IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Summer 2018 Progress and Goals, Letís get the board more active and talk about whatís going on!
Scholastic Under...
post Jun 6 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 721,988

Hey everyone! As anybody with experience on DDT can attest to, there are always a lot of really long dead periods on the board, most especially during the summer. Due to this, I wanted to get some conversations going, and I figured summer progress and team goals is a great place to start! For Morton, this year is definitely being handled differently than last year, as I learned a lot about trusting kids when they say theyíre reading (without being the official coach in-class, I miss out on a lot of the proof Iíd be able to see in there). As such, this summerís focus is just going to be on making sure everybody is actually reading. High hopes for the season, but Iím staying quiet until I see the proof in the pudding smile.gif

Howís everyone else doing? Making good progress? Anybody have amazing/awful recruitment periods this year? Let us know!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Jun 7 2018, 01:31 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 722,352

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Jun 6 2018, 05:57 PM) *
Hey everyone! As anybody with experience on DDT can attest to, there are always a lot of really long dead periods on the board, most especially during the summer. Due to this, I wanted to get some conversations going, and I figured summer progress and team goals is a great place to start! For Morton, this year is definitely being handled differently than last year, as I learned a lot about trusting kids when they say theyíre reading (without being the official coach in-class, I miss out on a lot of the proof Iíd be able to see in there). As such, this summerís focus is just going to be on making sure everybody is actually reading. High hopes for the season, but Iím staying quiet until I see the proof in the pudding smile.gif

Howís everyone else doing? Making good progress? Anybody have amazing/awful recruitment periods this year? Let us know!

I can tell you that Ridge Point will have its largest AcDec class ever next year (32 or possibly even 33 although I'll probably lose a couple after we return in the fall) and that worries me a bit. I focused recruiting on honors kids as that's where we got hurt the most last year in competition. We have packets in hand which is also the first time that's ever been the case in school history as we normally don't have the resource guides until September. So my team will need to read this summer too although I'm sure it will be uneven. I also have high hopes and love the topic so I am excited and I think the kids are as well. I'm hoping we're much more competitive in the Katy regional next year! I'm taking our top three returning AcDec team members to an academic competition in July so we're still focused on that but will hit the ground running in mid to late-July.

--------------------
Coach, Ridge Point High School, Missouri City, Texas
AcDec state participants, 2016 & 2017
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Senior Team Champions, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018

+Quote Post
Hannah_L
post Jun 7 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 721,897

I have a ton of plans over the summer, and I'm hoping they actually work! I think the guides (for the most part) are pretty interesting, and I'm really looking forward to this year! I'd like to say that this summer is shaping up to be better and more productive for both me and my team than last year, but it's a bit early to tell! I think the people we recruited this year are all great people, and the team seems to be bonding already, which is important (for me, at least). Granted, the summer just started (It hasn't even been a week yet), so there's a high chance that I'm being far too optimistic. XD

Recruitment is going better than last year, which is good! (I mean, last year, we had to recruit a new varsity two days before region, so almost anything is better!)

Besides that, it's extremely hard to tell how we're going to perform this year, but I'm hoping that the summer goes well!

--------------------
Hannah Lee
Wakeland High School Honors

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Jun 9 2018, 05:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 721,988

QUOTE (Hannah_L @ Jun 7 2018, 04:20 PM) *

I have a ton of plans over the summer, and I'm hoping they actually work! I think the guides (for the most part) are pretty interesting, and I'm really looking forward to this year! I'd like to say that this summer is shaping up to be better and more productive for both me and my team than last year, but it's a bit early to tell! I think the people we recruited this year are all great people, and the team seems to be bonding already, which is important (for me, at least). Granted, the summer just started (It hasn't even been a week yet), so there's a high chance that I'm being far too optimistic. XD

Recruitment is going better than last year, which is good! (I mean, last year, we had to recruit a new varsity two days before region, so almost anything is better!)

Besides that, it's extremely hard to tell how we're going to perform this year, but I'm hoping that the summer goes well!

Any chance y'all will have the depth to support your utterly insane honors division? I've so badly been wanting to see Wakeland stand with the best teams, as last year you and Labiba showed just how much your team is capable of! My H1 from last year (one of the 9k sophomores) is gunning for you, and I can't wait for the season to start! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hannah_L
post Jun 9 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 721,897

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ Jun 9 2018, 12:27 PM) *

Any chance y'all will have the depth to support your utterly insane honors division? I've so badly been wanting to see Wakeland stand with the best teams, as last year you and Labiba showed just how much your team is capable of! My H1 from last year (one of the 9k sophomores) is gunning for you, and I can't wait for the season to start! smile.gif

I really really hope so! We have people with potential, but potential doesn't mean anything if they don't choose to work, unfortunately. :/ I really like the people doing it this year though, and considering it's my last year in Acdec (I'm crying internally XD), I really want Wakeland to do well, both this year and in the future!

That's so awesome that you actually noticed us last year though! XD I think it'll be amazing if Wakeland can cement itself as one of the better teams, though I'm not too sure if it's going to happen yet!

Your H1 was a sophomore last year! ohmy.gif That's super cool! Welp, I need to start working even harder! wink.gif (Though if my subs were like they were at region and state last year, I shouldn't be too much of a threat! XD)

This year is going to be amazing, and I'm super excited for it too! Wish Morton Ranch and your H1 good luck for me! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Hannah Lee
Wakeland High School Honors

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Jun 10 2018, 01:16 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 722,352

Speaking of planning, do we know a tentative date for the Katy Invitational AcDec meet using USAD Easy tests? I'm assuming either Saturday, Oct. 13th or 20th?

--------------------
Coach, Ridge Point High School, Missouri City, Texas
AcDec state participants, 2016 & 2017
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Senior Team Champions, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post Jun 10 2018, 11:04 PM
Post #7

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 722,347

Dulles is doing well. On top of last year's 3 returners, we have 9 other juniors who are coming back plus another 2 or 3 who joined up that are very strong. We also have somewhere around 20-25 sophomores, sitting around 38 total. We actually have honors depth for once- 10 kids competing which should be exciting, and some of them I believe to be on Sophie's level. Our scholastics are deep but I'm still not sure who will step up out of the group; we have about 20 or so scholastics and nearly all of them will be competitive. Varsities are going to be very strong, and a lot of strong depth there. Of course by the end of the summer we could be down to 35 or so, but still not too bad.

Our summer schedule is now based around a project- they have to turn in a journal of basic notes for every resource except econ and math the day we get to school. We also are increasing our meeting frequency while reducing the amount of time spent in one day- so we're hoping that will keep the kids reading and encouraged. We're more concerned with reading on a surface-level than getting into the nitty gritty as of now.

We're really going to miss that senior group, but we've gotten better every year for the last four years, and I don't expect this year to be any different. The question is how much better does the rest of Texas get.

--------------------

Competition
2008 Texas State team champions- Pearland
2008 Texas State individual champion varsity category

Coach
2016 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles
2017 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles

+Quote Post
acadecalex
post Jun 11 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 721,912

This year is definitely going to be a transition year for us (Trabuco Hills). Out of our 13 students we had last year, 11 are graduating (8 of them being on our main team). We have had mostly the same core group for the past 3 years, so this is our newest group in a long time. Despite this, though, we just finished recruiting and I am very optimistic for the year ahead. We have 5 Honors, 4 Scholastics, and 2 Varsities (our smallest group ever, which is intentional). The breakdown by grade is 4 seniors, 6 juniors, and 1 sophomore. This group just has an energy that gives me a gut feeling that they are going to do well (in comparison to our past teams). I am very hopeful for our two new Varsities, as they have already shown a lot of initiative and commitment. We have started reading SocSci and they are doing very very well so far. We will be meeting twice a week over the summer with reading in-between, but I am cautiously optimistic right now for the season ahead!

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Jun 13 2018, 08:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 721,993

I have no idea how things are going to go. To many possibilities. Robotics may or may not happen. If it doesn't then about 4 will migrate to us. A couple want to do decathlon and science Olympiad, but she doesn't play well with others so I don't know they will do. Two more are on the water polo team which will make them miss most of the fall. Between the science Olympiad and water polo possibilities are the entirety of our scholastic interested students. We have one returning varsity. Honors are oozing out of every pore on campus. Who knows. I gave them all the music packet, and the returners got art, music, and science to read over the summer. Fingers crossed.

+Quote Post
Labiba Uddin
post Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 720,461

Woah!!! I canít believe you actually noticed us XD.

I had bigger plans for summer but havenít really gotten to them yet. Summer break is shorter than usual which Iím not a huge fan of but hopefully I can still get a lot done. The team seems amazing and theyíre getting along pretty well! smile.gif Iím really excited for this year, even more than last year!! Itís really helpful to actually know whatís going on biggrin.gif I was *very* lost last year... but the team helped so much last year and I want to return the favor for the newcomers this year. They seem really excited which is always important wink.gif

This yearís topic is amazing and I personally LOVE it! After state, I missed reading the guides - I almost forgot how fun it was biggrin.gif good luck to your team and everyone else whoís studying this summer! Canít wait for competition season to start!!!

--------------------
Labiba Uddin
Sophomore
Wakeland High School Honors 2017-

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Today, 06:53 PM
Post #11

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Considering getting certified as a HITRUST consultant and I need to do my FSCE exam.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 06:58 PM