Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2012-2013 Theme
Guest_swaswa_*
post Feb 21 2012, 01:23 AM
Post #1

Guests

The new AcDec topic is supposed to come out pretty soon, right?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 21 2012, 01:26 AM
Post #2

Guests

Seems like it's usually the very beginning of March, so yes! biggrin.gif\

What do you think it's gonna be?

This post has been edited by BearMan: Feb 21 2012, 01:27 AM

+Quote Post
acadecker
post Feb 21 2012, 02:32 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 25

I am horribly bad at predicting, as my predictions rarely pan out. What I would like to see (and I've mentioned this before) is (not necessarily in any order:

History of Russia
WWII
Cold War
Revolutionary War
Japan (hey, we did China, why not Japan?)

I don't know if USAD gets topical or not. Many people a lot smarter than I have postulated that USAD does/does not get topical; so, you could debate that forever. If they do, then with all of the Arab Spring stuff going on, a visit to the AM Revolutionary War could be topical, in a way, if they link the US fight for freedom to current issues. This would also make sense (according to some people who analyze these things); since we studied Europe this year (mainly) then going back to North America for next year makes sense (in a back and forth, taking turns sort of way).

I'm never right, so cross these things off your lists, and you will be much closer than anything I can come up with.

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 21 2012, 02:43 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (acadecker @ Feb 20 2012, 07:32 PM) *
I am horribly bad at predicting, as my predictions rarely pan out. What I would like to see (and I've mentioned this before) is (not necessarily in any order:

History of Russia
WWII
Cold War
Revolutionary War

I don't know if USAD gets topical or not. Many people a lot smarter than I have postulated that USAD does/does not get topical; so, you could debate that forever. If they do, then with all of the Arab Spring stuff going on, a visit to the AM Revolutionary War could be topical, in a way, if they link the US fight for freedom to current issues. This would also make sense (according to some people who analyze these things); since we studied Europe this year (mainly) then going back to North America for next year makes sense (in a back and forth, taking turns sort of way).

I'm never right, so cross these things off your lists, and you will be much closer than anything I can come up with.

I'm predicting WWII. I think that'd be totally badass biggrin.gif

But then again, I thought the Civil War would be badass, and it ended up being a horribly boring SQ packet...

This post has been edited by BearMan: Feb 21 2012, 02:43 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Chuck's Back Up_*
post Feb 21 2012, 02:51 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (acadecker @ Feb 20 2012, 10:32 PM) *

History of Russia
WWII
Cold War
Revolutionary War

I would like to ee the history of russia since it's so rich and diverse. It also kind of relates to eastern culture which I wish to see more of. We do everything from the western worlds perspective...maybe excluding China idk wasn't there for it. I understand the winners write history but even exploring the middle east and maybe using pieces from arabian nights and
other important arabian lit. and discuss the area as a cultural and trading hub. Talk about how Alladin was never actually of middle eastern origins but was later included from a chinese fable that ended up there miraculously and was told and verbally handed down by merchants. Explore the development of Islam and expansion. The middle eastern empires were important and the region was a vibrant area for a long time filled with many cultures colliding and I think everything could be refreshed in our curriculum with this considering there is enough art, music, history, lit., and econonic situations to fill a dozen guides. We could use climatology like before as a science or a social science like psychology or sociology which I'd love.

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Feb 21 2012, 03:21 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (BearMan @ Feb 20 2012, 08:43 PM) *
But then again, I thought the Civil War would be badass, and it ended up being a horribly boring SQ packet...

I beg to differ. I loved that one. If not quite as interesting in my opinion, I would argue that it was at least more entertaining than the evolutionary bio SQ packet.

It was fun to point and laugh at McDowell pissing his pants while overestimating the number of troops Stonewall Jackson had by an order of magnitude.

And then there were Burnside's epic sideburns...

This post has been edited by tryingtothinkagain: Feb 21 2012, 03:22 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_swaswa_*
post Feb 21 2012, 03:38 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Feb 20 2012, 08:21 PM) *

I beg to differ. I loved that one. If not quite as interesting in my opinion, I would argue that it was at least more entertaining than the evolutionary bio SQ packet.

It was fun to point and laugh at McDowell pissing his pants while overestimating the number of troops Stonewall Jackson had by an order of magnitude.

My all-time favorite SQ guide is the History of the French Revolution. Geology was alright, and this year's one is meh.

This post has been edited by swaswa: Feb 22 2012, 01:46 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_BearMan_*
post Feb 21 2012, 03:46 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Feb 20 2012, 08:21 PM) *

You thought Civil war was better than Evo Bio? What is wrong with you!!! tongue.gif

I loved evolutionary biology. The best part was reading the team shirts of the catholic schools...

+Quote Post
post Feb 21 2012, 03:50 AM
Post #9

Guests

I only had those two (plus a few brief encounters with the '07 material when I attempted octathlon for a month...) to go by, I'm not familiar at all with materials from any other year. So I may be more than a little biased.

This post has been edited by tryingtothinkagain: Feb 21 2012, 03:51 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Feb 21 2012, 04:10 AM
Post #10

Guests

Cold War
Gold Rush
Middle East
The 50 States
Just my ideas.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Feb 21 2012, 04:44 AM
Post #11

Guests

USAD is well overdue for a "non-Western" topic. I would place a modest wager on the Middle East given the Arab Spring, but then again, my predictions have never been right either.

+Quote Post
post Feb 21 2012, 05:16 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Feb 20 2012, 10:44 PM) *
USAD is well overdue for a "non-Western" topic. I would place a modest wager on the Middle East given the Arab Spring, but then again, my predictions have never been right either.

That...actually sounds like a pretty good idea, if not a good bet. I'm going to be disappointed if that's not he subject within two years.

+Quote Post
Guest_JBroms_*
post Feb 21 2012, 05:22 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Feb 21 2012, 03:21 AM) *

I'm fairly certain my brain is repressing my memories of whatever the article written by W.E.B Du Bois was.... I can't even remember the title anymore.

+Quote Post
post Feb 21 2012, 05:48 AM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (JBroms @ Feb 20 2012, 11:22 PM) *
QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Feb 21 2012, 03:21 AM) *

I'm fairly certain my brain is repressing my memories of whatever the article written by W.E.B Du Bois was.... I can't even remember the title anymore.

Blues Falling Down Like Hail is the only title I remember, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't Du Bois.

+Quote Post
Guest_fyzics_*
post Feb 21 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #15

Guests

I may be showing my age here, but my favorite topic of all time was Lewis and Clark. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Feb 21 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #16

Guests

I remember the opening sentence somewhat well. "The problem for the twentieth century will be the same problem as the ninteenth century: the color line."

Obviously more eloquent, because Du Bois, but still.

+Quote Post
Guest_Chris Redmon_*
post Feb 21 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (fyzics @ Feb 21 2012, 11:34 AM) *
I may be showing my age here, but my favorite topic of all time was Lewis and Clark. smile.gif

That was my favorite year if only for the opportunity to read Undaunted Courage and dress up in coonskin hats.

+Quote Post
Guest_Tad Walters_*
post Feb 21 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #18

Guests

I tried decathlon for all 4 years. But quit my first two years. My favorite SQ guide was French Revolution, then Civil War, Geology, and finally, Evolutionary biology. Bio was the main reason I quit my sophomore year. I had just failed Bio my freshman year and I knew I wasn't good at any type of biology haha. But I would also like to see an Eastern topic. For me, Eastern topics make you learn a lot more info that you don't already know. I can't tell you how much of the French Rev. or Great Depression I already knew because of AP classes. So seeing Russia, Middle East, or something else would be really nice to see.

+Quote Post
acadecker
post Feb 22 2012, 01:18 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 25

QUOTE (fyzics @ Feb 21 2012, 10:34 AM) *

I'm the only one who can REALLY show my age here; so, here are my top ten favorite themes that I enjoyed teaching the most:

10th -- China and Its Influence on the World with Super Quiz of An Introduction to Climatology (2006-2007)
9th -- Exploring the Ancient World with Super Quiz of From Empty Space to Incredible Universe: The Sky is Not the Limit (2004-2005)
8th -- Understanding Others with Super Quiz of E-communication: The Internet & Society (2001-2002)
7th -- Looking Forward: Creating the Future with Super Quiz of Sustainable Earth and "Eat That Chicken" by Charlie Mingus" (1999-2000)
6th -- Looking Inward: Developing a Sense of Meaning with Super Quiz of The Brain (1998-1999)
5th -- The French Revolution with a Super Quiz of the the History of the French Revolution (2009-2010)
4th -- Communication and Culture with Super Quiz of The Information Revolution (1996-1997)
3rd -- Health, Wellness, and Biotechnology with Super Quiz of Biotechnology (1994-1995)
2nd -- The Growth of a Nation with Super Quiz of The Lewis and Clark Expedition (2003-2004)

And my top overall favorite theme to teach: The European Renaissance: Renewal and Reform with the Super Quiz of the same name (2005-2006)

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Feb 22 2012, 01:31 AM
Post #20

Guests

I have to say the European Renaissance was probably my favorite topic too, though it wasn't the one where I did the best. And I loved the Astronomy SQ for ancient civilizations, although the history killed me.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2018 - 07:25 PM