7 minutes, 50 seconds.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ahundredjarsofsk...
post May 17 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #82

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 722,354

Soc sci is really thin. So is science; some of the images are pretty... basic MS paint like. (You'll know it when you see it.)

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post May 17 2018, 06:14 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 722,347

QUOTE (ahundredjarsofsky @ May 17 2018, 09:59 AM) *
Soc sci is really thin. So is science; some of the images are pretty... basic MS paint like. (You'll know it when you see it.)

Do you mean the content or the file size and images? Check the art reproductions- they look artifacted. I just read the first three paragraphs of sosci and there's already...a lot of info.

--------------------

Competition
2008 Texas State team champions- Pearland
2008 Texas State individual champion varsity category

Coach
2017 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles
2018 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post May 17 2018, 07:30 PM
Post #84

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 721,993

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ May 14 2018, 03:32 PM) *
QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ May 14 2018, 01:30 PM) *
I didn't know where to post this so: Apparently the schools in my area have decided to have a new competition: Hmong Academic Decathlon. Does USAD have a copyright on that term? If so they should send a cease and desist order. How rude to base the name of your new competition after one that has been established for so long. Somebody connected should reach out to USAD and check into this underhanded theft taking place in Fresno County.

Why are they calling it Hmong Academic Decathlon? That seems like such a random name. Does 'hmong' stand for something?

With any luck the Hmong would get a mention in the social science packet as a group of people the US recruited to help fight the communists in Vietnam, and then they were allowed to come here as refugees when we didn't get the job done.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 22 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #85

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

BRB, I need to trademark "Academic Decathlon." If not me, who? If not now, when?

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
ahundredjarsofsk...
post May 24 2018, 09:54 AM
Post #86

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ May 17 2018, 06:14 PM) *
QUOTE (ahundredjarsofsky @ May 17 2018, 09:59 AM) *

Do you mean the content or the file size and images? Check the art reproductions- they look artifacted. I just read the first three paragraphs of sosci and there's already...a lot of info.

Yeah, I should correct that; thin in the sense of not seeming to be attempting analysis or critical evaluation of what is most important to cover. What I've been through feels like an info dump without narrative / selectivity - so many allusions to various topics. Maybe it'll get better past the introductory parts.

+Quote Post
ahundredjarsofsk...
post May 24 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #87

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ May 17 2018, 07:30 PM) *
With any luck the Hmong would get a mention in the social science packet as a group of people the US recruited to help fight the communists in Vietnam, and then they were allowed to come here as refugees when we didn't get the job done.

one reference!
"Although Kennedy used the C .I .A . to arm around nine thousand members of the Hmong ethnic group to fight against North Vietnamese incursions into Laos, in the end he had to secure a shaky peace in the Laotian civil war at a conference in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1962"

+Quote Post
Labiba Uddin
post May 24 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #88

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 720,461

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ May 14 2018, 01:30 PM) *
I didn't know where to post this so: Apparently the schools in my area have decided to have a new competition: Hmong Academic Decathlon. Does USAD have a copyright on that term? If so they should send a cease and desist order. How rude to base the name of your new competition after one that has been established for so long. Somebody connected should reach out to USAD and check into this underhanded theft taking place in Fresno County.

http://usad.org/Curriculum/Copyright-Information.aspx

“United States Academic Decathlon®, U.S.A.D, USAD, Academic Decathlon®, U.S. Academic Decathlon®, and Super Quiz™ are trademarks of the United States Academic Decathlon® Association and may not be used in any way for commercial purposes without the express written permission of USAD. All rights reserved.”

--------------------
Labiba Uddin
Sophomore
Wakeland High School Honors 2017-

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 30 2018, 12:08 PM
Post #89

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

^ Yeah, I was disapppointed. I really wanted to own those trademarks and then launch a version of Academic Decathlon for retirement centers...

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Jun 1 2018, 04:49 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 721,993

Thanks Demidec for giving me 2018-2019 math tests that I already paid for in 2015-2016. Seems they should write new ones since they are charging a fee for curriculum and tests for next year.

+Quote Post
soudyacadec
post Jun 1 2018, 05:01 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 722,045

I could be wrong, but I don't think DD has too many volunteers for math writing. Or they are just recycling to save money. Who knows.

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Jun 2 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 722,352

Even though they are separate entities, keep in mind that DemiDec continues to rapidly expand the World Scholar's Cup competition and they are putting on more than 120 meets around the world this year. They have their first summer Global WSC Meet in Kuala Lumpur in less than three weeks and they may have 4000 students in close to 40 nations compete in that meet alone. Then they have the Barcelona Global Meet a month later which will top 2500 students from 50-or-so nations. I'm not sure how many of their DemiDec writers also help with WSC but some do. I should have asked Josephine who writes some of their resource guides about it - she had flown in to Houston from Idaho for the regional we hosted last month, but I didn't get a chance to ask that question.

--------------------
Coach, Ridge Point High School, Missouri City, Texas
AcDec state participants, 2016 & 2017
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Senior Team Champions, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018

+Quote Post
ahundredjarsofsk...
post Jun 6 2018, 04:18 AM
Post #93

I had all of them rewritten and audited, although some used the 2015-6 tests for reference and it's possible they look stylistically similar even if the numbers were changed. Which tests are you thinking of, specifically?

FWIW, Josephine is director of curriculum at WSC and DemiDec - she's overseeing our global round testing right now in addition to running DemiDec. I also do double duty of sorts and will be at KL globals.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2018 - 08:29 AM