IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Right Wing Megathread, ITT: RM gets to be a partisan hack with reckless abandon
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Oct 11 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #341

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 10 2012, 04:32 PM) *
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/a...anks/?hpt=hp_c1

The idea that defense spending is less a handout to special interests than any other part of government spending is a crock.

True, but do keep in mind that "to raise and support armies" is an enumerated power of Congress in the Constitution, whereas providing health care and subsidizing agriculture most definitely are not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 11 2012, 01:27 AM
Post #342

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Oct 10 2012, 06:22 PM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 10 2012, 04:32 PM) *
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/a...anks/?hpt=hp_c1

The idea that defense spending is less a handout to special interests than any other part of government spending is a crock.

True, but do keep in mind that "to raise and support armies" is an enumerated power of Congress in the Constitution, whereas providing health care and subsidizing agriculture most definitely are not.

There's a massive difference between "we're explicitly allowed to do this" and "we actually should be doing this."

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Oct 11 2012, 01:31 AM
Post #343

Guests

I mean, yeah, when the Army says they have enough tanks, Congress should probably stop appropriating money for more tanks. But just because we don't support some of the major military engagements of recent years doesn't mean we should support major defense spending cuts. As I've said before, the U.S. needs to maintain a strong military to deter people who might get ideas about starting World War III.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 11 2012, 01:44 AM
Post #344

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Oct 10 2012, 06:31 PM) *
I mean, yeah, when the Army says they have enough tanks, Congress should probably stop appropriating money for more tanks. But just because we don't support some of the major military engagements of recent years doesn't mean we should support major defense spending cuts. As I've said before, the U.S. needs to maintain a strong military to deter people who might get ideas about starting World War III.

The premise that major defense spending cuts would substantially reduce our deterrent capabilities is completely invalid.

"People who might get ideas about starting World War III" do not exist when we have 12,000 ICBMs aimed at every corner of the globe.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Oct 11 2012, 01:55 AM
Post #345

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 10 2012, 06:44 PM) *

The premise that major defense spending cuts would substantially reduce our deterrent capabilities is completely invalid.

"People who might get ideas about starting World War III" do not exist when we have 12,000 ICBMs aimed at every corner of the globe.

They do when they lack a nation or cohesive group which we could retaliate against.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 11 2012, 03:13 AM
Post #346

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Oct 10 2012, 06:55 PM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 10 2012, 06:44 PM) *

They do when they lack a nation or cohesive group which we could retaliate against.

Then that's not a world war, and all the tanks, aircraft, ships and men in the world are nothing but targets for insurgents, and our presence just brings the targets right to them.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 11 2012, 03:23 AM
Post #347

Guests

My argument here is not really liberal or democratic, it's more about geopolitical and modern military realities. Government in the military-industrial complex is just as slow, inefficient, and monolithic (if not substantially moreso!) than it is in other sectors, and there are ways the U.S. can make its people much safer for much less money than by building a bunch of tanks.

Tanks are designed for the types of battles that don't happen anymore, and the idea that we can use them substantially or cost-effectively in the future is severely misguided and blatantly disregards their place in military history.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 11 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #348

Guests

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/...012-ben-affleck

MITT ROMNEY WANTS TO SPEND AS MUCH AS OBAMA, CUT EVERYONE'S TAXES 20%, AND GIVE EVERYONE A smurf PONY

I THOUGHT HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY GUY...WHAT IS GOING ON?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

+Quote Post
Guest_blondie13_*
post Oct 11 2012, 09:11 PM
Post #349

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 11 2012, 03:17 PM) *
MITT ROMNEY WANTS TO SPEND AS MUCH AS OBAMA, CUT EVERYONE'S TAXES 20%, AND GIVE EVERYONE A smurf PONY

HE CAN'T STEAL VERMIN SUPREME'S PLATFORM THAT IS NOT FAIR!

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Oct 11 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #350

Guests

The candidate that can guarantee me the lowest bacon prices will win my vote.

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Oct 12 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #351

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Oct 11 2012, 05:45 PM) *
The candidate that can guarantee me the lowest bacon prices will win my vote.

This. Yes.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Dec 23 2012, 06:49 AM
Post #352

Guests

Literally the worst.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Jan 18 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #353

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Jul 7 2011, 11:05 PM) *
Someone remind me to keep a running tally of zzzptm's predicting-the-future posts and then post links back to them when they turn out to be false.

Hey, I finally remembered!

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 18 2013, 11:23 PM
Post #354

Guests

His last prediction was probably the wrongest. I can't believe Germany grew 0.7% in 2012.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Jan 19 2013, 02:26 AM
Post #355

Guests

*Warning: generalizations about political groups coming*

What liberals do not understand about Rush Limbaugh is that he loves it when liberals become mortally offended by what he says. Watching them conform exactly to every conservative stereotype of liberal high-minded offense-taking is rather entertaining.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 19 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #356

Guests

That is like saying you think it's funny when people react to horror when hearing of child molesters molesting children because it exactly fits what we expect. Ha ha! Their reactions to things blatantly offensive to their sense of decency fit our expectations! Ha ha!

At least I know the next time I want a cheap laugh, I can always just burn a flag and kill a fetus.

+Quote Post
Guest_michelangelo_*
post Jan 19 2013, 09:22 AM
Post #357

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 19 2013, 03:01 AM) *
That is like saying you think it's funny when people react to horror when hearing of child molesters molesting children because it exactly fits what we expect. Ha ha! Their reactions to things blatantly offensive to their sense of decency fit our expectations! Ha ha!

At least I know the next time I want a cheap laugh, I can always just burn a flag and kill a fetus.

Seriously? That's the best you could come up with to respond to Alaska? i'm loling at that. Come on RM, do better.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Jan 19 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #358

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 19 2013, 01:01 AM) *

Except, you know, Rush Limbaugh didn't actually molest or kill anyone. Minor difference.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 19 2013, 01:23 PM
Post #359

Guests

QUOTE (michelangelo @ Jan 19 2013, 02:22 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 19 2013, 03:01 AM) *

Seriously? That's the best you could come up with to respond to Alaska? i'm loling at that. Come on RM, do better.

I'm sorry, is this a trash talk thread or did you have something of value to add?

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Apr 6 2016, 08:54 PM
Post #360

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

EPIC GRAVEDIG.
LITERALLY.

German growth of 0.7% is not an overall saving of the Eurozone, which saw an overall worsening of conditions in 2013. True, it didn't tank, but it didn't get much better.

Also, Obama won in 2012. Got that one.

As for the GOP base? Man, it is one big house of messed up all kinds of crazy. How in the world did *TED CRUZ* become the "anyone but Trump" candidate? Especially when, just a few months ago, there were "anyone but Trump or Cruz" candidates?

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2018 - 06:48 AM