Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State 2018
Guest_Dave C_*
post Feb 17 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #1

Guests

No one else made a topic for state yet, but it's time. Nebraska is about to start the super quiz. If anyone is interested, the awards will live stream here at 3:20 central time (less than an hour).
https://mediastream.bellevue.edu/Mediasite/...e94d28123ad281d
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post Feb 18 2018, 01:05 AM
Post #2

Guests

Creighton Prep wins Nebraska. Mount Michael won small school, but we were about 10% behind Prep. I'd report our scores, but the essay scores from USAD are wrong. Lots of scores over 1000 somehow.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dan Z_*
post Feb 18 2018, 01:40 AM
Post #3

Guests

Thanks for the link to the live broadcast, I was watching and rooting for you guys until the satellite feed on my end went south. (Immediately before they said who was going to represent Nebraska, so the update was appreciated).

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 18 2018, 08:26 AM
Post #4

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Dave C @ Feb 17 2018, 09:05 PM) *
Creighton Prep wins Nebraska. Mount Michael won small school, but we were about 10% behind Prep. I'd report our scores, but the essay scores from USAD are wrong. Lots of scores over 1000 somehow.

Thanks for starting the thread and posting the link!! I wish I could've watched the stream! I'm sorry you weren't State Champions again, but it seems like they must have a really good team this year if they beat you by that much. Are you still going to Nationals as a Division IV team?

That Essay thing is weird; I remember some other coaches/regions having that issue a year or two ago when the new USAD software first came out. I think that it means those Essay scores added up three scores and divided by 2? Does anyone remember?

Also, since we're talking about State, Martinsville won Indiana with 43,009.0 last weekend and Reitz Memorial (39,434.4) will also be heading to Frisco as a Division IV team!

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post Feb 18 2018, 02:12 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 18 2018, 02:26 AM) *
Thanks for starting the thread and posting the link!! I wish I could've watched the stream! I'm sorry you weren't State Champions again, but it seems like they must have a really good team this year if they beat you by that much. Are you still going to Nationals as a Division IV team?

That Essay thing is weird; I remember some other coaches/regions having that issue a year or two ago when the new USAD software first came out. I think that it means those Essay scores added up three scores and divided by 2? Does anyone remember?

Prep was very strong. Their scholastic scores are crazy. But I definitely hope to get us to nationals as division IV, pending our fundraising.

Good thought on the 3 vs 2 scores on essay, but it doesn't work. My highest kid had 1744, and other teams had scores over 1500. A coach here suggested that maybe it's two judges added up but not divided by 2, but that means my top honors only scored 616, and I really don't think that's possible. We're hoping to hear soon, as it drives me crazy not to have complete scores to look at.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 19 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (Dave C @ Feb 18 2018, 10:12 AM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 18 2018, 02:26 AM) *

Prep was very strong. Their scholastic scores are crazy. But I definitely hope to get us to nationals as division IV, pending our fundraising.

Good thought on the 3 vs 2 scores on essay, but it doesn't work. My highest kid had 1744, and other teams had scores over 1500. A coach here suggested that maybe it's two judges added up but not divided by 2, but that means my top honors only scored 616, and I really don't think that's possible. We're hoping to hear soon, as it drives me crazy not to have complete scores to look at.

Yeah, their Scholastics must be crazy if one was the highest scorer in the state!! I'm really curious what score they put up... potentially one of the top five in Nebraska's history?

You still don't have corrected scores yet? I guess I don't remember what the Essay issue was exactly. No one else here does? Also, I feel like you must have really friendly Essay graders in Nebraska if you think it impossible for your top Honors to have only gotten a 616. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Joe M_*
post Feb 20 2018, 12:25 AM
Post #7

Guests

Hello, I'm a member of Creighton Prep's team. I don't have exact scores because our essay scores were also wrong, but I will say that we very likely scored over 47,000.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Feb 20 2018, 12:47 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (Joe M @ Feb 19 2018, 04:25 PM) *
Hello, I'm a member of Creighton Prep's team. I don't have exact scores because our essay scores were also wrong, but I will say that we very likely scored over 47,000.

Nice. Good job.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post Feb 20 2018, 01:34 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 19 2018, 05:24 PM) *
You still don't have corrected scores yet? I guess I don't remember what the Essay issue was exactly. No one else here does? Also, I feel like you must have really friendly Essay graders in Nebraska if you think it impossible for your top Honors to have only gotten a 616. tongue.gif

Still no essay scores, but I'm pretty sure we will get them tomorrow. We haven't had local essay scorers in a few years...we do online with USAD. Scores have been pretty good recently, with plenty of 800`s and 900's.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 20 2018, 02:10 AM
Post #10

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (Joe M @ Feb 19 2018, 08:25 PM) *

Holy mackerel. That puts you at around the third-best Nebraska team ever, at least score-wise. Congratulations!! Also gives you a very good run for the Division II National Championship title. smile.gif Do report back when you get the finalized scores!!

QUOTE (Dave C @ Feb 19 2018, 09:34 PM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 19 2018, 05:24 PM) *

Still no essay scores, but I'm pretty sure we will get them tomorrow. We haven't had local essay scorers in a few years...we do online with USAD. Scores have been pretty good recently, with plenty of 800`s and 900's.

That's interesting; USAD's graders are definitely not always nice. Maybe y'all are just actually really good at Essay writing. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post Feb 20 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #11

Guests

State score for Mount Michael: 43,978
Breakdown:
Six subjects (no social science): 25140
Subjectives: 13238
Super quiz (social science): 5600

The essay issue was a problem with the scoring software not receiving an update. No team rankings changed, but the top overall scorer in the state DID change from a Prep scholastic to a Pius honors. As always, I will not report scores from other schools, but my top scorer was 7539 (nine subjects).

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 20 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #12

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (Dave C @ Feb 20 2018, 01:46 PM) *
Breakdown:

The essay issue was a problem with the scoring software not receiving an update. No team rankings changed, but the top overall scorer in the state DID change from a Prep scholastic to a Pius honors. As always, I will not report scores from other schools, but my top scorer was 7539 (nine subjects).

Congrats!! That's super impressive! A thousand points higher than last year, but this year seems to have been much more competitive. Do you know if you were second in the state?

Also, geez, subs look pretty harsh. :/

+Quote Post
Guest_Dave C_*
post Feb 20 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 20 2018, 12:40 PM) *
QUOTE (Dave C @ Feb 20 2018, 01:46 PM) *
Breakdown:

Congrats!! That's super impressive! A thousand points higher than last year, but this year seems to have been much more competitive. Do you know if you were second in the state?

Also, geez, subs look pretty harsh. :/

Thanks. No, we were 3rd overall. Prep and Pius both beat us. And yes, subs definitely dropped for us. Last year we were at 14730. Luckily, we lost by well more than those 1500 points.

+Quote Post
Guest_Joe M_*
post Feb 20 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #14

Guests

State score for Creighton Prep: 46,882
My score was a 7,546 out of 9,000 and I was our team's top individual

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 20 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #15

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (Joe M @ Feb 20 2018, 05:54 PM) *
State score for Creighton Prep: 46,882
My score was a 7,546 out of 9,000 and I was our team's top individual

Congrats! That's amazing!! Do you know how much you beat Pius X by?

+Quote Post
Mattie
post Feb 21 2018, 03:53 PM
Post #16

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 719,769

Here's the breakdown for Prep's state scores (like what Dave offered for MM):

Six subjects (no social science): 27120
Subjectives: 14162

I'm one of the coaches at Prep; have lurked on the board for the last few years, am ready to join the light biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 21 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Mattie @ Feb 21 2018, 10:53 AM) *
Here's the breakdown for Prep's state scores (like what Dave offered for MM):

Six subjects (no social science): 27120
Subjectives: 14162

I'm one of the coaches at Prep; have lurked on the board for the last few years, am ready to join the light biggrin.gif

Congratulations on an epic comeback in winning state this year and welcome to the light! biggrin.gif

Teams like this year's Prep team make me proud to have competed in Nebraska.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 25 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #18

Turtlemaster.

A couple of State updates! Got back late last night after travelling to Connecticut to run their State competition; happy to say everything went smoothly! Huge thanks to Trumbull High School for being such amazing hosts. They won the meet with 32,667.9 points and will be attending Nationals in Frisco. Wootton HS, the one Maryland team, was also there, but they had no Varsities this year and are as such ineligible for Nationals.

In bigger news, Ketchikan High School in Alaska won State for the first time (the first-ever school from the southeast to win) with one of the highest Alaska scores ever recorded -- 42,398.3! Especially amazing considering their student body of fewer than 600 students. Huge congrats to their team and to their coach, former Decathlete Peter Stanton. smile.gif

Oh, and I just saw Kamehameha Hawai'i won Hawai'i!

+Quote Post
Guest_cepae_*
post Feb 26 2018, 02:16 PM
Post #19

Guests

In Georgia, Lakeview-Ft. Oglethorpe HS wins again and will go to Frisco. Parkview HS is also going to Nationals as the Division IV representative. Columbus HS is the Large School Online rep, Villa Rica HS is the Medium School Online rep, and A.R. Johnson HS is the Small School Online rep.

Our program for scanning answer sheets didn't work this weekend due to a Windows 10 update so I have no scores for you all (apparently, scantrons had to be hand-scored...ugh). Congrats to all the winners here and everywhere else.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 27 2018, 03:12 AM
Post #20

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (cepae @ Feb 26 2018, 10:16 AM) *
In Georgia, Lakeview-Ft. Oglethorpe HS wins again and will go to Frisco. Parkview HS is also going to Nationals as the Division IV representative. Columbus HS is the Large School Online rep, Villa Rica HS is the Medium School Online rep, and A.R. Johnson HS is the Small School Online rep.

Our program for scanning answer sheets didn't work this weekend due to a Windows 10 update so I have no scores for you all (apparently, scantrons had to be hand-scored...ugh). Congrats to all the winners here and everywhere else.

Gah, those pesky Windows updates!! That sounds horrific; I'm glad they still managed to get all the scoring done. Congrats to LFO on another title though! Do keep us updated when you get scores! smile.gif

In other news, Lakeview Crystal Wellcome Memorial High School *gasp for air* won Minnesota with 35,876.9 points! They hadn't won since 2014. However, I think St. Peter will still get a trip to Nationals to compete in DIV due to the rule about "having fewer than five teams in a single USAD division".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 04:41 PM