Reply to this topicStart new topic
> California Regionals 2018, Always high CAliber
TinDefacto
post Jan 28 2018, 06:10 AM
Post #1

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

California's Regionals competitions conclude* this Saturday!! Let's talk about it. biggrin.gif

*Some regions (LAUSD, LA, Orange, and probably others) did subjectives today, and testing is on the third. Some awards ceremonies will be that day, but a lot of them will be up to two weeks later. California, you are strange. Shine on, you crazy beast.

I will try to do some predictions this week, but no promises -- I'll be spending most of the week frantically preparing for the Massachusetts competition! Good luck to everyone in your preparations this week!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Alex Ballard_*
post Jan 28 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #2

Guests

Here are my very brief predictions for CA:

ECR will have the highest overall score in LAUSD, CA, and the nation. They have an insanely strong and balanced team this year (one of the best ever), but I also would not be too quick to count GHC out of things!

I know more about OC, being that it is our county, but I think this year is going to be the closest in a long time. All of the top 4 teams (Woodbridge, Westminster, Valencia, and Trabuco Hills) have been close throughout this whole year, so it is genuinely a toss-up to see who is going to win it this year. Of course, I am hoping that we come out on top, but we are going against some perennial powerhouses!

At this time, I won't make any scores predictions because the level of test difficulty could sway some things. I might have a better idea of that after this Saturday.

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Feb 3 2018, 07:53 PM
Post #3

Guests

Math and social science are done. Kids liked the math. Weird.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 3 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Yeah, math was very easy.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 3 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Piper and Luke both got perfect scores in AZ Region 3.

+Quote Post
Guest_Alex Ballard_*
post Feb 4 2018, 12:49 AM
Post #6

Guests

Unofficial Orange County SQ Scores:

1. Westminster - 72 (5040)
2. Trabuco Hills(!!) - 70 (4900)
3. Valencia - 68 (4760)
4. Woodbridge - 66 (4620)

There may be some other dark horse team that beat us, but these were the only ones I was tracking. I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with our team’s performance, and I hope this is they year we break into that perennial top 3 in OC. Regardless, as SQ showed, this is going to be one of the closest battles in recent years for Orange County. Awards on Friday night!

+Quote Post
Guest_Jam11_*
post Feb 4 2018, 03:03 AM
Post #7

Guests

Unofficial Ventura County SQ Results:

1.) Calabasas - 69
2.) Oxnard - 68
3.) La Reina - 64
4.) Westlake - 63
5.) Oak Park B - 60
6.) Moorpark - 56
7.) Oak Park - 53

I wasn't tracking other teams but it didn't look like anyone else broke into this group. Also, I totally forgot that SQ now has math questions, so I believe the results are out of 84.

+Quote Post
Guest_Alex Ballard_*
post Feb 4 2018, 03:25 AM
Post #8

Guests

Paradise HS wins Butte County!

http://www.actionnewsnow.com/content/news/...-472548063.html

+Quote Post
Guest_Alex Ballard_*
post Feb 4 2018, 04:16 AM
Post #9

Guests

Elsinore HS wins Riverside County!

https://www.pe.com/2018/02/03/elsinore-high...emic-decathlon/

+Quote Post
Guest_misterv_*
post Feb 4 2018, 04:44 AM
Post #10

Guests

Riverside County Results
Elsinore wins second county title in a row in a romp. Margin of Victory ~35% over 2nd place team.
Super Quiz
5- San Jacinto HS - 3360
4- Great Oak HD - 3430
3- Hemet High -3630
2- Corona HS- 4060
1- Elsinore-5180

Overall
5- Beaumont HS- 37,641.7
4- San Jacinto - 38,743.8
3- Corona - 39,498.1
2- Great Oak HS-39,863.4
1- Elsinore HS- 53,684.5

This post has been edited by misterv: Feb 4 2018, 04:52 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_hahaha!_*
post Feb 4 2018, 05:25 AM
Post #11

Guests

Just saw that Granada Hills scored 82/84 in Super Quiz!
El Camino and Franklin tied for 2nd with 79

All unofficial.

This post has been edited by hahaha!: Feb 4 2018, 05:26 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Feb 4 2018, 06:14 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (misterv @ Feb 3 2018, 08:44 PM) *
Riverside County Results
Elsinore wins second county title in a row in a romp. Margin of Victory ~35% over 2nd place team.
Super Quiz
5- San Jacinto HS - 3360
4- Great Oak HD - 3430
3- Hemet High -3630
2- Corona HS- 4060
1- Elsinore-5180

Overall
5- Beaumont HS- 37,641.7
3- Corona - 39,498.1
2- Great Oak HS-39,863.4
1- Elsinore HS- 53,684.5

I didn't even know Corona had a team. That's a solid score.

This post has been edited by Allan21996: Feb 4 2018, 06:14 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Feb 4 2018, 06:44 AM
Post #13

Guests

I am not a fan of super quiz. 560 of our 680.5 point defeat was from super quiz. We haven't figured it out the last two years. I find it funny that a team we beat by 9000 points tied us in super quiz. We just aint no good (just like this sentence). Props to Maddy, Daniel, and Sumanjit for sweeping the Dean's Medals though.

http://academicdecathlon.fcoe.org/reports
password: ADReport2018

For the scoremongers!

+Quote Post
Guest_Alex Ballard_*
post Feb 4 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #14

Guests

No surprise here, but Stockdale wins Kern County!

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/academic-d...cd481b0084.html

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 5 2018, 05:06 AM
Post #15

Turtlemaster.

Thanks for posting all those links, Alex! biggrin.gif Jeffrey and I have been compiling team and individual scores we can find here and keeping track of county winners. Sooo many regions have to wait so long for results; we've got a lot more waiting to do still!

QUOTE (misterv @ Feb 4 2018, 12:44 AM) *
Riverside County Results
Super Quiz
5- San Jacinto HS - 3360
4- Great Oak HD - 3430
3- Hemet High -3630
2- Corona HS- 4060
1- Elsinore-5180

Overall
5- Beaumont HS- 37,641.7
3- Corona - 39,498.1
2- Great Oak HS-39,863.4
1- Elsinore HS- 53,684.5

Holy frap. Congratulations to Elsinore; that's extremely impressive!! Do you know the top individuals from the competition?

Big shakeup this year. It's the end of an era now that West Valley isn't competing anymore. I see Hemet was there though, just not in the top five; did they not have a full team again, like in 2016?

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Feb 4 2018, 02:44 AM) *
I am not a fan of super quiz. 560 of our 680.5 point defeat was from super quiz. We haven't figured it out the last two years. I find it funny that a team we beat by 9000 points tied us in super quiz. We just aint no good (just like this sentence). Props to Maddy, Daniel, and Sumanjit for sweeping the Dean's Medals though.

For the scoremongers!

And you won in objectives, too! Wow. That is excruciatingly close. That's extremely impressive though that your Honors managed to sweep the top three (and two over 9k!)! Thanks for the link. smile.gif Did the county change their policy and let you bring as many alternates on the main team as you wanted? How does that work for State rosters?

QUOTE (Alex Ballard @ Feb 4 2018, 01:48 PM) *

Congrats to Stockdale! smile.gif Any individual scores from Kern? I'm curious about that amazing Honors of theirs...

+Quote Post
Guest_Alex Ballard_*
post Feb 5 2018, 06:34 AM
Post #16

Guests

Mater Dei won SoCal Private Region, but no scores available.

http://www.socalprivatead.com/

Also, I believe the awards ceremonies for the "big" counties in CA are as follows:

Monday - Sacramento & Ventura County
Thursday - LA County & San Bernardino
Friday - Orange County & LAUSD

San Diego is the last one on Wednesday, February 21st (I have no idea why it is so late, but I hope they release the divisions for State before this...)

This post has been edited by Alex Ballard: Feb 5 2018, 06:42 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Feb 5 2018, 07:33 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 4 2018, 09:06 PM) *
Thanks for posting all those links, Alex! biggrin.gif Jeffrey and I have been compiling team and individual scores we can find here and keeping track of county winners. Sooo many regions have to wait so long for results; we've got a lot more waiting to do still!

QUOTE (misterv @ Feb 4 2018, 12:44 AM) *
Riverside County Results
Super Quiz
5- San Jacinto HS - 3360
4- Great Oak HD - 3430
3- Hemet High -3630
2- Corona HS- 4060
1- Elsinore-5180

Overall
5- Beaumont HS- 37,641.7
3- Corona - 39,498.1
2- Great Oak HS-39,863.4
1- Elsinore HS- 53,684.5

Holy frap. Congratulations to Elsinore; that's extremely impressive!! Do you know the top individuals from the competition?

Big shakeup this year. It's the end of an era now that West Valley isn't competing anymore. I see Hemet was there though, just not in the top five; did they not have a full team again, like in 2016?

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Feb 4 2018, 02:44 AM) *

For the scoremongers!

And you won in objectives, too! Wow. That is excruciatingly close. That's extremely impressive though that your Honors managed to sweep the top three (and two over 9k!)! Thanks for the link. smile.gif Did the county change their policy and let you bring as many alternates on the main team as you wanted? How does that work for State rosters?

QUOTE (Alex Ballard @ Feb 4 2018, 01:48 PM) *

Congrats to Stockdale! smile.gif Any individual scores from Kern? I'm curious about that amazing Honors of theirs...

The capital region has allowed teams to bring unlimited numbers to the regional competition for a number of years. A few of us in Fresno County have pushed to do this as well, and were finally able to get the votes to allow a modified version. We were allowed to bring 12. How we filled the 12 was up to us (of course we had to have at least, 2,2,2). In our case we had 5 Honors, 4 scholastics, and 2 varsity (once again I was unable to convince someone to be our 3rd). In the past we have been able to bring others (team II, III, etc), but they were not eligible for any awards which in my opinion took any sort of motivation out of wanting to spend a lot time studying. Under the new format all team members are eligible for awards. We were required to identify a super quiz team in advance (December). The plus to this system is that if the kid you think is going to be #5 ends up being second then that kid becomes a counter. We don't have to make cuts and be wrong. It helps schools who have a problem with kids not showing up. My wife coaches for such a school. She has had multiple scholastics not show up so they only have one counter, but she had three team II people there participating, but they couldn't be counted on the competitive team. Now you have some cushion. This year our two extra honors were sophomores who wouldn't have been chosen in a traditional three member system which would have probably meant they wouldn't have stayed since one does Robotics and the other plays club volleyball. Their two medals each will hopefully keep them hungry for more when the seniors graduate. Madeleine, though, is only a junior so we should be good with honors next year.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fútbol Enthusiast_*
post Feb 5 2018, 07:55 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (Alex Ballard @ Feb 4 2018, 10:34 PM) *
Mater Dei won SoCal Private Region, but no scores available.

http://www.socalprivatead.com/

Also, I believe the awards ceremonies for the "big" counties in CA are as follows:

Monday - Sacramento & Ventura County
Thursday - LA County & San Bernardino
Friday - Orange County & LAUSD

San Diego is the last one on Wednesday, February 21st (I have no idea why it is so late, but I hope they release the divisions for State before this...)

The LAUSD awards have been moved to Sunday the 11th! Only a part of the many changes made in the logistics of the competition

+Quote Post
Guest_fyzics_*
post Feb 5 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #19

Guests

Hey, everyone! Sorry I've been so quiet. It's been a bit of a rough year, both with this team (it never quite gelled the way I'd hoped, and I was spoiled from last year), and also personally, as my mom has been sick. But we did win county Saturday, which I am happy about.

I waited to post numbers because the Super Quiz scores were wonky in our score reports. Overall totals got corrected this morning:

Stockdale: Subtotal: 43,158.4 SQ= 4,480 Grand Total: 47,638.4

Wasco: Subtotal: 40,546. SQ= 4,270 Grand Total: 44,816.

It would be AMAZING if Wasco made it as a wildcard - they're a tiny farming community who has never been to states before. We have our fingers crossed for them!

As far as individual scores go...meh. Nothing to write home about in comparison to what the LA and OC teams are putting up. (On the other hand, we may have five returners lined up for next year, and they're good kids, so that's a plus.) Also, the scores are all well-grouped, so that's nice.

H1: 8653
H2: 7816
H3: 7698

S1: 7613
S2: 6596
S3: 5850

V1: 6377
V2: 6101
V3: 5879

Actually typing these scores, I see how jaded I've become. Five years ago, I would have been dancing on the ceiling to see those numbers, and now I'm all nonplussed. I apologize for that! Best of luck to everyone.

I'll be looking for D2 this year, possibly D3, although I think we won't get there. Really, really hoping Wasco comes, too.

Good luck, all!

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 6 2018, 04:32 AM
Post #20

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (fyzics @ Feb 5 2018, 01:11 PM) *
Hey, everyone! Sorry I've been so quiet. It's been a bit of a rough year, both with this team (it never quite gelled the way I'd hoped, and I was spoiled from last year), and also personally, as my mom has been sick. But we did win county Saturday, which I am happy about.

I waited to post numbers because the Super Quiz scores were wonky in our score reports. Overall totals got corrected this morning:

Stockdale: Subtotal: 43,158.4 SQ= 4,480 Grand Total: 47,638.4

Wasco: Subtotal: 40,546. SQ= 4,270 Grand Total: 44,816.

It would be AMAZING if Wasco made it as a wildcard - they're a tiny farming community who has never been to states before. We have our fingers crossed for them!

As far as individual scores go...meh. Nothing to write home about in comparison to what the LA and OC teams are putting up. (On the other hand, we may have five returners lined up for next year, and they're good kids, so that's a plus.) Also, the scores are all well-grouped, so that's nice.

H1: 8653
H2: 7816
H3: 7698

S1: 7613
S2: 6596
S3: 5850

V1: 6377
V2: 6101
V3: 5879

Actually typing these scores, I see how jaded I've become. Five years ago, I would have been dancing on the ceiling to see those numbers, and now I'm all nonplussed. I apologize for that! Best of luck to everyone.

I'll be looking for D2 this year, possibly D3, although I think we won't get there. Really, really hoping Wasco comes, too.

Good luck, all!

Rough years happen, and I'm really sorry this year hasn't been too great for you. Dealing with a parent's illness can be one of the most difficult things, and I'm sending positive thoughts to you and your family. I will say though that I think it is a really amazing thing though that you've gotten to the point where such a good score isn't something to throw corn at! It shows how far you've come, and you may say "jaded", but I say stronger. smile.gif I mean, if this is a down year, and you've got five returning...!

Also, go Wasco Union! I was amazed when I saw that!! I'm really crossing my fingers for them too. It'll be close. If the State cutoff raises the way that Texas's did, they're out of the picture, but I'm holding out hope. That's really amazing. Did your team sweep overall individuals or did Wasco get a couple of people in there?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th October 2018 - 09:44 PM