Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hi, and goodbye, a note from the board emperor emeritus
teeling
post Dec 16 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Hi, guys. My name is Kevin Teeling. If you're new you don't know me, and if you're old you probably forgot me. That's all on me, of course. This is a wall of tl;dr text but I'd like to ask you to indulge me.

I was one of the founders of demidectalk.com in its current iteration (after the purple boards, which probably almost nobody remembers, and not counting the reboot, after which Dean Webb/zzzptm took over primary responsibility) and am still (nominally) an admin here.

I can't believe it's already been 10 years since I began competing. In those 10 years, I've graduated, started and dropped out of college, got married and had a son, and abandoned and re-converted to Christianity. In the next couple years, I might finish my degree; I will almost certainly be entering into full-time pastoral ministry. All of which is to say that I'm - well, not old, but much older than I ever realized I would be. Growing up makes you reflect on things.

So, first of all, a note to the admin/mod team here. Sorry to leave all you folks hanging. Thanks for taking care of everything. Apparently you were the right people for the job. Keep up the good work.

Seriously. I mean that all sincerely.

The most important lessons that I really learned from AcDec are only now starting to coalesce in my mind. But I would still like to share them with you.

1. There is no substitute for hard work. There is a myth, to which I willingly subscribed, that talent is enough to wing it, and that work is for people without talent. That's why I was a scholastic, and never quite achieved as much as I wanted; that's why I'm a college dropout. The truth is that success usually depends on work.

2. Don't get hung up on the past or the future. Enjoy good memories, learn from bad ones, and plan for success. But you live in now, so take advantage of it. The past is done and over, and the future depends on now.

3. Priorities are part of life. Everything has an opportunity cost. There are so many good things in life that distract us from the best. The worthwhile things will require some sacrifice. That's how you know they matter.

My life and priorities have shifted dramatically. I am and have been unable to keep up with this board, or even come close. But I should have mentioned it a while back. Anyway, I am now. Now that I have made some explanation, I regret to announce that this is the end. I am going. I am leaving now. Good-bye!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Dec 16 2011, 04:34 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Good luck, Kevin. Thanks for all the help. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Dec 16 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #3

Guests

Later, Teeling. Live long and prosper. Don't ever trust a Chinese restaurant that sells fried chicken.

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post Dec 16 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #4

Guests

Au revoir.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2018 - 09:26 AM