IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would a speech about dyed hair be allowed?, Would hair color be considered a prop?
Guest_Margaret_*
post Oct 25 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Guests

Two years ago I put red streaks in my hair, and they have been there ever since. I want to write my speech on people's reaction to my alternative hair color, but I'm worried that my hair would be considered a prop for my speech. Would the judges allow it or should I change my topic? Thank you so much for your help!
Margaret
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Oct 25 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #2

Guests

I wouldn't call it a prop, but I will step up to tell you that some interview (and even speech) judges are flagrant dicks about appearances, bombing people with dyed hair because it's not "business-appropriate".

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post Oct 25 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Oct 25 2012, 04:30 PM) *
I wouldn't call it a prop, but I will step up to tell you that some interview (and even speech) judges are flagrant dicks about appearances, bombing people with dyed hair because it's not "business-appropriate".

I wouldn't worry too much about this. I got marked off for an "outdated" haircut once. Some judges are dicks about appearance just for the fun of it. If the judge is gonna be a dick, they're gonna be a dick.

Margaret, you need to be extremely careful about the tone of your speech. If you come across as "Waah, people discriminate against me because of something I have total control over!", your score will be dreadful (that or you'll get judges that feel guilty, which gives you a high score, catapults you into speech showcase, and makes every single decathlete in your state hate your guts. Not that that's ever happened in Ohio or anything...).

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Oct 26 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Oct 25 2012, 03:30 PM) *

This. I once lost three points (meaning 30) in speech nonverbal because a judge didn't think girls were supposed to wear skirts. And it was a classy skirt.

+Quote Post
Guest_swaswa_*
post Oct 26 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #5

Guests

Sort of related:

My teammate once had comments written on the back of his score sheet that said "You're full of crap... don't be like a varsity and make up stuff during your interview, you're bad at it"

Another one of my teammates had a comment that said "You have a cute smile smile.gif"

facepalm.gif

This post has been edited by swaswa: Oct 26 2012, 08:31 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Oct 27 2012, 02:11 AM
Post #6

Guests

I've been told to assume my judges will all be middle-aged, white, very conservative Christians. Don't say anything that could possibly offend them.

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post Oct 27 2012, 02:18 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Oct 26 2012, 10:11 PM) *
I've been told to assume my judges will all be middle-aged, white, very conservative Christians. Don't say anything that could possibly offend them.

"And so, that's why gays, atheists, and abortionists are all in league with Satan."

^ Use that line for instant 1000.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Oct 27 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (swaswa @ Oct 26 2012, 01:31 AM) *
My teammate once had comments written on the back of his score sheet that said "You're full of crap... don't be like a varsity and make up stuff during your interview, you're bad at it"

That's smurfing offensive. I was a varsity and I don't even make smurf up in job interviews.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2018 - 08:00 AM