IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using Pentathlon/Octathlon to feed an AcDec team
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post May 7 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Guests

I wasn't sure which of the other forums this fit best, so I'm plopping it right here.
What are your opinions on creating Pentathlon/Octathlon teams for the purpose of identifying potential Decathletes? I realize that an Octathlete cannot compete in Decathlon the same year, but I'm considering recommending to my coach that Octathlon be started as a feeder program, with any outstanding freshmen given the opportunity to join Decathlon as sophomores if the Decathlon team needs new members. I go to a magnet high school, and I know both of our feeder junior highs have a lot of bright kids whose competitive spirits could be harnessed in Octathlon. We currently do not accept rising freshmen into Decathlon because it'd be too much of a scheduling issue to get eighth-graders to study with our returners in the late spring, and until this year, accepting rising sophomores was rare - my team didn't have any sophomores for the Great Depression season, and I was the only sophomore for Imperialism. That said, I'm wondering if an Octathlon program that sends its 'graduates' to Decathlon is a good way for us to recruit baby Decathletes who already have an idea what competition is about.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_varsitychamp_*
post Sep 18 2012, 05:25 AM
Post #2

Guests

I never have a time/reason to post on the forums, but stumbled across this thread. You never received a response to this for some (possibly unknown?) reason.... I think this is an awesome idea. If I carried any weight whatsoever, I'd totally go to my old school district and tell them to do this.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Sep 18 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Guests

I think most Texas programs do this, but the most likely reason why there was no response is that most of us are not from Texas, and thus don't have Pentathlon or Octathalon in our states.

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Sep 18 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #4

Guests

Well, Pentathlon is run by USAD, but I did kind of focus that post on Octathlon. Then there's Texas' Lone Star Challenge, which is five events (math, sci, ss, lit, and essay, plus SQ relay over ss) for upper elementary kids. I feel like we could get lots of baby Decathletes if we went with this...I have friends from other schools who talk about all their freshmen straight out of Pentathlon, and I'm always jealous because we recruit mostly incoming juniors and seniors and therefore are newbie-heavy each year.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2018 - 07:15 AM