Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conference realignment, Yes this is a serious discussion
Guest_the godfather_*
post Aug 13 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #1

Guests

So it seems now that Texas A&M have accepted an invitation to join the SEC, the dominoes look ready to fall. Probably starting with Florida State, and then who knows. We escaped the super conference last year will this year be different?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Aug 13 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (the godfather @ Aug 13 2011, 05:01 PM) *
So it seems now that Texas A&M have accepted an invitation to join the SEC, the dominoes look ready to fall. Probably starting with Florida State, and then who knows. We escaped the super conference last year will this year be different?

I'm still bitter the U of Utah got a PAC-10 invite and BYU got snubbed by everybody.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Aug 13 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

FSU is saying they haven't heard from the SEC; the rumors are them, Clemson, Missouri, but id like Georgia Tech there. A good school to boost the academics and a solid fball and bball program.

+Quote Post
Guest_the godfather_*
post Aug 13 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Aug 13 2011, 01:03 PM) *
FSU is saying they haven't heard from the SEC; the rumors are them, Clemson, Missouri, but id like Georgia Tech there. A good school to boost the academics and a solid fball and bball program.

I don't think Georgia Tech fits the typical SEC mode though. A&M with their fan base and traditions makes sense, so does Clemson and Florida State. Missouri is a bit of a stretch, but that move would be more of bringing in the St. Louis and Kansas City markets.

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Aug 13 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ Aug 13 2011, 06:06 PM) *
QUOTE (michelangelo @ Aug 13 2011, 10:28 AM) *

I'm still bitter the U of Utah got a PAC-10 invite and BYU got snubbed by everybody.

This is because Utah is awesome and BYU sucks. Have fun being independent!

This is because Utah is a public school and the PAC doesn't want to deal with BYU's religious affiliations.

Er...that's my conspiracy theory, anyway...

Edit: I'm faced with a horrible choice. I can either fly to WI to go to my sister's wedding reception on the 17th of September, or I can try and find somebody to go to the BYU-Utah game with. I'm leaning towards the latter...

This post has been edited by michelangelo: Aug 13 2011, 06:42 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_the godfather_*
post Aug 13 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (michelangelo @ Aug 13 2011, 01:40 PM) *

This is because Utah is a public school and the PAC doesn't want to deal with BYU's religious affiliations.

Er...that's my conspiracy theory, anyway...

Edit: I'm faced with a horrible choice. I can either fly to WI to go to my sister's wedding reception on the 17th of September, or I can try and find somebody to go to the BYU-Utah game with. I'm leaning towards the latter...

But then you miss the chance to hook up with a drunk bridesmaid wink.gif Haha but I think you should support your sister and go to the wedding, but that is just my opinion. It will be like me having to decide a family members wedding vs the UT vs OU game. Tough call

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Aug 13 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ Aug 13 2011, 06:48 PM) *
um, i don't think people who go to byu hook up with drunk bridesmaids...or have sisters with drunk bridesmaids.

you should probably go to the wedding; you don't wanna miss that for another utes victory, do you?

Well, the thing is, she's getting married in Draper, UT over labor day weekend and will have a reception here that same weekend. So, the WI reception is just to please people that aren't able to make it out here for the real one. So I think that makes skipping it way more justified.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Aug 13 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

So the ags moving to the sec, what's the domino order after that?

1. FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, I.e. someone from the ACC to the SEC East
2. South Florida, Central Florida, maybe a West Virginia or Rutgers to ACC (I think a florida team to keep the tv market intact)
3. UT gets to be an independent, which seems like what they wanted.
4. Big XII dissolves- Missou and either Iowa State or one of the Kansas' joins the Big Ten
5. Oklahom and Okie state (contractually obligated to stay together) go to the PAC 12 with maybe Texas Tech and either TCU, Boise, or most likely BYU for the first 16 team conference.
6. The rest of the Big 12 (baylor and two of ku, ksu, and iowa state) either goes independent or snatches up a lot of cusa and the wac (rice, uh, ut san antonio and texas state, tulane, uab, lousiana tech) and form a new conference, maybe a remake of the southwest conference.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Aug 13 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #9

Guests

No! They can't leave. It ruins the Big 10 (base 12) and Big twelve (base 8) joke :'(

+Quote Post
Guest_beregond_*
post Aug 14 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (michelangelo @ Aug 13 2011, 11:40 AM) *

That's not a conspiracy theory at all; it makes scheduling hell with Sunday shenanigans, and all the Pac-12 schools are, generally, very good research institutions separated from religious affiliation. It's why they would never take Baylor either, despite reaching to nom all of Texas up.

+Quote Post
Guest_beregond_*
post Aug 14 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Aug 13 2011, 12:58 PM) *

2. South Florida, Central Florida, maybe a West Virginia or Rutgers to ACC (I think a florida team to keep the tv market intact)
4. Big XII dissolves- Missou and either Iowa State or one of the Kansas' joins the Big Ten
5. Oklahom and Okie state (contractually obligated to stay together) go to the PAC 12 with maybe Texas Tech and either TCU, Boise, or most likely BYU for the first 16 team conference.
6. The rest of the Big 12 (baylor and two of ku, ksu, and iowa state) either goes independent or snatches up a lot of cusa and the wac (rice, uh, ut san antonio and texas state, tulane, uab, lousiana tech) and form a new conference, maybe a remake of the southwest conference.

Thoughts from the West Coast:
BYU, as I articulated above, isn't coming to the Pac-12, especially since they've already struck out on their own. TCU is already Big East-bound. Boise has the football cachet, obviously, but not the basketball ability and CERTAINLY not the academic qualities.
I'd say Clemson, actually, may be the most likely to go to SEC East. Their culture has struck me as far more SEC than FSU.
UT's on the road to independence already, it's only a matter of time.
Mizzou's definitely off to the Big Ten at some point, they've wanted it for ages.
I could see OU, OSU, and TT to the Pac-12, possibly, but there's no secret that the crown jewel of Larry Scott's Big 12 groping session was Texas. I think he'd welcome those three in, but it's not quite the OMFGLOLBIG12BBQ. And I just don't think the university presidents of the Pac-12 would stoop to Boise - academic reputation is pretty big, and you think Cal and Stanfurd would want to share a conference with Boise State?

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Aug 17 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (beregond @ Aug 14 2011, 12:26 AM) *

BYU, as I articulated above, isn't coming to the Pac-12, especially since they've already struck out on their own. TCU is already Big East-bound. Boise has the football cachet, obviously, but not the basketball ability and CERTAINLY not the academic qualities.
I'd say Clemson, actually, may be the most likely to go to SEC East. Their culture has struck me as far more SEC than FSU.
Mizzou's definitely off to the Big Ten at some point, they've wanted it for ages.
I could see OU, OSU, and TT to the Pac-12, possibly, but there's no secret that the crown jewel of Larry Scott's Big 12 groping session was Texas. I think he'd welcome those three in, but it's not quite the OMFGLOLBIG12BBQ. And I just don't think the university presidents of the Pac-12 would stoop to Boise - academic reputation is pretty big, and you think Cal and Stanfurd would want to share a conference with Boise State?

They don't mind sharing one with ASU...

+Quote Post
Guest_beregond_*
post Aug 17 2011, 03:42 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (michelangelo @ Aug 16 2011, 08:06 PM) *
QUOTE (beregond @ Aug 14 2011, 12:26 AM) *

I think even ASU is above Boise...RM or Widget, concur?

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post Aug 17 2011, 03:46 AM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (beregond @ Aug 16 2011, 10:42 PM) *
QUOTE (michelangelo @ Aug 16 2011, 08:06 PM) *

I think even ASU is above Boise...RM or Widget, concur?

Football-wise, no. Every other aspect of a university, yes

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Aug 17 2011, 04:23 AM
Post #15

Guests

I'm only joshin' smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_beregond_*
post Aug 17 2011, 05:03 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ Aug 16 2011, 09:42 PM) *
well, none of this is happening, because no one stopped to consider why the hell the sec would want a&m.

Eh, they're still thinking. They're the girl who everyone is falling over to ask to the prom, and she can just take her damn time and pick the two men who would look best on her arms and best complement her entourage.

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Aug 17 2011, 05:05 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (beregond @ Aug 17 2011, 06:03 AM) *
well, none of this is happening, because no one stopped to consider why the hell the sec would want a&m.

Eh, they're still thinking. They're the girl who everyone is falling over to ask to the prom, and she can just take her damn time and pick the two men who would look best on her arms and best complement her entourage.

...and A&M would be that guy? Keep in mind, this is a prom queen that's already pretty dominant. Why should she care that some Academic Decathlete has asked her to prom when she's already got the starting quarterback and all-state shooting guard completing her entourage?

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post Aug 17 2011, 06:06 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (michelangelo @ Aug 17 2011, 12:05 AM) *

...and A&M would be that guy? Keep in mind, this is a prom queen that's already pretty dominant. Why should she care that some Academic Decathlete has asked her to prom when she's already got the starting quarterback and all-state shooting guard completing her entourage?

My understanding is that none of the members of the SEC could agree on a 14th team to invite, and as such, no invite was extended to ATM (13 being unlucky and all).

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Aug 17 2011, 06:10 AM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (Captaink @ Aug 17 2011, 06:06 AM) *
QUOTE (michelangelo @ Aug 17 2011, 12:05 AM) *

My understanding is that none of the members of the SEC could agree on a 14th team to invite, and as such, no invite was extended to ATM (13 being unlucky and all).

I know that was a piece of it, but I'm not sure how big a slice that was of this pizza. I mean, the school presidents met and decided they were simply satisfied with what they had. I thought the biggest piece was that the SEC really doesn't have anything to gain from adding A&M and the complications of adding yet another just weren't worth it to them.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Aug 17 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

The main argument is the recruiting base the SEC would gain from adding the ags. Only LSU really pulls from TX from the SEC, and TX is either 1st 2nd or 3rd every year in the quality of recruits and only FL can match that in their area. Also with the Pac 12 inking a crazy tv contract, the SEC could add a couple of teams and get an amazing contract. FSU makes sense to me, but maybe for the exact reason stated above, they don't want them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 02:36 AM