zzzptm
post Mar 5 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #41

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Mar 5 2018, 11:40 AM) *
QUOTE (Peter Cao @ Mar 5 2018, 01:44 AM) *
What do you think the music will be like? I'm expecting some classic and theater/movie music like most years, but for the other music, I'm think that there will be Beatles, Elvis, and maybe Simon and Garfunkel.

I highly doubt there will be any Beatles. I can't imagine those licensing fees...

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Mar 5 2018, 11:21 AM) *
"Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago... "

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO <33333333

Still not over the 2013 Russia curriculum. Я люблю Россию.

Considering how USAD likes to recycle, that one would not be a surprise to me, at all.

Some others from the list of possibly affordable licenses...

"Telstar" ... "Doo Wah Diddy Diddy"... "Please Mr. Postman"... "Leader of the Pack"... "It's My Party"... and... "LOUIE LOUIE"!!! <-- if that is on the CD, the Varsities will NEVER stop singing it! Beware!

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MusicMan
post Mar 5 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #42

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 720,648

I agree that the Beatles would probably be too expensive. Although Yoko might give it up if Part 4 of the Music Resource is exclusively about her... and written by her.

Maybe a Beatles cover? Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from My Friends" would be nice, plus it has a tie-in to Woodstock. Still too expensive?

They gotta have some Motown!

They should probably have one surf rock tune... maybe Jan and Dean if they can't get Beach Boys.

My jazz choice (trying to fit in with the theme) is "Original Faubus Fables" by Charles Mingus.

"Crazy" recorded by Patsy Cline, written by Willie Nelson would be a nice nod to country and Nashville.

One musical theater nod I'd like to see is "The Sweetest Sounds" from Richard Rodgers' musical "No Strings."

If they expand beyond 1969, I'd like to see something from Leonard Bernstein's "Mass" that was commissioned to open the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in 1971. Also from Leonard Bernstein, possibly one of the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story that he completed in 1960.

Looking at Wikipedia lists of classical works and composers, I wouldn't be surprised if they picked something from Elliott Carter's String Quartet No. 2 (it won a Pulitzer, and it seems perfectly bizarre for USAD). Steve Reich's "Piano Phase" wouldn't surprise me. Other American composers that wouldn't surprise me include Samuel Barber, Milton Babbitt, Roy Harris, Vincent Persichetti, Walter Piston, or a young Philip Glass.

+Quote Post
Guest_Peter Cao_*
post Mar 6 2018, 01:03 AM
Post #43

Guests

Will they organize the music resource by genre or by year? I'm thinking by genre, but somewhat chronologically.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Mar 6 2018, 01:12 AM
Post #44

Guests

QUOTE (Peter Cao @ Mar 4 2018, 09:44 PM) *
What do you think the music will be like? I'm expecting some classic and theater/movie music like most years, but for the other music, I'm think that there will be Beatles, Elvis, and maybe Simon and Garfunkel.

St. Louis Blues except in the 60s

+Quote Post
Guest_Peter Cao_*
post Mar 6 2018, 02:44 AM
Post #45

Guests

For one of the obligatory classic pieces, I'd say Paul Mauriat - Love is Blue. Please USAD, use a song that many people are at least acquainted to for classical.

+Quote Post
MusicMan
post Mar 6 2018, 03:31 AM
Post #46

Maybe a Michel Legrand/Alan & Marilyn Bergman tune like "Windmills of Your Mind" or "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" Probably shouldn't count out Henry Mancini for film music, either.

+Quote Post
Guest_ahundredjarsofsky_*
post Mar 6 2018, 10:28 AM
Post #47

Guests

I'd like Joni Mitchell & Woodstock. Early Pink Floyd?

Curious what the poetry selections will be. I'm rooting for Adrienne Rich & maybe some early June Jordan/ Audre Lorde/ Amiri Baraka.

+Quote Post
MusicMan
post Mar 6 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #48

QUOTE (ahundredjarsofsky @ Mar 6 2018, 04:28 AM) *

Curious what the poetry selections will be. I'm rooting for Adrienne Rich & maybe some early June Jordan/ Audre Lorde/ Amiri Baraka.

I'd like some Joni Mitchell, too. I couldn't find as much of her pre-1970 songs that I like as much as her songs from the 1970s. Maybe "Both Sides Now" or "Night in the City." What are other Joni tunes you would like?

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Mar 6 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #49

The Fisher King

Hey, there's also Vince Guaraldi! "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" would be marvelous, but so would his more well-known "Linus and Lucy".

That's right, he's the "Charlie Brown music" guy.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
post Mar 7 2018, 03:22 AM
Post #50

Guests

QUOTE (MusicMan @ Mar 6 2018, 05:21 PM) *
QUOTE (ahundredjarsofsky @ Mar 6 2018, 04:28 AM) *

I'd like some Joni Mitchell, too. I couldn't find as much of her pre-1970 songs that I like as much as her songs from the 1970s. Maybe "Both Sides Now" or "Night in the City." What are other Joni tunes you would like?

Yeah, basically just Woodstock. I started thinking of all the mid-late 20c singers/bands I liked and realized their careers all took off/ peaked in the '70s, not '60s - Talking Heads, Annie Lennox, Leonard Cohen, Pink Floyd... tells you the decade in which my father grew up! Although I'd take early Leonard Cohen - Suzanne? Bird on the Wire?

+Quote Post
Guest_DTLA_*
post Mar 7 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #51

Guests

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Mar 5 2018, 05:12 PM) *
St. Louis Blues except in the 60s

Now that's funny!

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Mar 7 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #52

The Fisher King

"Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie because it's epic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_MarkJackson_*
post Mar 12 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #53

Guests

Music with "I wanna be your Dog!" by the Stooges ('69), "Gimme Shelter" by the Stones, and everything by the Velvet Underground will be required listening. Plus poetry by Charles Bukowski.

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoinths_*
post Mar 12 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #54

Guests

BTW, I finished reading Rosencranz and Guildenstern are Dead this weekend before I figure out how I want my team to start tackling it this spring. I imagine it's not exactly going to be a big hit with the students. I'm not sure how well existential tragicomedy that borders on the absurd will go over with 15-18 year-olds. I hope that's the only example of absurdist literature the students are required to read as I don't know if answering questions about whether one's actions in life are pointless will be much fun for test-takers.

+Quote Post
post Mar 13 2018, 03:29 AM
Post #55

Guests

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Mar 12 2018, 11:42 PM) *
BTW, I finished reading Rosencranz and Guildenstern are Dead this weekend before I figure out how I want my team to start tackling it this spring. I imagine it's not exactly going to be a big hit with the students. I'm not sure how well existential tragicomedy that borders on the absurd will go over with 15-18 year-olds. I hope that's the only example of absurdist literature the students are required to read as I don't know if answering questions about whether one's actions in life are pointless will be much fun for test-takers.

Yeah. Love it, but I read + loved Beckett and Camus at that age so I'm a sucker for existentialism/absurdism (it makes me really fun to be around).

Writing test questions will be interesting. "How does Rosencrantz respond to Guildenstern after their 20th coin flip?"

+Quote Post
Guest_ridgepoinths_*
post Mar 13 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #56

Guests

QUOTE (ahundredjarsofsky @ Mar 12 2018, 10:29 PM) *
QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Mar 12 2018, 11:42 PM) *

Yeah. Love it, but I read + loved Beckett and Camus at that age so I'm a sucker for existentialism/absurdism (it makes me really fun to be around).

Writing test questions will be interesting. "How does Rosencrantz respond to Guildenstern after their 20th coin flip?"

Or what coin flip number finally comes up tails? (not sure if we actually ever read the actual number, but I do recall tails finally came up at least once...)
Or which of the following characters confuses Rosencrantz with Guildenstern and calls them by their wrong names? a) Hamlet, cool.gif Ophelia, c) Claudius, d) All of the Above, e) None of the Above (just to make it a true absurdist-themed question) happy.gif

+Quote Post
Dave C
post May 1 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 721,901

Outlines are up!
http://www.usad.org/Footer-Menu/Resources/...m-Outlines.aspx

Interesting note at the bottom of the music outline, answering the question that many of us had:

NOTE TO STUDENTS: If one were to create an ideal compilation of music from the 1960s, it
would surely include recordings by Bob Dylan, The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys,
and Jimi Hendrix, among others. Unfortunately, it is exceptionally difficult and prohibitively
expensive to license the music of these iconic artists. Despite sincere and prolonged efforts,
USAD was not able to license tracks by these musicians for use on the listening CD. (In some
cases, it was feasible to license cover versions, such as the Byrds’ cover of Dylan’s “Mr.
Tambourine Man” and Otis Redding’s cover of the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction.”) All of these
artists made significant contributions to the music of the 1960s, and they and their works are
discussed in the text of the resource guide. We hope that students will find time to extend their
exploration of the music of the 1960s beyond the scope of the resource guide and the companion
CD by listening to original recordings by these artists, many of which are available online.
However, only excerpts from the fourteen tracks on the USAD Music CD will be included on the
listening portion of the music test

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 1 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #58

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

Ooooh I'm liking.

Bob Dylan has THREE selected works... in the Lit section? Maybe the Nobel committee was right after all. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dave C
post May 1 2018, 02:56 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 721,901

So much jazz and no blues. I am very disappointed on both counts.

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post May 1 2018, 03:35 PM
Post #60

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 722,347

Complete opposite of you on that- Love Supreme is an amazing record, and Miles Davis is one of my favorite musicians.

SoSci seems like it will be very long. Art seems great. Lit seems to have more importance on the shorter selections than ever before, which makes sense with the length of RGD. First time I've seen SS be worth more than the novel I think.

--------------------

Competition
2008 Texas State team champions- Pearland
2008 Texas State individual champion varsity category

Coach
2017 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles
2018 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2018 - 02:08 AM