Closed TopicStart new topic
> How to Work Well with Zzzptm, A Survival Guide
zzzptm
post May 2 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #1

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

First, let me apologize to Jonesy. I dedicate this guide to him.

This all stems from invisible posts. On this board, when a person posts something that violates the Terms of Service (ToS) of the board, the admins and mods will make the post invisible. We're working to make the process accountable to each other and subject to review by other admins/mods because we really don't want to have to cull content from the board.

Be that as it may, there are times where people cross the line and content has to be altered or invisibled.

In the Random Thoughts about Random Thoughts thread, one person made a post that contained an abbreviation for an inappropriate term that, while it would evade a profanity filter, was obvious to any human intellect familiar with English-language curses as to what it meant. I made those posts invisible and carried on rebuilding the forum from the ground up after the catastrophic crash of April 2009.

I then made the comment, "Do you want me to ban you by IP address?" I was mad at the poster and the guy that quoted him. Both should have known better and both should not have done what they did.

Jonesy then asked in public if I meant that for him. I said yes.

OK, Jonesy and I have had a history of clashing, but I really do like him and would like to see him on the board because he brings a lot of value to our conversations here. I just don't like public challenges to my authority. I REALLY don't like them.

Now, I could have scrolled up and checked to see if it was him, but I went with the path of dumbness and assumed if he was asking if it was him, it must have been him. For that, I have to apologize. Our discussion got to the point where I felt ready to ban him. Thus we see how the path of dumbness can lead to mistakes. To keep that from happening again, I'm posting this guide.

1. Don't try to evade the profanity filter. It's there for a reason. While there are off-topic threads, it's not a free-for-all here. The profanity filter is a sort of minimum standard of content restriction here. There are words I can't ban, and if you use them, you will be warned.

2. If you have a question about things bannable/warnable, ask me in a PM. I have an entirely different attitude if a conversation starts and ends in a PM. I make more effort to avoid the path of dumbness.

3. If you challenge the authority of any admin or mod on the board, I see that as a direct attack on the board itself. Never mind if that's rational or not. It's the way I see things. If an admin or mod says not to do something and then you do that very thing, you will be banned. In the previous incarnation of this board, we had people who did some really rotten things. They refused to change, so they got very banned.

Once again, my humble apologies to Jonesy. You got a bad rap and it was all my fault. You hadn't done anything wrong in that thread as far as the ToS was concerned. I put you in a bad situation and pushed one of your buttons and that led to our argument.

With that in mind, DDT fans, follow this guide for better happiness. If you call me out and then that post vanishes and you get a PM with a link to this thread in it instead of getting banned on the spot, thank Jonesy. If you keep it up after I send you the link to this post, then blame yourself.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post May 2 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 2 2009, 01:34 PM) *
2. If you have a question about things bannable/warnable, ask me in a PM. I have an entirely different attitude if a conversation starts and ends in a PM. I make more effort to avoid the path of dumbness.

+1

I think we have enough admins/mods that there will always be one online to ask. But in all reality, if you have to ask, it's probably inappropriate...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 10:12 AM