Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AcaDeca Alumni, What are they doing?
madcap
post Dec 10 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

I'm creating a list of notable AcaDeca alumni: http://demidecscores.gilslotd.com/wiki/Alumni.

I'm seeking any feedback on the format of this page, but if you know of any alumni doing cool things, it would be awesome to hear about them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
madcap
post Dec 10 2013, 07:35 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

This is so much fun! So far, two varsities who became lawyers!

+Quote Post
Guest_Crow_*
post Dec 13 2013, 12:53 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (madcap @ Dec 10 2013, 12:35 AM) *

I resemble this comment. Or, I guess I will when I pass the bar off in the future.

This post has been edited by Crow: Dec 13 2013, 12:57 AM

+Quote Post
madcap
post Dec 14 2013, 06:38 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Crow @ Dec 12 2013, 07:53 PM) *
QUOTE (madcap @ Dec 10 2013, 12:35 AM) *

I resemble this comment. Or, I guess I will when I pass the bar off in the future.

That's exciting. I'm looking forward to it. smile.gif

So far, we have only one person each for 2005, 2006, and 2008. I've been Googling so many Decathletes. It's incredible to me how many of them are still in school, and then I don't want to add them to the page because their occupation is basically in flux.

They pursue master's degrees, and some of them are even going for a PhD, or even a second master's degree! It's insane for me because I'm on the last year of my bachelor's degree and I can't imagine staying in school any longer to finish even a 2-year master's degree, let alone anything beyond that. I desperately want to learn by doing; I loved my internships so much. But I digress.

Anyway, as a result, some Decathletes from 2000-ish are still in school / went back to school. How they can do that, I'll never know.

It's probably just me, and I shouldn't be talking until I'm in their shoes, a.k.a. my late 20s...

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Dec 16 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #5

Guests

I'm still in school part time and working as a lab technician in a psychological research lab at UNL. So no, nothing notable.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Dec 16 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #6

Guests

Some of my old teammates are lawyers, some of them med students, some are chemists, some work in government. One is a rocket scientist. One is a playwright. Two work in China now. Some are married and have kids. One never finished high school. One is now homeless. One took his own life last year.

They're all "notable," to me. They were my teammates and are my friends. It strikes me as a little bit strange to draw in someone else's life from high school to where they are today when the two points are separated by 20 years of life and experience.

I could go on for numerous reasons, but I don't want to turn this into a diatribe. It just strikes me as a little odd.

+Quote Post
madcap
post Dec 19 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Dec 16 2013, 04:25 PM) *
I'm still in school part time and working as a lab technician in a psychological research lab at UNL. So no, nothing notable.

I know the feeling; I'm still in school. "Student & Resident Advisor" would be my "occupation" if I had to go on the page now.

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Dec 16 2013, 04:33 PM) *
Some of my old teammates are lawyers, some of them med students, some are chemists, some work in government. One is a rocket scientist. One is a playwright. Two work in China now. Some are married and have kids. One never finished high school. One is now homeless. One took his own life last year.

They're all "notable," to me. They were my teammates and are my friends. It strikes me as a little bit strange to draw in someone else's life from high school to where they are today when the two points are separated by 20 years of life and experience.

I could go on for numerous reasons, but I don't want to turn this into a diatribe. It just strikes me as a little odd.

Actually, I do feel a bit odd adding to the page sometimes for some of these very reasons.

Hell, it used to say "notable Academic Decathlon alumni," but I dislike that title now - it's just "Academic Decathlon Alumni," thankfully.

Wikipedia articles for schools and universities that often list their "notable alumni" inspired me to start this project. The DDSIC page was originally just a small list (http://demidecscores.gilslotd.com/w/index.php?title=Alumni&oldid=30280). But then I reread this LA Times article, which is one of my favorites; it's about the first AcaDeca Nationals champions from Palo Alto 1982 and where they were 12 years later: http://articles.latimes.com/1994-04-15/loc...334_1_palo-alto. I love that article - it's neat how the varsities dominate the story - and then I wanted to expand the page further to include them.

Yes, we do miss out on a lot of detail by focusing on careers and skipping 20-30 years in some cases, but it seems like a good way to advertise Academic Decathlon by answering a simple question: Where are they now?

But, of course, I still feel odd about the page sometimes. Perhaps you have an idea for a different format for the page. Perhaps we could just tell cool stories like how Robert Magee (ECR 1997 varsity + top scorer) and Nancy Fu (ECR 1998 honors + top scorer) got married.

+Quote Post
Guest_Martin_*
post Jan 29 2014, 05:46 AM
Post #8

Guests

I certainly don't deserve recognition among "Notable Academic Decathlon Alumni", but I'd be happy to be listed as a former-competitor/current-coach. My name is Evan Martin, I competed with Duncanville HS (TX) in 2003 and 2004, won a silver medal at state competition (music) in 2004, and am currently coaching with Berkner HS in Richardson (TX). Lake Highlands HS (also RISD) also currently has a former Keller HS AcDec alum as an assistant coach, but I'd rather force him to pop in and say hello to claim his credit. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Martin: Jan 29 2014, 05:48 AM

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 4 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Martin @ Jan 29 2014, 12:46 AM) *
I certainly don't deserve recognition among "Notable Academic Decathlon Alumni", but I'd be happy to be listed as a former-competitor/current-coach. My name is Evan Martin, I competed with Duncanville HS (TX) in 2003 and 2004, won a silver medal at state competition (music) in 2004, and am currently coaching with Berkner HS in Richardson (TX). Lake Highlands HS (also RISD) also currently has a former Keller HS AcDec alum as an assistant coach, but I'd rather force him to pop in and say hello to claim his credit. wink.gif

Why does everybody think it says "Notable"?? tongue.gif I strongly dislike that word in this context; it hasn't said "Notable" for a long time and it never will as long as I'm here and loud. I severely regret making it say "Notable" in the first place.

Thank you very much. Ok, I hope to hear from Lake Highlands. smile.gif

This post has been edited by madcap: Feb 4 2014, 01:09 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2018 - 08:09 PM