usad.org/Footer-Menu/Resources/...m-Outlines.aspx

Good find...thank you! The art guide normally includes links to the works...they're making us hunt this year.

+Quote Post
Guest_b-rad_*
post May 1 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #36

Guests

I can't believe I was right on "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" as a listening selection! Also "Fanfare for the Common Man." I hope the "In the Mood" recording is the Glen Miller Band given his disappearance over the Channel during the war. And it looks like they're going to get Britten in (not with a listening selection, but with discussion of his War Requiem). I really can't believe the absence of Shostakovich, although maybe they felt we weren't far enough removed from the Russia theme.

This post has been edited by b-rad: May 1 2016, 06:50 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post May 1 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #37

Guests

What's a Gandhi?

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post May 1 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #38

Guests

Gosh. I can't believe it's already outline time for WW2. Our season ended on Friday and we are already starting on the next season in two weeks. We are returning almost the whole team from last year so we need to recruit a member to devote their lives to this crazy program where they study outside of school. I'm a bit disappointed with this year's theme and outlines. Most of the best parts of both WWI and WW2 came outside of America. They keep making the guides with the US at the center which is quite a bit annoying. I wish we could get a cool theme on a random country or on a person like Da Vinci or Shakespeare.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post May 1 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Music is annoyingly American-centric, they really could have done a lot more with it. Art looks awesome though, it has Europe and America and propaganda, typical art from the time (looks like some cubism, impressionism), and war memorials. Looks strong. SoSci is exactly what we should have expected, although I am happy that it seems like they are getting some real depth in it. I don't know much about science, but it looks good. Lit has a lot of poetry, should make it a challenging lit year.

+Quote Post
Guest_Scholastic Underdog_*
post May 1 2016, 11:59 PM
Post #40

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 1 2016, 06:50 PM) *
Music is annoyingly American-centric, they really could have done a lot more with it. Art looks awesome though, it has Europe and America and propaganda, typical art from the time (looks like some cubism, impressionism), and war memorials. Looks strong. SoSci is exactly what we should have expected, although I am happy that it seems like they are getting some real depth in it. I don't know much about science, but it looks good. Lit has a lot of poetry, should make it a challenging lit year.

I cannot begin to describe how much that Science excites me. It should be fantastic!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 02:33 AM