IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V  « < 27 28 29  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Republican Presidential Primaries, Who are the best candidates?
AK_WDB
post Mar 6 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #561

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Mar 6 2012, 06:52 AM) *
Jobs? Economic recovery? Romney defines the predatory capitalism that turned our economy upside-down, and that's going to be an issue I can guarantee you that Obama will not let go quietly.

Haha. "Predatory capitalism" is becoming a pretty tired phrase, but I do agree that Romney starts out at a bit of a disadvantage. But not everyone will see it this way. It's one thing to say you support his policies, but it's another to say everyone will just clearly be convinced by his arguments.

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Mar 6 2012, 07:09 AM) *
This would open him up to the silly and misused charge of class warfare, which is a really poor argument, but close to what's actually a really good argument in that it's not immoral to make a business more efficient. If anything, it should be moral to do so. If Romney were making reasonable arguments to the people who actually used their brains to make educated choices about serious issues instead of trying to convince the far-right (who, apparently, have never met a Mormon before?) that he's a social conservative, he might be making arguments like that.

But alas, elections are about the morality surrounding when a clump of cells are considered people, not when corporations are considered people, or when people in corporations are to be considered by government.

But no, RM - he is making those arguments. You just have selective hearing for the parts of the campaign that fit into your narrative that the GOP is an unilaterally focused on social issues and winning the evangelical vote.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Mar 6 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #562

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

Here's the disconnect:

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Mar 6 2012, 10:37 AM) *
But no, RM - he is making those arguments. You just have selective hearing for the parts of the campaign that fit into your narrative that the GOP is an unilaterally focused on social issues and winning the evangelical vote.

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Mar 6 2012, 07:09 AM) *
This would open him up to the silly and misused charge of class warfare, which is a really poor argument, but close to what's actually a really good argument in that it's not immoral to make a business more efficient. If anything, it should be moral to do so. If Romney were making reasonable arguments to the people who actually used their brains to make educated choices about serious issues instead of trying to convince the far-right (who, apparently, have never met a Mormon before?) that he's a social conservative, he might be making arguments like that.

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Mar 6 2012, 07:50 PM

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Mar 7 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #563

touha po ztracené

The most surprising thing to happen in today's primaries? Dennis Kucinich lost. And it wasn't even close.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Higginbotham
post Mar 8 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #564

Advanced Member

Member No.: 356

QUOTE (debator @ Mar 7 2012, 03:36 PM) *
just found out the rep. who beat him will go against joe the plumber in the general election. wtf.

And Kaptur will slaughter him easily.

Obama wins in a landslide. Or as close as we can get to a landslide in a country that is shamefully ignorant, and infested with 40% right wing crazies. Between Romney's nomination and his defeat we're going to see an insane amount of negative advertising from superPACs. I'd love to see that spur a movement towards adopting a Constitutional amendment outlawing the doctrine of "corporate personhood" and instituting public financing of campaigns. Not gonna happen though...

I would argue that Obama is the best president since FDR, and unless something dramatic happens, I'm pretty sure history will agree with me. Preventing a depression, resisting the self-destructive austerity hysteria that is destroying Europe, saving the auto industry, best environmental prez yet (he should do a lot more here), spectacular foreign policy achievements (though the rise of the drones is disturbing), best gay rights prez ever (hope he endorses gay marriage ASAP), health care reform (hope it's a step towards single payer), champion of women's rights.

Considering the fact that he has had to face a disloyal opposition more interested in destroying his presidency than in serving their country, it's amazing he's achieved so many worthwhile goals. I'm also extremely relieved to see that he has finally started playing hardball with Republicans. For too long, he gave them far too much credit as reasonable people that could be worked with.

--------------------
Steven Higginbotham
J. Frank Dobie
Academic Decathlon Coach
AcDec Team Member, 1995 Dobie

+Quote Post
JSK
post Mar 8 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #565

Advanced Member

Group: Mod Squad
Member No.: 75

It's not going to happen, but I would think it hilarious if Gingrich won the nomination, and then Obama campaigned on a "family values" platform!

--------------------
"I realized I had won. I had won all the prizes Academic Decathlon truly offers. The scholarships and promises of travel are only enticements to trick short-sighted children into partaking of an experience far more beautiful, far more awesome, far more sublime than they could comprehend in their limited experience. The competition is not about a few people winning this scholarship or that medal. The competition is about everyone, yes, everyone, gaining a desire to learn for the rest of their lives. It is about enriching our lives with deep and profound experiences. It is about following the path less taken, and realizing it has made all the difference in our lives." ~ zzzptm

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Mar 8 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #566

touha po ztracené

As much as I'd probably vote an identical ballot with you, I've gotta say...

QUOTE (Higginbotham @ Mar 8 2012, 06:55 AM) *
Obama wins in a landslide. Or as close as we can get to a landslide in a country that is shamefully ignorant, and infested with 40% right wing crazies.

The problem is that, for an easy example, our very own Mr. Bishop is a likely Romney voter, but not someone I really would call a "right-wing crazy." I know, and am related by blood to plenty of legitimate right-wing crazies, but I don't think that's a fair categorization of the average Republican voter.

I'd love to see that spur a movement towards adopting a Constitutional amendment outlawing the doctrine of "corporate personhood" and instituting public financing of campaigns. Not gonna happen though...

I'm curious how concrete this idea of "corporate personhood" is in the eyes of SCOTUS. The next few years of cases will hopefully tell us a lot more about how exactly that is all viewed. Technically speaking, corporations are NOT granted all Constitutional protections like individuals are. For example, corporations are NOT given fifth amendment rights against self-incrimination, and are required to disclose all information subpoenaed by the courts. So while I think they are given some latitude insofar as the idea that they could have free speech rights as an aggregation of individuals, I don't think that aggregation has given them other rights that can't really be aggregated.

I would argue that Obama is the best president since FDR, and unless something dramatic happens, I'm pretty sure history will agree with me. Preventing a depression, resisting the self-destructive austerity hysteria that is destroying Europe, saving the auto industry, best environmental prez yet (he should do a lot more here), spectacular foreign policy achievements (though the rise of the drones is disturbing), best gay rights prez ever (hope he endorses gay marriage ASAP), health care reform (hope it's a step towards single payer), champion of women's rights.

Continuing a war, starting another, propping up an anemic and lethargic Detroit auto industry and its overpaid blue-collar workforce at the expense of Silicon Valley startups and innovation-based jobs, not actually facing the real issues that Europe faces debt-wise, only looks so good on environmental issues because of the things he scaled back from Bush II, still a conservative Christian who doesn't believe in gay marriage, health care reform keeps the worst of both single payer and free market, and women already had rights.

Meh.

Considering the fact that he has had to face a disloyal opposition more interested in destroying his presidency than in serving their country, it's amazing he's achieved so many worthwhile goals. I'm also extremely relieved to see that he has finally started playing hardball with Republicans. For too long, he gave them far too much credit as reasonable people that could be worked with.

This is true.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Mar 8 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #567

Worst Influence

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (JSK @ Mar 8 2012, 02:07 PM) *
It's not going to happen, but I would think it hilarious if Gingrich won the nomination, and then Obama campaigned on a "family values" platform!

"smurf it, guys, no one takes any of this seriously anymore; how Dadaist can our campaign be?"

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.

+Quote Post
Crow
post Mar 14 2012, 12:45 AM
Post #568

Gadfly

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 11

Interestingly, Gingrich might be closer to the military/foreign policy position of several people on this board than, say, Obama (albeit by a different set of reasoning).

Also: Mississippi, Alabama, Hawaii, & American Samoa are all up.

This post has been edited by Crow: Mar 14 2012, 12:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Mar 14 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #569

I go back and forth on military and foreign policy. Someone - I think RM - said a few days ago that it's the issue on which he's the most "liberal", and in general, I feel the same way. I've never supported the war in Iraq. I don't think Israel has universal moral superiority over Palestine. I don't think the American soldier can do no wrong. I don't like the jingoistic "weak on terrorism" label Republicans often throw at Democrats. And while I think going into Afghanistan was fully justified after 9/11, I, like Gingrich and so many other Americans, have increasing qualms about whether the American mission there is achievable, or whether we have a clear mission at all.

On the other hand, I absolutely support maintaining a strong military. Look at World War II, for Christ's sake. That didn't happen in some backwards prehistoric era of humanity; one of my grandfathers fought in it, and I imagine many of you can say the same. There's no reason to believe the world is nicer today than in the 1940s. There's no reason not to believe that there are people like Hitler and the Nazis out there today, that they could cause mayhem on a scale far beyond 9/11 and even beyond WWII if they gained control of a national government, and that one of the main things holding them back is the knowledge that we have the ability to wipe them off the face of the Earth. Sure, you say, we have the UN and NATO to keep channels of communication open between governments, but U.S. military strength - and the knowledge that we're willing to use it - backs up those organizations.

Those are just a few musings; I just don't understand these issues for the most part. What opinions I have on Iraq and Afghanistan are based on my perceptions, and I know I perceive only a small part of the picture. The dynamics of human behavior involved here are far more complex than those involved in economic issues, and particularly as someone who's never studied international relations in depth, I try not to take strong positions on specific military/foreign policy questions.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Mar 14 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #570

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Mar 13 2012, 08:15 PM) *
I go back and forth on military and foreign policy. Someone - I think RM - said a few days ago that it's the issue on which he's the most "liberal", and in general, I feel the same way. I've never supported the war in Iraq. I don't think Israel has universal moral superiority over Palestine. I don't think the American soldier can do no wrong. I don't like the jingoistic "weak on terrorism" label Republicans often throw at Democrats. And while I think going into Afghanistan was fully justified after 9/11, I, like Gingrich and so many other Americans, have increasing qualms about whether the American mission there is achievable, or whether we have a clear mission at all.

On the other hand, I absolutely support maintaining a strong military. Look at World War II, for Christ's sake. That didn't happen in some backwards prehistoric era of humanity; one of my grandfathers fought in it, and I imagine many of you can say the same. There's no reason to believe the world is nicer today than in the 1940s. There's no reason not to believe that there are people like Hitler and the Nazis out there today, that they could cause mayhem on a scale far beyond 9/11 and even beyond WWII if they gained control of a national government, and that one of the main things holding them back is the knowledge that we have the ability to wipe them off the face of the Earth. Sure, you say, we have the UN and NATO to keep channels of communication open between governments, but U.S. military strength - and the knowledge that we're willing to use it - backs up those organizations.

Those are just a few musings; I just don't understand these issues for the most part. What opinions I have on Iraq and Afghanistan are based on my perceptions, and I know I perceive only a small part of the picture. The dynamics of human behavior involved here are far more complex than those involved in economic issues, and particularly as someone who's never studied international relations in depth, I try not to take strong positions on specific military/foreign policy questions.

While I think the same thing in theory, I assume that I just have a different understanding of what constitutes a strong military. We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world four times consecutively. Where do we stop and say "yeah, I guess that's overkill."

I think the military industrial complex is like any other entitlement program and while it's easy to spend more, increase benefits, involve ourselves in more wars, it's much harder to emphasize restraint and fiscal prudence. What if before we launched every Tomahawk cruise missile, the officer giving the order had to explain to an oversight body why they believed firing that missile was worth the nearly $600,000 it costs to build it. Does the American public really believe that $600,000 of our tax dollars was worth it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Mar 23 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #571

touha po ztracené

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxch-yi14BE...8c7FAAAAAAAASAA

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Apr 5 2012, 01:00 AM
Post #572

Those from Waukesha: I'm proud of your state and especially your county.

+Quote Post
Autumn Comet
post Apr 5 2012, 03:35 AM
Post #573

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 747

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Apr 4 2012, 09:00 PM) *
Those from Waukesha: I'm proud of your state and especially your county.

Speaking of this, any thoughts on how what Romney pulled is going to affect the primaries? I feel like it wouldn't matter since his competition would probably still sink faster than he would.

--------------------
Jessica Huynh
J. Frank Dobie High School honors 2009-2011
Brandeis University, class of 2015

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 5 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #574

touha po ztracené

Huntsman would never have drawn enough excitement to unseat an incumbent either. He looks good on paper, but he's not exciting enough to win a campaign in the age of mass media.

On a similar note, Romney will never drawn enough excitement to unseat an incumbent. He's not exciting enough to win a campaign in the age of mass media.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Apr 5 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #575

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 5 2012, 10:16 AM) *
On a similar note, Romney will never drawn enough excitement to unseat an incumbent. He's not exciting enough to win a campaign in the age of mass media.

For better or for worse, I suspect you are right.

+Quote Post
Autumn Comet
post Apr 10 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #576

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 747

Santorum is out. I guess this makes it Obama v. Romney.

I want a rap battle. >:(

--------------------
Jessica Huynh
J. Frank Dobie High School honors 2009-2011
Brandeis University, class of 2015

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 10 2012, 07:44 PM
Post #577

touha po ztracené

There's not even anything worth paying attention to anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 27 28 29
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 01:04 AM