IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why divisions are based on the students number?
HelloKitty
post May 5 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Crystal Clears
Member No.: 704,096

Hello friends!!! I am Yibai Li from Hangzhou Foreign Languages School.

I agree that decathletes should be divided into different groups to achieve USAD’s initial target of giving everyone equal chances, but I just don’t understand why the divisions should be based on the number of students of that school. I think it is a stereotype that larger schools have more resources or funds, and thus students there are easier to get high scores. If this stereotype is true, the scores of decathletes should always be Division I> Division II> Division III. Obviously, this is not always the case. So probably the students’ number is not one of the most important factors that should be considered. Maybe the location of the schools/public or private schools can affect the amount of resources more. What do you guys think about??? smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 5 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #2

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (HelloKitty @ May 5 2017, 05:53 PM) *

I agree that decathletes should be divided into different groups to achieve USAD’s initial target of giving everyone equal chances, but I just don’t understand why the divisions should be based on the number of students of that school. I think it is a stereotype that larger schools have more resources or funds, and thus students there are easier to get high scores. If this stereotype is true, the scores of decathletes should always be Division I> Division II> Division III. Obviously, this is not always the case. So probably the students’ number is not one of the most important factors that should be considered. Maybe the location of the schools/public or private schools can affect the amount of resources more. What do you guys think about??? smile.gif

Hey Yibai! I think this is a great question, and this stereotype isn't necessarily about large schools having better resources- it is simply the idea that the more students you have at a school, the more likely you are to field a better team. I do not know about how it works in China, but in the U.S. most students are put in a school based on geographic location, which means that there are no qualifications to go to that school except be in the zone. So, if you have 100 students at your school, you are simply less likely to find talent for ANY activity (sports or academics) than if you are at a school of 5,000 students.

This does not hold true for schools that are considered private- usually religion-centric schools- since they have application processes. For these schools, they get to pick their students, so if they have 100 students they are hand-chosen, making them more likely to have better students. So this is why it tends to be divided into divisions like that. Hope i answered your questions.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
HelloKitty
post May 5 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Group: Crystal Clears
Member No.: 704,096

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 6 2017, 01:03 AM) *

Hey Yibai! I think this is a great question, and this stereotype isn't necessarily about large schools having better resources- it is simply the idea that the more students you have at a school, the more likely you are to field a better team. I do not know about how it works in China, but in the U.S. most students are put in a school based on geographic location, which means that there are no qualifications to go to that school except be in the zone. So, if you have 100 students at your school, you are simply less likely to find talent for ANY activity (sports or academics) than if you are at a school of 5,000 students.

This does not hold true for schools that are considered private- usually religion-centric schools- since they have application processes. For these schools, they get to pick their students, so if they have 100 students they are hand-chosen, making them more likely to have better students. So this is why it tends to be divided into divisions like that. Hope i answered your questions.

OK i get the point now!!! Thanks

+Quote Post
Dave C
post May 5 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 233,229

It is also about how much time a student dedicates to each sport or activity they are in. A school of 200 that has to put together teams for football, basketball, soccer, baseball, track, band, speech, drama, decathlon, and whatever else will have the same kids in many events. The students divide their time. But in a larger school with mostly the same activities available, there are more students to pull from so there is a lot less overlap with students in multiple things. Kids tend to specialize in just one or two things...since that is all they focus on, they can get a lot better at that one thing. I think my 9 students have 17 varsity sports/activities between them. We're never going to score anywhere close to 50K that way.

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post May 16 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 284

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 5 2017, 09:03 AM) *

Geography based schooling is a thing of the past for many areas (not all). Our big rival University High is a highly selective music-based charter that draws students from all over. For instance, this year they had a student from Madera county on their team (our competition takes place in Fresno County), and previous teams have had people from Kings and Tulare county on them. This not only puts us at a bit of a disadvantage, but when it comes to online competitions the geography based small schools are completely disadvantaged because they are small because of population limits within a confined area while private schools and charters are small by choice/selection criteria/cost. There should be some other way to divide teams.

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 16 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #6

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

I think any school that can select its own student body should automatically be large/DI/biggest division.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
CouchBeck
post May 18 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 145

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ May 16 2017, 04:20 PM) *
I think any school that can select its own student body should automatically be large/DI/biggest division.

I would agree. All private schools and magnet types schools that draw from multiple "school assignment zones" should have their own division.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 12:56 PM